Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

Your finger is exactly what they want by the sounds of it.

For the first time ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Back at the dorm we once filled up a big barbecue grill with old landline phones and gasoline, because all the electronics poo poo in the phones would give off cool colors. It did, but also the flames were 3 stories high and the grill burned through and we had to replace a section of the flag stones that had been ruined by a lump of molten iron & various other leftovers.

Once we found a couple of old Tektronix data terminals sitting by the dumpsters behind a lab. These fuckers

We dragged them back to our dorm and tore both of them down and found the power supplies, which were big horizontal plates covered with capacitors, some the size of Foster's beer cans, rated to like 1.5F, and a plunger that completed a charging circuit; which meant that naturally we kept one power supply intact as a charging device and disassembled the other one for ammunition

for that evening's charged capacitor fights

8% applicant acceptance rate, ladies and gentlemen

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of magnesium, apparently the US military uses or used magnesium-framed snowshoes for their light weight and ability to be shaved as emergency fire starter. I'm wondering how the Marines felt thinking about walking around the campfire with shoes made of highly reactive tinder.

You have to shave it (under normal circumstances) into powder or thin strips before it will ignite.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Data Graham posted:

rated to like 1.5F,

:eyepop: Holy poo poo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thank you for that, because the next one up was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMhw5MFYU0s

So many clumsy dogs in slow motion.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Neurion posted:

Explain it to the idiots like me. How do you fight with a charged capacitor? What is 1.5F mean?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ya charge em up and ya huck em at each other. From opposite ends of a narrow hallway.

1.5 farads is a looooooot of electrons. we didn't throw that one.

(one guy melted the strike plate of his door though)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJzNNPHFg0

Data Graham posted:

Ya charge em up and ya huck em at each other. From opposite ends of a narrow hallway.

1.5 farads is a looooooot of electrons. we didn't throw that one.

(one guy melted the strike plate of his door though)

Still kind of confusing, but I'll try and translate again, as a dumb, non-electrically educated person:

They have lots of electricity stored in them, so when you throw them at poo poo they explode and pop and spark and make pretty colors and maybe set things on fire.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of magnesium, apparently the US military uses or used magnesium-framed snowshoes for their light weight and ability to be shaved as emergency fire starter. I'm wondering how the Marines felt thinking about walking around the campfire with shoes made of highly reactive tinder.

I got a few pairs of these surplus snowshoes. They're fantastic, the bindings suck a bit but the shoes themselves are so tough and sturdy and because they're all magnesium and I'm guessing some sort of nylon they're super light.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Huh, Godzilla will help you bathe your dog.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Rah! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJzNNPHFg0

Still kind of confusing, but I'll try and translate again, as a dumb, non-electrically educated person:

They have lots of electricity stored in them, so when you throw them at poo poo they explode and pop and spark and make pretty colors and maybe set things on fire.

Imagine taping down the power button on a stun gun and chucking it at your buddies. The goal of the game was probably "don't catch the end that stops your heart."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

syscall girl posted:

You have to shave it (under normal circumstances) into powder or thin strips before it will ignite.

But what if you made a grill out of them(magnesium)? This might be a thing.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Neurion posted:

If you've got 5 grand to meet the minimum order of 10 you can get 6000F super capacitors on digikey. :psypop:

There's a dude on youtube that set up a bank of 350F (I think ~50F effective capacitance from how they were wired) capacitors to replace his car battery, and it worked.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PhazonLink posted:

But what if you made a grill out of them(magnesium)? This might be a thing.

Are you referring to the time that someone did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4ucQCjNvU

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/07/do-you-have-a-perfect-flame-gas-grill-then-read-this/index.htm

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Once in the 60's they decided to make the F1 Honda RA302 with a magnesium chassis. Didn't go well and the driver was killed when it caught fire.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

speshl guy posted:

Similarly I once lit several guitar picks on fire in my room when I was a kid and marveled at how aggressively the fire burnt, like a butane torch. What I didn't consider was that fumes were also being burned off just as aggressively from the plastic and one whiff knocked me out instantly. I woke up with a killer headache and a freshly singed carpet. I was lucky enough not to have burned the house down.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB0lXPiJ_pk

New Failarmy redneck edition. The stunt near the end is pretty brutal, surprised the guy got up and was able to run after that.

