Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Say what you will about the ending to ME3, it at least set out to change things permanently without pretending nobody got hurt and your Shepard lived and could go back to banging Tali for all eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I agree.

I will, also, tentatively disagree with most people and say that if for nothing other than functionality, they will address the state of the galaxy after Mass Effect 3 in some way in this game or alongside it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Say what you will about the ending to ME3, it at least set out to change things permanently without pretending nobody got hurt and your Shepard lived and could go back to banging Tali for all eternity.

Agreed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given that apparently it will exploring entirely different planets or something I'm going to say that ME4 will be closer to Dragon Age Inquisition with guns than anything more traditionally shooty. Several big areas that give off the appearance of depth but as you explore you realize that all there is to do is run from one uninteresting lore text to another, with a bit of fighting in between, punctuated by decent story dungeons.

And there will probably be Space Dragons or something.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Kibayasu posted:

Given that apparently it will exploring entirely different planets or something I'm going to say that ME4 will be closer to Dragon Age Inquisition with guns than anything more traditionally shooty. Several big areas that give off the appearance of depth but as you explore you realize that all there is to do is run from one uninteresting lore text to another, with a bit of fighting in between, punctuated by decent story dungeons.

And there will probably be Space Dragons or something.

This is every rpg in existence, so yes, a good guess to make.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A new galaxy is fine by me, seems weird to poo poo on the game when we know so little about it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm totally cool with having it both ways, Bioware, now just make it fun.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Civilization rebuilding a changed galaxy without any imminent threat could have been an interesting setting all on its own, but Bioware has apparently lost all confidence in its writing that isn't groveling fan service.

When has Bioware ever done anything other than "Oh no, a Big Bad threatens everything ever, and only you are special enough to save it"? Well, Baldur's Gate would qualify, since the PC was in it more for personal reasons, and the consequences of failure would have been large-scale but not necessarily world-ending. They've been obsessed with increasing grandiosity ever since then, though. I don't know whether it's just the only plot they know how to do, whether it's the only thing they think their fans are interested in, or whether it's the only theme the writers themselves care about.

What I'm trying to say here is that I completely agree on both points, but I never seriously entertained the possibility of them doing anything creative for their over-arching story and would be surprised if they ever did. Even if Bioware were interested, I don't think it would be very well-received; just look at how badly some fans panned ME2 for 'going nowhere' because it diverged into interesting character interaction and world-building subplots instead of continuing to hammer on some mediocre ripoff of B5's Shadow plot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A creative thing they could have done with their franchise would be to actually end it.

Not really kidding there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Never gonna happen. Bioware knows who their core constituents are, and it's mentally insane people who want video game harems and nonstop references to other things they've played.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Never gonna happen. Bioware knows who their core constituents are, and it's mentally insane people who want video game harems and nonstop references to other things they've played.

The good news is that despite my self-hatred, I also like these things as guilty pleasures, so I will definitely be loving my gay turian BF.

But it won't be very good art.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You are an artist on the battlefield, Shepard.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I didn't read anything about Andromeda still, but yes, going both ways seems pretty fucktarded. I thought the game would be a while after the initial exploration phase and you are still part of a pioneer culture exploring stuff and getting to know where the hell exactly you are.

But of course I should expect endless funnies about turians calibrating their guns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What do people mean by "going both ways"?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Alain Post posted:

The good news is that despite my self-hatred, I also like these things as guilty pleasures, so I will definitely be loving my gay turian BF.

:3: I like the cut of your jib.

.... your space jib.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Kurtofan posted:

I think it's like Bioware are having their cake and eating it too, so like "it's a clean break in a new universe!" but also "voiceover from Sheps! all the old races are there!". As long as they don't just rehash stuff like 'the krogan sure are getting violent' and 'the quarians have made new ai, hope nothing goes wrong' it'll be fine though.

I think the best scenario for starting would be that the player was a child or maybe conceived on the deep space flight to Andromeda, then let them be ~25 at the start of the adventure. Enough time for a few settlements to spring up and the start of distinct cultures to grow among different groups of pioneers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It seems like they put a contingent from all the races on the ship to send away to another galaxy, so I don't get why people are complaining about it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Codependent Poster posted:

It seems like they put a contingent from all the races on the ship to send away to another galaxy, so I don't get why people are complaining about it.

