Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ShadowMar posted:

did you bring power armor, because power armor makes that mission a lot easier

...gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ShadowMar posted:

I took a shotgun and everyone got loving #rekt until I ran out of shells and then it got a bit tougher.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Moridin920 posted:

Nah he really isn't though.

He objectively is. There's two endings to Fallout 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ShadowMar posted:

is power armor worth wearing without fusion cores?

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

There is no way to play Fallout 1 that doesn't lead to V13 surviving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVc9otAbicM

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am in the museum, and I need to know. Is there any way to be able to wear one of those British Redcoats?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fans posted:

Is there a way to equip people in your settlement? I give them stuff but they don't seem to give much of a poo poo about it.

After you trade an item to them, while the window is still open, select the item on their side of the trade screen and press T, this will make them equip it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I'd say you're certainly not swimming in ammo, .308 is pretty scarce so far and I've found almost no .44, lots of .32 but it's poo poo, some .45 but not enough to waste on a pipe revolver, and fusion cells aren't generally found in most places, you get them from thematically appropriate sources.

Once you get to Diamond City and have merchant locations figured out in general you can pick up dozens of rounds of any ammo type (save for energy, so far) pretty much whenever you want. Ammo also becomes much less of a problem once you start having legendaries drop decent weapons for you to use, I can usually two or one shot human enemies with my rifles. Super mutants are still a bitch, though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Once you get to Diamond City and have merchant locations figured out in general you can pick up dozens of rounds of any ammo type (save for energy, so far) pretty much whenever you want. Ammo also becomes much less of a problem once you start having legendaries drop decent weapons for you to use, I can usually two or one shot human enemies with my rifles. Super mutants are still a bitch, though.

I found one legendary and it dropped... a piece of left leg armor :shepicide:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
After poopsocking 11 hours today I think FO4 can't touch GTA V or Witcher 3. But it is a great Game nonetheless.
Fooling around with the Pip Boy iOS App, crafting, exploring, building the base , questing. gathering stuff, getting attacked out of nowhere and popping heads via VATS in slomo is good stuff.
The atmosphere is great, it is the new Fall Out I was waiting for.

SLI still doesnt work, but even a single 970 pushes Ultra Settings on 2560*1440 to 60+ Frames easily with some drops depending on weather/ action/ fog.
I have buddies playing this game even on 5 year old rigs on low-medium settings smooth.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Notorious QIG posted:

I found one legendary and it dropped... a piece of left leg armor :shepicide:

I got a legendary pipe gun. I feel your pain.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Fallout 1 intentionally starts completely cold. You lived in a vault, and for some reason you are not in it anymore, looking for a water chip. It is left vague whether you volunteered to do this, whether you were forced to do so, or even if your character is too stupid to understand his mission. The game nudges you in the direction of saving the vault and stopping the mutants, but if you decide your character doesn't care about either one the game supports that and lets you just piss around forever. In the original, unpatched version of Fallout 1 this would even be reflected by sitting by and watching settlements get destroyed. You won't get to an ending by refusing to act, but it at least makes sense if you choose to do so. Even Fallout 3 supports this to some extent, letting you decide for yourself whether or not finding liam neeson is worth it (it's not).

Fallout 4 is the first game in the series to explicitly tell you that your character has personal stakes in the main storyline. Even if you want to be a Bad Dad who says babies are stupid who cares, the character's dialogue directly contradicts that. It's a major failing of the game's mission statement.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zore posted:

is power armor worth wearing without fusion cores?

You can't use it without fusion cores. They're like batteries for it.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
So I've been trying to play for the last couple of days, but its like a slideshow. Even with everything set as low as possible. I would have expected something better and I'm wondering where my bottleneck may be. I have an i5 running at 3.5ghz(not sure of model) 6Gb of ram (is 2gb below minimum going to make his unplayable?) My GPU is a hd 5970, its getting on, but it stands up well in every recent game up until now. I'm looking at a completely new rig because its been a while. However if its a matter of a new card and a stick of RAM that would be preferable.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can't use it without fusion cores. They're like batteries for it.

well you can but you get no bonuses from it and you're slow as hell

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gonkish posted:

So fyi, you can totally tell dogmeat to go look for some loot in vault 111 and if you're near the cryolater he will grab it despite it being locked in the case.

So enjoy that.

For reals?! I need to test this.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ShadowMar posted:

Just as bad. I stand by my statement. :colbert:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Pretty fun so far but it doesn't explain things all that well. It wasn't until reading this thread that I figured out what the list of weapon mods was in my inventory, I somehow thought they were the current mods I was using, not ones that had been discarded when scrapping weapons.

Something else I'm unclear on - The magazines which give you little boosts in various areas, do you need to do anything specific with them, or keep hold of them? Or once you've picked them up can you just throw them and keep the bonus?

Also it's very silly to press tab about six times in a row to back out of menus, but then need to press enter to come out completely - That's my most serious complaint about the game, though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sorry if it's been covered already, but does anyone know yet whether you can change your character's appearance after leaving the vault?

