Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Mazed posted:

On the other hand, gently caress Diadem. It's an awful throwback to old-school MMO design where the presence of people other than yourself and your party just means that what you're trying to do is going to become that much more of a pain in the rear end. The forced competition feels unnatural, and all this morning was this tangible sense of pure :smith: as people all across the zone were being friendly, calling out spawns and attempting to coordinate without realizing that only the first group to dive in was going to get anything. It's gonna get really ugly, really fast. People will adapt to it in some way or another, but it feels even worse than the S-rank hunts from 2.x.

Uhhh this isn't true at all, it's pretty piss easy to get enough credit to spawn a chest for your group if you aren't super late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Niton posted:

Okay, before this gains any traction: Every group which gets credit on the boss gets a Gold chest. Credit isn't that high, either - it counts healing (like S ranks), and you only need to be there for maybe a third of the boss to get credit if there's 2+ other groups hitting it. Given how long a boss takes for a single group, it's in everyone's best interest to go to each Star, get its chest, then go back to popping another one.

Lant posted:

Uhhh this isn't true at all, it's pretty piss easy to get enough credit to spawn a chest for your group if you aren't super late.

If I'm incorrect, I am thrilled to be so. Seriously, this is encouraging news.

v v also

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mazed posted:

The forced competition feels unnatural, and all this morning was this tangible sense of pure :smith: as people all across the zone were being friendly, calling out spawns and attempting to coordinate without realizing that only the first group to dive in was going to get anything.

This isn't true at all, multiple parties can get credit for a kill and so far it seems pretty reasonable in what it counts for your party's contribution and giving you credit for it. In fact, it seems like teaming up with other parties and tearing poo poo up is the key to getting the most out of a diadem trip. I got 55 chests (current personal record) from one where like half of the instance decided to grind the poo poo out of a cave, and I'm excited now that we're set up in TPT to bring 3 parties which should make for some drat good hardmode runs.

I really like Diadem, it's some of the best of old MMOs with a lot of the QoL and accessibility of a modern one. It really fills a gap in the content that offers something a bit different than what's been there so far.

Also I predicted it'd be your new God, and so far that seems to pan out. It's endlessly grindable and will probably be the source of some poo poo you'll really need for future relic steps (Materia V), and at the very least, where we're going to be getting our materia for our raid gear in 3.2.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're having trouble with Lord of Verminion or just want to get the Twintania pet:

I found that you can cheese through almost every level of the game under two minutes with Mummy's Little Mummy. Rush them from C to the enemy Shield, spawn two at C and send them to the Arcana C, spawn four at A and send them to Arcana A and spawn the rest at C and split them between C/B. After the Shield is down send the shield party to B.

For the level where the enemy mimics that strategy and for the levels where the enemy actually defends, send 3 to the Shield, 1 to Gate B, then 1 to Gate C, 1 to Gate A, and refresh them until the Gates are destroyed, then just rush down the Arcanas as usual. Send at most two per gate, the enemy will usually ignore the mummy standing at the gate and will not try to defend it anyway. Send the rest to the arcana stones offensively as usual but take time to defend your stones slightly just to gain some time before the gates are gone. So basically Rush Shield + Gates, Defend, Attack when the shield and gates are down.

Most bosses are Monsters and they can all be rushed down with Wind-Up Gentleman. You can defeat Odin in time by saving the special action for the moment he starts casting, just like the real Odin.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

there a more up to date machinist guide out there?

or should I still be a useless piece of poo poo and use gauss, blow cooldowns on wildfire, repeat

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
New event is a total clusterfuck and I have no idea what that was all even about. At least it was a quick clusterfuck and I at least got some okayish glamour armor out of the deal?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Volt Catfish posted:

there a more up to date machinist guide out there?

or should I still be a useless piece of poo poo and use gauss, blow cooldowns on wildfire, repeat

Max wildfire damage is life, max wildfire damage is love.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Is there any consensus on all the spawn mechanics for Diadem yet? I have a few questions.

I know the fresh tracks spawn Rank Vs, but what do the various messages mean? We kept coming across the "air is filled with murderous intent" one but could not figure out what it did if anything. We also had one that said something like we barely feel something in the air close by or something like that.

Today I went in with a group and we could not find how to spawn an S rank the whole 90 minutes (we had killed over a dozen rank Vs by then) and then as we were literally leaving and the timer had 45 seconds left, one finally spawned.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 11, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Daynab posted:

Is there any consensus on all the spawn mechanics for Diadem yet? I have a few questions.

I know the fresh tracks spawn Rank Vs, but what do the various messages mean? We kept coming across the "air is filled with murderous intent" one but could not figure out what it did if anything. We also had one that said something like we barely feel something in the air close by or something like that.

