Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

icantfindaname posted:

You don't actually need all that many people if all you're doing is extorting furs and other luxury goods out of the natives at gunpoint

My understanding is the French weren't really like that because that's a good way to get your rear end killed when you're basically isolated from anyone who will help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i was just assuming they used the same techniques as the russians with the siberian natives. maybe i and jeb! both owe the french an apology

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

i was just assuming they used the same techniques as the russians with the siberian natives. maybe i and jeb! both owe the french an apology

It's a whole lot easier to march troops over Siberia than the Atlantic.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
From what I saw in class, French fur trappers got along alright with Natives, even had kids with them.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kavak posted:

It's a whole lot easier to march troops over Siberia than the Atlantic.

yes, but the french cheated and sailed over the atlantic

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ras Het posted:

Why exactly would you need to know French to visit France?

All the anecdotal stories you hear make you think the French will eat you if you dare to speak English to them.
But I'm also unwilling to learn their weird language of clicks and whistles. Anyway, enough with the derail.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

Maps people, christ.

edit: ^^^ English people in Quebec love to bring up that sort of anecdote, indeed love to make fun or belittle Quebecois in any way.

e2: It really bugs me how that map maker tool leaves out some of the islands in northern Canada. Its not like they're very important, but the visuals bug the hell out of me.

Westerners not actually the biggest racist shock!? Turns out the entire world is poo poo plot twist no one saw coming!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No, this just means you're good at hiding it when asked this specific question.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's a really good map because there is exactly one concept of "race" in the world and it's also easily translatable into every language.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Count Roland posted:

Maps people, christ.

edit: ^^^ English people in Quebec love to bring up that sort of anecdote, indeed love to make fun or belittle Quebecois in any way.

e2: It really bugs me how that map maker tool leaves out some of the islands in northern Canada. Its not like they're very important, but the visuals bug the hell out of me.

Unfortunately, I can't find it right now, but the last time this was posted, someone posted an article about that map that said that the question wasn't phrased the same way in every country. For instance, in India, for that question they specifically said a Pakistani neighbor rather than a neighbor of a different race.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It definitely wasn't phrased that way in the UK or North America then :v:

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Politically loaded because Catalunya is indicated as part of spain?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

From what I saw in class, French fur trappers got along alright with Natives, even had kids with them.

Indeed, the coureurs des bois had mostly positive relations* with Natives, because coercion was rather hard when you're a half-dozen dudes around hundreds of locals. A recurring theme of New France is that instead of Natives receiving the revelation of True Religion and assimilating into European culture, Frenchmen were adopting into the local society with startling ease and marrying Sauvageonnes, to varying degrees of acceptance from the state and church.

Of course, all that is why there is a Métis people still in the Prairies. (Sapré crinqué de Louis Riel.)

*That said, the trade in itself caused severe disruption of local economy, but that happened at an economic level removed from personal interaction.

And yes, the middle coasts of France, Normandy in the North and Poitou on the Atlantic, along with Île-de-France, were the main sources of colons. My own direct line ancestor was from La Rochelle.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Politically loaded because it shows Texas as being part of the US.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Belgian posted:

Politically loaded because Catalunya is indicated as part of spain?

Mercator, silly if for no other reason than you're wasting two thirds of your map area.

Also Catalunya is rendered in its native catalá, but is a region rather than a city even if you believe it rightly Spanish (the track is in an outskirt of Barcelona) - bonus for it being the Spanish Grand Prix with Valencia being the European. Yas Marina also breaks the naming pattern (Abu Dhabi).

And it's technically a list of 2012 season circuits, not all accredited Formula 1 circuits.

Oh.

OH. Cheap joke pattern. Uh.

Politically loaded because it shows Quebec as being part of Canada? v:shobon:v

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Look at India you dolts.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Is that all of Kashmir to India?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Beyond the Berniedrome

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ecureuilmatrix posted:

If Pakistan wants a say they can build a Formula 1 circuit :colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Yup, Kashmir still isn't independent, what else is new.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Evrey single map ever is "politically loaded".
Stop sperging like mega sperglord jesus gently caress. Post maps.

Cause I won't.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Early stereoscopic 3D map of Germany.

