Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Invalid Validation posted:

I totally called the departures being wished away, I hope that's the reason. They could go deep places with that.

I'm not sure about that, but I doubt Nora is a "lense". Why would there be years with nothing happening and then this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We don't know if more have departed, just nothing big.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not sure about that, but I doubt Nora is a "lense". Why would there be years with nothing happening and then this?

It's the usual grasping at straws. Some idiot pointed an instrument at her that shows she's inhabited by the demon Azrael, some other idiots paid 3mil for her house because it had special properties. *insert Jeff Goldblum Chaos Theory meme*
If anything, within the mythology of the show it could be Kevin who brought a supernatural thing to Miracle with him: he's the one with a ghost, blackout alternate personality and who woke up at the lake where the girls were last seen.

edited to add: We don't know that the girl didn't leave with her friends. She was in a toxic family situation and a wierdass town and none of the parents knew that their kids liked running naked through the woods so how do they know they didn't use the departure as a way to run away and to shake their town out of it's "we are sacred" mindset. The water being gone points at something supernatural but it could just have been the earthquake: the lake swallowed the girls and water through a crack which reclosed. Everyone is thinking they could have departed because this a post departure world... and how could a whole town be spared? I like that they've left all three options open.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 10, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

this show needs more love

i just watched Sunday's ep and can't even believe how it's getting better each time

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watched the latest two episodes in a row, what a goddamn emotional rollercoaster that was. I think I can subscribe to the idea that this is the best show currently on TV, I certainly can't think of anything that's hit me harder in so many different ways this year. The leap in quality from the first season is immense.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
The last 10 minutes with Regina King and Carrie Coon was incredible acting. So sad that more people don't watch this show.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Hakkesshu posted:

Watched the latest two episodes in a row, what a goddamn emotional rollercoaster that was. I think I can subscribe to the idea that this is the best show currently on TV, I certainly can't think of anything that's hit me harder in so many different ways this year. The leap in quality from the first season is immense.

Which is great as last season wasn't bad either. I eagerly wait for this show every week, and it has not disappointed.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

joepinetree posted:

Nora didn't accept the departure at all. She has been terrified of it and feels guilty that she might have caused it by wishing them away, which is the entire reason she spends 3 million dollars to live in Jarden. Then not only does her next door neighbor disappear, but you have people, both credible (DSD) and not so credible (demon Azrael) saying that disappearances may actually be tied to certain individuals. That is why it is so important to her to prove that her neighbor didn't actually disappear. And in the process she realizes that Erika has internalized the guilt as well, that it might have been her wish. The result is Nora's speech, and Erika seeing through it. And the anger, both ways, is because it essentially confirms their worst fear, in their minds: that they caused the departures through their wishes.

Great summation. It seemed that she was catching some of the new questions as she was asking them and she was answering them for herself.

popejackson posted:

The last 10 minutes with Regina King and Carrie Coon was incredible acting. So sad that more people don't watch this show.

Even if they just filmed that scene from the side while they talked it would have been good, but the framing of their faces while they talked, the close ups, really captured the emotion of the scene. Loved it.

Also, the look Erika gave after throwing the rock was priceless, in my head it was "here's your loving rock back".

Edit: The Paypal thing when they were asking for donations was funny as well. Nora had to setup a Paypal account when she went to see Holy Wayne. Putting it in context of the whole show it was a painful reminder to Nora that it didn't work. That Holy Wayne's hugs may have helped temporarily but she is still in a lot of pain.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 11, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Why did Nora throw the rock to begin with? Was it out of anger over how John treated Matt?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why did Nora throw the rock to begin with? Was it out of anger over how John treated Matt?