It's not a documentary.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Again, I have to state this is really early in the game's development, and we know next to nothing. But judging solely by what we do know right now, by "going both ways" I mean that Andromeda seems like it wants to be the fresh start of a new RPG franchise, all the while being a continuation of an existing one. It's taking many assets that originated in the Milky Way games, and transplanting them in a setting that makes these new characters and stories never actually able to affect or be affected by the series they are ostensibly connected to.

It's entirely possible though that Andromeda will be somehow connected to the first three games' ramifications. It just doesn't seem to be the case right now.

exquisite tea posted:

The whole move just strikes me as cowardly, like they have no idea where to go with the franchise and so will effectively reboot the basic plot beats of the original in a new galaxy with endless callbacks to how Krogan like to fight and Asari loooove to screw. Civilization rebuilding a changed galaxy without any imminent threat could have been an interesting setting all on its own, but Bioware has apparently lost all confidence in its writing that isn't groveling fan service. No sense of ambition whatsoever and every preview so far has come off like a bad Halo clone. That said, will buy if they bring back the multiplayer.

I think Bioware's writing of Thedas as a setting remains confident and strong. Every new part of the Dragon Age series has elaborated in sensible ways on the big questions of the series, and each part has lead rather naturally into the next (which is impressive considering the games don't share protagonists). The Mass Effect franchise's direction does seem more aimless though, and that's ironic because your idea of civilization rebuilding in the wake of the massive Reaper conflict seems to be staring them in the face as a very fertile setting for new stories. You could even incorporate the blue and red endings of ME3. The green ending, not so much, but just make that non-canon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, but it did so by completely ignoring all the ramifications of a war that killed billions in favor of a literal dues ex machina spewing ridiculous nonsense that the entire war was built on its flimsy premise and that your magical device without a defined function will solve all the problems in one of three wildly different effects at once.

They don't get points for that just because they demanded that Shepard "sacrifice" themselves during it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
watched that teaser, I liked the part where femshep spoke words

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I need the love interests. DAI had really bad ones so I'm interested in seeing if Bioware can get back on track. I need my robot bf

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I want nothing but bromance options

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Geostomp posted:

Yes, but it did so by completely ignoring all the ramifications of a war that killed billions in favor of a literal dues ex machina spewing ridiculous nonsense that the entire war was built on its flimsy premise and that your magical device without a defined function will solve all the problems in one of three wildly different effects at once.

They don't get points for that just because they demanded that Shepard "sacrifice" themselves during it.

Incorrect

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nichael posted:

Again, I have to state this is really early in the game's development, and we know next to nothing. But judging solely by what we do know right now, by "going both ways" I mean that Andromeda seems like it wants to be the fresh start of a new RPG franchise, all the while being a continuation of an existing one. It's taking many assets that originated in the Milky Way games, and transplanting them in a setting that makes these new characters and stories never actually able to affect or be affected by the series they are ostensibly connected to.

It's entirely possible though that Andromeda will be somehow connected to the first three games' ramifications. It just doesn't seem to be the case right now.

I admit that I don't really understand the complaint. In my mind, Bioware ultimately hosed up the endings of ME3 in such a way that only drastic measures could salvage them. Making one ending the canon ending and discarding the other would be one possibility, and Destroy seems like the only ending that would work without giving them trouble down the road. That would of course piss of a lot of fans.

The way it they seem to have chosen for Andromeda, kind of restarting the setting in another galaxy, is also a viable way of salvaging the endings. So it doesn't matter what color Shepard walked into, the Reaper threat is gone. You still have the setting with the different races, the technology, the psychics, etc. And you can also explore new places, meet new races and new threats/problems to be solved.

It's like the Icewind Dale games that were set in the same world as the Baldur's Gate games, yet they didn't affect each other. I can accept that method to solve the ME3 problem, as long as they learn from their mistakes in storytelling.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The thing is, they could salvage "red as true ending" pretty quickly if they just made it not kill off the Geth/Edi/Quarians(maybe). "Of course the catalyst was lying to you, what did you loving think it was doing?"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
There is a bit of a setup for the idea of sending a colonization effort to another galaxy -- after Thessia, you talk to the Asari councilor, and she's quite upset. Right before the conversation ends, she mentions making "continuity of civilization" plans.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It's really early for people to be bagging on a game even for the gooniest of goons. There has been very little released about the game to base any type of judgement on. And who cares if it's a new galaxy and a new time that gets away from the baggage of the Reaper War? That plot changed with each game as the head writer got different ideas in his head. The Andromeda team probably wants to get clear of that but knows the value of having some familiarity to call back on. After all Mass Effect has some pretty memorable races and settings that worked.