My favourite bit, undoubtedly, was the moment where the cameraman said 'Professional Texan', followed immediately by fireworks exploding in someone's face. Too perfect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Crazy guy writes lovely fairytale-inspired fantasy novel, goes bugfuck crazy when a woman leaves a bad one star review and stalks her Twitter and Instagram accounts her to find out where she works, travels from London all the way to Glasgow and smashes a wine bottle over her head when her back was turned. The cops tracked him down pretty quickly, he didn't exactly try hard to cover his tracks. He plead guilty in court today, it turns out there's consequences for crazy poo poo like that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-bottled-ex-countdown-champion-6802185
Somewhat :nms: for photo of head wound stitched up like a Xmas ham.

Here's the review if anyone wants to read it. It contains this wonderfully prescient line: "Unfortunately, Mr. Brittain has gained a bit of infamy on Wattpad where he's known for threatening users who don't praise him (pray for me)"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Goons posted:

:science: shenanigans
Not me and pretty tame by comparison, but his senior year my dad's group of friends threw an open bottle of Mr. Bubble into the big fountain by his high school's football stadium. On homecoming game night. I'm told it was a thing of beauty.

He didn't throw the bottle, but he knows who did, and he isn't telling :v: the fountain still has a fence up around it to this day.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Jonny Nox posted:

Rafael's the Schadenfreude though. He's got to act like he can help any of these people at all but the problems are foundational to the company he works for.

edit: also his life is reading long diatribes about how the company he puts 8+ hours of his day into is terrible and by extension so is everyone who works there.

I thought the freude was the unauthenticated person "Rusty" pretending to work for the company and trying to get people's details.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not me and pretty tame by comparison, but his senior year my dad's group of friends threw an open bottle of Mr. Bubble into the big fountain by his high school's football stadium. On homecoming game night. I'm told it was a thing of beauty.

He didn't throw the bottle, but he knows who did, and he isn't telling :v: the fountain still has a fence up around it to this day.

It was a high school tradition for about twenty years in my home town for kids to add bubble bath to the town fountain at the end of the school year. It was always a glorious sight.

The schadenfreude is that one year, the council decided to be jerks and turned the fountain off for an entire week :( And have done that every year since.

Some people have no soul.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excellent, elaborate prank. Some good, clean schadenfreude fun.

https://www.facebook.com/1513152292330408/videos/1516317675347203/

(Couldn't find a YouTube link, sorry.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Crazy guy writes lovely fairytale-inspired fantasy novel, goes bugfuck crazy when a woman leaves a bad one star review and stalks her Twitter and Instagram accounts her to find out where she works, travels from London all the way to Glasgow and smashes a wine bottle over her head when her back was turned. The cops tracked him down pretty quickly, he didn't exactly try hard to cover his tracks. He plead guilty in court today, it turns out there's consequences for crazy poo poo like that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-bottled-ex-countdown-champion-6802185
Somewhat :nms: for photo of head wound stitched up like a Xmas ham.

Here's the review if anyone wants to read it. It contains this wonderfully prescient line: "Unfortunately, Mr. Brittain has gained a bit of infamy on Wattpad where he's known for threatening users who don't praise him (pray for me)"

Holy poo poo the heroine of his story has a name that's an anagram of the woman he has a conviction for stalking.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Holy poo poo the heroine of his story has a name that's an anagram of the woman he has a conviction for stalking.

He allegedly got the idea for the book when he sent her a Valentine's card (sometime after the police warned him to stop contacting her) where he included an illustration of her as a fantasy character. He had an awesome idea on how to get the book publicized!

quote:

Seven months later, when it was complete, I decided to try to make my book known by getting into the national news. I found out that she worked in Glasgow, so I travelled there with a plan. I was going to tell her that if she came with me, and we faked a kidnapping, we would both become famous. We would go into the hills and camp out for a few days while the nation searched. I had brought the necessary supplies.
https://richardbrittain.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/the-benevolent-stalker/

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Unluckiest batter I've ever seen. 1:53 is :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyprjMmwjFA

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Gorilla Salad posted:

It was a high school tradition for about twenty years in my home town for kids to add bubble bath to the town fountain at the end of the school year. It was always a glorious sight.

The schadenfreude is that one year, the council decided to be jerks and turned the fountain off for an entire week :( And have done that every year since.

Some people have no soul.

I don't see why someone couldn't hide soap in the fountain while it was off so it would suds up when they turned it back on.

