Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys put rotten leftover beer smut on toast so you can't talk poo poo about merica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ignimbrite posted:

Sandals have other straps and poo poo on them. The only thing connecting a thong to your foot is a piece of rubber / fabric which goes between your big toe and the next toe along.

Also flip flop is a dumb name for thongs :colbert: It's almost like the names of things can vary by geographical range and culture :v: A "thong", as in the underwear, usually gets called a bikini bottom or a G-string here.

Bikini bottoms, G-strings, and thongs are all different. Lrn2fashion

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just sell some old rope belts as O-strings

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ignimbrite posted:

Sandals have other straps and poo poo on them. The only thing connecting a thong to your foot is a piece of rubber / fabric which goes between your big toe and the next toe along.

Also flip flop is a dumb name for thongs :colbert: It's almost like the names of things can vary by geographical range and culture :v: A "thong", as in the underwear, usually gets called a bikini bottom or a G-string here.

Ugh, you and your slight cultural differences disgust me. Sandals and flips flops are synonymous, thongs are underwear with only a thin strip of fabric that extends up your crotch and butt, g-strings are like thongs except with only a single strip of elasticated fabric in the back, and bikini bottoms are normal underwear except made for swimming.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm glad there's no crocs in there.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Croccers posted:

I'm glad there's no crocs in there.

Most people in Australia know to stay well the gently caress away from crocs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had heard of Japanese panty vending machines and just figured Australia had its own culturally appropriate skimpy clothing options.

Pacific ocean people are so weird.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Jandal > thong, deal with it :colbert:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Clearly this conversation is a failure on the part of Australia's Marketing/PR Firm. If they did their jobs, we would either all be calling shoes 'thongs', or even better, not have the word associated with shoes/underwear all together.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wanamingo posted:

Ugh, you and your slight cultural differences disgust me. Sandals and flips flops are synonymous, thongs are underwear with only a thin strip of fabric that extends up your crotch and butt, g-strings are like thongs except with only a single strip of elasticated fabric in the back, and bikini bottoms are normal underwear except made for swimming.

Sandals and flip-flops aren't synonymous. Flip-flops specifically have the one strap that goes between the toes (and usually a cheap foam sole), but sandals can have all sorts of other straps and poo poo, although flip-flops are a subcategory of sandals.

Flip-flops:

NOT flip-flops:

(images stolen from Wikipedia)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I'm just surprised marketers haven't taken the dirt poor standby of used tire chunk + rope, given it a brown cardboard package, and sold it as Green(TM) to cash in on eco-enviro guilt for big bucks

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

I'm just surprised marketers haven't taken the dirt poor standby of used tire chunk + rope, given it a brown cardboard package, and sold it as Green(TM) to cash in on eco-enviro guilt for big bucks
These probably aren't close enough.

eta: These might be, though! "soleRebels: protecting your precious feet + our precious PLANET [and makin' you look EXTRA good in the process]."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had heard of Japanese panty vending machines and just figured Australia had its own culturally appropriate skimpy clothing options.

Pacific ocean people are so weird.

I hate the urban legend of the panty vending machines. In Japan, many every day items are sold though vending machine, this includes pretty much any on the go food like noodles, bread, even hot dogs and fries. My friend who's been living there said you can eat decently from just vending machines, and its probably no worse than eating at food kiosks. This also includes stuff like socks, nylons, tshirts and underpants, both men and womens, so you can get panties from a vending machine but they're brand new and more like going to wal-mart and buying them. There was one in a sex shop that was selling used panties that had been bought from women, which got out and there became some idea that these things were everywhere.

The strangest vending machine that I've heard about from him or anyone else who's from/lived in Japan is the Shrimp one. Yes a tank full of shrimp, which you'd press the button and it would scoop out the shrimp and then weight it and then charge you.

The reason for this is because space is at such a premium in Japan that the square footage to have a store is expensive so its cheaper just to put vending machines in convenient places and let people do all the work. All you have to do is keep them stocked and running.

Vending Machine industry in Japan is why the Red Bull can is shaped like that. Coffee in cans is very popular in Japan, and a standard can is too thick to heat up properly (when you buy it, the machine warms up the can then gives it to you), so a taller, skinnier can was developed that heated him in much less time.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I would have sworn somebody in this thread joked that all Dunkin Donuts needs to do right now is release a holiday cup and rake in millions. Apparently I hallucinated that post but have this anyway, it made me think of you guys.

edit for picture

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Nov 12, 2015

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

. Coffee in cans is very popular in Japan, and a standard can is too thick to heat up properly (when you buy it, the machine warms up the can then gives it to you), so a taller, skinnier can was developed that heated him in much less time.

If this was the life hack thread I would say this is an amazing life hack.(also only for Japanese and Italian brands, are there non-Starbucks/crap US brands?)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have yet to see a single person actually offended at the red cup thing, but my feed is full of people who are really mad about people being offended at the red cup thing. :psyduck: These things are usually blown out of proportion, but it feels like this is more so than usual.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

twistedmentat posted:

Vending Machine industry in Japan is why the Red Bull can is shaped like that. Coffee in cans is very popular in Japan, and a standard can is too thick to heat up properly (when you buy it, the machine warms up the can then gives it to you), so a taller, skinnier can was developed that heated him in much less time.

