Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Darko posted:

I was in Phoenix. Great week to be in a blocked state; because i would have gotten approximately 0.

I actually am curious about this. The sites have your state info on file and you have to click on that "I am not a resident of (blocked state)" before you enter a contest. Do they ip check you as well to make sure you're not logged on from a blocked state as well?

Edit: thanks for the info. Makes sense though since they're on the knife edge when it comes to the regulatory environment.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

I actually am curious about this. The sites have your state info on file and you have to click on that "I am not a resident of (blocked state)" before you enter a contest. Do they ip check you as well to make sure you're not logged on from a blocked state as well?

Yeah, they IP check you; even some of my proxies oddly didn't work. Checked PC and Phone. It was quite annoying Saturday when I wanted to enter my "perfect" lineups, then relieved on Monday.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 4, 2015

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Darko posted:

Yeah, they IP check you; even some of my proxies oddly didn't work. Checked PC and Phone. It was quite annoying Saturday when I wanted to enter my "perfect" lineups, then relieving on Monday.

Yeah I'm pretty much seeing that my experience was the same as everyone elses.

Which begs the question. Who won the money?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much seeing that my experience was the same as everyone elses.

Which begs the question. Who won the money?

I won 50 bucks on FD but lost 50 on DK with almost identical lineups.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The SituAsian posted:

The DK Android app actually requires GPS and Google Location Services to be turned on before it will show you anything. I guess it's smart on their part, but it kind of underscores how silly the gambling laws are in this country. Here in Minnesota at least, the only thing I've heard is that there is one legislator who has announced their support of a DFS legalization-plus-regulation package. I hope it doesn't get torpedoed by some interest group, but that's just me being slightly paranoid about our ability to screw up vice regulation in dumb ways.

e:

Also, I made money overall on my first DFS bets! I think it was kind of dumb luck though :v:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 4, 2015

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
Week 8 was brutal but I couldn't comfortably surrender myself to losses on Sunday. Instead MNF had to toy with me. In an alternate universe where Ginn Jr. can catch footballs, I triple up. Instead I got nothing. Thanks Ginn. :cheers:

It was a lesson in checking weather conditions before settling on selections. It was only my second week and I still have money in my bankroll from a rather lucky start during Week 7. Rotogrinders is pretty awesome!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
http://www.legalsportsreport.com/5762/nj-dfs-bill/

My state trying to be the latest to figure out how to regulate DFS sites. I just hope it's not tantamount to an outright ban like Nevada.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yuzenn posted:

http://www.legalsportsreport.com/5762/nj-dfs-bill/

My state trying to be the latest to figure out how to regulate DFS sites. I just hope it's not tantamount to an outright ban like Nevada.

It's not an outright ban. DFS can be regulated in Nevada.

It's an implied ban, because getting a gaming license for DFS likely implies only in-state regulation, so it will be a ringed market, just like what legal online regulated poker is in Nevada today (also assuming the same shared pool exception with Delaware). This effectively kills DFS because it's not profitable enough to go through the licensing process just to have Nevada-only players.

We are years away from legislators figuring out interstate commerce and shared player pools for regulation. If your state right now is looking at a regulation bill of any kind, it is an implied ban.

edit: wow I wrote all that before actually reading the article, and there it is

quote:

The most onerous part of the bill appears to be that it would make DFS an intrastate activity, not an interstate one. In the bill’s definition of a “daily fantasy sports provider”:

Don't do it, NJ

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 4, 2015

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I hope Live free or die NH continues to live free or die. But then again, I'm not making any money either.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

If your state right now is looking at a regulation bill of any kind, it is an implied ban.

the only legislator in minnesota who has proposed anything related to dfs has said nothing about this. he only wants to require fantasy sites that do over $X amount of business to require background checks and register with the state so they can comply with potential audits or investigations. the fact that he hasn't specifically said "no interstate ban" doesn't somehow validate your argument, nor would you be correct even if he does at some point say that he does want that kind of restriction, nor if the eventual law does include it

also, i feel like nevada shouldn't really ever be included in disucssions like this (unless it is regarding their outsized influence on federal gambling policy). it's in their interest to ban and cordon off any type of gambling that might hurt their tourism industry, so they are really unlike most other jurisdictions in the country

vvv i apologize to the thread for engaging with this fishmeching nonsense :rolleyes: vvv

