Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So how the heck are you supposed to play a BB on pubbie servers, when the cruisers and destroyers immediately scatter and refuse to screen you under any circumstances? Should I just be hovering around the edge of battles and sniping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

If you're playing with pubbie teams, lagging behind the cruiser/destroyer flotilla or joining up with them when they reverse direction to broadside in a ship line is your best bet.

The real answer if anyone is playing this game is, even if you don't have a mic, get on teamspeak and chill in the WoWS lobby to see if anyone wants to division up. Goon divisions are the most OP thing in the game.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Just bought the Ognevoi, any thoughts on Propulsion Mod 2 (20% faster acceleration) or Steering Mod 2 (20% rudder shift time)?

With the top hull, rudder shift is already at 4.8 sec so I am seriously considering the acceleration mod for the first time on any ship because I thrash about so much in these DDs and bleed off a lot of speed.

edit: awesome - inaugural game in new ship, and the very first shot that hits me is a detonation
The rudder shift on RUS DDs is actually worst in class. That's the rudder shift of a light cruiser (which is what the RUS DDs aspire to be, actually). Take the Steering Gears Mod, propulsion is relatively useless except for very specific situations, such as concealed fire from smoke, and thats what you have Engine Boost for.

Omi no Kami posted:

So how the heck are you supposed to play a BB on pubbie servers, when the cruisers and destroyers immediately scatter and refuse to screen you under any circumstances? Should I just be hovering around the edge of battles and sniping?
Don't stray from your allies then. If they ditch you, pull range and try to link back up with teammates. Its very hard to get completely separated from the team, but it can happen. Just keep moving and get to cover, preferably with a line of travel to friendlies. You can afford to tank some damage in a BB, if it gives your team a man advantage elsewhere.

And yes, divisioning with goons ensures that you get a semi-competent friendly nearby who will be able to do something for you, be it pop a Defensive Fire or Smoke Cloud for you if the going gets rough. Or at least tank the enemy for a few seconds before they get themselves killed.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I just had a DD charge my BB during the end of a long BB fight. I'm shooting AP rounds at it because I haven't switched over yet and bring it down to 15 hp before it vomits forth about a dozen torps. I ended up getting one more salvo off to kill him but I take 5 torps in a row and die.

15 goddamn health...

Edit:

Very next game, I detonated up a cruiser at about 75% health.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 11, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

guidoanselmi posted:

one of the more 'i bet they were waiting to do this for centuries' moments of WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-K%C3%A9bir

The frog needs a drat good thrashing every now and then, just to remind him what's what :britain:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If destroying the French fleet was good enough to turn the tide against a dominant continental power once it'll be enough again:colbert:.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

xthetenth posted:

If destroying the French fleet was good enough to turn the tide against a dominant continental power once it'll be enough again:colbert:.

It sure taught the Spanish not to try a third time

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there any way to make the compass or crosshairs give degree bearings instead of compass directions? My friends and I are starting to have a little trouble coordinating, because "New target is the guy more northwest than the other guy" is a little less precise than just saying "the cruiser at 290" :)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You could just target them and hit F3, I think, for the "Focus fire" emote/marker.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

You can afford to tank some damage in a BB, if it gives your team a man advantage elsewhere.

I love it when my team splits up and my out-numbered side of the map is holding on while the other side with the numbers advantage gets slaughtered. :negative:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Huh, x3 first win bonus today.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

wdarkk posted:

Huh, x3 first win bonus today.

This is equivalent to the total amount of respect the eastern block has for American veterans.

You can also buy more virtual stuff from them and they promise to give 20% up to 20k to charity...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
http://hz.changyou.com/data/technology_m.shtml

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Never cared much for M tbh, I'm all about the D.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

lol this is tomorrow around noon

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I like their character portraits though

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

those guns on the surcouf must be a real hoot to use

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

those guns on the surcouf must be a real hoot to use

125s reload time :gonk:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Pretty mediocre compared to you guys but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Any tips on getting citadels? I keep aiming for mid-ship at the waterline but can't reliably hit them. I've pretty much given up on German ships above Tier I. All of the fines were retribution for idiots ramming or shooting me first.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The Aoba honeymoon ended fast. Not because of any obvious flaw in the ship itself, but from being put on teams of morons six times in a row and constantly singled out by every loving Cleveland on the other team.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Pretty mediocre compared to you guys but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Any tips on getting citadels? I keep aiming for mid-ship at the waterline but can't reliably hit them. I've pretty much given up on German ships above Tier I. All of the fines were retribution for idiots ramming or shooting me first.

Hey any game where you get confederate is a pretty good game to me. Right now citadels are kinda weird and AP is acting a bit flaky since the patch. Certain ships - especially low tier Carriers and Japanese cruisers like the Tenryu, Kuma, Furutaka feel extremely vulnerable to them. The Phoenix and Omaha are not especially tough either. The citadels are typically located under the turrets and low along the middle of ship (engine/boilers). Those ships ive mentioned not only have thin armor, but huge citadels. Ive seen people say that the bridge on some ships counts too but I dont know about that.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 12, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ships with guns below 203mm caliber do not have citadel hurtboxes for their magazines, only for the engine room. You can still hit the magazines, it just won't do citadel damage.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So... they didn't fix the 100% bonus to that dogfighting skil... in this mini patch... that's odd.