E: n/m, just saw a loading screen tip that said you could

titties fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 11, 2015

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Fought through a dungeon of raiders to get a couple's dead daughter's locket for them. They were happy when I returned it and agreed on an alliance so I could develop their settlement and trade with them. I go away for a couple of days and when I return to build some poo poo they are like WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE WE DONT TAKE KINDLY TO STRANGERS exact same dialog as when I first met them. Also I cant kill them. They dont even get angry if I shoot them. Thanks bethesda for this immersive experience

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Speckled Jim posted:

So I've been trying to play for the last couple of days, but its like a slideshow. Even with everything set as low as possible. I would have expected something better and I'm wondering where my bottleneck may be. I have an i5 running at 3.5ghz(not sure of model) 6Gb of ram (is 2gb below minimum going to make his unplayable?) My GPU is a hd 5970, its getting on, but it stands up well in every recent game up until now. I'm looking at a completely new rig because its been a while. However if its a matter of a new card and a stick of RAM that would be preferable.

Your GPU is two full generations older than the minimum requirement.

edit:

titties posted:

Sorry if it's been covered already, but does anyone know yet whether you can change your character's appearance after leaving the vault?

In Diamond City, there is both a hairdresser and a plastic surgeon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

titties posted:

You can.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Game so far is managing to run on my PC. Time to have complete decision paralysis for awhile on how to spread out my starting stats. Any perks or stat benchmarks that are really important to reach early? (I also imagine there are some number of stat boosting bobbleheads and stuff again).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ShadowMar posted:

You still get no fall damage/armor/11 str which are all pretty good bonuses. :colbert:

It is unfortunately really slow though :(

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Game so far is managing to run on my PC. Time to have complete decision paralysis for awhile on how to spread out my starting stats. Any perks or stat benchmarks that are really important to reach early? (I also imagine there are some number of stat boosting bobbleheads and stuff again).

Just put four in everything except Perception and one other stat. You can get two stay boosts, one to Perception, right out of the gate and it basically doesn't matter how you build your character at the start.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Or at all, really.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I've been bitching about this games graphics and I dont own a hat but perhaps I need to eat one.

Game looks great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Someone said a few pages back that if you roll 10 on a stat, a bobblehead will take you to 11? Is that true? Will gear take you to 11/12 as well? All the other games had a hard cap of 10.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Does anyone else feel like Melee feels a bit "off", like it's not working properly? It seems like when I'm in a fight I can't swing normally, like I'm getting staggered or stunned constantly but there's no visual indication this is happening. Yesterday I yolo'd into a turret and I was only able to swing once before I died despite the animation being completed.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

My only real complaint is the head bobbing when you stop moving, like, you are a literal bobblehead and when you stop your head rocks back and forth. It's really annoying to me.

I've only got about 2 hours in right now but I'm really liking the building stuff, I am so glad that all the random useless bullshit from F3 have actual uses now.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've found 3 bobbleheads until now and they all gave 25% crit to some stat, no SPECIAL at all

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I was gonna try to make me some "maps" of the towns ingame by using the tcl console command, flying high up, then taking screenshots. Only then, from a height of hundreds of feet, did I realize how loving huge central Boston is ingame.

Yeah, I don't think I'll do that after all.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

pro tip for anyone having trouble early on (not really spoilers but I'll spoil it anyway)

do the brotherhood of steel quest at the police station southeast of the starting location. You get his laser rifle and it's basically a free legendary. Because he's an invincible NPC you never have to fire a single bullet and you collect the free gun

a few hours more into it I think I might upgrade it to a 7.5-8/10. The writing is weak but if you play it like fps diablo (aka destiny) it gets a bit more fun. Bethesda REALLY wants you to read the 100000 data logs in terminals to read their stories. I don't know if anyone actually does, but just a heads up: they are not great!

They're much better with visual storytelling using item placement etc.

mbt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 11, 2015

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Speckled Jim posted:

Get an nVidia GPU and throw that ATI/AMD card in the dumpster where it belongs. It's 2015. No one uses anything AMD anymore.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think the game is really pretty and some of the level design is quite compelling, but...

Even knowing my hope was probably futile, I had secretly hoped that Bethesda would take some inspiration from New Vegas and try to add in more role-playing opportunities, non violent quest solutions, and ways of interacting with the world beyond the barrel of your gun.

So far, it feels like a willful rejection of the soul of Fallout that New Vegas tried to recapture. :smith:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have been running around in garbage armor because I was comparing the stats of a single part to the entire set given by a wanderer uniform :downs:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ymgve posted:

I was gonna try to make me some "maps" of the towns ingame by using the tcl console command, flying high up, then taking screenshots. Only then, from a height of hundreds of feet, did I realize how loving huge central Boston is ingame.

Yeah, I don't think I'll do that after all.

Jesus. This game is quite big, isn't it?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Get an nVidia GPU and throw that ATI/AMD card in the dumpster where it belongs. It's 2015. No one uses anything AMD anymore.

I'm still using an HD 6950 :(. I'm a filthy poor though so gotta wait for wither blackfriday/cybermonday or post-christmas deals to upgrade to a decent nvidia card.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like to open every chest, maximize my lockpick and computer skills first, run sidequests only for the loot, shoot random encounters with a sniper rifle from as far as I can, hoard skill books and inventory, and ignore the main quest as long as I can so I can feel like a superpower when I decide it's worth my time.

Should I play this game
[ ] yes [ ] no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

I've found 3 bobbleheads until now and they all gave 25% crit to some stat, no SPECIAL at all

There are bobbles for each stat, then a bunch that give you perk type bonuses.

• Locked thread