Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

Same with the meal ideas. Thanks. We're trying to come up with a plan here. Shopping at the cheaper store is... a lot cheaper. I'm trying to figure out this whole planning thing, and not just for meals.

Advice needed:
I got an offer for the Oculus @ $500, but I included free expedited shipping. I'm thinking that's going to cost at least $50-$60. It's listed at $595. Should I pull the trigger? After Paypal and eBay fees I'm thinking it's not really worth it.

Have you considered counter-offering for $500 but without the free expedited shipping? Would that work out for you?

Also no offense but it took you how long to figure out about shopping at cheaper grocery stores? loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

Have you considered counter-offering for $500 but without the free expedited shipping? Would that work out for you?

Also no offense but it took you how long to figure out about shopping at cheaper grocery stores? loving lol.

I just counter-offered that. I didn't realize I could modify any terms beyond the price. I went to free "standard shipping" @ $500 in the counter offer.

Thanks I'll update later.

The store is cheaper yes, but I didn't realize how much cheaper. It is a cluster gently caress of people, but I think it's worth it now. Meat started to go bad kinda quickly, but other than that it's great.

I was in the process of replying to another post or two, but it's lunch time.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Offer accepted and sold. Gracias everyone involved.

Got another update after lunch and some qs re the emergency fund.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Therapy:
Can't find a financial therapist. It's either a new discipline or a very very small niche. There's not even someone in Vegas.
I didn't chime in before, but I don't think that's really a thing. One of your issues seems to be general impulse control anyway; not necessarily restricted to financial decisions.

Just put lots of calls out there to therapists (presumably your medical insurance has a database you can search), see who calls back and is accepting new patients, explain what you're hoping to get out of it, and eventually you'll find someone that works for you. In general, though, finding a therapist that you gel with can be a long process.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 10, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What you are looking for is behaviour modification. SWSP has pointed out that it's you impulse control. Given that your tangible goals are financial it should give a therapist something to work with.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't chime in before, but I don't think that's really a thing. One of your issues seems to be general impulse control anyway; not necessarily restricted to financial decisions.

Just put lots of calls out there to therapists (presumably your medical insurance has a database you can search), see who calls back, explain what you're hoping to get out of it, and eventually you'll find someone that works for you. In general, though, finding a therapist that you gel with can be a long process.

Hm. Alright. We don't have our insurance cards yet as far as I know (could be in the mail), but I'll see what's going on with that from my wife. I believe we are insured however. I can't really check out the database until I have that stuff.

I've been reading a lot lately, and I was thinking of picking one of these up: http://www.amazon.com/Marshmallow-Test-Self-Control-Engine-Success/dp/0316230863/ or http://www.amazon.com/Willpower-Instinct-Self-Control-Works-Matters/dp/1583335080/

Devian666 posted:

What you are looking for is behaviour modification. SWSP has pointed out that it's you impulse control. Given that your tangible goals are financial it should give a therapist something to work with.

Right. I did try CBT before, and it made me happier, but he or I didn't really know what to say about the finances I think.

Maybe I don't know if I know how to approach therapy, though. Do I just go in and say "hey here's me yada yada"? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do or ask. Before I knew what I had to do, which was deal with a few deaths in the family and learn how to cope with my crazy mom (who is finally doing good again), but I don't really know how to approach a financial problem. I believe when speaking to my previous therapist that he didn't think I had too many problems financially, and maybe that's because I was approaching the situation incorrectly. I tried to make impulsive behavior and finances a very dominant part of our sessions. I'm willing to try out some more people though.

Updates:
Got another credit card. Kohls, $300 limit under my wife's name. We bought some clothes this weekend and I wanted the 25% off. Both the clothes shopping and the credit card were planned.

That's the last credit until we can move to a good cash back rewards card for daily use. I'm guessing that will be a few years as we continue to rebuild our credit.

I've paid off all but the Kohls (I need to get with my wife so I can setup the online stuff). None of the cards have annual fees. All purchases were reconciled against the budget already.

I've been holding off putting extra money towards the car. I tried to set it up so I could do it through bill pay (just manage the extra payments online), but it's being a pain in the rear end and keeps changing my mailed check option to an electronic transfer. Unfortunately principal payments require me to go through a bunch of hoops.

Question:
We now have $1,600 available to us in credit should an emergency come up. This has been mentioned before way earlier in the thread: using credit cards as a last resort emergency fund. The current outlook is $3,200 in the emergency fund right now, which is deceptively low. We have about $3,500 for the following month's expenses saved as well. Assuming that's a valid envelope to count then we have $6700 liquid, plus $400 in our car and vet fund, plus just about $450 for an extra car payment that's saved, and finally $1,600 in credit. That's $9,150. Should be enough to stop contributing at the moment yeah? Or should we just keep going as we're going?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just put lots of calls out there to therapists (presumably your medical insurance has a database you can search), see who calls back and is accepting new patients, explain what you're hoping to get out of it, and eventually you'll find someone that works for you. In general, though, finding a therapist that you gel with can be a long process.

I think it does exist, but it's definitely pretty new:
http://www.financialtherapyassociation.org/search-by-state

I would agree that lots of 'regular' therapists will be able to assist. I think that KG should consider seeing someone that is more on the 'life coaching' side of therapy instead of the talk it out side of things. In addition, I believe there are some addiction issues that need to be worked on as well.

Edit:
Question:
We now have $1,600 available to us in credit should an emergency come up. This has been mentioned before way earlier in the thread: using credit cards as a last resort emergency fund. The current outlook is $3,200 in the emergency fund right now, which is deceptively low. We have about $3,500 for the following month's expenses saved as well. Assuming that's a valid envelope to count then we have $6700 liquid, plus $400 in our car and vet fund, plus just about $450 for an extra car payment that's saved, and finally $1,600 in credit. That's $9,150. Should be enough to stop contributing at the moment yeah? Or should we just keep going as we're going?

If no money came in for the next 6 months, could you cover your living expenses without adding to debt?

n8r fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I think it does exist, but it's definitely pretty new:
http://www.financialtherapyassociation.org/search-by-state

I would agree that lots of 'regular' therapists will be able to assist. I think that KG should consider seeing someone that is more on the 'life coaching' side of therapy instead of the talk it out side of things. In addition, I believe there are some addiction issues that need to be worked on as well.

Edit:
Question:

If no money came in for the next 6 months, could you cover your living expenses without adding to debt?

Bolded: Unsure. I'll do some math.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The answer is no. Not really close either. I don't know what you could bare bones it to though but you say $3500 and have about $7000 available, 2 months I guess. The odds of both of you losing your job is probably pretty low though so you probably will be able to keep some income going at all times.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

Right. I did try CBT before, and it made me happier, but he or I didn't really know what to say about the finances I think.

Maybe I don't know if I know how to approach therapy, though. Do I just go in and say "hey here's me yada yada"? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do or ask. Before I knew what I had to do, which was deal with a few deaths in the family and learn how to cope with my crazy mom (who is finally doing good again), but I don't really know how to approach a financial problem. I believe when speaking to my previous therapist that he didn't think I had too many problems financially, and maybe that's because I was approaching the situation incorrectly. I tried to make impulsive behavior and finances a very dominant part of our sessions. I'm willing to try out some more people though.

Your therapists opinion on your finances is unlikely to survive n8r's emergency fund question.

You may have to take in some financial goals. 6 months emergency fund, save 10% of your gross income to invest. The emergency fund is a safety net and the saving rate links in with trying to control your spending. I am only giving you examples but setting a bigger goal and then using a therapist or life coach to achieve the small goals (controling impulse spending for example) to make this happen. Again I don't want you to get overloaded or stressed out and maybe you just need to set one important goal to start out.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Pick them both up from the library.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Stop spending so much drat money.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
*buys book to find out that the advice it contains is not to buy the book*

You need a no cost hobby so that you have something other to do than shopping.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
He has a drum set he can play for free. Unfortunately, his real hobby is spending money.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

n8r posted:

Also, put the money you get from selling the Oculus into your savings.

Edit: Also want to jump in on the bandwagon that's pointing out that you appear to be struggling with impulse control and that's what you should be looking to work on.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 11, 2015

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

When I start to have impulse control issues I just bite down on my leather strap.

Content: instead of buying those books you should go get them from the library. Another trick I do is put stuff on a wish list for thirty days before I buy it from Amazon. I usually don't feel that I really need to buy it once they timeline hits. This can work on anything with a paper list. If it can't wait 30 days you probably didn't need it even if it was "limited time" or "short sale". This also gives you some time to budget for it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think there are spending addiction / alcohol addiction issues. This stuff only gets fixed in therapy. The emergency fund question just sounds like another attempt at justifying another poor spending decision.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I think it's hilarious that the Oculus was bought way outside of the budget, and now selling it is being considered a windfall.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaart.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Old Fart posted:

I think it's hilarious that the Oculus was bought way outside of the budget, and now selling it is being considered a windfall.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaart.

The old fashioned term is fiddling the books. That's all that's happening and why this thread needs to be closed.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I was all set to make a snarky reply, but for some reason I'm in a charitable mood: Knyteguy, your credit limit is not an 'emergency fund'. It's not uncommon for credit lines to be lowered or closed if your utilization and/or credit score drops. You also can't pay rent with a credit card, at least not without paying some hefty fees. For these reasons (among others) you can't count it. Being a month ahead is sort-of okay, but it's still not really emergency savings. Your emergency fund should be 6 months cash, or something else that's easily accessible.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Credit cards are perfectly fine as part of an emergency fund. Losing credit lines is rare and uncorrelated with most emergencies that would require an e-fund. Not being able to pay rent on it doesn't matter as rent isn't the only expense and money is fungible. Of course $9k isn't sufficient for KG no matter how it's denominated...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Not sure what you mean by 'perfectly fine', but a credit card is not the same as cash on hand, not even close.

Everytime KG gets much in the way of money on hand, bad financial decisions soon follow. Not sure what is up with the whole car principle payment thing, but at every reasonable chance, KG should be overpaying on the car to get it paid off. KG, are you sure you can't just send them a check for more than the amount and it won't automatically apply to the balance? Not sure how it would work any other way than that.

For now, the car can represent his emergency fund. If poo poo went south, he can sell the car, and access the additional money he's paid into it. Definitely not as ideal as having a real emergency fund, but better than buying Camaros, gaming PCs, and weight sets.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Holy poo poo, a credit card isn't an emergency fund, if it was I'd have a 2 year emergency fund from those and should invest this money I have in a worthless savings account.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Credit card emergency fund: Alright well it's been suggested in here before, but I thought it was worth a clarification.

n8r posted:

Everytime KG gets much in the way of money on hand, bad financial decisions soon follow. Not sure what is up with the whole car principle payment thing, but at every reasonable chance, KG should be overpaying on the car to get it paid off. KG, are you sure you can't just send them a check for more than the amount and it won't automatically apply to the balance? Not sure how it would work any other way than that.

For now, the car can represent his emergency fund. If poo poo went south, he can sell the car, and access the additional money he's paid into it. Definitely not as ideal as having a real emergency fund, but better than buying Camaros, gaming PCs, and weight sets.

Car principal: I can just send them a check, but it requires a bunch of double checking to make sure I hit their requirements. If I send them just a check with an account number, then it treats it like I've made regular monthly payments in advance. It all goes towards the interest balance rather than the principal.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the car being the entire emergency fund. That could be brutal.

I don't want to spend more money on things by not contributing to the emergency fund as much; I want to allocate more towards debt pay down.

n8r posted:

Thread summary.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Car principal: I can just send them a check, but it requires a bunch of double checking to make sure I hit their requirements. If I send them just a check with an account number, then it treats it like I've made regular monthly payments in advance. It all goes towards the interest balance rather than the principal.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the car being the entire emergency fund. That could be brutal.

I would not use the car as an emergency fund as well. I would encourage you to keep a limited amount of money on hand, and use principal payments on the car as a way to 'hide' money from yourself. The minute you start looking at your bank account and start thinking about other poo poo you can buy is the time to chop another chunk of money out of your account and putting it into the car.

How is the therapist search going? I think you should set a deadline of the end of the month to have an appointment made with *someone*.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
*I* would be comfortable with 1 month in an emergency fund plus 1 month ahead while you get out of 50k of debt. Maybe 2 months in efund, but that's about the limit. The biggest reason is because spare cash seems to convince you it's okay to spend more, which I understand. I've watched this with me in the past and many, many of my friends.

I would really suggest finding something to do with your time, and a good therapist. Both will provide huge QOL improvements and a high ROA.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 11, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

*I* would be comfortable with 1 month in an emergency fund plus 1 month ahead while you get out of 50k of debt. Maybe 2 months in efund, but that's about the limit. The biggest reason is because spare cash seems to convince you it's okay to spend more, which I understand. I've watched this with me in the past and many, many of my friends.

I would really suggest finding something to do with your time, and a good therapist. Both will provide huge QOL improvements and a high ROA.

I think that's good advice. I would add on that the 1 month emergency fund should be in a separate account that is not linked to the primary checking account, perhaps with no online access. Put up as many safeguards as possible as to not access easily when the next purchasing impulse comes up. The month ahead thing has been a really... flexible concept for KG, and he has shown a willingness to really game the numbers based upon what his purchasing whims for the month are. There are all sorts of tricks that we've suggested in the past to force KG to stay on budget, but I think the only thing that will really work is therapy.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Hey, KG, how goes the no smoking thing?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

n8r posted:

I think that's good advice. I would add on that the 1 month emergency fund should be in a separate account that is not linked to the primary checking account, perhaps with no online access. Put up as many safeguards as possible as to not access easily when the next purchasing impulse comes up. The month ahead thing has been a really... flexible concept for KG, and he has shown a willingness to really game the numbers based upon what his purchasing whims for the month are. There are all sorts of tricks that we've suggested in the past to force KG to stay on budget, but I think the only thing that will really work is therapy.
My savings went up drastically when I stopped using my CU for savings and started using ING Direct and then Ally! 3 days is plenty of lead time, especially when I'm a month ahead in my bill payment & checking accounts that I could use if needed, too.

Therapy is FTMFW. I really suggest it. For most anyone, but especially K&J.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

Hey, KG, how goes the no smoking thing?

Still smoking. I'm not sure if willpower is a finite resource or not, but I haven't had the energy to get going on this yet. I'm also quitting drinking right now, working on finances, starting a workout regime with my wife, and working on some marriage stuff. I'll probably give it a real go Saturday.

I'm confident I can get this all in time. In alcohol counseling about a decade ago I learned to slay "one dragon at a time" when working with substances, so I'm taking out the most destructive first. I don't drink a lot of alcohol in terms of volume, but it does have a negative effect on my life. More so than smoking.

I like to spend money while drinking too, so yeah. It's hindering my goals if nothing else, so I don't really care about having a beer if that's the case. Plus my cousin and my mom are sober right now, and I want to show support and provide a good example.

SiGmA_X posted:

My savings went up drastically when I stopped using my CU for savings and started using ING Direct and then Ally! 3 days is plenty of lead time, especially when I'm a month ahead in my bill payment & checking accounts that I could use if needed, too.

Therapy is FTMFW. I really suggest it. For most anyone, but especially K&J.

I saw you said you are an accountant in another thread. Does that mean you passed the test? Nice. I'm sure that comes with a hefty income boost.

Yep yep I'll look into a therapist when we get our insurance cards. It's a fruitless search looking right now when I don't even know what provider we have. I'll talk to my wife, because I suspect something is up.

I'll get a savings account. Ally seems like the popular one, so I'll probably go there.

Goals for the month:
Follow through on the stopping drinking.
Stop smoking.
Open a savings account to keep our emergency fund and savings goals there, destroy ATM card; wire to checking if we need the money. Prereq: talk to thread before wiring for any event.
Get Kohls card on auto pay (we need the actual card which will be mailed).
Find a therapist.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 12, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't have a response to most of that but I'll say that yes, willpower is a finite resource. You need to expend it to change bad habits and then once they aren't habits any more you can use the willpower on something else.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Bugamol posted:

I'm waiting for him to buy a new computer. I'm almost certain it's coming. Due to simple timing he's going to have $4,000 sitting in the bank this month and it's going to burn a hole in his pocket. He's already made a few casual mentions that he needs to upgrade his rig. It will be followed by many "It's an investment!" "My last computer lasted 5 years!" "It's where I spend most of my free time!"

Either that or it's going to *cough*"break"*cough* and he'll have to replace it.

Didn't realize you finally opened up this thread.

Look - I was right, over a year ago, you finally saved up some money, it was burning a hole in your pocket, and you bought a computer. Except you didn't even try to justify it and instead just lied about it!

[sarcasm]You're definitely making progress Knyteguy! Great job! Keep up the good work![/sarcasm]

Hey your thread is also over 2 years old! Remember when you thought you'd have all your debt paid off and have saved $20k for a house downpayment in just 2 years? How's that coming along?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bugamol posted:

Look - I was right, over a year ago, you finally saved up some money, it was burning a hole in your pocket, and you bought a computer. Except you didn't even try to justify it and instead just lied about it!

[sarcasm]You're definitely making progress Knyteguy! Great job! Keep up the good work![/sarcasm]

Hey your thread is also over 2 years old! Remember when you thought you'd have all your debt paid off and have saved $20k for a house downpayment in just 2 years? How's that coming along?

I really don't think this is a productive post at all. KG realizes that he's not met some of his goals, but he has made some measurable progress.

KG: In addition to locating a therapist, I think you should consider seeking out a Psychiatrist, or a psychiatric midlevel provider - like a nurse practitioner/PA. You need to think about bringing on as much support from professionals as you possibly can. You clearly understand how to budget, but you've also clearly got mental/habits/etc things preventing you from making it happen.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bugamol posted:

Thanks for summing up this thread. Really puts it in perspective. Much respect to this Knyteguy for getting his poo poo together and working to better himself and his family's life.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

Still smoking. I'm not sure if willpower is a finite resource or not, but I haven't had the energy to get going on this yet. I'm also quitting drinking right now, working on finances, starting a workout regime with my wife, and working on some marriage stuff. I'll probably give it a real go Saturday.

If there's one thing that will drain willpower, energy and create a lot of downtime it's drinking. I have a friend who drinks all the time and he hasn't been progressing any of his goals or improving his life. He can see that his drinking severely affects his life yet still hasn't done anything about it. If you can stop drinking you'll notice a considerable difference in your life.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
What the hell is wrong with America that having 17.5 credit cards and two car loans is a normal thing. Maybe I'm financially naive but we have one credit card. It has a $5000 limit. That is all. It is very simple to manage because there is only one. Why do you need a billion different cards? This just enables you to spend more.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

n8r posted:

I really don't think this is a productive post at all. KG realizes that he's not met some of his goals, but he has made some measurable progress.

KG: In addition to locating a therapist, I think you should consider seeking out a Psychiatrist, or a psychiatric midlevel provider - like a nurse practitioner/PA. You need to think about bringing on as much support from professionals as you possibly can. You clearly understand how to budget, but you've also clearly got mental/habits/etc things preventing you from making it happen.

To be fair. This thread is not productive at all. This is KG's second attempt at getting help on the forums. Him soliciting help on this forums dates back over 4 years at this point (his original thread was posted July 19th 2011). And in that time he's used the same excuses time and time again.

I definitely feel bad from him, and have always hoped he'd get his poo poo together, but there's a point where it's just funny. I guess I'm sorry I offended you by not coming back and giving KG a warm hug after he lied to and hid spend from the thread for 3 months.

Snapshot from 2011 for those who missed it last time!

Knyteguy posted:

Hello Goons,

In my previous thread, many mentioned the idea of starting a log thread. I thought this sounded like an excellent idea because I could have both accountability for my impulse buying, and a complete history of both negative and positive progress.

I will try to answer many repeat questions from the previous thread to help clarify our situation. (Thanks Goons, you always give me a non-sexual, warm feeling inside )

Goals:
1) What I hope to accomplish is for my wife and I to save a 20% downpayment for a modest home. I have read some of the buy a house megathread, and we would like to see a home in our future.

2) Save a nest egg, and hopefully enough money to have the option to retire by 45 or earlier. I'm not sure this will be achievable if our income levels stay the same, but this is the goal nonetheless.

3) Curb my impulse buying.

Background
My wife is 23 years old. She will be graduating with her Bachelor's degree next Spring in Art. She has an excellent scholarship that negates all but $800 every semester + books. She has a history of being good with money. Often times I feel like she may enable my spending. She has worked at the same job for 5 years, but the pay is pretty bad ($10.00 an hour for her position as a manager at a grocery store), and there are literally no benefits.

I am 25 years old. I dropped out of college in my junior year to pursue a business. Part of this was due to bad grades (I felt really unchallenged at a community college, so I didn't try very hard...) I'm still running this business (more on this later): http://www.pluswebhost.com/. I am currently starting a new job as a cable installer to help maintain the finances my business requires, and to get off unemployment. I am on unemployment because the business I was working for went under, and because I quit my previous well paying job to pursue college.

Currently we are living in an apartment that is $790.00 per month, plus utilities. The reason this apartment was chosen is that A) it's nice B) it's 5 minutes from my previous work (more on this later as well). My previous job would have afforded this luxury apartment, but I lost it 5 days after moving in. But because our apartment lease is up, we are moving out in a few days to live with my parents, where rent + utilities is $300.00 per month. This is a double whammy of increase income because I am starting my new job.

Did I mentioned I blew $89,000? I was awarded this amount in a lawsuit. I bought an Infiniti G-35, went to Thailand to train Muay Thai, and lost about $20,000 that I invested in stocks in 2007. >_<... Yea, I'm terrible with money.

