Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gnome7 posted:

The caveat is that becoming super intense also makes you a monster. I think Saitama managed to avoid that by never becoming TOO intense - he's just not enough into it to become a monster. He's a hero as a hobby, after all.

Also he seems to be fighting undiagnosed chronic depression so that could also be holding him back from getting too into it.

But like you said, this is all better if it's never explained, and this is all just projected theory crafting.

Did someone confirm him as not being a monster? Otherwise you could make the case that he's a Monster Human :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:smugdog:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I will literally lower my score for this series an entire letter grade if they ever explain the source of Saitama's powers.

Maybe this is just me but I feel like the joke is funnier with him just inexplicably being the strongest man in the universe and any explanation would just be some variant of "Because" anyway so why bother.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I will literally lower my score for this series an entire letter grade if they ever explain the source of Saitama's powers.

Maybe this is just me but I feel like the joke is funnier with him just inexplicably being the strongest man in the universe and any explanation would just be some variant of "Because" anyway so why bother.

It wouldn't matter much either way as long as they don't make it a super important plot detail.

The question's hasn't been about how he got so strong since Asura Rhino, it's always been "just how loving strong is he", and that's the one that will make me consider the series done if ONE answers it fully.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think it's ever going to be explained because OPM isn't that kind of series. They've explicitly made a point of avoiding that anime bullshit before.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Honestly, I don't see OPM being a series that has a final ending. I see it just kind of stopping, eventually, with Saitama having a group of friends and a measure of respect. He's still the strongest ever, he still can't find a worthwhile fight, but he's happy and life goes on but the story doesn't.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Honestly, I don't see OPM being a series that has a final ending. I see it just kind of stopping, eventually, with Saitama having a group of friends and a measure of respect. He's still the strongest ever, he still can't find a worthwhile fight, but he's happy and life goes on but the story doesn't.

at most he'll destroy whatever is creating monsters

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like eating monsters is just dumb and simple enough to be a legit answer. Like he just mentions off-hand that with the little money he had he ended up having to eat the tastier-looking monsters he was killing, followed by an entire room of people utterly shocked, possibly vomiting, because nobody in their right mind had ever eaten monster before.

But yeah, it going unexplained would also be very good. If it ever is explained it needs to be a quick punchline like his punches.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
He got strong because be worked out everyday for 3 years. That is the answer and will forever be the answer. The joke is that there is literally no other reason for his strength.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Its not really a mystery why he became strong. This is a setting where you can turn into a car monster because you love tweaking cars, and where you can mutate into a crab monster because you ate too much crab.

Saitama became an unbeatable hero because he worked out every single day to the brink of collapsing, and every day he could keep going, his determination grew a little bit more. He became the strongest hero because his innermost wish was to become the strongest hero. The explanation is 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats and 10km running every day. The joke is that nobody would actually do this wholeheartedly thinking it would turn them into a strong hero, but Saitama believed it 100% and actually DID it and now he's God.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Its not really a mystery why he became strong. This is a setting where you can turn into a car monster because you love tweaking cars, and where you can mutate into a crab monster because you ate too much crab.

Saitama became an unbeatable hero because he worked out every single day to the brink of collapsing, and every day he could keep going, his determination grew a little bit more. He became the strongest hero because his innermost wish was to become the strongest hero. The explanation is 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats and 10km running every day. The joke is that nobody would actually do this wholeheartedly thinking it would turn them into a strong hero, but Saitama believed it 100% and actually DID it and now he's God.

Yeah, I feel like the story doesn't need to explain it because it already did. And it matters about as much as you'd expect, really.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, I feel like the story doesn't need to explain it because it already did. And it matters about as much as you'd expect, really.

Well, a part of the charm of OPM is that its pretty natural for a shonen-y Manga to explore this type of thing in a serious manner, so it opens it up for parody or moments of satire to feed the humor monster.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 9, 2015

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Please for the love of god just pretend that you have not read ONE's version when you post in this thread.

e: Thanks for the edit.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only acceptable explanation for Saitama's power is 100/100/100/10/Banana/No AC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

My ideal ending is Saitama becoming recognized for his insane strength and becoming S-Rank hero One Punch Man, then his hair grows back and he loses his strength, and he spends every day having thrilling fights that push him to his limits.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rogaine is Saitama's kryptonite.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think this is the best outcome and Saitama's kind of on his way there. His detachment from humanity when we first me him added a lot to his character and he's kind of gradually getting it back with his interactions with people like Genos and Licenceless Rider.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The only acceptable explanation for Saitama's power is 100/100/100/10/Banana/No AC.

