Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Morbid Fiesta posted:

If you suggest soylent you can go gently caress yourself.

What's so bad about soylent? I used it for a few weeks, transitioned to my own blend, and I've felt noticeably healthier. Of course, most of that is probably the fact that I'm no longer hitting 300% DV on sodium.

Shooting Blanks posted:

gently caress that. You don't take a day off for the cold because you're sick, you take the day off because you're contagious and you don't want to get everyone else sick. If someone wants to tough it out through an injury, that's on them. Anyone who tries to tough it out through a transmittable virus is an rear end in a top hat.

This. I called my serving job just before the FT place fired me, told them I intended to come in, but heads up because I'm not on top of my game and I am visibly sick. They told me to hold on, called back an hour later and told me to get some rest.

Sondheim posted:

Seems to be going around this season. Adequately staffed, my place runs with 10 servers, 8 support staff, and 3 bartenders for an average 380 covers/night.

This past weekend we had 5 servers, 2 bartenders including yours truly, and 5 support staff, and we did 503 covers Saturday night, a number which doesn't include the 10-deep throng of folks who posted up and ate at the bar. At one point a guy asked me to make an old fashioned while service bar tickets were hitting the floor and I said very calmly "The bad news is it'll be about 25 minutes, the good news is if you're willing to wait that long it'll be free!"

We hit 1.5 hour wait times for entrees and 45 minute waits for apps. Flames. Flames on the side of my face. Tonight we've got 250 on the books plus a massive PDR on our mezzanine and I just read two callout emails because people's immune systems go to poo poo when they're being as brutally thrashed as we've been this season.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war, I guess.

The nice thing about sports bars is with everything being frozen or deep-fried, standard entree time is 10 minutes and it's nearly impossible to hit even an hour wait for an entree. You guys fired those calloffs for their less than 24/48/72 hours notice right?

I just finished filling out my unemployment additional info, including a brief but detailed statement on what led up to last Friday. Even if I don't get approved, if this gets to corporate I'm going to be able to see the hellfire raining down from the view of my apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Vorenus posted:

What's so bad about soylent? I used it for a few weeks, transitioned to my own blend, and I've felt noticeably healthier. Of course, most of that is probably the fact that I'm no longer hitting 300% DV on sodium.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFBWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA uh, I mean, uh. Yes. Yes that is probably a contributing factor, yes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
How The gently caress Is Soylent Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Eat Some drat Food Like Nigga Open Your Mouth Haha

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Are we talking about an old sci fi movie right now? What is happening in this thread?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Secret Spoon posted:

Are we talking about an old sci fi movie right now? What is happening in this thread?

Soylent is a meal replacement beverage, advertised as a "staple meal", available in both liquid and powdered forms. Its creators state that Soylent meets all nutritional requirements for an average adult.[4]

It was first created and tested by software engineer Rob Rhinehart as a self-experiment in nutrition. Subsequently, the powdered version of Soylent was developed into the first product line of the company Rosa Labs, who currently markets and sells the formulation.

Rosa Labs states that the current formulation is based on recommendations of the Institute of Medicine[5] and that Soylent meets the current Food and Drug Administration requirements to be sold as a food.[6] Rosa Labs also states that Soylent includes all of the elements of a healthy diet, without excess amounts of sugars, saturated fats, or cholesterol.[7]

a tech.0 solution to the stagnant marketplace of eating some motherfucking vegetables

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

That sounds super dumb. Although most of the people around my age have no clue how to cook so I guess it's not surprising.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Secret Spoon posted:

That sounds super dumb. Although most of the people around my age have no clue how to cook so I guess it's not surprising.

yeah, soylent is for SF manchildren who pay $25 for a grilled cheese and go to cereal bars

it also has lots of heavy metals in it, iirc

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Morbid Fiesta posted:

Anyone have recommendations on decent/healthy meal replacements that I can get down with?

Steak.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It is the opinion of Matt Boars that Oyster Crackers are down to gently caress

loquacius posted:

If anyone else here had been wondering about Bors' opinions on crackers as much as I had, I've got some good news for you

boars posted:

- A Triscuit® is not a bad cracker by any stretch of the imagination. Master spreading cheese on one without breaking it and you’re in for a very good snack sesh.

