Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chalks posted:

Just go to the big city and say "anyone seen some bad guys with a baby in the last 200 years?", a flawless plan indeed.

It's the only city for miles, so it's not a bad idea to check the local center of populous to try and get some idea of what's going on in the world at-large and maybe get some help. Hell, just finding out about the Institute from the locals there is helpful, because the woman grabbing your kid had some pretty fancy medical clothing and headgear that didn't look scavenged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Boston Public Library, northeast of Diamond City. You'll need either the first rank of Locksmith or possibly a long trip through the subway station beneath it to get in. Explore thoroughly, and look out for robots and mutants. If you don't interfere they'll do a good job killing each other.

Cheers, I know exactly where that is, but there was a door I couldn't get through last time I were there.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what's controls Speech Checks then?

CHA still does. I was mostly complaining about the lack of good perks in that tree.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Game is an absolute blast so far, haven't had any major issues other than AI repeating dialogue lines, no CTDs at all, good performance.

Yeah I'm actually impressed by how stable the game is. I haven't had a single CTD in about 20 hours of play. By comparison New Vegas crashed on me like clockwork when doing such uncommon things as walking through doors or saving the game, and I got NV a year after its release when presumably it'd been patched a number of times already.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Seems like there's a bug with the settlement building display of the Defense score. I was in Sanctuary and the Defense score was all green, but in my Pip-Boy Sanctuary showed up with a warning sign next to Defense. Built another turret and it went green both places.

Also, I hope that having a satisfactory defense rating is enough to keep defense quests from popping up. I don't want to be disturbed when I'm stealing every last wrench in the wasteland!

By the way, how many Bobbleheads are there on the stretch from Sanctuary to (and including) Diamond City? I've only found the Charisma and Repair bobbleheads so far even though I've put 25 hours into the game.

edit: What actually is the penalty for failing a defense quest? Do the settlers just get more unhappy? What actually happens when happiness reaches 0?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So I just bought some Fertiliser Shipments from the Abernathys. How do I cash them in?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah I'm actually impressed by how stable the game is. I haven't had a single CTD in about 20 hours of play. By comparison New Vegas crashed on me like clockwork when doing such uncommon things as walking through doors or saving the game, and I got NV a year after its release when presumably it'd been patched a number of times already.

NV still freezes solid or CTDs every couple hours for me, as does Fallout 3, a thing both have consistently done across both console and PC versions for me forever. I haven't hit a single bug of any kind that I can see in ~8 hours of Fallout 4.

titties posted:

CHA still does. I was mostly complaining about the lack of good perks in that tree.

Attack Dog and Inspirational are cool if you like friends, and Lone Wanderer is good if you don't, but I guess Inspirational is the only one that's deep in the tree. If Local Leader's supply line thing where it links all of your workbenches' materials actually works that's pretty awesome.

EDIT: VVV weirdly, the game seems inconsistent in this; he takes up your companion slot, but I've heard Lone Wanderer still works with Dogmeat. I'd like to know if that's actually the case because 15% extra damage reduction is pretty cool for somebody who hates the look of heavy armor.

Baku fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 11, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My only complaint is that Dogmeat is a full proper companion this time, so you can't take him and a "proper" companion out to kill things.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint is that Dogmeat is a full proper companion this time, so you can't take him and a "proper" companion out to kill things.

Proper

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

So I just bought some Fertiliser Shipments from the Abernathys. How do I cash them in?

I think you just have to interact with a workshop station and they're added to the inventory automatically, at least that's what the pop-up says (I haven't tried it myself yet, but oh boy am I buying the ~25 shipment of adhesive I saw one trader have when I can raise the 3000 caps they're asking for it).

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Actually it's 'wicked propah'

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have a generator but whenever I try to run cables from it to stuff the cable is red and it wont let me. What gives?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow. I just went back to Thicket Excavations a good while after helping the guy there out with the water pump, and drat, that was not really what I was expecting.

I recommend people check the place out if they haven't been there in a while.

fadam posted:

I have a generator but whenever I try to run cables from it to stuff the cable is red and it wont let me. What gives?

It needs to be a direct line, no obstacles or anything in between. It can be a bit finicky.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It looks like Allston isn't in the playable area, I guess they probably couldn't render all of the rats.
:(

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

I built 3 of the top tier water things at Sanctuary now everytime I go back theres 100-200 Purified water waiting for me really helps with the healing.

Someone several pages back asked where this gets deposited. Does it go into the workbench or is there a special container for it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EDIT: VVV weirdly, the game seems inconsistent in this; he takes up your companion slot, but I've heard Lone Wanderer still works with Dogmeat. I'd like to know if that's actually the case because 15% extra damage reduction is pretty cool for somebody who hates the look of heavy armor.

I'd like to see that confirmed too, I'm probably not going to use anyone besides Dogmeat just because I don't care for wrangling companions.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to assign a dude to a trade route. Like I keep reading "oh just establish a trade route!" on every beginners' guide I find but none of them explain the actual buttons to press and things to point at while I'm commanding a settler.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boston Public Library, northeast of Diamond City. You'll need either the first rank of Locksmith or possibly a long trip through the subway station beneath it to get in. Explore thoroughly, and look out for robots and mutants. If you don't interfere they'll do a good job killing each other.

Awesome. 10 INT here I come! :science:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is there a console command to change my character's face? I don't think he looks goony enough.

