Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

e_angst posted:

The whole "Austin is so white" line is concern-trolling bullshit from people outside of Austin who want to try and find some kind of flaw with the place. Meanwhile they are sitting in cities that are fully under the thumb of evangelical churches, real estate developers, and/or the oil industry. Or they're in suburbs that as so segregated they make Austin look like the Bronx (hint: don't try and talk about how Dallas is so much more diverse than Austin when you actually live in Plano).

Not that Austin couldn't use more diversity. Of course, when we do things that try to help increase the diversity of the city (like affirmative action for UT enrollment or having sanctuary-city policies that would be less harsh on undocumented immigrants) the rest of the state goes into overdrive to smack that poo poo down through legislation and/or court action.

You don't actually dispute that Austin is the most segregated major city in Texas, but you think people only point that out because they're irrationally mad at Austin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Aliquid posted:

Fun Fun Fun Fest had a pretty drat good lineup this year. As a whimsically ironic Austinite, Gogol Bordello would have been cool to see. Also, as a whimsically ironic Austinite, I can't afford even second-tier festivals like FFFF

The price increase the past couple years made it too much for me this year, but then the week leading into it, all my friends started selling their passes since they couldn't make it. Luckily the weather was bad enough I didn't feel bad about not taking them up on the discounted price.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

You don't actually dispute that Austin is the most segregated major city in Texas, but you think people only point that out because they're irrationally mad at Austin?

Austin's segregation is nothing compared to DFW, but because that metroplex is splintered into a ton of suburbs (some of which were still practicing what was basically loving redlining as recently as 2014) it makes the numbers for the actual city of Dallas appears more diverse.

The problems Austin has with race are the exact same problems that we have in the entire rest of the state. And people who ignore the massive race problems in the rest of the state (including in the other major cities and their surrounding suburbs) to call out Austin are being for having those same problems are, at best, amazingly disingenuous.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Kinda hard to put "Austin is no worse than the rest of Texas " as a defense when the mantra has been how laid back and liberal Austin is compared to the rest of Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

e_angst posted:

Austin's segregation is nothing compared to DFW, but because that metroplex is splintered into a ton of suburbs (some of which were still practicing what was basically loving redlining as recently as 2014) it makes the numbers for the actual city of Dallas appears more diverse.

The problems Austin has with race are the exact same problems that we have in the entire rest of the state. And people who ignore the massive race problems in the rest of the state (including in the other major cities and their surrounding suburbs) to call out Austin are being for having those same problems are, at best, amazingly disingenuous.

I don't think people think Austin is necessarily worse, just that we like to pretend we're way better than everywhere else in the state.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Well, from the west coast, you look like a Portland with worse weather surrounded by worse people and probably just as racist except with more people from California. Sure sounds appealing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shes In Parties posted:

Well, from the west coast, you look like a Portland with worse weather surrounded by worse people and probably just as racist except with more people from California. Sure sounds appealing.

Hey now, at least Austin wasn't founded to be a white people's paradise free from the black man.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Christ, is there any city anywhere that doesn't suck for one reason or another? Or at least one where the people who live there don't get into pointless dick measuring contests with people from other cities over meaningless bullshit?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Christ, is there any city anywhere that doesn't suck for one reason or another? Or at least one where the people who live there don't get into pointless dick measuring contests with people from other cities over meaningless bullshit?

I'm pretty sure there is historical records of ancient cities building giant wooden dicks to determine which city was better.

Its been a few years since College Station tried :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well, you don't hear much about Lubbock outside of Texas Tech stuff because its residents know it's loving Lubbock.

Also, San Antonio is pretty good.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

Trabisnikof posted:

Hey now, at least Austin wasn't founded to be a white people's paradise free from the black man.

Agreed, gently caress Vidor.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

It just turned out that way :v:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shes In Parties posted:

Portland with worse weather? :lol:

Yes, because 9 months of overcast/rainy weather is "good".

Also, Portland hipsters are insufferably elitist, whereas Austin hipsters are just laid back and weird. hth

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't think people think Austin is necessarily worse, just that we like to pretend we're way better than everywhere else in the state.