Today I went in with a group and we could not find how to spawn an S rank the whole 90 minutes (we had killed over a dozen rank Vs by then) and then as we were literally leaving and the timer had 45 seconds left, one finally spawned.

S ranks are more (only?) likely to spawn on the islands which have IIIs and IVs as natural wildlife, compared to the islands with IIs on them. Once you're on one, just keep killing until a Tracks appears and it should pop into a Star (at least, on Diadem Normal).

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Niton posted:

S ranks are more (only?) likely to spawn on the islands which have IIIs and IVs as natural wildlife, compared to the islands with IIs on them. Once you're on one, just keep killing until a Tracks appears and it should pop into a Star (at least, on Diadem Normal).

We killed rank IVs and rank IIIs on one island for half an hour and everytime tracks appeared it was only a rank V... that was on normal, so I'm not sure.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so i started playing again for reals after getting burned out leveling at hw launch

i see that exp gaps with no quests available are still a thing

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Some quick notes on Singularity Reactor bardmode, or at least the first half of it that we saw before dying horribly. Honestly I bet this is kind of a fight you really want to watch a video for or something, because as far as we can tell it's just a blizzard of individually very simple (and very familiar for coil types) mechanics that need to be executed in quick succession. The easiest way to wipe is to not think ahead to the next mechanic when dealing with the current one. Unless you're some golden god of raiding this is a a very easy mistake to make, but one that I imagine goes away with practice.

Fun fight so far, though.

Everyone's gonna want to stack on Thordan's butt after the pull, since his first attack is a bunch of circles centered around players they have to run out of. See: titan plumes. He'll then shoot out one of those huge fan attacks with tiny gaps in the pattern, which shouldn't be difficult to dodge unless, say, the servers are melting under the weight of a recent patch. Dragon's Eye doesn't seem to do much (it gives him a buff though, maybe a stacking damage increase?), but Dragon's Gaze must be turned away from (like the arihman boss in WoD or the glare attack in t7), or else you'll get hysteria and probably run into Thordan's cleaves and get oneshot. Then he'll mark everyone with lightning rods that will blast nearby players, so spread out for that. Immediately after the lightning bolts strike, stack up on Thordan's butt again because a huge split-damage attack is coming (thermionic beam from t9 basically). Ancient Quaga will come out for like 7k damage raidwide, and then he'll immediately go into a sword swing + tankbuster + sword swing combo that's pretty vicious. It's physical so congrats if you stuck it out and played Paladin! Otherwise throw out a Virus for the tankbuster (Heaven's Heel) or something.

He'll probably be somewhere between 70-75% at this point? Anyways stack everyone in the middle because Ser Charizard's fire chains + explosions attack from the Vault is coming out, so deal with that like you do in LLDR. Four towers which look identical to the T13 ones will show up as the fire chains are breaking; have someone stand in all of them. You have a few seconds after the explosions go off to get into a tower, so don't feel compelled to commit suicide-by-explosion if one's fully covering a tower!

Ser Zephirin will show up and charge up an attack which deals damage proportional to how much HP he has left. This is a really easy DPS check if you did the towers right. If you didn't everyone is paralyzed and the DPS check will be rather difficult but perfectly managable. A couple seconds before the attack goes off, three more knights will appear outside of the arena in a perfect isosceles triangle. They'll rush forward in a straight line T9 divebomb style after a few seconds; the most reliable way to dodge this is to stand on either side of the short side of the triangle (draw this out on paper and it'll make sense!).

Two more Knights will appear after the charge attack is done; they need to be tanked apart from each other. They'll soon cast Royal Authority, which gives one Damage Up and the other Vulnerability Down; if they were still tethered at this point both of them get both buffs and you're hosed. Dump DPS onto the one with Damage Up obviously. After a bit they'll both charge up Holy Bladedance; the one with Damage Up will loving eviscerate a tank if multiple mitigation spells aren't used (viruses, disables, tank CDs, shields, etc). Then they'll both use Holiest of Holies for a pretty big chunk of raidwide damage.

While this business is going on three of your DPS will be targeted with blue prey markers; when they go off the victim will take like 12000 damage and everything nearby will take damage based on how close they are to you. Think up of some system to move the targeted DPS to equidistant edges of the arena because otherwise everyone will die horribly (corollary: think of some system to prevent the tanks from being vaporized by the dives too! A-B-C placed at thirds around the arena work fine). Assuming you're still alive at this point, they'll recast Royal Authority to switch their buffs and you'll take it again from the top. Also at throughout this phase you'll see a message informing you that the enemy party has gained battle fever if any raid members go down, so I'm going to assume you're proper hosed if that shows up too many times.

