Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Echo Chamber posted:

Well, Nye is popping up on Nightly again tonight.

I guess people vastly overstated Nye's terrible experience the last time he was on.

what was his terrible experience?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy7GOO7Y96Y Ahh, got it. Jesus, that's loving annoying. That's a terrible panel group. Those two are unfunny idiots. That's a terrible show.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dr Christmas posted:

Trevor just made a crack about his own show's few viewers.

Is it really doing that bad? :smith:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2551094/trevor-noah-doesnt-get-much-sympathy-for-appendectomy-as-poor-the-daily-show-ratings-plummet-37-percent/

down 37%

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astro Nut posted:

One thing to be careful about there is that Egypt gets kinda touchy about even suggesting that slave labour was involved, so its not exactly a perspective that's free of ideological influence (then again, few things in archaeology are). Not helped that whilst we call them 'the pyramids' because, well, that's what they physically are, as a collective group they span just short of two thousand years at the most, and even narrowing to the bulk of constructions, that's still most of a millennium. So there's a lot of ways societal and political practices could have gone back and forth in that time - so even if one pyramid was built by slaves, that wouldn't mean all of them were, especially with over two dozen dynasties across Egypt's history.

As a bonus, assuming any kind of historical Joseph did actually exist, the first of the possibilities is late to the Great Pyramid's construction by about, oh, 700 years?

Also, I feel amused and horrified to realise that devices used for elections in the United States are about as protected as the save files for a first or second generation Pokemon game.

Well, you do have to keep in mind that when you live under the rule of the God King definitions of free are kind of loose. There absolutely would have been slaves working at all the pyramid sites, because slavery was fairly pervasive. However the bulk of the labor was probably all those farmers with gently caress all to do while they waited for the Nile to flood the banks and fertilize the land. Never underestimate the work power of a serf class fueled by religion and booze.

Almost everything I know about the pyramids comes from a report I had to do on beer. It's also why the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth, they were out of booze.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Putting up with sitting across from idiots while struggling through trying to make his point is like 95% of Bill Nighy Nye's career these days.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 11, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Putting up with sitting across from idiots while struggling through trying to make his point is like 95% of Bill Nighy's career these days.

Yeah, but he's such a great actor. Loved him in Love Actually.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

raditts posted:

That segment about the Afghanistan gas station is serious :psypop:

realtalk im just surprised they didnt funnel more through it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also trevor has stepped his interview game up a bunch

shutting up dan price before he started his company presentation speech was great

realtalk this is better than any of colbert's paid-for app interviews

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 11, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Is there something cynical about this CEO trying to make himself look good?

Or am I cynical for thinking there must be a catch? I'm inclined to think every CEO who tries to paint himself as some forward-minded progressive is actually some secret libertarian shitlord.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I wonder why that is, he's certainly been at / better than the level of Stewart's last couple of years.
lol at that article citing Breitbart's barely concealed glee over the news, though.

Echo Chamber posted:

Or am I cynical for thinking there must be a catch? I'm inclined to think every CEO who tries to paint himself as some forward-minded progressive is actually some secret libertarian shitlord.

Beyond some people being all "I'm mad about how much other people are being paid," it doesn't seem so. I think he might surprisingly just be a guy who cares about his employees getting a decent wage.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 11, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Echo Chamber posted:

Yeah, it's you. You're the bad person here.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

raditts posted:

I wonder why that is, he's certainly been at / better than the level of Stewart's last couple of years.
lol at that article citing Breitbart's barely concealed glee over the news, though.

Jon Stewart was an institution, and the show took several weeks off between hosts. I'm guessing people fell out of the habit of tuning in and figured the new guy wouldn't be as good anyway. Hopefully Comedy Central gives Noah time to build the audience back up because I like him a lot.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The breitbart article was sensationalist and the drop in ratings isn't something that Comedy Central wasn't expecting or unprepared for.

Jon Stewart's ratings sucked for two years after he took the mantle

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
I really liked Dan Price, and Trevor did a great job interviewing him. In fact I think this was my favorite interview so far both in terms of Trevor's skill as an interviewer and in terms of my interest in what the person had to say.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

speshl guy posted:

The breitbart article was sensationalist and the drop in ratings isn't something that Comedy Central wasn't expecting or unprepared for.

I would be more willing to blame the Nightly Show for making people think the Daily Show would be bad after Stewart left. That's probably not true but it feels true.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Soylentbits posted:

I would be more willing to blame the Nightly Show for making people think the Daily Show would be bad after Stewart left. That's probably not true but it feels true.

It's truthy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

speshl guy posted:

The ratings didn't just suck, he sucked hardcore at first

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

That's healthy cynicism at work. I've read a few articles and even applied to work for Gravity Payments, he sounds genuine to me. Seeing him speak helped me drop my cynical attitude too - he looked like he gives a poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's healthy cynicism at work. I've read a few articles and even applied to work for Gravity Payments, he sounds genuine to me. Seeing him speak helped me drop my cynical attitude too - he looked like he gives a poo poo.

yeah, he did a lot of "young mba" talking, but he seemed genuine enough.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Also, is the show's "Low Rating" Just people who are watching it live or does that also include people watching it online or on their app?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's like nobody prepared Jeb! for interaction with the outside world.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I so love the term "abortionist." It sounds like someone who straps on a suicide vest and races into a uterus.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Been catching up on the Daily Show this week and this segment about the natural gas station :stonk:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The ratings didn't just suck, he sucked hardcore at first

Yeah, I stopped watching the show for a while after he started because at first he managed to be worse than Kilborn.

Von Sloneker posted:

I so love the term "abortionist." It sounds like someone who straps on a suicide vest and races into a uterus.

You have to keep in mind that the people that actually subscribe to the idea of "abortionists" are the kind of people that legitimately thought this was real.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 12, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is the tape of the guy who got tasered to death too depressing and sad to bring up on TDS/Nightly?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MariusLecter posted:

Is the tape of the guy who got tasered to death too depressing and sad to bring up on TDS/Nightly?

I expect Nightly to bring it up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So when liberals say Republicans should be less like Reagan and more like Eisenhower, this probably wasn't what they had in mind.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

I expect Nightly to bring it up.

Whoa, I mean, a tasering death sounds like it at least has some potential for comedy. I don't really see Wilmore being up for that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

Are you talking about the guy who got tasered, then shot to death because the cop was a'feared for her life that his twitching from being tasered was really him reaching inside his coat for a gun? Or is this a different case because of course it is?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

raditts posted:

Are you talking about the guy who got tasered, then shot to death because the cop was a'feared for her life that his twitching from being tasered was really him reaching inside his coat for a gun? Or is this a different case because of course it is?

The one where the guy was hallucinating, paranoid because he was ODing on cocaine and having a medical emergency so the cops took him to the ER in cuffs, then two officers tasered the poo poo out of him at the same time for running into the ER entrance.
Then they shackled his legs, put him back in the squad car, tasered him more cause he wouldn't sit up straight and drove him away from the hospital to the local jail and when they get there and open up the back he is a corpse.

The same hospital camera shows the ambulance dropping off his body later. It's like poetry.

My favorite part was one officer pressing the taser to the guys shoulder in the back of the squad car saying, "Act like you got some sense!" ZapZapZap

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 12, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

The one where the guy was hallucinating, paranoid because he was ODing on cocaine and having a medical emergency so the cops took him to the ER in cuffs, then two officers tasered the poo poo out of him at the same time for running into the ER entrance.
Then they shackled his legs, put him back in the squad car, tasered him more cause he wouldn't sit up straight and drove him away from the hospital to the local jail and when they get there and open up the back he is a corpse.

The same hospital camera shows the ambulance dropping off his body later. It's like poetry.

My favorite part was one officer pressing the taser to the guys shoulder in the back of the squad car saying, "Act like you got some sense!" ZapZapZap

:stare: Holy poo poo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

raditts posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Here's the sobering stat: their tasers were discharged over 40 times that shift between them, and the best defense given to this is "we don't know how many of those hit the victim".

Also that this happened two years ago now, and the security camera footage only leaked this week, just before it was about to go to trial. They almost got away with this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We need to make cameras on tasers compulsory.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Larry is engaging when he's legit angry, but lately I've been concerned how frequently some story requires him to be angry.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Here's the sobering stat: their tasers were discharged over 40 times that shift between them, and the best defense given to this is "we don't know how many of those hit the victim".

Personally, I would have gone with "Wait, but... but... I have been told these things are non-lethal!"

(Somewhere out there, there's at least one hillbilly cop who actually thinks that).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Am I the only one who just kinda felt bad for the election commission lady in that segment? Like, I get it's an absurd situation but her just kinda going 'they all know this' when he was saying 'you know you're saying we can't do poo poo right' like that was some big bomb just kinda made me think 'poo poo dude what's she supposed to do mug the Koch brothers?'

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, is the show's "Low Rating" Just people who are watching it live or does that also include people watching it online or on their app?

I read a Salon article that said his numbers are down on TV, but going way up on mobile/online and with millennials in general. This was an article slagging him off for not being the satirist Jon was, and yet it was very positive about his viewership overall.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Am I the only one who just kinda felt bad for the election commission lady in that segment? Like, I get it's an absurd situation but her just kinda going 'they all know this' when he was saying 'you know you're saying we can't do poo poo right' like that was some big bomb just kinda made me think 'poo poo dude what's she supposed to do mug the Koch brothers?'

I'm pretty sure Colbert had either her or someone similar saying the exact same thing back when he was loving around with the super PAC.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

IRQ posted:

I'm pretty sure Colbert had either her or someone similar saying the exact same thing back when he was loving around with the super PAC.

Super PACs are awful but have they actually done anything of note?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, Trevor is going to have quite some poo poo to process on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Astro Nut posted:

So, Trevor is going to have quite some poo poo to process on Monday.

With regards to Paris, or what?

• Locked thread