Also, why is adhesive used for everything? I'm half-tempted to use a console command and give myself an unlimited supply, I wanna make cool guns not scavenge for glue all the loving time! :argh:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope that out in the wide wasteland there's a glue factory just filled with barrels and crates of the stuff.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Game still ownes, have played most of my free time away since release. I am still so sad about the crippled rpg elements tho, having speech/intelligence/science etc. checks was fun, as was just generally lying to people sometimes. The dialogue wheel is dumb as gently caress, "where were you" should not translate into "why wherent you there you coward" (not actual text, but stuff like this happens all the time)

this is the one thing I hope mods fix in a while

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Is there a way to rebind the quick inventory keys on PC? Having them be the number keys makes no loving sense.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

one of the funniest things about this game is that post-apocalypse Massachusetts isn't really much different than regular Massachusetts. Nicer in some ways.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope that out in the wide wasteland there's a glue factory just filled with barrels and crates of the stuff.

Seriously. I have shitloads of everything except goddamn adhesive. Why do I need adhesive to weld metal and screw wood?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Got that sweet laser rifle from the quest people pointed me to in Cambridge. It is wonderful. And, as promised, that quest provided me with enough fusion cells to last me a good while.

For everything Bethesda fell short on compared to New Vegas, they really, really made energy weapons feel awesome as gently caress to use. I never liked them before but I'm loving them now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ymgve posted:

By the way, how many Bobbleheads are there on the stretch from Sanctuary to (and including) Diamond City? I've only found the Charisma and Repair bobbleheads so far even though I've put 25 hours into the game.

I can't remember which it was, but I found one really early in the game and it wasn't Charisma or Repair. It was like Perception or Agility.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Maybe I’m just remembering it wrong, but Fallout 3 and New vegas didn’t have a lot of stuff that wasn’t explicitly marked on the map with a marker than I can recall while I’m finding tons of poo poo in Fallout 4 that isn’t marked. My favorite so far being a breaking bad kill scene, with a dead dude stuffed into a barrel and another in a tub. There can be really nice loot there too, I found a spare suit of Power Armour at an unmarked crashed heli which was nice as I can leave them in different bases now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Got that sweet laser rifle from the quest people pointed me to in Cambridge. It is wonderful. And, as promised, that quest provided me with enough fusion cells to last me a good while.

For everything Bethesda fell short on compared to New Vegas, they really, really made energy weapons feel awesome as gently caress to use. I never liked them before but I'm loving them now.

Yeah energy weapons are amazing now, especially with all the mod choices. The Institute weapons are a nice twist on the normal laser weapons too, and then there's plasma and other poo poo later down the line.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

Is there a console command to change my character's face? I don't think he looks goony enough.

Also, why is adhesive used for everything? I'm half-tempted to use a console command and give myself an unlimited supply, I wanna make cool guns not scavenge for glue all the loving time! :argh:

There's a plastic surgeon in diamond city who can change your face. As for adhesive, I pretty much have it marked permanently and make sure to pick up every single duct tape and glue. There's also a shipment full of it you can buy in diamond city, but that's terribly expensive.

Edit: Also, how do you actually use that supply lines thing you get from Local Leader level 1? It doesn't appear to be automatic, since I have a big old surplus of wood and steel in Sanctuary but can't actually use it anywhere else.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

There's gotta be a non-console command way of changing your appearance even, magazines give you new hair options. But I have no idea how to do this.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously. I have shitloads of everything except goddamn adhesive. Why do I need adhesive to weld metal and screw wood?

Yeah they really really need to massively nerf how much adhesive is used in crafting, its loving insane. Literally everything uses at least 1 adhesive if not 2-4.

No material in the game is nearly as precious as loving duct tape right now. I love me some duct tape for jury-rigging, but comeon. Like you said, screws! welding! Hello!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
everyone playing fallout 3 "eww all this green overlay is horrible, here are a hundred mods to get rid of it"

people playing fallout 4 "eww no green overlay? just more game dumbing down! heres a mod to fix it and bring back the great atmosphere of fallout 3! http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/140/ "

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Diamond City has a Plastic Surgeon doesn't it? I haven't reached it yet but I'm sure someone mentioned it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Post sweet settlement pix plz

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

everyone playing fallout 3 "eww all this green overlay is horrible, here are a hundred mods to get rid of it"

people playing fallout 4 "eww no green overlay? just more game dumbing down! heres a mod to fix it and bring back the great atmosphere of fallout 3! http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/140/ "

The guy who thinks fallout 3 looked like that probably needs to get his eyes tested.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nerds, nerds never change....s.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't remember which it was, but I found one really early in the game and it wasn't Charisma or Repair. It was like Perception or Agility.

Actually I misremembered, it was the Perception one I found. Did a quick look through the list of bobbleheads with one eye closed to not get too spoiled, but seems the only SPECIAL one I missed is Intelligence.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just got to diamond city and got the 'follow the railroad quest'. Quest text :"If I want to fight the Institute, I need to find the underground railroad. my only hint is to 'follow the freedom trail'"

only issue is I've only heard of the institute like twice up to this point, and had no inclination that they were a group that needed fighting. I've definitely never heard any hints about where to find them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Just got to diamond city and got the 'follow the railroad quest'. Quest text :"If I want to fight the Institute, I need to find the underground railroad. my only hint is to 'follow the freedom trail'"

only issue is I've only heard of the institute like twice up to this point, and had no inclination that they were a group that needed fighting. I've definitely never heard any hints about where to find them.

You'll hear some more about the Institute and their relevance if you follow the main quest for a bit. Something to do with that private detective Valentine.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Walrus posted:

Didn't you watch the trailer? You don't find the institute.........the institute finds you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I demand somebody mod in the "Pop Goes the Weasel" tune to the Laser Musket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9RMy0dPm3A

(Not sure if its the previously linked mod being used or just some editing but it is glorious)

• Locked thread