Once both knights are down, put everyone in a loose circle in the center so they can clearly see which way they need to run to spread out. Three things are going to happen in quick succession here. First, those slowly expanding void circles from CT will appear under the party, so people have to run out. As they're running, Shiva-style ice crystals will appear over people's heads, so I hope you all ran out in different directions. Lastly, Thordan will use a pulse attack to push people outwards into the death-walls, so everyone has to run back into the middle after the ice crystals go off. Out, then wait a beat, then back in. The only problem is that ice detonations leave behind a frozen death zone, so you need to make sure you're not going to be pushed backwards into one while running into the center.

A bunch of the Comet/Meteor circles from the Xande fight will then appear. You've seen these before: if you can kill them all you move on and if you can't you wipe. A few players will get red prey marks during this phase, which indicates that they're about to take three mini-meteors to the face for like 2k damage each. I don't know if the mini-meteors do AoE damage because I'm a summoner and I"m never standing next to anyone. It's possible!

If you made it through the comet summoning Thordan will show up again and do his whole light-show + broken screen attack you remember from Singularity Reactor normal. Unfortunately we never got past this bit. Good luck!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bard mode ain't nuthin' to gently caress wit', it seems.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Really loved the Void Ark, though I found the pull with the Marlboros and the Pagan's Knot rather confusing. It was fairly chaotic, and nothing spawned on my party's marker, so I ended up running around like an idiot dps'ing things as a Paladin to avoid fighting with other tanks. Loved the aesthetic, and it's fairly mental and really fun.

Diadem is also really great. Had a wonderful first experience in it when I entered it with just two other party members. We ended up joining another party in raiding one of the caves, and there was some great collaboration. When you realise that you don't have to compete for loot, the content is just really fun. It's something I've been really hoping for an age.

The new dungeons are fairly cool too. I really love the design of the environment in the Arboretum in particular. It's just so nice. This is a really awesome patch.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
by far the best change to retainers is their ability to do ventures for arr unspoiled and heavensward hidden items now

it's really great

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Niton posted:

Credit isn't that high, either.

Sometimes. The means by which it decides feels kinda hit or miss.

In my last run of Diadem, we had a Purple Worm show up and we didn't get there until it was probably about 2/3rds dead and laid into it, got credit. Later in the run, we popped a Forgotten Wisent and despite the fact that we were one of two groups there from the very beginning and all of us to a man were wailing on it, we got nothing. It seems to be fairer than say, getting gold on an S rank Hunt though.

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 11, 2015

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Lant posted:

Come join the Diadem goon LS, we're in Hardmode now and oh jesus poo poo happens

This was pretty fun, with all the NMs deciding to spawn on tiny platforms you can get knocked off or feared from.

Someone in Mumble called it "Hunts, but actually fun" and I agree.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Now that post patch has happened. No Lalafells allowed(it's a lie we have lala's:\ ) static is still looking for AST or Sch we raid currently Wed/Thur 9-12 EST and are on A3S. As long as you're good we're willing to get you caught up a bit as well.

Please read this OP: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27576

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If you go to the Diadem as an alliance, do you need multiple airships available? Like 'one airship per party' or something, or do you just need one airship for the lot?

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eight-Six posted:

If you go to the Diadem as an alliance, do you need multiple airships available? Like 'one airship per party' or something, or do you just need one airship for the lot?

One airship for every eight warm bodies.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Bard mode ain't nuthin' to gently caress wit', it seems.

It's not. All that was only to 70%, There's 7ish more phases after that.

It's a great fight though. The new music remix track is great. I love the Fractal piano version.

Here's most of the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czw1XDkjTuY

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 11, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so i started playing again for reals after getting burned out leveling at hw launch

i see that exp gaps with no quests available are still a thing

Huh?

I went through the entire Heavensward MSQ without there being any such thing. There are tons of sidequests, enough that you can't do all of them before hitting 60.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Daynab posted:

We went in as an alliance and noticed each party got different messages so our simple theory is just kill a bunch of poo poo in the same area together so each group is able to spawn their own monsters and we all share in the kill. There was a marked difference in # of spawns when you had groups that shouted and worked together versus groups that went off on their own quietly. When we had our three parties with other pubby groups with us we spawned 2 star and 3 V all in the same spot in the span of minutes and it was a dumb/hilarious clusterfuck.

I have a question about alliances though, what do you need to form an alliance? We tried to do one with two partial parties but it didn't work so the next time we had three full parties. Do you just need 3 parties or do you need full parties or does it have to be 3 full parties? Patch notes made me think we didn't need 3 full parties but I remember when forming alliances for towers you did. Not sure if SE changed it. I'm sure I can grab enough people to test it out today.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Huh?

I went through the entire Heavensward MSQ without there being any such thing. There are tons of sidequests, enough that you can't do all of them before hitting 60.

It's true that the MSQ alone won't get you to 60 without supplementing it with sidequests/fates/dungeons/roulette bonuses. As you said, MSQ + sidequests + maybe a daily roulette bonus or two, however, is plenty.