- Nut Thins® I can really get down with. Great texture. Sturdy. They snap off in my mouth—it’s love. A+ cracker in my book.

- Ritz®? I never did get the love for these compressed discs of sawdust. The shape irritates me. Plenty of other options. Oh — very great with peanut butter somehow.

- Now, Cheez-It® crackers I need to be really careful around. Don’t hand me a box thinking you’ll get it back with crackers inside. Love to luxuriate in the crumbs in mah bed.

- Chicken In a Biskit® is crime.

- Cheese Nips®, my theory goes, were made as backups for when I eat all the Cheez-It® crackers on earth. No one remembers a second place cracker.

- Nabisco® New England Oyster Crackers should feel free to jump in my soup anytime, in that little cute packet looking like they wanna gently caress. Crushed or whole, I don’t discriminate.

- Original Club Crackers® should be our money.

- Wheat Thins® are a top-notch superb cracker, rightly celebrated for its versatility. Don’t need the flavors, thank you, just hit me with the original classic, unadorned by whatever food item you’re pushing.

- Premium® saltines have their uses. I will, on occasion, fill my mouth with them until I can no longer move my jaw. I call this “the cracker procedure.”

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Jesus. Just eat food.

Hell you might even like it.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hey man, some people are able to compose enjoyable pieces of writing about food and some people can get down. I'm sorry you can't seem to do either.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Um what? I'm always up for some man-and-his-dog hilarity, but that's not remotely an enjoyable piece of food writing -- it's a few not funny lines about crackers. You could replace the crackers with loving anything.

- A pigeon is not a bad cracker by any stretch of the imagination. Master spreading cheese on one without breaking it and you’re in for a very good snack sesh.

- Your mom I can really get down with. Great texture. Sturdy. She snap off in my mouth—it’s love. A+ cracker in my book.

- Veggie burgers? I never did get the love for these compressed discs of sawdust. The shape irritates me. Plenty of other options. Oh — very great with peanut butter somehow.

- Now, Crayola crayons I need to be really careful around. Don’t hand me a box thinking you’ll get it back with crackers inside. Love to luxuriate in the crumbs in mah bed.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
If I'm working up to sixteen hours a day and I have an option to get all of my nutrients in a quick, convenient liquid form that costs $3/day yeah that's just dumb and childish. Please excuse the intrusion of my manchild opinion.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

As long as you mix it with whiskey.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Drink and Fight posted:

Indispensable life advice here.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Vorenus posted:

If I'm working up to sixteen hours a day and I have an option to get all of my nutrients in a quick, convenient liquid form that costs $3/day yeah that's just dumb and childish. Please excuse the intrusion of my manchild opinion.

Serious talk, you're not getting all of your nutrients from soylent because there's a lot more going on in terms of your body absorbing nutrients from food then just the main vitamins and minerals themselves. This is also why those one a day vitamins are junk.

There's also the fact that soylent has more grams of fat than protein per serving, which, you know, is generally not the greatest thing for health. Guess that's to be expected from something whose primary ingredient is canola and sunflower oil powder.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Turkeybone posted:

Um what? I'm always up for some man-and-his-dog hilarity, but that's not remotely an enjoyable piece of food writing -- it's a few not funny lines about crackers. You could replace the crackers with loving anything.

- A pigeon is not a bad cracker by any stretch of the imagination. Master spreading cheese on one without breaking it and you’re in for a very good snack sesh.

- Your mom I can really get down with. Great texture. Sturdy. She snap off in my mouth—it’s love. A+ cracker in my book.

- Veggie burgers? I never did get the love for these compressed discs of sawdust. The shape irritates me. Plenty of other options. Oh — very great with peanut butter somehow.

- Now, Crayola crayons I need to be really careful around. Don’t hand me a box thinking you’ll get it back with crackers inside. Love to luxuriate in the crumbs in mah bed.