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 6, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the only legislator in minnesota who has proposed anything related to dfs has said nothing about this. he only wants to require fantasy sites that do over $X amount of business to require background checks and register with the state so they can comply with potential audits or investigations. the fact that he hasn't specifically said "no interstate ban" doesn't somehow validate your argument, nor would you be correct even if he does at some point say that he does want that kind of restriction, nor if the eventual law does include it

also, i feel like nevada shouldn't really ever be included in disucssions like this (unless it is regarding their outsized influence on federal gambling policy). it's in their interest to ban and cordon off any type of gambling that might hurt their tourism industry, so they are really unlike most other jurisdictions in the country

Sounds like your legislator has no idea what they are talking about. It's far more likely they are spouting words for the free positive public image boost via dogpiling on DFS.

And Nevada is a perfect example to look at here. Again, this is all just repeat history of online poker. And Nevada is one of two states that has actually figured out legal regulated interstate online poker, so whatever conception you have about tourism or whatever is misguided.

But lets assume for a moment your legislator does know a little about what is going on. Knowing "$ amount of business" in your state mixed with "register with the state" is a two part code word for "we want to tax you". And once again, unless the entirety of Congress undergoes some miraculous mass realization, they will quickly discover how hard it is to do that while allowing interstate play.

It took years for NV and DE to figure it out. NJ is still trying to figure it out. There is a 0.001% chance Minnesota can regulate DFS, get taxes from it, all while allowing interstate play, in any reasonable time.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My buddy and I from work when whole hog this week with research, spreadsheets, the whole deal. He and I usually just shoot from the hip, and we've both done OK so far this season.

We each out about 20 lineups into this weeks $6M Play Action. I'll report back on Tuesday how this did vs. our usual method.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Hahaha my Derek Carr stacked lineup that happens to have Antonion Brown that I decided to chuck $1 at, this is a skill game

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
What free projection sources do you all use for NBA? I'll go ahead and share the ones I've found and if anyone has any additions that'd be great.

http://www.numberfire.com/nba/fantasy/fantasy-basketball-projections
https://rotogrinders.com/projected-stats/nba?site=draftkings
http://joshengleman.com/

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I went ahead and made a joke fanduel lineup with Blaine Gabbert. It's obviously not going to win anything, but it's going to get way more than I ever thought it would.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

What free projection sources do you all use for NBA? I'll go ahead and share the ones I've found and if anyone has any additions that'd be great.

http://www.numberfire.com/nba/fantasy/fantasy-basketball-projections
https://rotogrinders.com/projected-stats/nba?site=draftkings
http://joshengleman.com/

http://www.dailyoverlay.com/expert-grading/nba-expert-grading/ is a website that's been grading the websites....the nba section doesn't have a perfect lineup grading section like NFL but it shows which writers have been in the money

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Yuzenn posted:

http://www.dailyoverlay.com/expert-grading/nba-expert-grading/ is a website that's been grading the websites....the nba section doesn't have a perfect lineup grading section like NFL but it shows which writers have been in the money

Yeah, that grades picks though, not projections. It's useful for helping refine your shortlist, but I am looking for full numerical points projections for every player that I can use in my optimizer.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, that grades picks though, not projections. It's useful for helping refine your shortlist, but I am looking for full numerical points projections for every player that I can use in my optimizer.

https://www.dailyfantasycafe.com/tools/lineupoptimizer/nba

That is a really good tool that a lot of people use...it is much more interactive than most for free

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Yuzenn posted:

https://www.dailyfantasycafe.com/tools/lineupoptimizer/nba

That is a really good tool that a lot of people use...it is much more interactive than most for free

Oh yeah I totally forgot that they gave away projections too. I used to use their optimizer, manually inputing my averaged projections, but then I wrote my own one, so I stopped using it. But I can definitely make use of their projections. Thanks.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Post to self: relying on Doug Martin was a surefire way to lose 10$ and miss out on 20+$ of cash. Don't be dumb don't be dumb don't be dumb.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Post to self: relying on Doug Martin was a surefire way to lose 10$ and miss out on 20+$ of cash. Don't be dumb don't be dumb don't be dumb.
I'm going to read this every week. He has been wrecking my otherwise pristine lineups.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

dy. posted:

I'm going to read this every week. He has been wrecking my otherwise pristine lineups.