I think this poster nailed it:

Toxxupation posted:

No, she was angry with the concept that her "safe place" (the idea that there's a place in the world that wasn't and can't be "touched" by the Departure and tragedy in general) was anything but

She doesn't care about John, not really. It's why she so aggressively confronted Erika at the end of the episode, it's why she was so nervous and angry with the scientist on her doorstep, it's why she had that whole subplot with the DSD guy. The idea the episode was underlining - and fairly obviously so - is that Nora and Erika are two sides of the same coin, dealing with the tragedy of loss and departures in vastly different ways. Nora's accepted the departure of her family with a sort of cynical fatalism - poo poo jsut happens, and she's not responsible for any of it, after torturing herself for a season trying to grasp the enormity of losing her family on October 14 - combined with a carefully constructed optimistic delusion that Miracle is exactly what it promises to be, a safe haven from misery. The disappearance of the three girls is a visible reminder that her delusion is a lie, so she reacts angrily, violently to it - throwing rocks through windows, stealing questionnaires, that whole showdown with Erika.

In contrast Erika's internalized the concept that her daughter has disappeared with a sort of hyper-realism - as her speech during the rally and showdown with Nora exemplified. She's willing to accept the reality that there's unexplained nonsense and that there's no rules when it comes to matters of faith and god, and more than anything that "There are no miracles in Miracle." Nora has been able to move past her own sense of loss by constructing a careful narrative that absolves her of any blame or responsibility, since the event lacks any real answers. In contrast Erika has moved in a more solipsistic, "The only truth is that there are no truths" manner, and that creates natural tension.

Matt's adventures last episode have little to nothing to do with why Nora and Erika are at a crossroads - it's a more philosophical, vaguer, and unclear version of Jack versus Locke.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just found this thread. I love the show although I'm always nervous it'll go off the rails because Lindelof, but just letting myself enjoy it for now.

Regina King's performance in that last 10 minutes (and to a lesser, but not to go unmentioned, extent Coons acting) was just mesmerizing. Goddamn. That was some Emmy worth poo poo.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I can sort of understand why some people don't like Lost, but goddamn, I think people actually enjoy hating Damon Lindelof. He's like the HHH of Hollywood around here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I can sort of understand why some people don't like Lost, but goddamn, I think people actually enjoy hating Damon Lindelof. He's like the HHH of Hollywood around here.

Well I mean there's Lost (which I liked the most out of his stuff), then what he did to World War Z and of course Prometheus. Like, I felt like the annoying "all up in your face" scientist was total Lindelof. A point needed to be made so we got a stupid character acting so brazenly stupid that it's just eye rollingly bad just to move that part of the story along. I have other issues with the characters writing as well - more about how they stop mid-conversation when another character has dropped some drama bomb instead of just asking one more question since, you know, we're dealing with a giant supernatural event JUST so those character developments can be delayed over a series of episodes.

He's a great idea man who is REALLY REALLY BAD at developing characters and dialogue.

But those are pretty minor to me for now... I absolutely love the show and this season is miles above last season.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

It might be hard to catch, but that "Peace right hear on Earth" song that plays over the end credits in the fifth episode this season is playing diegetically in the background at one point in the sixth episode. It's in the pie confrontation scene.

Also, I think that song may be original to The Leftovers. I failed to find anything on it existing elsewhere.

Bananaquiter posted:

Also, is Garvey dog ever going to come back?

I've been thinking of Garvey dog some. Specifically, wondering what he or she is named or will be named. I have a long-shot, shot-in-the-dark theory about the dog: that dog prevents and repels the presence of the Patti entity, but of course only when the dog is around Kevin.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if you blame a screenwriter for the quality of a movie you know little to nothing about movie production

blame lindelof all day for LOST if you want but he's almost completely blameless for the quality or lack thereof of WWZ/Prometheus, especially when the latter is directed by Ridley fuckin' Scott, one of the biggest auteurs in the business

Of course i say this as someone who likes Prometheus, so, yeah

hope this helps

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

BonoMan posted:

He's a great idea man who is REALLY REALLY BAD at developing characters and dialogue.

But those are pretty minor to me for now... I absolutely love the show and this season is miles above last season.

...what?

Character development, dialogue and mystery-based world-building are Lindelof's biggest strengths. How can you say you like Lost AND the Leftovers and then bash his ability to develop characters? Both of those shows have some of the best long-term character development in modern television. They're also almost entirely driven by characters and their dynamic motivations (at least to a greater degree than most other shows).

