Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Can we somehow solidify the poo poo into a building material and make poo poo-brick houses?

I don't think this is pure poop, I hear it on the radio refereed to as "untreated water" thought that might be a PR term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Count Roland posted:

I don't think this is pure poop, I hear it on the radio refereed to as "untreated water" thought that might be a PR term.

Canadian Political Megathread: I don't think it's pure poop. I hear it referred to as "untreated posting," though that might be a SA term.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah if we were concerned about immigrants being really conservatively religious and believing in a ton of insane conspiracy theories we'd have a total ban on most of eastern europe.
Only Islam has the special sauce that causes terrorism. No other religion commands its followers to kill and convert the infidels. Besides, this is a Christian country with Christian values! Christians will have a much easier time adapting to our culture.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
:supaburn: Trudeau is gonna pacify us with dope :supaburn:

quote:

20% of Canadians smoked pot last year, but more than 30% would if legal, poll suggests
59% of survey respondents support some sort of legalization

Almost two out of every 10 Canadians reported having consumed marijuana in the past year, but more than 30 per cent of poll respondents said they would do so in the next year if it were legal.

That was one of the main takeaways of a recent poll on the issue conducted by Forum Research. Forum did a telephone poll with a random sampling of 1,256 Canadians between Nov. 4-7. The poll is considered to have a margin or error of plus or minus three per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Members of the new Liberal government, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, have spoken about their desire to modernize the laws surrounding pot by decriminalizing its use, or even going as far as legalizing it.

According to Forum's poll, a solid majority of Canadians — 59 per cent — support new laws that would legalize, tax and regulate recreational marijuana usage under some conditions.

"Now that marijuana legalization is a likelihood rather than a vague promise, Canadians are considering the issue more closely than in the past," Forum president Lorne Bozinoff said.

The figure is higher than another Forum poll in August found, when 53 per cent of respondents said they'd support some sort of legalization plan.

It's also much higher than the proportion of Canadians who admit to currently partaking in it.

Large potential market

Just under one fifth, or 18 per cent, of those polled said they had used marijuana in the past 12 months. The percentage was higher among young people, at 34 per cent, and among males, at 23 per cent.

But the survey suggests the pool of possible marijuana users would be much larger than it is now if the practice were fully legalized.

Among people who don't currently consume marijuana, 13 per cent said they would be likely to do so if it were legal, and a further four per cent said they would be "very likely" to do so.

Adding those percentages together makes 31 per cent, which is the theoretical pool of people who should be considered potential marijuana users.

Based on Canada's adult population of about 26 million, that's roughly 8 million people across the country.

Details to be ironed out

There was wide disagreement, however, on how marijuana should be manufactured, sold and distributed in a legalized world.

The largest group of people, 45 per cent, were in favour of a system that would see large corporations be licensed to grow marijuana, which would be sold to the public through government agencies, similar to the way liquor is currently handled.

About one-sixth of people, 16 per cent, said they were in favour of a system that would allow private citizens to grow and sell it themselves. A smaller percentage, 12 per cent, think the best way would be for it to be sold in convenience stores.

A further 11 per cent said they preferred another method, but didn't specify which, and a further seven per cent said they did not want to see marijuana legalized in any form.

"[Canadians] are just as much in favour of legalization as they were before the election, if not more, but they want to see it strictly licensed and controlled, not grown in basements and sold in corner stores," Bozinoff said.

"The size of the market, however, should be good news for the potential industry players waiting to open shop here."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It looks like Calgary's city council has moved toward making Uber legal, while allowing taxi companies to deviate from regulated rates provided rides are booked through an app or online, instead of a dispatch system or a street hail. I think it sounds like a pretty good compromise, to be honest.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The news this morning had the headline of "THE CANADIAN ECONOMY IS DETERIORATING" about how GDP growth slowed from 2.1% to ~1% and that we'll be having deficits for a few years.

So, who called Trudeau going to be forced to inherit Harpers economic woes?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Everyone.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
But of course it will be JTs fault among the usual suspects :smith:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mewnie posted:

Let me be very clear, this new Liberal government has been a disaster for Canada.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/09/welcome-aboard-sunny-airway

Liberals throwing money away already

Welcome aboard Sunny Airways

Mike Strobel BY MIKE STROBEL, TORONTO SUN

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau put his hand on his heart, batted his eyes, sighed, and let vanquished Stephen Harper fly home to Calgary on a VIP jet.