Just you wait for the huge twist later that reveals Saitama's training also included a balanced diet and 8 glasses of water a day.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Also no heater in the winter. The banana was only like if you didn't have time/money to make a real breakfast but that was probably most days for Saitama.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Is the new chapter up tomorrow, or Wednesday? Gotta plan my week yo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Is the new chapter up tomorrow, or Wednesday? Gotta plan my week yo.

OPM chapters happen when they happen, for both ONE and Murata. You can't plan for them and estimated dates that Murata puts in his chapters are simply that, estimates.

Unless you're talking about the Viz publication of individual chapters. If so, I have no idea if they even do that never mind the schedule.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Viz does a few chapters of OPM in Weekly Jump whenever. It's kinda annoying.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm sad since the next paper version isn't until January.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder what the train of thought behind have long delays between print volumes is?

Naturally, in an ongoing manga like OPM, there's an issue of future volumes not existing yet so getting them out once a month isn't realistic but if you consider something like the prints of JoJo parts 1 and 2, they're a finished manga often translated and published digitally three or four months in advance of the physical book and each of those books are three or four months between each other.

I mean, I'm sure there's some legit market research into it on their parts but I'm curious as to why it may be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I wonder what the train of thought behind have long delays between print volumes is?

Naturally, in an ongoing manga like OPM, there's an issue of future volumes not existing yet so getting them out once a month isn't realistic but if you consider something like the prints of JoJo parts 1 and 2, they're a finished manga often translated and published digitally three or four months in advance of the physical book and each of those books are three or four months between each other.

I mean, I'm sure there's some legit market research into it on their parts but I'm curious as to why it may be.

If I am a casual fan of *series* I will probably buy a volume or two of manga if I happen to see it in a bookcase at B&N , and from there inertia might keep me buying it every few months, but I might think twice about buying even one if I see all 57 volumes of it on the shelf at once.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I do think Saitama actually did cross the line into monster territory though. Remember that there's a common thread among the "super serious about something"-type monsters. They all became strong and their appearances changed.

Just my two cents on the matter.

i don't think he's a monster. most monsters seem to be innately homicidal.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jintor posted:

He pretty regularly murder-punches monsters, without a second thought. Many of which used to be human.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jintor posted:

Is it innate or were those guys just dicks

makes u think

Jintor
May 19, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

He pretty regularly murder-punches monsters, without a second thought. Many of which used to be human.

killing monsters is a-okay though cos they're not human

checkmate

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
People are getting too wrapped up in arbitrary distinctions. The only difference between a hero and a villain is in their conduct. Saitama is a hero because he chooses to act heroically, protecting the weak and doing good deeds. If he was using his strength to murder children or whatever then he would no longer be very heroic.

The same is true for all of the other Heroes and Monsters.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I think the only real difference is heroes call themselves heroes and monsters don't.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Whoops, wrong thread. Too many One-punch threads.

jwang fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 10, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jintor posted:

I dunno, there are some pretty chill monsters now and then. The couple of dudes who were staked outside of his house when he fought beast king+ground dragon and got randomly killed by beast king, for example.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't forget the underground people who took one look at what Saitama did to their king, then promptly disappeared and were thoughtful enough to put up a flag apologizing for disturbing him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Always a good read, the roller coaster ride that led to Murata and ONE teaming up.

Akiman is the artist who designed almost all of Capcom's most iconic Street Fighter designs, if you're not sure who he is.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Always a good read, the roller coaster ride that led to Murata and ONE teaming up.

Akiman is the artist who designed almost all of Capcom's most iconic Street Fighter designs, if you're not sure who he is.

So, is Murata drawing OPM like a madman because he thinks he might die soon? That's kind of messed up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Christ, that sounds like the plot of a soap opera. All that is missing is that either of them has a long lost sibling with a grudge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And More posted:

So, is Murata drawing OPM like a madman because he thinks he might die soon? That's kind of messed up.

I'm pretty sure that whatever was wrong with him is okay now. It broke his limiter and gave him his Saitama level art skills.

I also like how they left Shueisha but ended up at Shueisha again anyway.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I always knew it was Murata who went to ONE with the idea to redraw his comic but I never imagined it played out like this.

Murata's a stand-up guy (if true).

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm pretty sure that whatever was wrong with him is okay now. It broke his limiter and gave him his Saitama level art skills.

Is Murata bald? If not, your theory is incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not all super powers have the same side-effects.

I think the text for his artist portrait section on Vol.10 says that he's no longer dying his hair and accepting he's going grey. At least, the /a/ thread during the stream said that was written down.