The Restaurant Industry Thread - Your mom I can really get down with. A+ cracker in my book

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

Protein shakes and fruit smoothies can fill in some gaps with protein and vitamins and such, but the "real" answer

...is that every word in this phrase is at odds with every other word. If you're eating something other than a square meal then there's gonna be some sacrifices.

I'm currently playing the get barely enough sleep or eat real food game and I'm doubling down on what little sleep I can get. I'm not even the sous this time around. Why is this happening?

Drink and Fight posted:

I'm about to start drinking heavily again

Sustainable life choices

A Man and his dog posted:

Jesus. Just eat food.

Hell you might even like it.

Tryin' to

Willie Tomg posted:

How The gently caress Is Soylent Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Eat Some drat Food Like Nigga Open Your Mouth Haha

P. much this.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
It's over.

Unless I hosed something up (likely because i'm getting "tomorrow-is-my-only-day-off-wasted" at the moment) that's 4266 reuben items total. Last year was just above 1000 and 500+ came from Friday alone. That was the record we beat on Monday when we were blindsided by demand, and bested at least twice later in the week. No one cares but I'm sharing anyway because tonight was a normal Monday and we only had two BOH so everything was harder than it needs to be and I'm loving exhausted so gently caress it I'm venting

cdc your av/title loving rules

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vorenus posted:

I kinda assumed most people working in the food service industry enjoyed tasty food, at least as a concept, but color me wrong.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Morbid Fiesta posted:

I'm currently playing the get barely enough sleep or eat real food game and I'm doubling down on what little sleep I can get. I'm not even the sous this time around. Why is this happening?

Instead of buying something retarded like soylent, can't you just make your own shakes with some rolled oats, milk, quark or a scoop or two of whey and some berries and fruit? That is what i did when I wanted to add some calories to my normal diet when I trained six times a week. Throwing that in a blender in the morning doesn't take more than a minute.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Dunno who bought it, but I love them for it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
When I was dieting in the restaurant I ate all the veggies/tuna scraps/chicken skins/etc.. Do you really need the powdered stuff when you're surrounded by food?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Turkeybone posted:

When I was dieting in the restaurant I ate all the veggies/tuna scraps/chicken skins/etc.. Do you really need the powdered stuff when you're surrounded by food?

Well, I'm a legal analyst for a government agency, so sadly there is a lot less food lying around where I work.

Working hours and salary make up for it compared to the restaurant industry though, so I shouldn't complain.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

It's over.

Unless I hosed something up (likely because i'm getting "tomorrow-is-my-only-day-off-wasted" at the moment) that's 4266 reuben items total. Last year was just above 1000 and 500+ came from Friday alone. That was the record we beat on Monday when we were blindsided by demand, and bested at least twice later in the week. No one cares but I'm sharing anyway because tonight was a normal Monday and we only had two BOH so everything was harder than it needs to be and I'm loving exhausted so gently caress it I'm venting

Yeah but you wrote it in comic sans you monster

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Dunno who bought it, but I love them for it.

It was absolutely worth the money. I didn't buy mine, figured I should pass it along.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I kinda assumed most people working in the food service industry enjoyed tasty food, at least as a concept, but color me wrong.

I absolutely do love tasty food, and I prefer cooking for myself, but sometimes it's easier to save some time and suck down some fast calories. The job I had, other than salads it was a choice between massive doses of sodium or sugar. Or both. The other job is 90% fried food. Don't get me wrong, both places offer a great selection of incredibly delicious food, but nutritionally speaking the options are/were very limited.

Turkeybone posted:

DekeThornton posted:

Instead of buying something retarded like soylent, can't you just make your own shakes with some rolled oats, milk, quark or a scoop or two of whey and some berries and fruit? That is what i did when I wanted to add some calories to my normal diet when I trained six times a week. Throwing that in a blender in the morning doesn't take more than a minute.