I know that's not what it is

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 11, 2015

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jaramin posted:

Early stereoscopic 3D map of Germany.

I know that's not what it is

Is it comparing a map made using triangulation to one using traditional methods?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it Bismark's attempt to expand the Reich by long wires attached to an engine in Paris?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Is it comparing a map made using triangulation to one using traditional methods?

Maybe. But then what's the third coastal outline to the north?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Is it Bismark's attempt to expand the Reich by long wires attached to an engine in Paris?
Uhm, Bismarck wasn't born in 1750...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I didn't see the date on it.

In that case maybe it's a best guess of where Germany actually is because half of it was about a billion states the size of a house.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

An alimentarily-loaded map:

Most popular alternative diet by... media market?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Indeed, the coureurs des bois had mostly positive relations* with Natives, because coercion was rather hard when you're a half-dozen dudes around hundreds of locals. A recurring theme of New France is that instead of Natives receiving the revelation of True Religion and assimilating into European culture, Frenchmen were adopting into the local society with startling ease and marrying Sauvageonnes, to varying degrees of acceptance from the state and church.

Of course, all that is why there is a Métis people still in the Prairies. (Sapré crinqué de Louis Riel.)

*That said, the trade in itself caused severe disruption of local economy, but that happened at an economic level removed from personal interaction.

And yes, the middle coasts of France, Normandy in the North and Poitou on the Atlantic, along with Île-de-France, were the main sources of colons. My own direct line ancestor was from La Rochelle.

The Métis of Canada are an interesting bunch. The descendants of fur trappers and indigenous people by the late 18th century they had developed a unique culture apart from both white and aboriginal identity. Semi-nomadic, they lived by hunting and trading across the Great Plains and boreal forests of central Canada, often living in their own Métis villages and generally speaking French. In the 19th century they joined with various First Nations to oppose colonization of their homeland by Anglo-Canadian settlers, and were defeated in a series of conflicts that saw their leaders jailed or hanged. Today they are recognized by the Canadian government as an indigenous people.

The Red River basin, the historical homeland of the Métis people and primary conduit for their trade.

As stock of buffalo and other game declined and Anglo-settlers dispossessed them of traditional lands, the Métis moved west. Some settled in parts of the U.S. Great Plains, but denied recognition of their identity most eventually assimilated into either local Indian tribes or white society. Today most existing Métis communities are in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

icantfindaname posted:

You don't actually need all that many people if all you're doing is extorting furs and other luxury goods out of the natives at gunpoint

You don't know a lot about the fur trade as no one really pushed the Huron or the Iroquois around till after the American revolution and it more then likely wasn't till Tecmseh's war they where spent as a political force.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

An alimentarily-loaded map:

People who are most likely to preach about their diet?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That is not a very useful scale there.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Most popular alternative diet by... media market?

According to Google, so... Yes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love how media markets are split up. Idaho is split into five of them, but there's one media market for the entire greater NYC area.

I understand that the reasons for this have to do with the physical limits of broadcasting terrestrial TV in mountainous areas, but still.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

I love how media markets are split up. Idaho is split into five of them, but there's one media market for the entire greater NYC area.

I understand that the reasons for this have to do with the physical limits of broadcasting terrestrial TV in mountainous areas, but still.

It has more to do with the fact that TV broadcasts go a decent way, and radio broadcasts even more so, and media markets' primary function is to avoid interference. You simply can't meaningfully split up the NYC broadcast market even though it covers a full 6.5% of the country's population

Also nearly all of those media markets that are in Idaho at all are land area wise about the same size or bigger than the NYC metro.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

It has more to do with the fact that TV broadcasts go a decent way, and radio broadcasts even more so, and media markets' primary function is to avoid interference. You simply can't meaningfully split up the NYC broadcast market even though it covers a full 6.5% of the country's population

Also nearly all of those media markets that are in Idaho at all are land area wise about the same size or bigger than the NYC metro.

And there are big rear end mountains in Idaho. The largest market in the area seems to correlate with the Snake River Plain, which is as flat as you can expect.

Oh, speaking of which:

Locations of the Yellowstone Hot Spot, in millions of years.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 12, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Areas where internationally-recognized governments exercise full sovereignty. Grey represents stateless territory, in which government authorities have little to no authority.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 12, 2015