I tend to stay away from split back systems, it's way too volatile in cash. Doug Martin has been a fine GPP play a couple times this year but if the team goes down then Sims gets the nod and this team will be trailing a LOT. Sims might be the better play most weeks unless they play a really bad run defense (Saints).

I gotta stop picking tight ends against Oakland....all the numbers show that they suck against tight ends but the last 3-4 weeks have been duds. Miller was too tempting at 2700 but I should have paid up for Tamme. And if not for a kick return the Broncos defense would have totally poo poo the bed this week.

I gotta start playing more NBA though, it's been MONEY so far and I don't have to wait a week to be disappointed.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Yuzenn posted:

I gotta start playing more NBA though, it's been MONEY so far and I don't have to wait a week to be disappointed.

My ROI is way higher in NBA than NFL. It has slowly taken over as my main dfs sport.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Trip report on my first week of DFS with actual research. It worked!

First week ever with multiple lineups with 200+ points. Cashed in 9 of the 13 lineups I put a GPP (including one in the top 5k of 471k) and increased my bankroll by 50%.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This week was pretty crazy. My average winning roster gets 160 points, but this week everything did well over 170 and I still lost a bunch to go down $10 out of $30 in play. I think it was bad bankroll management on my part because when I look at it now I was just outside of the bubble on a lot of double ups. Had I done more H2H or 50/50 then I would have come out a lot differently.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
DFS banned in NY state

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/s...d=tw-share&_r=0

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Way to ruin the fun New York.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

what a loving joke

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Technically it was a request to stop and they can challenge it in court. I imagine that they will keep taking bets until the case is decided. Also, it only applies to the the main two sites so you can still play on Yahoo or some of the other smaller sites.

[EDIT] Confirmation of DK fighting the ruling and not withdrawing from New York: https://twitter.com/davidpurdum/status/664231538855428096

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 11, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Whelp I think it's time to use up my deposits because California is almost certainly going to follow suit.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Another wasted DFS night with Kobe being classified as out after being "confirmed" to play tonight....

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

Another wasted DFS night with Kobe being classified as out after being "confirmed" to play tonight....

I've never done an NBA contest so I entered tonight's freeroll on DK ...with Kobe. I thought about doing a $1 entry or two but I'm glad I didn't. Apparently the decision came down far enough before game time, so it looks like I need to pay more attention to game-time decisions :v:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've never done an NBA contest so I entered tonight's freeroll on DK ...with Kobe. I thought about doing a $1 entry or two but I'm glad I didn't. Apparently the decision came down far enough before game time, so it looks like I need to pay more attention to game-time decisions :v:

I checked at 6:40 and then at 7:11 got an update that Kobe was out. I mean I guess I have to check 5 minutes before every game but I swore 20 minutes was more than enough to set my lineups and be ok.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Look, California. I know DFS is gambling. I do it responsibly. It's fun.

Don't take my fun away you fuckers.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Look, California. I know DFS is gambling. I do it responsibly. It's fun.

Don't take my fun away you fuckers.

can we just add a gambling tax that funds addiction treatment and be done with it? plz? :911:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Luckily for spoeank and myself California and Illinois have two of the more "friendly" dfs bills so far introduced to the legislature. Washington also might be considered regulation which would certainly buck the trend of making dfs harder to play.

I would definitely recommend following Legal Sports Report as all this madness proceeds.

On a more fun note I managed to cash in my basketball double ups tonight despite Wesley Matthews getting 1.75 points. Yes, 1.75 points in an entire basketball game. #skillgame

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If anyone has D-Wade tonight get him out of your lineups. His kid is in the hospital so he isn't playing.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

jabro posted:

If anyone has D-Wade tonight get him out of your lineups. His kid is in the hospital so he isn't playing.

Holy gently caress CP3 out too....I've had like 4 days in a row with a player who was ruled out literal minutes before a game starts.

Fuuuuuuucccckkk

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Sweet lord. Barely landed the monday thursday 5$ 50/50 . That should help with roi this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Uh oh, Business Insider reports FanDuel is 3 days behind on payouts. Their spokesperson says that the delay is caused by new identity verification measures and definitely not a bank run on their site.

• Locked thread