Bloody Liberals. Throwing away our money already. They’ll hit their big federal deficit targets, easy. Justin and what he calls his “sunny ways” will cost us.

Welcome aboard Sunny Airways, ladies and gentlemen.

Flight time from Ottawa to Calgary is five hours — maybe longer given the prevailing winds of change — so the tab on the former PM’s trip home was as much as $55,000. Here’s how:

The government’s C-144 Challengers cost up to $11,000 an hour to operate including pilots’ salary, pretzels and such.

Plus, I assume the plane had to return to Ottawa eventually, so the total bill could hit $110,000.

Do that 90,900 times and you are close to the Liberals’ promised $10-billion annual deficit, not to mention you are near death from jet-lag.

What, did they let Julian Fantino leave Ottawa in a stretch limo? Did they give Olivia Chow a gold-plated bicycle? Did every other defeated Tory and NDP stalwart get Air Miles and a weekend at Disney World? All from the tax vault?

(Editor’s note: You’re being a bit hard on the new dude, Strobel. After all, it was a nice gesture to fly our former prime minister home in style after a decade on the job.)

Sure, boss, and when you fire my sorry rear end out the door, I bet you don’t even spring for Uber fare. Nor should you. I’ll get Buffery to drive me.

The road to a national debt is paved with gestures. The Conservative Party brass couldn’t pick up the tab for their former boss’s ride? After all Stephen Harper has done for them? Or did they spend all their dough on attack ads?

When Stephen Harper was boss, he and his family regularly flew in the jets, including to sports events and party functions, but reimbursed us taxpayers.

When he lost to Justin in gobsmacking fashion Oct. 19, Harper also lost a deluxe pack of perks, including car and driver, security detail and Leafs tickets. He doesn’t seem to be losing sleep over it, even showing up for his first opposition caucus meeting in a bland minivan.

Harper was supposed to take a commercial flight home that night — until Justin, the Northern Magnanimous, stepped in.

(Strobel, in fairness, Mr. Harper did accept the Challenger lift. He could have said no.)

True, but if a guy offers you a free flight in a private jet, you jump at it. You ever been in a lineup at Pearson, boss?

Funny, but the Harper government, a sworn enemy of perks, was supposed to shrink the fleet of C-144s from six to just two — after years of lambasting the jets as symbols of Liberal excess.

But it backed off because the jets are so heavily used. Of course they are. I’m sure you, gentle reader, have been offered a lift or two, maybe to the cottage or to visit your granny in Florida.

Without those private jets, our whole political and social hierarchy would collapse. Air Canada economy class would be infested with senior bureaucrats and cabinet ministers.

Imagine sitting beside Chrystia Freeland, the new international trade minister, all the way to Vancouver. Talk your ear off.

“Global super-rich” this, “global super-rich” that.

Fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gentlemen, it’s going to be a bumpy four years.

A right-leaning column about nothing, absolutely nothing. A bit sour, too.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Old cities have combined sewers. Most of the effluent is grey water from houses, drain water from buildings and drain water from streets. It's very common for most cities to just ditch untreated water in to adjacent lakes and rivers after heavy rains. The massive volume of water cannot be treated. This is why many cities force owners of older homes to disconnect their gutters from their sewers. Vancouver (west I think) has this problem and just pays the fine for discharge since it's cheaper than the infrastructure upgrade.

More modern sewer systems don't have sewage overflow since all that run off is kept separate from the sanitary line.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 10, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a list of Canadian or north american cities that have combined storm sewers or separated ?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

Old cities have combined sewers. Most of the effluent is grey water from houses, drain water from buildings and drain water from streets. It's very common for most cities to just ditch untreated water in to adjacent lakes and rivers after heavy rains. The massive volume of water cannot be treated. This is why many cities force owners of older homes to disconnect their gutters from their sewers. Vancouver (west I think) has this problem and just pays the fine for discharge since it's cheaper than the infrastructure upgrade.

More modern sewer systems don't have sewage overflow since all that run off is kept separate from the sanitary line.

the construction along 4th ave was putting in a dedicated sanitary sewer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This was posted in political pictures thread

Not quite sure every single reference.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 11, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Stock looking real :shepface: today.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Mewnie posted:

How could it be Harpers fault? He balanced the budget :colbert:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Dark One posted:

Stock looking real :shepface: today.

It's.... it's uncanny.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But bees are all ladies...

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

jm20 posted:

I think you might not understand satire...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CPC tears!

