Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Plus it's not like FFG couldn't or wouldn't resell older models with a new paintjob. They did it with both Aces packs, there's nothing stopping them from making Rebel/Imperial Aces II. Also there's still more EU material to mine, like a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Tbf the awinf ace is a different model with distinct appearance. Rest not so much

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

At the rate Disney is likely to be producing content, and the willingness Lucasfilm seems to have to work with the design team (Imperial Raider), I reckon it is going to be quite hard for FFG to run out of tiny plastic spaceship designs.

I dunno, I feel like they're already scraping the bottom of the barrel. Literally everything in the original trilogy is in there, and most ships from Star Wars Galaxies of all things are in there, too.

Look at the scum ships in Wave 8, the K-Wing, and the TIE Punisher. Those aren't exactly iconic Star Wars classics. Force Awakens might give them enough material for Wave 9, but Wave 10 is going to be some serious B-list poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with mining the old Legends sources for content. Just because they're obscure doesn't make them bad.

Honestly though, I'm really expecting them to pull a couple more sub-factions out with prequel ships. Put Naboo Starfighters, ARC-170s, Delta 7s in a Rebellion-compatible Old Republic faction; Vulture droids, Tri-fighters, maybe the black-painted V-wings in a empire-compatible faction.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

And as boring as AotC and RotS were, there's some fairly cool proto-ties and proto-xwings in there that would work. Even though they've said "no prequels", the Jedi interceptors look fairly cool:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

lenoon posted:

And as boring as AotC and RotS were, there's some fairly cool proto-ties and proto-xwings in there that would work. Even though they've said "no prequels", the Jedi interceptors look fairly cool:

They're alright...but not nearly as cool as the Episode II Delta 7

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't think they'll have trouble coming up with 2-3 ships per faction every 6-9 months for a very long time. Especially now that the Disney Star Wars train is rolling.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm hope there's a Vaksai Starfighter in the pipe for scum, given it's already on the Lightning Reflexes card. Maybe too similar to the Kihrazx? Though that didn't stop the tie F/O.

Actually I'm guessing there'll be a lot of new "variants" of released ships, with updated dials and movement shenanigans, because I really like the new game space that crazy stuff the tallon roll opens up, and I'd like for that to be more available whilst not leaving the old stuff behind completely.

Edit: there's also bomber and defender imperial aces very likely in wave 9, as well as a fix for scyk somewhere.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 10, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've wondered about prequel ships. The prequels were pretty terrible, but the ship designs were among the best parts for me. I'd love to see some prequel factions.

They have certainly seemed willing to go back earlier than epIV, given that stuff from Rebels coming out soon.

I'd hope that this can continue to pretty much be a living game; it has a lot more space left both in game design and world design terms.

I'd love to play a Naboo Cruiser with the docked fighters from Ep 2. They were so shiny.

It really depends how willing they are to mine comics and EU stuff. And that I have no read on at all.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

jivjov posted:

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with mining the old Legends sources for content. Just because they're obscure doesn't make them bad.

Honestly though, I'm really expecting them to pull a couple more sub-factions out with prequel ships. Put Naboo Starfighters, ARC-170s, Delta 7s in a Rebellion-compatible Old Republic faction; Vulture droids, Tri-fighters, maybe the black-painted V-wings in a empire-compatible faction.

Problem here is with the factions. The Republic IS the Empire and the Separatists aren't the Empire at all, though neither are they The Rebellion.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If Scum get Nyx and his bomber that would prequel wouldn't it though? Because he's from the Episode 1 videogames so....

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Problem here is with the factions. The Republic IS the Empire and the Separatists aren't the Empire at all, though neither are they The Rebellion.

I think you'd probably have to add separate Old Republic and Old !Republic factions, I think. They certainly feel distinct enough, though you run into problems rounding out the Old !Republic because so many of their ships were either droids or undifferentiated Geonosians and therefore boring and identical to build/run.

I would love to play the tiny-star-destroyer Jedi starfighter though, that thing was awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Eh, I see it as more of "good guys" vs "bad guys" with no real need to have the game represent the fact that the republic stuff became used as Empire stuff.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

jivjov posted:

Eh, I see it as more of "good guys" vs "bad guys" with no real need to have the game represent the fact that the republic stuff became used as Empire stuff.

Sure, if they had called it Light Side vs Dark Side (even though The Republic and Separatists are both run by the Dark Side) like the LCG does, but the factions are Rebels and Imperials. It would still be weird to fly clone trooper pilots, the precursors of Stormtroopers, alongside Rebel pilots.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ehh, they could always add a smugglers/spies faction.
Or start piling in every ship that ever showed up in a background sequence.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

We are almost certainly going to get a Missile Boat for the Empire, I can't imagine they made rules for a SLAM and intended it to be K-Wing only, and the MB is the only other ship I know of that has it, while also being a uniqueish ship.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The Empire already has two uninteresting ships with too many ordnance slots. Why would they make a third?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
"But seriously guys, THIS time we'll get it right!"