I call bullshit, not only you can get normal (ie, North American) sized cans and bottles from vending machines in Japan, but there is no way that a can of coffee is heated from ambient temperature to ~50 C in the two seconds between pushing the button and being dispensed. They just sit in a heated compartment, so can shape, size, or construction doesn't really affect the final temperature. Also Red Bull was sold in lots of countries before Japan.

The reason for the can design is that when they first started selling coffee in cans, it was easier to keep bacteria from growing on the milk when it was stored in a steel can rather than an aluminum one. Eventually that was no longer the case, but the design stuck because that was what people expected canned coffee to look like. Last time I was there, though I saw more coffee in aluminum cans, and Google tells me this is to make them lighter to reduce transportation costs.

You're right about all the other stuff, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I have yet to see a single person actually offended at the red cup thing, but my feed is full of people who are really mad about people being offended at the red cup thing. :psyduck: These things are usually blown out of proportion, but it feels like this is more so than usual.

Twitter is basically hysteria in 140 characters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember when there was an idea that the internet would actually reduce hysteria because facts and information would be quick to spread and verify?

That was a nice 2-3 years.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

This video explains it quite good i think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

Too long, didn't watch:
Being angry about something makes people more likely to share it. Multiple people sharing it makes you think it really is a thing. If thing makes you angry, you share it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KozmoNaut posted:

I unironically love this.

Mandatory plain packaging for everything! Sell your drat products on their actual merits and not the flashy colors on the packaging.

But the this thread would be completely devoid of new content.
Cant have that on my conscience.

(this handwriting recognition is REALLY GOOD )

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sandals and flip-flops aren't synonymous. Flip-flops specifically have the one strap that goes between the toes (and usually a cheap foam sole), but sandals can have all sorts of other straps and poo poo, although flip-flops are a subcategory of sandals.

Flip-flops:

Nothing is worse than a man wearing a toe ring.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Opie_Yates posted:

Crap, did it slip down there again?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Remember when there was an idea that the internet would actually reduce hysteria because facts and information would be quick to spread and verify?

That was a nice 2-3 years.

I remember thinking urban legends would go away because people could just look poo poo up and find out if it's true or not. "Is Timberland run by the KKK? No, Google says it's run by Jews. Cool."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

People are figuring out how this poo poo works (see the video RabbitWizard posted) and are exploiting it for pageviews/likes/plussies/whatever. I've even seen seemingly legitimate journalists whip up #cupgate tweets and actual articles about "The Red Cup Controversy," even though it's not real.

Welcome to the new age, where journalists don't fact-check anymore and just slap poo poo up on social media, the newspaper, and even broadcast news!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That's because nobody is actually offended but a bunch of people needed an excuse to smugly talk about "the real meaning of Christmas" and drop bon mots against Christian strawmen, even though most of them have either never met an actual deeply religious person or they unfriend anybody with remotely conservative viewpoints.

Goddammit I miss the IOSM thread.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's because nobody is actually offended but a bunch of people needed an excuse to smugly talk about "the real meaning of Christmas" and drop bon mots against Christian strawmen, even though most of them have either never met an actual deeply religious person or they unfriend anybody with remotely conservative viewpoints.

Goddammit I miss the IOSM thread.

Good news, everyone!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bad news, it will probably be gassed within 72 hours again.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raPKWeAVz8

I'm not quite sure I understand the point here. Is this something kids would actually want?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I love how they directly spell out the company's logic of "We're gunna need some more crayons" right in the ad

I don't think the ad's directly targeting the kids, I think it's going after the parents who see things like http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/astonishing-pencil-lead-sculptures on reddit/pintrest/facebook/whatever since the lingo is specifically the kind of things adults think kids say when being confrontational but still kid-safe

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDsgB4nfC9w

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Wanamingo posted:

I'm not quite sure I understand the point here. Is this something kids would actually want?

There will be soooooooo many swears carved into crayons

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hirayuki posted:

eta: These might be, though! "soleRebels: protecting your precious feet + our precious PLANET [and makin' you look EXTRA good in the process]."

Sweet Jesus, I appreciate their humble, little-guy entrepreneurial spirit, but someone has GOT to talk to them about image resolutions and how they work. That front page made my eyes bleed.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I've heard of that idiocy being called Web 4.0, and that true crime of design certainly qualifies as a dumb move in marketing

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcg4tbd6X9c

Gee, I wonder if many people have been buying Amazon tablets.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGEd6ZmwZ7Q

"I was fired from my last job for being too much of a shitbag, and now I need money. Here's a thing you should buy."

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Nov 13, 2015

Henker
May 5, 2009

Opie_Yates posted:

Nah, men wearing diamond stud earrings. Any time I see a dude with those I want to punch them in the face.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

Motherfucker, Crayola is cutting into my artisanally carved crayon market.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wanamingo posted:

Seems like the point is just to gently caress up crayons :confused:

Also holy poo poo, the first word they spell is "Noob"

It sure is 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Talking about strange rules when it comes to marketing addictive stuff I've noticed that TV commercials in Canada for alcohol don't actually show anyone drinking. They will have a scene in a bar, beers all around, people talking and laughing and doing whatever, but no-one actually drinks. The glass never touches someones lips, no one takes a gulp. Nothing. It kind of seems strange because if you were at a bar you would expect to see people drinking, especially if you heard an voice over telling you how smooth tasting the beer in front of you is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This popped up while I was browsing the NFL's website today: