Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Joining the hallowed Hall Of Fame jobber ranks, standing shoulder to shoulder with such luminaries like Johnny Rodz, Pete Rose, and Ivan Putski, is THE SUPERSTAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
I find it interesting that when I have a rival set I won't fight him at all until the week of the take over ppv, then I will fight him every night.

Worked up to my first nxt title match against kevin owens and thought I had it locked. Used last reversal to block his finisher. Hit him with mine, the third one of the fight, and he kicked out at 2 and 3/4. Stood up, he reversed me and 2 moves later I was pinned. Was so pissed!

Had a match before this where the guy grabbed the ropes on 2 count, ref didn't see and I got the 3 for a win. So awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

even with the kickstart, its still a slog to get out of NXT. If I ever meet Tyler Breeze in real life, I'll be sure to tell him of the endless battles I had with his digital equivalent.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Can you put Arnold into the CAW editor and change his attire?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

You can take video games too seriously or you can take prograps politics too seriously. Putting them together just makes you look like a goon.

Purposefully taking a fall is still a dumb mechanic and it has been dumb every time this game series has ever done it.

As far as a half-kayfabe, half-realistic backstage atmosphere, this series is still playing catch-up with Here Comes the Pain. We're getting closer to the breakthrough gameplay of 2003 though. It sounds like it's still brutally repetitive like most of the Universe mode stuff has been, though.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Have you played the game because I'm wondering why you are so fixated on a single permutation out of many of a mechanic you literally never have to engage with if you don't want to. It's not like Trips personally comes to your house and breaks your disk over his knee or something. :confused:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Geektox posted:

Have you played the game because I'm wondering why you are so fixated on a single permutation out of many of a mechanic you literally never have to engage with if you don't want to. It's not like Trips personally comes to your house and breaks your disk over his knee or something. :confused:

I wish he would, that would be a good story.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Geektox posted:

Trips begs to differ :colbert:

https://youtu.be/KHlT-aZeTUM?t=4m

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Skunkrocker posted:

Can you put Arnold into the CAW editor and change his attire?

People have already made Last Action Hero, Kindergarten Cop and Turboman versions of Arnold.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Sadly because of hair limitations you have to start from scratch to make a good Conan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I like how in that totally real clip of a home invasion they didn't question or implicate the cameraman whatsoever.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Who were all those people in Randy's house

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do like that Career seems to have it set up so 'big' points have special angles. I had a thing where I teamed with Roman right after going to the main roster, only to turn on him at the PPV, and I just got to March of my first year, and got an angle where I helped Hunter beat down Sting, and laid the latter out with the Scorpion Death Drop, presumably to set up a WM match.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
On the topic of having to lose a match, are you allowed to lose it by hitting the guy with a chair instead?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Good Listener posted:

On the topic of having to lose a match, are you allowed to lose it by hitting the guy with a chair instead?

Yup, but bear in mind that deliberate DQs cost you a bunch of match rating, so you'd need to over-achieve to complete the objective on that front.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EA posted this on Twitter with a promise of more info tomorrow:

I wonder what it means.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Kins posted:

I wonder what it means.

It's how to solve the gordian knot, I think.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

The Kins posted:

I wonder what it means.

I played the demo of the last UFC game and it was so, so bad. Hopefully this is better

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I played the demo of the last UFC game and it was so, so bad. Hopefully this is better

They patched a poo poo-ton of stuff after that build. Like, not just fixing clipping glitches, they added sprawling, for instance. Now obviously it should've been there to begin with, but they also didn't need to put it in once the game was out.

On 2k16 talk: I just saw Rollins do a pop-up Pedigree. WHY IS THAT A THING?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I never played the full game version of EA UFC, but the fact that basically everyone had every sort of attack killed most of my desire to play the game. I'd rather have the fighters fight realistically, using moves they're known for.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gaz-L posted:

It's the most tryhard HHH thing possible and I don't even know if he was involved with it

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I never played the full game version of EA UFC, but the fact that basically everyone had every sort of attack killed most of my desire to play the game. I'd rather have the fighters fight realistically, using moves they're known for.

Yeah that's what killed the demo for me as well. You're going through the tutorial and it's immediately teaching you stuff like "here's how you do a flying 360 kick! Now do a superman punch! Yeah good work!"

I just want to have a somewhat realistic fight, I don't need non-stop showtime kicks

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

EA UFC did in fact get massively improved by patches and fixes but that only took it from "really bad" to "meh" for sort of the same reason the WWE games have issues--it was trying to be a fighting game and a sim at the same time so neither ended up good. Here's your physics-based combat with a billion statistics that factor into how well your fighter will perform, now here's Alexander Gustafsson doing a leaping 360-degree tornado kick flush on someone's face to no visible reaction whatsoever.

It was an MMA game where you couldn't stop someone with leg kicks. poo poo was dumb. I will still buy UFC 2 day one because I am a fool.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's too bad THQ is bad at managing a company because UFC 3 had much better mechanics than EA UFC.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There will never be a good submission system in a video game.

