Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Junking guns is a waste unless you have at least level 1 of the INT 4 Scrapper perk. Guns only give you steel which is plentiful already. It's a bit better for armor since leather armor turns into leather you can use for mods. Also, armor as far as I can tell does not have itemized mods. When you change a mod on your armor, it is gone.

Right now I just stash all unused weapons and armor into my Sanctuary workbench. Hoarders unite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Meowbot posted:

Thank you, so would you say I should be selling my guns and not junking them? I know there is lots of junk in the world so I wasn't sure if caps would come in handy I heard ammo is a real son of a bitch so I might invest in the perk that gets you more armmo.

Don't junk guns/armor until/unless you get the perk that lets you get uncommon items like screws and poo poo from them. Otherwise you basically just get Steel/Cloth/Wood/Leather which is in incredible abundance just by clearing out junk.

Money is great for buying ammo and healing/radaway which I seem to go through like crazy.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
is this game worth getting on pc? i hear it has framerate and fov issues

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Melee combat in this is really powerful, I'm finding myself knife fighting anything that doesn't have a gun, and regularly pulling out my knife to stab raiders when I run out of ammo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

The PC version is much better than the console versions. The console versions struggle to maintain 30 FPS, any frame rate issues the PC might have the consoles have much worse.

The fov can be fixed using with a few ink tweaks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KyloWinter posted:

If you liked Fallout 3 or NV then yeah get it. Its cool.

PC performance is way better than console so if you're going to get it, get it on PC. Also mods.
If you have to get it on console get it on PS4.

Some people have issues but that's any PC game, runs great on my machine.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

KyloWinter posted:

There's an .ini file you can edit to increase the FOV, but yeah it does have some framerate issues. Nothing worse than I've experienced in any other Bethesda games, but obviously your tolerance for that may vary.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Melee combat in this is really powerful, I'm finding myself knife fighting anything that doesn't have a gun, and regularly pulling out my knife to stab raiders when I run out of ammo.

It's possible to run out of ammo in this game?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

conversation piece posted:

Dude newegg is selling Samsung 850 evos for like $80. It will literally pay for itself in the time you spend not waiting.

This is my biggest complaint of the game is the loading times. I have an SSD but I only use it for my windows local drive and I don't want to put any games on it. A lot of people have told me not to play games on the same drive as windows if it is a solid state. Is this bullshit because if it is im going to free up the space since when you mentioned this it made me realize how lovely the load times are and when I had battlefield 4 on my SSD it went from 3 minute load times to like 23 seconds lol.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ghouls also gently caress you up pretty hard.

I'm rocking what I thought was halfway decent armor for the early-game (Metal arms/legs/chest upgraded to max over a baseball uniform with a radiation mask) and that quest where you bail out the brotherhood wrecked me a few times when I tried to wade in with my Sledgehammer all super-cocky.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

KyloWinter posted:

I think it's only worth it on PC because otherwise how are you going to get all the mods to fix everything terrible about it? But you better have a SSD and up to date video card, because the frame rate and loading times are the worst I've ever experienced in any game ever.

It's a typical Bethesda game, totally buggy and nearly unplayable until it gets patches and mods.

Character motivation and whatnot also seem to be a huge step back. The character customization is extremely limited compared to the last few games too.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 11, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Andrast posted:

The console versions struggle to maintain 30 FPS, any frame rate issues the PC might have the consoles have much worse.

I honestly havent noticed anything like that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meowbot posted:

This is my biggest complaint of the game is the loading times. I have an SSD but I only use it for my windows local drive and I don't want to put any games on it. A lot of people have told me not to play games on the same drive as windows if it is a solid state. Is this bullshit because if it is im going to free up the space since when you mentioned this it made me realize how lovely the load times are and when I had battlefield 4 on my SSD it went from 3 minute load times to like 23 seconds lol.

It's bullshit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Washout posted:

I think it's only worth it on PC because otherwise how are you going to get all the mods to fix everything terrible about it? But you better have a SSD and up to date video card, because the frame rate and loading times are the worst I've ever experienced in any game ever.

