Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
So I found a Yao Guai who dreamed of flight, and his wish was granted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LMAO there's a terminal that you literally cannot use because when you step away from it after using it it clips you into the chair behind it and you can't move out.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

because bethesda is afraid to design enemies that will kill you in one hit and their only metric for difficulty is "does it take forever to kill"

And then you run into suicidal nuclear bomb carrying super mutants and realize you were wrong.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fosson posted:

I meant you, we as gamers...do you seriously put a numeric value to games you play while you play them?

I mean; yeah but that's not like that's where my analysis of the game begins or ends. It's just useful so if someone asks "should I buy [game]" I can say "I give it like a six" and they'll have a rough idea of what that means.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So uh, for anyone who got the Pip Boy Edition, DO NOT press the black button next to the spinner on the top right.

I just got it out of the case, and was playing around with all the knobs and spinners, and naturally assumed it was another button to press. Nope, the button caved under surprisingly little pressure, and got wedged inside the casing.

I didn't want to send it back, despite calling the online retailer and being told that they had a limited number of units for replacement if I sent it off fast enough. Luckily it was easy enough to repair myself by taking it apart - but I sure as hell won't be risking pressing it again - It's just built badly, with a solid fixture to the inside of the case, that's attached to the button itself with two, thin, weak plastic arms that will easily bend under pressure.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Uh...is this the thread I post in to ask what the gently caress settlements are and how I do anything with them?

They are like 87 crafting stations in this town and I don't know what the gently caress. Where is Sunny Smiles

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rohaq posted:

Luckily it was easy enough to repair myself by taking it apart - but I sure as hell won't be risking pressing it again - It's just built badly, with a solid fixture to the inside of the case, that's attached to the button itself with two, thin, weak plastic arms that will easily bend under pressure.

My God it's a direct metaphor for gamebryo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FairGame posted:

Uh...is this the thread I post in to ask what the gently caress settlements are and how I do anything with them?

They are like 87 crafting stations in this town and I don't know what the gently caress. Where is Sunny Smiles

Keep following quests, you'll get a tutorial quest that tells you all about how to fix up and do stuff with settlements. The people living and working there generate resources for you over time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gonkish posted:

So fyi, you can totally tell dogmeat to go look for some loot in vault 111 and if you're near the cryolater he will grab it despite it being locked in the case.

So enjoy that.

ok yea this works. just keep spamming find item(maybe container works idk). and obviously be in the same room as the weapon.

Meowbot posted:

I've been bitching about this games graphics and I dont own a hat but perhaps I need to eat one.

Game looks great.

same but ironically

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 11, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder if I can construct a giant dome around Sanctuary. If not I eagerly await the mod that will let me.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just so anyone sees it in this busy thread- I saw comments on reddit from 2 hours ago that said the issue someone brought up where you need to scrap your items, or else they'll get used inefficiently if they get autoconverted to use in a recipe, is not true. So it works like it should, and the extra scrap products get placed into your stash or whatever.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

game looks okay/10

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Any one else on PS4 having the problem of permanently holding one of your arms to your body like its crippled, even though it isnt?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Legin Noslen posted:

Any one else on PS4 having the problem of permanently holding one of your arms to your body like its crippled, even though it isnt?

I have not had this problem.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Rohaq posted:

So uh, for anyone who got the Pip Boy Edition, DO NOT press the black button next to the spinner on the top right.

I just got it out of the case, and was playing around with all the knobs and spinners, and naturally assumed it was another button to press. Nope, the button caved under surprisingly little pressure, and got wedged inside the casing.

I didn't want to send it back, despite calling the online retailer and being told that they had a limited number of units for replacement if I sent it off fast enough. Luckily it was easy enough to repair myself by taking it apart - but I sure as hell won't be risking pressing it again - It's just built badly, with a solid fixture to the inside of the case, that's attached to the button itself with two, thin, weak plastic arms that will easily bend under pressure.

you bought a lovely mcdonalds toy and it has the structural integrity of a mcdonalds toy, got it

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to schlep people from other settlements to another? I'd rather have Sanctuary be the only one I deal with, but my sperginess prevents me from not defending even the little ones with turrets and poo poo.

Related, does the (super early quest) quest telling you to build a radio tower at the cleared out theater have to be done there, or can I build it in Sanctuary instead?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Random thoughts as I start playing this game:

- I think my guy ended looking like a blond Gordon Freeman by accident
- Robot actually said my character's name! Cool!
- It's real neat to see what Pre-War 50s RetroFuture America looked like before the bombs fell
- I picked a balanced SPECIAL because oh god I don't know
- Jerks shot my wife and took my baby away! Honestly I don't care but my character does apparently.
- Gunplay isn't total rear end like in 3 and NV
- I found a tape that plays Donkey Kong, neato!
- Poor Cogsworth. Leave it to Bethesda to make me care more about a robot than my wife and child.
- I found a lovely pipe pistol and turned it into a makeshift sniper pistol. Weapon mod system is awesome.
- How do I VATS?
- MUST CLEAN THE WASTELAND OF TRASH! SCRAP EVERYTHING!!!

So, cool game so far.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

oh gently caress you have to have them in your inventory to craft poo poo? OH jesus

No, and I don't know how you got that from my post. I was talking about taking items from one settlement to another. The crafting stations in one settlement all share the same item pool, but when you unlock a new settlement, it will have nothing. So I wanted to take enough items to my new settlement to build two turrets. This is an easy way of finding out which items give gears, circuits, etc for doing so. When you are actually crafting the items for your settlement, the junk can be in your personal inventory or in the workbenches.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Enjoying the game, but is a crime that I can't give Dogmeat a treat after he rips out some throats.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Enjoying the game, but is a crime that I can't give Dogmeat a treat after he rips out some throats.