Yea it's this. I don't think anyone thinks Austin is the hellhole of Texas, but when people from there pretend like they're some beacon of light us unwashed barbarians could learn from when really we're all about the same levels of poo poo when it's all said and done then that's annoying and dumb.

enraged_camel posted:

Portland with worse weather? :lol:

Yes, because 9 months of overcast/rainy weather is "good".

Also, Portland hipsters are insufferably elitist, whereas Austin hipsters are just laid back and weird. hth

Also this, at least Austin's brand of hipster is just kinda condescending but mostly just wants to chill out and tell you about their dumb one man show art show or stand up routine that's totally gonna change everything buddy. I'll take those guys over the PNW breed of passive aggressive boring nerds any day.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Literally every argument I heard against it was the trans people in bathrooms. So basically because LGB weren't willing to throw T under the bus (like what has happened historically) to get their goals accomplished.

It has more to do with an abysmal GOTV effort by the Yes on 1 organization that funneled all of their money into getting rich white liberal yuppies to vote and did nothing in the way of minority outreach or running any kind of effective advertising

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure there is historical records of ancient cities building giant wooden dicks to determine which city was better.

Its been a few years since College Station tried :v:

JESUS this post right here. :drat:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
1) gently caress Vidor. I hear they are trying to put their reputation behind them but I'm not gonna try and find out.

2) Whenever I hear people say Portland, I think of Portland, Tx, which I used to live near.

3) Austin wins the award for me of the city full of stuff that white people like.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Austin is the only place I know that has Death Metal Pizza.

Long Live Austin

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cities were horrible until about 1999.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So A&M is making an rear end out of themselves defending the idea that they invented and own the term "12th Man".

quote:

Texas A&M University sued the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday in an effort to stop the National Football League team from using the phrase “12th man” to describe its fans.

A&M has called itself the “Home of the 12th Man” for decades as an homage to its football-obsessed fans. The idea is that there are 11 players on the field and the fans are so engaged in the game, they represent a 12th player. The university says it has owned the trademark to the phrase since 1990.

“We bear no ill will toward the Indianapolis Colts,” said A&M System Chancellor John Sharp. “We simply want them to respect our trademark rights. Our actions are consistent with our previous trademark enforcement efforts in this regard.”

The Colts didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.

News of the lawsuit immediately brought online mockery and scorn on social media from football fans, many of whom consider "12th man" a generic way to describe teams' fan bases. But A&M claims ownership of the phrase, and says its tradition of using the descriptor dates back to 1922.

It would be very interesting if the Colts actually decided to fight this, especially if it results in A&M losing the trademark.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

e_angst posted:

So A&M is making an rear end out of themselves defending the idea that they invented and own the term "12th Man".

It would be very interesting if the Colts actually decided to fight this, especially if it results in A&M losing the trademark.

e_angst posted:

Actively defending your trademark when other people use it is required in order to keep a hold of the trademark.

The claim was strong enough when they did this with the Seahawks a decade ago that the Seahawks signed a licensing deal with the university.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea as stupid as it sounds when you actually say "A&M is telling the Colts they actually own the term '12th man' regarding football" but that's just straight up how trademarks work. If you let one thing slip then fifty other people can come up saying 'oh so HE gets to use it? Cool I can too then!"

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea as stupid as it sounds when you actually say "A&M is telling the Colts they actually own the term '12th man' regarding football" but that's just straight up how trademarks work. If you let one thing slip then fifty other people can come up saying 'oh so HE gets to use it? Cool I can too then!"

The fact that they were able to trademark such a generic term (whose origins at A&M are dubious at best) is pretty ridiculous. The Seahawks decided not to fight it and settled for a very small amount. If the Colts were to actually try and fight this, it would be interesting to see if A&M would be able to actually keep the trademark.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

e_angst posted:

The fact that they were able to trademark such a generic term (whose origins at A&M are dubious at best) is pretty ridiculous. The Seahawks decided not to fight it and settled for a very small amount. If the Colts were to actually try and fight this, it would be interesting to see if A&M would be able to actually keep the trademark.