Islamists around the world cheered when Trudeau won. It is known.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 11, 2015

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

My name is also Enpee.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Spelling it "apparatchick" makes me think of sexy lady bureaucrats which is probably not what they were going for.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

But bees are all ladies...

Nope, just the ones who get things done.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really wonder how these people formulate their worldviews. It's just so completely backwards from how we generally see it. Where are they getting their info? Even conservative media were calling for Harper to step down by the end of the election.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yeah those kinda posts are how I lost two close friends over the past week because I called them out on their bullshit ((Including an unironic use of the term "Trudohs rainbow cabinet," and a serious straight faced argument that white men could do teh job better.)

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

canadians whining about socialized medicine :allears:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

jm20 posted:

This is even funnier given that these are the kind of guys getting fired when the Sun folds soon.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

This is even funnier given that these are the kind of guys getting fired when the Sun folds soon.

Oh man I don't expect that to happen but that would just be christmas

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Slightly Toasted posted:

Oh man I don't expect that to happen but that would just be christmas

Please fire Rick Bell... I know hes not in Edmonton.

gently caress that loving hack

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Brandon Proust posted:

canadians whining about socialized medicine :allears:

We seriously need an exchange program where we send these people to the US and in exchange they give us Bernie Sanders.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

SubCrid TC posted:

I think you might not understand satire...

You may not know Mike strobel

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Lassitude posted:

We seriously need an exchange program where we send these people to the US and in exchange they give us Bernie Sanders.

Bernie Sanders being the POTUS would benefit Canada more than Bernie Sanders being the PM.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Odobenidae posted:

Bernie Sanders being the POTUS would benefit Canada more than Bernie Sanders being the PM.

Canada always does better with Republican presidents. Obama made the right choice for his country by shitcanning Keystone, but an uncaring Republican would have happily sold the best interests of his country out and helped Canada in the process!

Sanders (or even Trump) would be bad for Canada, because they're both running on some degree of protectionism that will ultimately harm Canadian industry. I hope Americans make a really dumb choice and elect Rubio or something, because although it's a boneheaded decision, it'll probably work out best for Canada.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
President Bernie would literally tear up NAFTA, send in seals to assassinate the WTO, and tariff there gently caress out of everything from Canadian make syrup to American cars made in Windsor.

So literally the best outcome imo.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

PT6A posted:

because they're both running on some degree of protectionism that will ultimately harm Canadian industry.

Man it really sucks their aren't any other countries in the world to trade with

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

Man it really sucks their aren't any other countries in the world to trade with

It would be nice if the giant, rich one right next door wanted to, though.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
With the Senate, House and most state governments firmly in Republican hands it's gonna take a lot more than a single successful presidential campaign to affect much in the USA. I wish Bernie all the best but I wonder if his supporters fully realize that they need to be building a permanent movement, not going all-in on a single long shot candidate who is already stalling in the polls far below where he'd need to be to actually win the Presidency. The real question of the Sanders' campaign should be: after Bernie inevitably losses what happens to the people supporting him? Do they drift apart again and go back to their pet causes or their private lives, or do they stick around and keep fighting? Sander's greatest legacy will be if he leaves behind a functional movement that can carry on the fight for many years to come.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

With the Senate, House and most state governments firmly in Republican hands it's gonna take a lot more than a single successful presidential campaign to affect much in the USA. I wish Bernie all the best but I wonder if his supporters fully realize that they need to be building a permanent movement, not going all-in on a single long shot candidate who is already stalling in the polls far below where he'd need to be to actually win the Presidency. The real question of the Sanders' campaign should be: after Bernie inevitably losses what happens to the people supporting him? Do they drift apart again and go back to their pet causes or their private lives, or do they stick around and keep fighting? Sander's greatest legacy will be if he leaves behind a functional movement that can carry on the fight for many years to come.

Look at the results of the recent low-level elections in the States: these chucklefucks can't even be bothered to go vote when they're supposedly excited. There's maybe a 1% chance of this becoming a "movement" in any meaningful sense.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Helsing posted:

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if a ton of bernouts go hard reactionary in a few months' time, especially the ones who drifted over from the ron paul crowd or the ones who earnestly believe in black lives matter giving bernie the dolchstoß treatment over the summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We could ask ourselves if the support for a charismatic left-leaning leader carried over to a less impressive alternate by, say, examining the Tragical Comedie of Jack Layton and Thomas Mulcair. All in all, I don't think things are looking up.