Yeah...he came running up to me with what I naturally assumed was a stick and I was really looking forward to playing fetch but it was just a lousy pipe pistol.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Has anyone tried the cash register sound removal mod? Does it work? Just about to finish downloading in steam and seems like a first run mod to me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Where do you get dogmeat? I never found him on my 2nd game and I forget where he was on the first time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Where do you get dogmeat? I never found him on my 2nd game and I forget where he was on the first time.

Some junkyard. I think it's up by Paradise City. If you're talking about 4 and you've already beat it twice. :stare: He's at the red rocket settlement place.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Trying out the building systems, I love the idea of it. And I enjoy running around cleaning up my property. But I'm stuck using a controller, and I find it kind of hard to actually build with. The system for housing parts to snap together is finnicky, especially things like fences that just won't connect in a straight line no matter what. Speaking of which, you can't raise or lower objects, and they don't automatically dip and rise with the ground. If the ground slopes down the fence just floats in the air. If it slopes up you just can't build a fence there.

No way for buildable objects to clip with each other or with the terrain (not exactly the flattest work space aside from the plots). And NPCs love just hanging in doorways and never moving.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Help me goons, I lost the laser rifle 'Righteous Authority' that Danse gives you, the usual console fuckery ain't giving me an id for it, anyone able to tell me it so I can console a replacement?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Jesus wept, start the game, click exit, "Press Enter to confirm". If I didn't really want to play this game I probably wouldn't start it again based on that horrendous UI decision.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it takes real human beings a good bit of time together to care about "family" this is why the "my family" hook won't ever god damned work in a game.

Unless like half of the game is spent interacting with your family in interesting and fun ways that make you care about them.

They should have cryofroze a bunch of people and their pets and have the protag have to go looking for their dog a few minutes/hours/days after it is taken away.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NecroMonster posted:

it takes real human beings a good bit of time together to care about "family" this is why the "my family" hook won't ever god damned work in a game.

Unless like half of the game is spent interacting with your family in interesting and fun ways that make you care about them.

They should have cryofroze a bunch of people and their pets and have the protag have to go looking for their dog a few minutes/hours/days after it is taken away.

I'll probably get flak for this but I strongly prefer the family motivation of 4 and 3 to "some guy shot you. Get your revenge 1/5th of the way through the story then continue because reasons" of new Vegas.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NecroMonster posted:

Did you never play red dead redemption or

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Seashell Salesman posted:

Has anyone tried the cash register sound removal mod? Does it work? Just about to finish downloading in steam and seems like a first run mod to me.

Yeah it works fine.

On an unrelated note I already have 4 sets of Power Armor. I may be addicted to something other than chems.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Did you never play red dead redemption or

no, did that actually get it to work somehow?

Wait, where "you" the main character or was it a dude (who you controlled) who was the main character because this matters.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I just got to Diamond City and it's October 31, and there are Halloween decorations everywhere. And apparently reddit says they do it for other holidays too. That's a cool thing

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Dog has found something!

*Dog comes rushing at me and drops three pipe pistols at my feet*

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NecroMonster posted:

Wait, where "you" the main character or was it a dude (who you controlled) who was the main character because this matters.

Yeah, but they did a lot of side missions that were based around getting close to your family, like rounding up cattle and poo poo with your son, and it all paid off so hard at the end. That game was incredible. And it's a rockstar game, so no, "you" weren't the main character. The story was all plotted. Go to L for next mission kind of stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

NecroMonster posted:

John Marston was a character you controlled who had his own personality and motivations and who acted independently of you in cutscenes, you never picked dialogue for him, the most you could do is pretty much decide whether to kill a person or take them in alive.

So yes, you're entirely correct in thinking that it's completely different from a game where you create your own character from scratch. You literally don't even see his family until the very end of the game, he just talks about them as the reason he's going from mission to mission.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do settlements ever actually get attacked? I've set up decent defenses at most of the settlements I've created, but nothing has happened yet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

NecroMonster posted:

Yeah John Marston was a defined character with his own poo poo, you just control him. Which can work fine. OTOH you can have a game with your own motivations and shite, and that can work fine. Bethesda has managed to hit an unhappy medium between the two with astonishing precision - too much of an existing character to be comfortably shaped for yourself, not enough of one to actually fulfill their role as a character.

I do enjoy how my Chloe has such wild swings in attitude though

:v: "Hey, welcome to $LOCATION!"
:j: "Thanks, looks like a nice place!"
:v: "So what brings you here? Anything I can help you with?"
:smith: "My son was.. kidnapped... my baby boy."
:v: "Oh man that's messed up. I'm sorry I can't help. But I have a few items that might be useful on the road..."
:j: "Sure, I've got a few minutes to browse!"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Well that's cool that they got it to work but there are a lot of psychological reasons that sort of story hook won't really work in the kind of games Bethesda makes. It's much much easier to feel empathy for someone who loses family than it is to feel like some video game pixels you just met "is" family.

Now if there was only some way to explain this to Bethesda's writers.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah, it's a little different for a sandbox game. Like how nobody gave a poo poo about "Dad" in FO3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
John Marston is a good character but I think Necromonster prefers games where you insert yourself, like Elder Scrolls and Fallouts.

• Locked thread