Apparently it's pretty expensive to clean those up. I live in Kansas City which has like a billion fountains and whenever one gets soaped there's always a story about how the pump has to be replaced and the fixtures (a lot of which are hundreds of years old and imported from Italy) have to be cleaned. Also, this one is in the Loose Park Rose Garden and the suds blew all over the garden and the Parks and Rec people had to clean the roses off too.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Since we're on the topic of doing stupid things in high school: When I was in a metalshop class, one of my classmates though it'd be really cool to take a thing of oil and pour it in the forge. He ended up losing sight in one of his eyes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm loving the fact the STEAM box was released today as PC GAMING FOR THE PRICE OF A CONSOLE, but the prices for something pretty decent as far as pc gaming goes is around 1000$ or more.

Even a "build your own to act as a steam machine" is gonna run you about a grand.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Skier hits a trench and cartwheels 1,600 feet down a mountain in under a minute. That's almost half a kilometre.

Good news, he was wearing a mic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvQxVE32BQo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think this is a dirty dirty lie cause I know if I fell 1600 feet I'd just be yelling FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKk the whole way down :colbert:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Chromatic posted:

The dry commentary right after 1:48 is priceless:

"Well, now we know why he had that expression on his face."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm loving the fact the STEAM box was released today as PC GAMING FOR THE PRICE OF A CONSOLE, but the prices for something pretty decent as far as pc gaming goes is around 1000$ or more.

Even a "build your own to act as a steam machine" is gonna run you about a grand.

Not sure where you're going with this. Like - isn't that the point of the Steam Machines? That you don't have to spend a grand to get a fully-functional computer to play your Steam games on?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Besesoth posted:

Not sure where you're going with this. Like - isn't that the point of the Steam Machines? That you don't have to spend a grand to get a fully-functional computer to play your Steam games on?

Problem is that you can't actually build a console-tier gaming PC for console prices. (You could if you were making as many Steam Machines as PS4s/XBox Ones, but Valve isn't gonna get anywhere close to those numbers.)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bingo. The whole "YOU CAN GET PC GAMING AWESOMENESS IN 1080P GLORIOUSITY" option for pc gaming is great, but the fact the STEAM CONSOLE options that will get you that awesomeness cost anywhere from 900-1500$ is hilarious to me.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Consoles are cheap because their prices are subsidized by people buying games for them.

Microsoft was losing money on each Xbox sold, the only way a Steambox could be subsidized like that is if Valve produced them directly or they gave a cut of whatever was bought on them to the manufacturer.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Consoles are cheap because their prices are subsidized by people buying games for them.

Microsoft was losing money on each Xbox sold, the only way a Steambox could be subsidized like that is if Valve produced them directly or they gave a cut of whatever was bought on them to the manufacturer.

Hmm geez wiz I wonder if Valve could sell games to offset a loss leader like a Steambox.

Why bother though, they already have all the hats they could ever want.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Bingo. The whole "YOU CAN GET PC GAMING AWESOMENESS IN 1080P GLORIOUSITY" option for pc gaming is great, but the fact the STEAM CONSOLE options that will get you that awesomeness cost anywhere from 900-1500$ is hilarious to me.

The steam machine costs $449 for the cheapest version of it and the most expensive version(with an i7) is $749, not sure where you got the 900-1500. Also if you are willing to build your own machine, you can put together a ~$500 machine that will run any game, though not on the highest graphics settings for the newest games.

:shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Apogee15 posted:

The steam machine costs $449 for the cheapest version of it and the most expensive version(with an i7) is $749, not sure where you got the 900-1500. Also if you are willing to build your own machine, you can put together a ~$500 machine that will run any game, though not on the highest graphics settings for the newest games.

Yep, and even then, the $500 versions will perform similar to current gen consoles, and the more expensive ones are more capable.

It's similar to how cell carriers in the US are moving away from subsidizing phones through an added fee on contract, and are instead selling directly. Some people have griped that "I get a new phone every 2 years, and it usually costs me $100 but now they are asking $600? WTF is this?"
Two different business models.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Chromatic posted:

I know nothing about baseball, but I noticed that after he moved to the Giants when he got hit people would rush out to check he was okay. :3:

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

That is interesting. Please tell us more about gaming platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Apogee15 posted:

I'm assuming you are talking about the alienware one. I was browsing around and seeing most of them "starting at 999$" on http://store.steampowered.com/search/#category1=993