WWE or MMA.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any tips for submissions in 2K16? I can't for the life of me keep my bar on the CPUs

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

WWE or MMA.

The one UFC Undisputed 3 was fine and basically a working version of what WWE 2K16 is trying to do.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

89 posted:

Any tips for submissions in 2K16? I can't for the life of me keep my bar on the CPUs

Use the boost when you got it, and if you have no stamina your likely not going to win by submission because boost eats stamina and its the best way to keep up with the AI. Because of this, it can actually be easier to get a submission win earlier in a match on an opponent with a good deal of health left than later when they are wrecked.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

89 posted:

You don't need to rotate the stick. Pressing down when it's at the top is enough for the bar to move down there on its own.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WWE or MMA.

What mechanic would you suggest? I feel like there's a lot they could do with controller axis tilt and/or mouse gestures.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

89 posted:

I might be crazy but it seems like boost works by continually tapping, not holding down the trigger. The trick is to figure out when to hold off on it and when to give chase.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
So I've been working through Universe Mode, with the roster (and some CAWs) split between Raw and SmackDown (and the lowest 20 or so sent to NXT).

Get to Money in the Bank (jointly hosted as all my main roster PPVs are), and all six participants were from Raw--including two people who had yet to wrestle a match in nearly three months (The Rock and Bret Hart).

And here I was hoping to not have to really interject into the booking for this mode.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure WWE has a list of moves that they require be included in every new mode or mechanic, whether it's pop-up moves, catching moves, creation suites, etc. even if they don't make any sense. Thus, a pop-up Pedigree.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CarlCX posted:

It was an MMA game where you couldn't stop someone with leg kicks. poo poo was dumb. I will still buy UFC 2 day one because I am a fool.

This is why I didn't even bother. Wearing someone down with leg kicks made it so much easier to take them down and submit them in the THQ games and it was pretty fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

The one UFC Undisputed 3 was fine and basically a working version of what WWE 2K16 is trying to do.

It was awful in every way and impossible to sub the CPU with it.

sticklefifer posted:

What mechanic would you suggest? I feel like there's a lot they could do with controller axis tilt and/or mouse gestures.

I honestly couldn't say. All the ones I've tried have been terrible, but I have no idea on how to make one that works. I feel like it's just going to be a caveat of the genre.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Add in a peripheral shaped like Hulk Hands with two same-polarity magnets. You gotta try and force the hands together and the closer they are the more submission damage you do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Have an announcement video with no actual gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJgUsTMZ8mw

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey, for everyone like me who wanted to wait, WWE 2k16 is gonna be $30 at Best Buy over the Black Friday weekend. Amazon also usually will sell it at the same price sometime during Black Friday week.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

My perfect submission system would be a mix of Fire Pro and the old Aki System. First, screw any kind of quick time event, they just make it so you can't watch the match because you are focused on the button press about to show up. In fact that is my reason for hating quick time events in the first place, if a game wants to show me a cool looking cut-scene of me ripping some fuckers spleen out with my bare hands, the least they could do is not distract me from it with mandatory button presses or meter chases. Cut-scenes kind of suck in general, but if they need to be in, don't make me engage with them.

So a mix of Aki and the Fire pro engine, what does that get you. Well the AKI part I like is the ability of the guy taking the move, to move toward the ropes and break the hold, that needs to be in the game for all holds, if the hold is one where that makes no sense, like a torture rack, make it so that the same effort needed to break the hold gets you to slip out of it instead.

The Fire-pro part I like is tying submission success to spirit rather than body part. Working the body part is cool and all, but it sucks in practice for every move that isn't body or head because they give you so few moves that target the arms and legs. If body part working is a must for submissions, there needs to be a lot more arm and leg targeting moves. In fact keep body targeting because making a guy limp in a match is cool, but don't tie it to submissions. Screw part targeting submissions, when is the last time Kurt Angle put a ton of time into wrecking a guys leg for the Ankle Lock, no it gets them when he breaks their spirit. That is why a jobber goes down immediately, and why Shawn Michael's sits in it forever before tapping. Ric Flair on the other had does target a guy's legs, but again, no one taps unless they are broken down spiritually, tons of guys who are more main event level get out of the Figure Four when their legs are hosed.

The current and old system means anyone with a leg or arm submission finish is working at a disadvantage, if it targets a general spirit stat instead, suddenly the arm-bar or ankle lock is to be feared again, and I get to see the struggle play out rather than having to watch a bar fill up or look for a random appearing button.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So uh I bought WWE2k16, my first Wrestling game and I'm totally lost as to how to get Pins/Submissions to work right.

I can seemingly totally wreck a dude so his health is next to zero, and then go for a pin and have him kick out, which seems to make not a lot of sense. Also the QTE for submissions/pins is really difficult for me to get right which leads to situations where I have a dude at close to zero health with yellow damage on body and he still wins by submission/pin which again makes no sense.