As you can see: she has her head on straight, and I can be a bit flaky.

New Job, New Income
I will be starting my new job as a cable installer within the next 2 weeks. They've already taken my picture for the badge, and the head secretary is family; it's pretty much guaranteed at this point. The job will be crap, but being able to work nearly as much as I want seems to be a great thing to help us get our finances in order.

I will be receiving a truck to use as long as I'm with the company, as well as all the necessary tools. Pay will start out as minimum wage, but move to piece work after 1 month of training. The secretary told me that workers are being paid $600.00 - $900.00 per week NET pay, depending on how much they work.

The downside? I'll have to pay gas. I may try hypermiling to increase my profits while I'm working. I'm unsure exactly how much gas I may end up using per week. I would assume this is tax deductible however.

My Business
My business, PlusWebHost.com was a project I started to try to get myself a somewhat steady income, and to get myself out of an unfulfilling situation (unemployment). I'm currently grossing about $179.00 per month, and it's growing pretty steadily each month. 5 months ago it was making $5.00 per month. My business niche is slowly paying off.

The catch? Expenses equal slightly more than $330.00 per month. Because I want an actual career in my future, my business will not be forfeited to meet our goals. It is expected to be paying for itself in the next 5 months (maximum). It isn't exactly hemorrhaging money anyway.

Our Car
Before our current car, a 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco, my wife and I had separate cars. I drove a 2006 Subaru WRX that was guzzling $60.00 a week on gas, and I was paying an insurance premium of $210.00 per month. It also needed new tires, brakes, rotors, and registration. Her car was a 1986 Honda Accord that was OK on gas, but needed a new transmission badly. The repair would have been worth 3x the value of the car.

Our current car payment with insurance is $330.00 per month.

Current Income
Wife: $10.00 per hour, roughly 35 hours per week. No benefits.
Myself: $377.00 per week unemployment insurance. Should be starting new job in 1-2 weeks (waiting on background check). No benefits. I have been unemployed for about 1 year
Total: $2,848

Savings
$1,750 ($750.00 is wedding money)

Current Debt
2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - $10,500 @ ~7% APR
Credit Card in Collections - $3795
Current Credit Cart - $1300.00 @ 16% APR
Television - $675.00 @ 0% APR for 3 years
Family Member - $3,000 @ 0% APR (My wife borrowed from her Grandma for a study abroad trip to Japan last year)
Misc. Collections - $500.00
Total: $19,770

Monthly Expenses History
Our current monthly expenses equal about $1,500. This should go down to about $1,000 after moving in with the parents. I can't even tell you where the remainder of our income (~$1,000 per month) is going unfortunately. This is where my impulse buying comes in. We bought a dog, a 3D television, 2 cats, new video games, TF2 keys, etc etc. Extra money burns a hole in my pocket. This month we managed to keep most of it though.

That's all I can think of right now. I apologize for so many . We want to achieve our financial goals as soon as possible, and really could use some help going about it.

In this thread
I will keep this thread updated as long as necessary until our financial goals are met (buying a house). My pipe dream is to post a picture of our new house in this thread. We want to go about this responsibly (with a rainy day fund / nest egg) though.

Thanks a lot Goons

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 12, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

What the hell is wrong with America that having 17.5 credit cards and two car loans is a normal thing. Maybe I'm financially naive but we have one credit card. It has a $5000 limit. That is all. It is very simple to manage because there is only one. Why do you need a billion different cards? This just enables you to spend more.

The way our credit is measured means that you don't want to ever have more than 30% of your credit card credit being used.

but yeah, that much is weird.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And we have a terrible social safety net and pitiful wages. For some (a lot) of people credit cards = food on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bugamol posted:

To be fair. This thread is not productive at all. This is KG's second attempt at getting help on the forums. Him soliciting help on this forums dates back over 4 years at this point (his original thread was posted July 19th 2011). And in that time he's used the same excuses time and time again.

I definitely feel bad from him, and have always hoped he'd get his poo poo together, but there's a point where it's just funny. I guess I'm sorry I offended you by not coming back and giving KG a warm hug after he lied to and hid spend from the thread for 3 months.

Snapshot from 2011 for those who missed it last time!

The only hope KG and Janus is to seek therapy and psychiatric treatments. No amount of posting on the internet or budgeting tricks will help him solve his financial issues.

• Locked thread