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I was just thinking something that could fire multiple missiles in one round, no matter how hard that might be to balance. I mean the Missile Boat's entire raison d'être is to fire ALL THE MISSILES after boosting to point blank range.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 10, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They will release prequel stuff when the money dries up.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Once they run out of Star Wars ships they'll just move on to Battlefleet Gothic 2.0 and make endless tiny variations on "cathedral-boat in space" for the rest of time.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Kai Tave posted:

Once they run out of Star Wars ships they'll just move on to Battlefleet Gothic 2.0 and make endless tiny variations on "cathedral-boat in space" for the rest of time.

Depends on how GW treats gothic spaceship miniatures with regards to FFG's 40k license. Likely not gonna happen.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
I have a total noob question. I just picked up some Rebel stuff to play with some coworkers (including some original X-wings) and I have the Force Awakens core set. If I ever wanted to play in a tournament could I use the old X-Wing miniature with the new T70 X-wing cards? I couldn't see any differentiation in the symbols but wanted to confirm before I did something dumb.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Sure, if they had called it Light Side vs Dark Side (even though The Republic and Separatists are both run by the Dark Side) like the LCG does, but the factions are Rebels and Imperials. It would still be weird to fly clone trooper pilots, the precursors of Stormtroopers, alongside Rebel pilots.

I don't see anything weird about Clone Troopers flying alongside the rebellion. They didn't ask to have the Order 66 chip planted in their heads...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Verno5x posted:

I have a total noob question. I just picked up some Rebel stuff to play with some coworkers (including some original X-wings) and I have the Force Awakens core set. If I ever wanted to play in a tournament could I use the old X-Wing miniature with the new T70 X-wing cards? I couldn't see any differentiation in the symbols but wanted to confirm before I did something dumb.

You could use either miniature (I'm 99% sure they're just repaints), but the cards, dials and base plate thingies are specific sets which go together. You can't run Wedge with a T70 dial and base plate, for instance.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Verno5x posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't sub in the old X-Wing for the T70 version, because they have different stats and models. This only applies to tournaments, however. If you are playing casual and with friends, do whatever you like, proxy the hell out of stuff.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Verno5x posted:

The T-65 X-Wing icon is pointed to the right. The T-70 is more head-on. Proxying cards is one thing, but there isn't really a scenario where you would be able to fly a ship without the right model, since you'd also be missing the proper dial.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

You could use either miniature (I'm 99% sure they're just repaints), but the cards, dials and base plate thingies are specific sets which go together. You can't run Wedge with a T70 dial and base plate, for instance.

They are quite different, unlike the TIE/fo which is practically just a repaint to most people. Look at the old Ralph McQuarrie art cuz that's what the new ones are based on. Split intakes is the biggest indicator.

Also, Wedge still needs a Lt. Kettch alternate art card!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

They are quite different, unlike the TIE/fo which is practically just a repaint to most people. Look at the old Ralph McQuarrie art cuz that's what the new ones are based on. Split intakes is the biggest indicator.

I stand corrected.

I'd still suggest that in normal friendly play you could get away with proxying the mini, but should make sure to keep card, dial and base plate together, but I'd agree that you'd almost certainly not be able to in tournaments.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They have different manuver dials?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LingcodKilla posted:

T-70 has the Tokyo Drift update.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

T-70 has the Tokyo Drift update.

And a green 3-straight.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And a three green forward.

TIE/FO has a 2-sloop.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Chill la Chill posted:

Yub yub, Commander.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Yup, totally different. Different actions, too, though those are obvious from the pilot cards. And different upgrade slots, but ditto.

Also, I love the fact that the new maneuver the T70 gets is called the t-roll. FFG totally t-rolling us.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Was kinda hoping the dial would at least be the only thing the same. But I understand why.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Endman posted:

Yub yub, Commander.

stop trying to make kettch happen!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

willus posted:

stop trying to make kettch happen!

If you're from Endor, why aren't you an Ewok?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

WHERE IS MY ASSAULT GUNBOAT FFG YOU SHITS STOP MAKING EU GARBAGE

seriously though, why isn't it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alctel posted:

WHERE IS MY ASSAULT GUNBOAT FFG YOU SHITS STOP MAKING EU GARBAGE

seriously though, why isn't it in

Because it does exactly the same thing a shuttle does. It even looks like a shuttle.

Not that it stopped the Punisher, of course, but there's why nobody's hopping up and down to make it.

• Locked thread