It's a typical Bethesda game, totally buggy and nearly unplayable until it gets patches and mods.

you never left the vault lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone got a fix for low FPS in areas with lots of buildings? I seem to dip down to 40-50 FPS in some areas, most notably Diamond City, even on High. Apart from that, the game is a rock steady 60 FPS on Ultra.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Andrast posted:

It's possible to run out of ammo in this game?

I'm playing on survival and I'm a bad shot. Enemies are a bit bullet spongey and even if I have more ammo I tend to miss a lot.

So I find pulling out my serrated combat knife and shivving people to be pretty effective.

I mean I have ammo but I do run out of 10mm and .32 is like slapping the enemy with your flaccid dick for all the damage it does in a pipe gun. I also tend to save .308 because hunting rifles are useful.

I'd say you're certainly not swimming in ammo, .308 is pretty scarce so far and I've found almost no .44, lots of .32 but it's poo poo, some .45 but not enough to waste on a pipe revolver, and fusion cells aren't generally found in most places, you get them from thematically appropriate sources.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 11, 2015

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Andrast posted:

It's bullshit.

basically the first person who convinced me to get an SSD put the fear into me that it has so many read writes and if you have games on your local windows drive it can die out on you a lot faster. If that isn't the case im going to move my install to my C: drive because the load times are a little on the long side.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Washout posted:

In contrast to this goon, I've had a great time so far, haven't encountered any bugs that cause real problems, and though it's not the best optimized game ever, it's running happily enough for me without slowdown or stuttering of note.

(This might all be a lie and I'm just blinded by how great it is to see Dogmeat destroy poo poo and rip raider's throats out and stuff)

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Hey there, little buddy!!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

God drat, I want to wear a suit and have the lovely looking armor pieces equipped but invisible.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Meowbot posted:

That's only because modern games take up tons of space and SSDs over 250GB are really expensive. Plus performance tanks if an SSD is over 80% capacity for some reason.

It's not that much of an issue right now as Steam lets you move games between storage drives. Just install it on an SSD and move it somewhere else when you're done with it.

Meowbot posted:

basically the first person who convinced me to get an SSD put the fear into me that it has so many read writes and if you have games on your local windows drive it can die out on you a lot faster. If that isn't the case im going to move my install to my C: drive because the load times are a little on the long side.

That's bullshit. Limited read/writes are a thing but it's so high the average user would take like 30 years to wear out a 128 GB SSD. Read/write limit is MUCH higher the more space you have.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 11, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

You're wrong.

Nah he really isn't though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

God drat, I want to wear a suit and have the lovely looking armor pieces equipped but invisible.

I am a little disapointed that I found a three piece suit, bowler hat, and glasses all in the first village because now I have no reason to change my outfit ever

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The game auto scraps items.

What about armor pieces like Raider Leathers? Do I need to put it into the workshop or something?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

KyloWinter posted:

If most of your hardware is like 2 years old or newer, you should be just fine. However, do not buy this game if you're going to use a keyboard and have a set up other than the novice WASD movement keys. Bethesda hard coded several key binds to functions in the game that you can't change, making it impossible to play for those who are unwilling to go the inferior WASD set up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zaphod42 posted:

I un-ironically want 'haha, yeah' guy to be my companion.

Just laugh at everything I do to people like Nelson.

*shoots random stranger in the chest, steals his money*

"Haha, yeah!"

It reminds me of that scene in Futurama where there's a robot programmed to laugh on everything Fry says.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mister Adequate posted:

In contrast to this goon, I've had a great time so far, haven't encountered any bugs that cause real problems, and though it's not the best optimized game ever, it's running happily enough for me without slowdown or stuttering of note.

(This might all be a lie and I'm just blinded by how great it is to see Dogmeat destroy poo poo and rip raider's throats out and stuff)

I'm the kind of person who always installs a new Bethesda game expecting them to have learned from past mistakes and for there to be improvements, then I'm dissapointed and throw it away and wait a year before playing it again when all the mods have cleaned all the poop off of it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Nah he really isn't though.