This does prompt a bit of a tangential question. I'm kind of curious whether there's still the experience gap in the 40s, or if you'd be fine now with the existing exp increases, even without roulette bonuses. Might level an alt to check some time when I'm bored.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Not to mention the dungeon XP changes they made were significant.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have my MCH at 47, and leveling through the 40s is still annoying. Early 40s isn't great because you're still a bit underleveled for North Than FATEs (if you get into a party, then I guess it's not a big deal) and you still have to deal with SV / DD / AV as your dungeon choices, none of which are particularly fun.

I know on top of adding experience to level 50 dungeons, the patch buffed the HW level 51-59 dungeon experience (I haven't verified how much though - edit: previous post seems to verify it's good), so getting an alt from 50 to 60 should be easier even without using quests. FATEs, hunts, roulettes and the latest level of the dungeon you're at means you've got plenty of ways to get there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I was thinking more of the first-time trip through the 40s where, at launch, MSQ was all "okay, come back in five levels" and gave you gently caress-all help with those levels. Diligent sidequesting up to that point might have given you enough lead that it was only "come back in two levels" or something, but there was still a need to stop and dungeon/fate grind your first time through.

Naturally on non-first-time trips, there's armory bonus but also just pure grind (be it roulette, dungeon, fate, whatever). That's not what I was referring to, though. Basically just wondering if MSQ + sidequests + a single run of each dungeon would be enough to hit 50 now, or if you'd still need to pad it out with roulette bonuses, fates, repeat dungeon runs, etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If I buy ceruleum tanks or whatever with my own FC credits, can I join a party led by a person in another FC and use that FC's airship for Diadem Hard?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
My main experience with Diadem so far is fighting a Forgotten Wisent in a cave, which was a hilarious disaster where everybody died multiple times and some guy was whining about people aggroing crabs.

So yeah, Diadem is great.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Vil posted:

I was thinking more of the first-time trip through the 40s where, at launch, MSQ was all "okay, come back in five levels" and gave you gently caress-all help with those levels. Diligent sidequesting up to that point might have given you enough lead that it was only "come back in two levels" or something, but there was still a need to stop and dungeon/fate grind your first time through.

Naturally on non-first-time trips, there's armory bonus but also just pure grind (be it roulette, dungeon, fate, whatever). That's not what I was referring to, though. Basically just wondering if MSQ + sidequests + a single run of each dungeon would be enough to hit 50 now, or if you'd still need to pad it out with roulette bonuses, fates, repeat dungeon runs, etc.

If you avoid all of the optional content, and do the bare minimum of what is required for the MSQ, you will absolutely run into small level gaps. But, if you play the game and go with the flow, you'll be fine.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Neat little aesthetic changes in Azyz Lla, all the warring triad statues are starting to corrode.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:ohdear:

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

So I paid a visit to the Rising Stones after clearing the 3.1 story.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

My main experience with Diadem so far is fighting a Forgotten Wisent in a cave, which was a hilarious disaster where everybody died multiple times and some guy was whining about people aggroing crabs.

So yeah, Diadem is great.

Oh man, there's crabs!? Now I'm even more excited to get in there (hopefully tonight).

Not sarcasm btw, with the news of ffxi's last patch hitting has made me nostalgic to kill some.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Speaking of the 3.1 MSQ...

Holy poo poo, the Warriors of Darkness! We already knew about the Default Hyur Warrior, but I guess the full party from the cinematics came along, too. Have we seen any of those characters in-game before (in, either ARR or 1.0), or have they just been in trailers and cinematics and stuff as stand-ins for the players?

I wish there were a way to get their goth AF armor...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

a kitten posted:

Oh man, there's crabs!? Now I'm even more excited to get in there (hopefully tonight).

Not sarcasm btw, with the news of ffxi's last patch hitting has made me nostalgic to kill some.

Yep, Diadem has a bunch of islands with a bunch of pinchers on them.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Empress Theonora posted:

I wish there were a way to get their goth AF armor...

You can get the items to augment your AF armor and dye it black. That's all it is.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

a kitten posted:

the ffxi crossover event is full of crabs, and i'm not just talking about the people that think ffxi is good either

asynchrony
Apr 26, 2012

blowing bubbles
Just saw the 3.1 trailer and now I'm feeling like playing this.

How long would it take me to get to 60 and farm decent enough gear so I can do the fun stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

asynchrony posted:

Just saw the 3.1 trailer and now I'm feeling like playing this.

How long would it take me to get to 60 and farm decent enough gear so I can do the fun stuff?

Depends on how dedicated you are and if you want to actually enjoy the story. Also how much time you play a day.

Dungeons got buffed EXP across the board so now's a better time than ever to start.

• Locked thread