Extremely generic terms are trademarked all the time. I'm loving it? It's the real thing?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

e_angst posted:

The whole "Austin is so white" line is concern-trolling bullshit from people outside of Austin who want to try and find some kind of flaw with the place. Meanwhile they are sitting in cities that are fully under the thumb of evangelical churches, real estate developers, and/or the oil industry. Or they're in suburbs that as so segregated they make Austin look like the Bronx (hint: don't try and talk about how Dallas is so much more diverse than Austin when you actually live in Plano).
I've heard that in Houston. But oh, people in Austin say that too. This is bound up in gentrification, which is a more intense issue in the city because of East Austin's proximity to downtown. It's a very real issue. But there's another fact: Austin is actually becoming less white (or less Anglo) every year. The city is becoming more Hispanic and there's no signs of that slowing anytime soon.

But what's the beef with Plano? It is arguably more diverse than Austin. But that's a testament to how much Plano has changed in the past 10 years.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/texass-cities-one-big-dysfunctional-family/

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 13, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

I've heard that in Houston. But oh, people in Austin say that too. This is bound up in gentrification, which is a more intense issue in the city because of East Austin's proximity to downtown. It's a very real issue. But there's another fact: Austin is actually becoming less white (or less Anglo) every year. The city is becoming more Hispanic and there's no signs of that slowing anytime soon.

But what's the beef with Plano? It is arguably more diverse than Austin. But that's a testament to how much Plano has changed in the past 10 years.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/texass-cities-one-big-dysfunctional-family/

Becoming more Hispanic is a trait Austin shares with the rest of the country.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Becoming more Hispanic is a trait Austin shares with the rest of the country.

Yeah, about the only place that's not becoming true is San Francisco.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the end humanity will be one grotesque amalgamation of everyone anyway so what does it matter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oldpainless posted:

In the end humanity will be one grotesque amalgamation of everyone anyway so what does it matter.

I don't think race mixing is grotesque, but okay.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

beep boop

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Have they ever been to Houston? "White" is not how I would characterize the city at all.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This Texas Tribune article is both relevant to the discussion and one I think you guys might find interesting to read.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Supreme Court has decided to hear the case on HB 2.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He has a fitting name, doesn't he?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Supreme Court Accepts Texas Abortion Law Case

quote:

The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear a challenge to a Texas law that would leave the state with about 10 abortion clinics, down from more than 40. The court has not heard a major abortion case since 2007, and the new case has the potential to affect millions of women and to revise the constitutional principles governing abortion rights.

“Texas is the second-most-populous state in the nation — home to 5.4 million women of reproductive age,” abortion providers challenging the law wrote in their brief urging the court to hear the case. “More than 60,000 of those women choose to have an abortion each year.”

The case concerns two parts of a state law that imposes strict requirements on abortion providers. It was passed by the Republican-dominated Texas Legislature and signed into law in July 2013 by Rick Perry, the governor at the time.

[...]

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

This, along with the UT affirmative action case, will be a real litmus test to determine of Texas has fulfilled its role of being the place where conservatives are successfully able to strike the wedge issues that tear down fundamental liberal institutions. The best-case scenario is that things remain in the status quo. The worst-case scenario, abortion rights and affirmative action are effectively gutted and become a thing of the past.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Waller County, facing a wrongful death suit in the Sandra Bland case, has employed an interesting legal strategy:

quote:

But the 39-page motion makes another, more explosive claim, as well: The blame for Bland’s suicide, it asserts, lies with her friends and family for not helping her secure the $515 dollars she needed to make bail.

“Bland committed suicide by hanging herself in the jail cell, using a rolled/twisted plastic trash bag as a ligature, and tying it around the support of a privacy partition in the cell,” the filing reads. “It is apparent now that Bland’s inability to secure her release from jail—and her family and friends’ refusal to bail her out of jail—led her to commit suicide.”

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Numlock posted:

Have they ever been to Houston? "White" is not how I would characterize the city at all.
Misread. I've heard people in Houston say that to me when learning I'm from Austin.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

blackguy32 posted:

3) Austin wins the award for me of the city full of stuff that white people like.

A recent article in Texas Monthly about the housing situation in SA/Austin/Dallas/Houston made the exact same joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Texas Monthly is so much better now that I don't have to flip through 50 pages of ads for stuff I could never afford.