Yeah every Fallout character has a clear personality that shines through the dialog.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am a little disapointed that I found a three piece suit, bowler hat, and glasses all in the first village because now I have no reason to change my outfit ever

There's variations on it, but clean striped suit is the poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

huy guys im durrgmuurt wuurf wuurf

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The chems you can craft are pretty cool, I'm basically making a chem user with lots of endurance who shotguns the gently caress out of everything.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Washout posted:

Character motivation and whatnot also seem to be a huge step back. The character customization is extremely limited compared to the last few games too.

ah okay. so ill wait for the goty edition during some sale or whatever

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah every Fallout character has a clear personality that shines through the dialog.

I like how if you hit cancel when someone else is speaking they sometimes go, "shut up...".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like I did the kill the raiders in the car factory mission way too early because it was an insane slog

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meowbot posted:

A lot of people have told me not to play games on the same drive as windows if it is a solid state. Is this bullshit because if it is im going to free up the space since when you mentioned this it made me realize how lovely the load times are and when I had battlefield 4 on my SSD it went from 3 minute load times to like 23 seconds lol.

That is a tidbit of advice that only applies to old school SSDs when they were first coming out. SSDs have a limited amount of times they can be written to before they won't work anymore so if a game was constantly using it then the lifetime of the drive would be tremendously shortened.

The limit on modern SSDs is so high that effectively with regular use they last just as long as you'd expect a HDD to last so it's not really something you need to worry about anymore. Put that poo poo on your SSD and don't look back.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

ah okay. so ill wait for the goty edition during some sale or whatever

Same, it helps that I have a huge backlog on games I still haven't played yet. :v:

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Meowbot posted:

Even if you bought and used a first gen intel ssd all the way back from 2008 ~with bideo james~ it would still be years away from actually having degraded performance. They over-provision SSDs and the onboard controller automatically switches to fresh blocks if you actually do manage to burn one out.

Granted these aren't as ancient as 2008, but a very determined journalist managed to do over 2 petabytes 2,000,000 gigabytes of write tests on these SSDs before their performance started deteriorating

You could probably uninstall and reinstall every game you own as fast as the ssd will allow you to endlessly and it would probably still be going by the time fallout 5 comes out.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like I did the kill the raiders in the car factory mission way too early because it was an insane slog

did you bring power armor, because power armor makes that mission a lot easier

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have a few mechanical questions.

I am a little confused about how crits work.

1. There are no "passive" crits like other fallout games, right? You get "crit" point and when you get enough, can manually activate a crit? What decides how many points you get besides luck? Is it per shot, or based on time? Does targeting certain locations like the head give you more?

2. How important is perception to accuracy? How good is luck? I tried going with 6 luck and high agility to try to snipe head-crits which worked very well in prior Fallout games. My perception is not stellar. Should I dump level up points into perception to raise accuracy, or get accuracy related perks?

3. Can I get critical hits outside of VATS? How?

A few other miscellaneous questions:

4. Are there stat checks? I mean besides in dialogue. Are there points in the game where I need "X" many points in intelligence to do something?

5. Are there any dialogue checks besides charisma?

This game could use a manual. Of course anyone who played prior games has no issue playing it, but some of the core-mechanics info is elusive.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anyone's wanting a review it runs surprisingly well on a gtx660ti and I've had no crashes or bugs, apart from the normal wonderful bethesda bugs like durgmurrt up there.

Shooting is a lot better and the random loot system is really cool, huge variety in guns with the modifier system, basebuilding is neat if you like cool houses, lots of stuff to collect and explore, map feels really big, I've not left the top left corner yet and I've been playing like 15 hours. Also if you like dressup you will love this game. There's even just completely unnecessary but cool things you can do like get a mining helmet with a flashlight on it which you can customise, huge variety in armour and kit you can use.

Criticisms would mostly be that enemies are a bit bullet spongey on high difficulty, could do just higher lethality I think rather than needing a million bullets to kill. Oh and perks could be better, not that they're bad, really, but they're not as good as say, skyrim modded perk overhauls. But that'll get fixed I'm sure. The game as a whole is a lot like playing project nevada or something, it feels like they took a lot of stuff from there when designing it.

It's good, if you like bethsoft games you'll like this. It's going to be awesomely cool with mods.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 11, 2015

• Locked thread