This is what I've been doing for the past month or so. Whey, oat powder, potassium and some other stuff. Rolled oats work better nutritionally, but chewing my way through a few cups of vanilla-flavored oats is a miserable experience. It isn't perfect but c'mon for a cost breakdown of $3/day I can get most everything I need in my diet, then supplement that with some snacking on fruits/veggies/whatever. I would never push it on anyone, because it absolutely isn't for everyone, but it works quite well for me. The savings alone is great given that I'm paying 100% of my college classes up front. On top of that, I've tried eating properly to make gains with my lifting in the past, and I could not keep up without eating myself to the point of discomfort multiple times a day. I did end up making entirely homemade burritos last night and it was a great changeup, but I also have a lot of free time this week until I move into FT at my other job.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I should admit I use meal replacements too.

Specifically: beer, whiskey and cocaine.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
whoa, lets not rule out the food group that is wine. Red wine is healthy I'm pretty sure. I read that on the internet once.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
-

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 11, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vorenus posted:

I absolutely do love tasty food, and I prefer cooking for myself, but sometimes it's easier to save some time and suck down some fast calories. The job I had, other than salads it was a choice between massive doses of sodium or sugar. Or both. The other job is 90% fried food. Don't get me wrong, both places offer a great selection of incredibly delicious food, but nutritionally speaking the options are/were very limited.

This is what I've been doing for the past month or so. Whey, oat powder, potassium and some other stuff. Rolled oats work better nutritionally, but chewing my way through a few cups of vanilla-flavored oats is a miserable experience. It isn't perfect but c'mon for a cost breakdown of $3/day I can get most everything I need in my diet, then supplement that with some snacking on fruits/veggies/whatever. I would never push it on anyone, because it absolutely isn't for everyone, but it works quite well for me. The savings alone is great given that I'm paying 100% of my college classes up front. On top of that, I've tried eating properly to make gains with my lifting in the past, and I could not keep up without eating myself to the point of discomfort multiple times a day. I did end up making entirely homemade burritos last night and it was a great changeup, but I also have a lot of free time this week until I move into FT at my other job.

Ensure has existed for decades and is FDA approved and 100% medically safe for about the same amount of $. Soylent is literally a tech-nerd fetish with amazing marketing by catering to people who think its Food 2.0 and don't realize actual heavily regulated and controlled products like it already exist.

Also, generally meal replacement shakes are designed for a single meal, not an entire diet. The creator of Soylent has literally depopulated his gut flora from a Soylent only diet so if you have any health concerns then Soylent 3x a day and barely any actual food is a really bad loving idea.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

whoa, lets not rule out the food group that is wine. Red wine is healthy I'm pretty sure. I read that on the internet once.

White wine is also a really solid breakfast. Today, being veterans day, I started with a bottle of champagne with me and two buddies. Truly, this is how god meant for us to breakfast.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Gotta stop you there, champ. You're close, but the Chosen Breakfast of our Lord is a pitcher of meadmosa.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Eh, no, it's definitely champagne.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I would take a classic Ramos Gin Fizz with my breakfast every day, if I could.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I need someone to beat me with a stick or something, I am having my every six months' bout of being destructively bored with office work and missing production baking.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Liquid Communism posted:

I need someone to beat me with a stick or something, I am having my every six months' bout of being destructively bored with office work and missing production baking.

can you make this gluten-free?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm SO allergic to gluten... like I totally can't have any... I think I'm like celiac or something... so like can I get the rice bread and also I'm going to stand around in this room where the air is 5% flour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Splizwarf posted:

Gotta stop you there, champ. You're close, but the Chosen Breakfast of our Lord is a pitcher of meadmosa.

I thought it was a massive piece of chocolate cake washed down with a double shot of bourbon?

pile of brown posted:

I'm SO allergic to gluten... like I totally can't have any... I think I'm like celiac or something... so like can I get the rice bread and also I'm going to stand around in this room where the air is 5% flour

I went cross-eyes a few weeks back - someone claimed a gluten allergy on their sandwich, no bread, fresh gloves, no contamination, etc. and when we told them that we cook our fries in the same oil we cook hush puppies in "Oh, that's fine".

Well ok then, your "allergy" can't be that serious.

Or the GM obsessing over poultry allergy because a relative has it. That's simply rare enough to where it's on a guest to step up and inform us so we can deal with it on a case by case basis.

• Locked thread