Someone also was complaining about Bioware always having the protagonist as some sort of special hero. :lol: If you want to be some mundane nobody in your video game time move to Germany and play Fork Lift Simulator until your heart's content. Most people who play action games don't mind being a big guddam hero.

Kurieg posted:

The thing is, they could salvage "red as true ending" pretty quickly if they just made it not kill off the Geth/Edi/Quarians(maybe). "Of course the catalyst was lying to you, what did you loving think it was doing?"

What's his face, the lead writer, obviously fell in love with the singularity will save us yet all synthetics are evil idea so he had to make killing off the reapers come with some terrible price. So of course the Star Child was lying. Still a ending that consisted of Shepard and Anderson watching the reapers blow up and then fading to some nice after war sequence would have been a fine ending. Anything past that went straight into bullshit land as it was written.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Trast posted:

What's his face, the lead writer, obviously fell in love with the singularity will save us yet all synthetics are evil idea so he had to make killing off the reapers come with some terrible price. So of course the Star Child was lying. Still a ending that consisted of Shepard and Anderson watching the reapers blow up and then fading to some nice after war sequence would have been a fine ending. Anything past that went straight into bullshit land as it was written.

The worst part about the star child, for me at least, was that apparently in every single cycle before this one, they had never encountered cyborgs. They figured out how to liquify people and turn them into sentient metal. But giving someone a robot arm is apparently enough of a paradigm shift to shock him into realizing synthesis is a solution to their problem that doesn't actually exist.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurieg posted:

That detail about killing the Geth and EDI was added solely because nobody would ever consider the other options otherwise. Flat out admitting this by showing that it was just a lie would make the writers look even dumber than they did before.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Geostomp posted:

That detail about killing the Geth and EDI was added solely because nobody would ever consider the other options otherwise. Flat out admitting this by showing that it was just a lie would make the writers look even dumber than they did before.

imagine Javik making it up the beam instead of Shepard

how long would he take to empty his gun into the tube? immediately after meeting the starchild? Five seconds after?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

He'd probably try to empty a clip into the starchild first and automatically trigger the bad end.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurieg posted:

They could retcon the ending ME3, but that's not necessarily better than starting over with Andromeda.

And they would still have to kill all Geth and Quarians because one of them could be extinct after ME3, and the Krogan have similar issues.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want the plot to be escaping andromeda to go back to milky way to gently caress up some reapers.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Alain Post posted:

A creative thing they could have done with their franchise would be to actually end it.

Not really kidding there.

exquisite tea posted:

I disagree, if it were entirely up to Bioware I think ME3 would have been it. They would have found new ways to monetize the IP sure, but as a big budget franchise? Nah, not for a while anway. The part of the Edmonton studio that worked on Mass Effect has moved onto a new IP (except Mac who transfered to Montreal), seems more like a choice made by EA to me.

Trast posted:

Someone also was complaining about Bioware always having the protagonist as some sort of special hero. :lol:

I don't think the protagonist being special is a problem, but I don't think it's unfair to say the problems they face don't always have to have the balance of the world/galaxy at stake. You don't always have to be the Avengers, sometimes it's okay to be something smaller and still tell a fun story.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 11, 2015

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Alain Post posted:

But it won't be very good art.

just give me my gay geth fuckbot already bioware you mediocre piece of poo poo

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 11, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Geyth

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ro-bot boy-friend *clap, clap, clapclapclap*

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

You don't always have to be the Avengers, sometimes it's okay to be something smaller and still tell a fun story.

Nu-Shep: "Thanks for helping me out with those mechs, Krogan guy."
Nu-Wrex: "Ha-HA. No problem, I was just putting up dry wall next door." [Holds up Graal Spike Thrower.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

I don't think the protagonist being special is a problem, but I don't think it's unfair to say the problems they face don't always have to have the balance of the world/galaxy at stake. You don't always have to be the Avengers, sometimes it's okay to be something smaller and still tell a fun story.

So like, Dragon Age 2?

• Locked thread