Also, the nerf to flooding is pretty bad. Had 15 torp hits with my CV 2 floods.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there an english language client of the chinese not-warships? I want to surcouf.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Maybe? We will find out in about 2 hours here. Also sorry for using this thread to talk about bad chinese game as well.

I figured they are almost direct copies so why not, plus this doesn't seem to active and I am sure the chinese one won't stay active.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
if only obsidian would go one step further than their Not-World-of-Tanks modern tanks game. a Not-World-of-Warships game with Nimitz carriers and AEGIS cruisers and poo poo would be neato

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

if only obsidian would go one step further than their Not-World-of-Tanks modern tanks game. a Not-World-of-Warships game with Nimitz carriers and AEGIS cruisers and poo poo would be neato

"Do you have more SAMs than the other team has anti-ship missiles?" doesn't sound like a very interesting game tbh

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

ArchangeI posted:

"Do you have more SAMs than the other team has anti-ship missiles?" doesn't sound like a very interesting game tbh

your gay

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Nah, go back in time and Dreadnought this poo poo. All cruisers are busy making GBS threads out broadsides and have all the guns, destroyers get to death ride with torpedoes, and battlecruisers can have reliable turret flash fires.

The best carrier available is also either the Langley or Hosho.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is in english and has voice activated voip, lol t for talk yo

EDIT: France has one ship, surcouf for 48,800 gold

china has one ship, Anshan for 36,800 gold

you get double gold for buying gold the first time, so 24800 gold is 49.60 and gives you 24800 extra gold on top of it

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 12, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Well I don't drink rum or enjoy lashings, so, yeah

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

their premium system isn't too horrible.

+50% silver and exp
30 days 4,500 gold 150 gold / day
90 days 11,800 gold 131 gold / day
180 days (plus free ship the conneticut tier 2) 17,800 gold 98 gold / day

+100% silver and exp
60 matches 3,000 gold
120 matches 6,000 gold
240 matches 12,000 gold
each are 50 gold per match

They have gold packs that you can purchase eac only once and get double gold from. Total is 155,500 gold with 155,500 bonus. This is a whale thing lol. The total for this is $311.

Otherwise $1 is 500 gold. This is twice as expensive as the package rate.

VIP 30 days is then 9 bucks without packages. For 180 days it is 35.60 without packages.

There is also a growth plan which is crafty. You pay 10,800 gold or 21.60 without packages and upon researching a single Tier 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 you will make back 22,000 gold and 172,000 global exp. Does any other game like this do a growth plan?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Under water sub to sub ramming is a thing but they have to be at the same Z level

there is surface, under water, and deep under water. The deeper you are the more oxygen you use. I have 2.50 minutes underwater at the first level. I have to surface to refill oxygen at a 1:1 ratio.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

So... they didn't fix the 100% bonus to that dogfighting skil... in this mini patch... that's odd.

Also, the nerf to flooding is pretty bad. Had 15 torp hits with my CV 2 floods.

Loooooool, push out a hotfix but forget to move the decimal point back over one place. Wargaming.jpg Now I wonder if they're even aware of the bug.
Also, the nerf to CV torp bomber flooding rate is balanced by the removal of high tier resistance to flooding damage. Before, high tier ships would take reduced damage from flooding compared to lower tiered ships. If they changed that, but left the flooding rate unchanged, it'd be a buff to high tier CVs, something which is presently 100% uncalled for.

IMO, they didn't go far enough with the increased dispersion on the high tier US CV TB spread, but its a step in the right direction.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There is a lot of new and good things in this new ship game

battleships are artillery pieces and you can sneak up to them

depth charging subs is funny as hell

Over it we got 4 or 5 people playing it right now and they are all enjoying it.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

There is a lot of new and good things in this new ship game

battleships are artillery pieces and you can sneak up to them

depth charging subs is funny as hell

Over it we got 4 or 5 people playing it right now and they are all enjoying it.

coming up to a battleship and unloading an entire torpedo slavo feels good

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Surcouf costs €100 worth of gold and the premium ammo does both more damage and have more penetration, with no option to buy it for silver so screw that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Surcouf is half of that with packages, which is still dumb.

Also my favorite gold round.

It is more of an idiot round since you don't really gain much from it. 10% speed and 1 damage. DDs are like 35 km/h and other ships are way slower. Subs are 15-10 km/h

The gold rounds are more like world of tanks where they barely help and lol at people using them.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

laugh when I saw the patcher working when I got home tonight I thought well they probably fixed the dogfighting bug and probably tinkered with the AP physics. Any word on what was changed? my first game so far people are saying AP is godlike and was over buffed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lakedaimon posted:

laugh when I saw the patcher working when I got home tonight I thought well they probably fixed the dogfighting bug and probably tinkered with the AP physics. Any word on what was changed? my first game so far people are saying AP is godlike and was over buffed

AP is about where it was before.