Which makes me want to ask: If you think Lindelof's characters and dialogue are bad, why the gently caress do you even watch Lost or the Leftovers? What do you actually like about the show if you think his character development and dialogue is poo poo?

It's funny how bashing Lindelof has become this sort of default argument that people use to sound like they "think seriously" about television and movies. At this point it's a garbage cliche that makes you look so, so dumb.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Clap posted:

...what?

Character development, dialogue and mystery-based world-building are Lindelof's biggest strengths. How can you say you like Lost AND the Leftovers and then bash his ability to develop characters? Both of those shows have some of the best long-term character development in modern television. They're also almost entirely driven by characters and their dynamic motivations (at least to a greater degree than most other shows).

Which makes me want to ask: If you think Lindelof's characters and dialogue are bad, why the gently caress do you even watch Lost or the Leftovers? What do you actually like about the show if you think his character development and dialogue is poo poo?

It's funny how bashing Lindelof has become this sort of default argument that people use to sound like they "think seriously" about television and movies. At this point it's a garbage cliche that makes you look so, so dumb.

I actually had a response formulated, but then I got to your last line which is so loving short sighted, needlessly inflammatory, dramatic and just an all around ignorant blanket statement that it's not even worth my time. Keep that poo poo in Cine D please.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Toxxupation posted:

if you blame a screenwriter for the quality of a movie you know little to nothing about movie production

blame lindelof all day for LOST if you want but he's almost completely blameless for the quality or lack thereof of WWZ/Prometheus, especially when the latter is directed by Ridley fuckin' Scott, one of the biggest auteurs in the business

Of course i say this as someone who likes Prometheus, so, yeah

hope this helps

That first statement is just... dumb? I'm not blaming him for the gaffing, or cinematography or direct acting... but for what I feel are terrible discrete character actions while achieving overall cool big ideas (which is why I like The Leftovers and Lost still. I love the big ideas, but get bogged down with some of the smaller character actions that just seem ... hastily written to move the plots along). I've been involved in enough movies to see first hand how a hamfisted screenwriter can directly impact a movie.

A screenwriter has a massive impact on the quality of storytelling within a movie. To say otherwise is just being willfully obtuse.

He was extensively responsible for the rewrites of WWZ which I felt were lesser than the original story and Prometheus has some of the dumbest handwaving on the planet regardless of Scott directing. I love Ridley Scott, but him directing something doesn't mean some of the dumber character motivations get some magical free pass.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 15, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The Leftovers Season 2 - Good Poster Population: 0 :v:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Goddamnit I got sucked into a Lindelof argument. My bad. I don't like him - some people do - movin' on.

Excited for tonight's episode. Also randomly thankful for no midseason breaks. The worst trend in TV shows lately.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rad Lieutenant posted:

now u see

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, shittagoddamn, what the fuuuuuuuck. :stare:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

poo poo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nobody's dead until they're dead, and sometimes not even then.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I don't even... what the gently caress

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I hope someone clicks on the thread before watching the episode.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

Just bury him in the woods he'll be fine in a couple days

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The kid knows something and this is part of the plan. Kevin is going to be a loving lunatic after this. please don't be dead

That was another incredible episode. These shits keep getting better.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:stare:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
What in the gently caress?! He can't be dead.....can he? :(

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I spent the last 30 minutes yelling at the TV, telling Kevin that whatever he was planning on doing don't loving, do it he's being an idiot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lycus posted:

I hope someone clicks on the thread before watching the episode.

It's me. I'm the guy who did this...

nopants
May 29, 2004
What the loving gently caress just happened

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Amazing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This fuckin' show.

This fuckin' show.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
jfc

bit of a slow burn but still the best thing on 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

jfc

bit of a slow burn but still the best thing on 2015

Only 3 episodes left this season; business is about to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, I liked season 1 but seriously, how did this show get so good?

It's like Lindelof somehow used vampiric powers to drain True Detective season 2 of its life force and use its vigor to make this show as good as it is now.

• Locked thread