Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was reading somewhere that a GTX 460 would be the equivalent of a the minimum stated card which is GTI 550. Is anyone running with a GTX 460 I really don't want to get the PS4 version since mods are the only way the game is going to get better...but I don't want it to not be able to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh the starting very first settlement should have all the crafting stations there are pretty much from the get-go.

The only one I think wasn't there was chems and there's one of those at the red rocket.

Oh you can move crafting stations between settlements? Didn't know that.

There's a chem station behind a house in sanctuary

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zaphod42 posted:

And yeah, who cares, Its just $70.

Lmao. Good irony.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"The only thing that means less to me than seventy dollars is two hours of free time." - The Middle Class Goon

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Broken Cog posted:

To be fair, the whole opening sequence is really dumb, and honestly one of the weakest openings of the fallout games so far.

I thought it was cool seeing pre war America but I agree that it was a weak opening. They should have either given you more time with the family, more time in the vault or both. But I guess they wanted to get the player into the action asap.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Also, for anyone on PC who met minimum specs but didn't hit recommended - I'm running an AMD system (shut up) and didn't hit Recommended on a couple of categories and it defaulted me to Ultra. After turning off God Rays, it runs like a dream.

Also, if you turn God Rays to OFF, then play the game, and exit, the next time you load it up, God Rays will have defaulted back to LOW. You need to turn it off again. Even on Low, you can feel them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I might be an idiot. I got water pumps and bottles, but can't seem to put water in the bottles. How's a person to cook?

Also the invitation to join the BoS is a lot less enticing when I'm already a General of my own civilization :smug:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Found a .308 pistol on some random raider corpse in Concord I must have missed last time around. I love that I will be able to take this cut down piece of trash and make a fully tuned sniper rifle out of it.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I just found this:

http://www.fallout4map.com/

Locations of Bobbleheads, Holotapes and more!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyduck: what in the gently caress Bethesda...

Loot things from the game world with W. Loot things from containers with E.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Word to the wise, if you come across a small shack with a machine gun turret on top of it, don't approach until you have a rocket launcher in hand.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Chalks posted:

Just go to the big city and say "anyone seen some bad guys with a baby in the last 200 years?", a flawless plan indeed.

HATE INVESTIGATION

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

when you reach Megaton in Fallout 3, you can ask the guy at the gate “has anyone seen my father? Middle-aged guy”, so it wouldn’t be out of the question.

Yeah, but Liam Dadson only went missing several hours ago at most, and it's reasonable to assume he might have stopped at the closest settlement to rest or stock up on supplies. I also imagine that "middle-aged guy" is just an abstraction and that in-character, you're giving a more detailed description. Since he actually changes his appearance based on how you make your character look (which is actually a really nice touch), they couldn't exactly write dialogue for every possible permutation of his facial features.

Ahdinko posted:

Did Bethesda just drop a Gary Glitter joke?

Beaten, but yeah, I'd wager it's a reference to this Gary.

MisterBibs posted:

:cry: "I failed a speech check with my love interest!" :cry: Why don't you have a save before that convo, even if you're blind to what's coming up?

To be fair, the fact that confessing your love for a companion is a percentage-based Charisma check, and failing apparently ends the romance, is really loving stupid. It might have been funny or cute if a low Speech skill meant you stumbled over your words and your love interest had a small laugh at your expense, but things otherwise went normally. Of course, there is no Speech skill anymore, and that's probably a bit too subtle for Bethesda anyway.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

my favorite of these was mass effect 3, which was even worse (in the realm of 3.0) almost entirely due to the last 15 minutes of the story, despite the other 50 hours of the game or whatever playing and being written exactly like the near-universally acclaimed mass effect 2

THE ENDS ARE BAD

A bad ending can retroactively sour everything that came before it. Also, ME3's ending wasn't just bad, it was legendarily bad, and it hosed the setting so much that they have to set the new game in effectively a different universe.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 11, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I just found this:

holy loving poo poo this is amazing

Edit: It doesn't show the Fat Man I found Robotics Disposal Ground, slightly north and a bit east of Sanctuary.. on top of a trash heap behind the scary looking inactive robot. There was a spare Mini-Nuke stashed somewhere right by the entrance to the place too. And just east of that is another power armor frame, but only had like a leg and the chest piece in tact.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 11, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Just to be clear, even if your lovely character and your character's lovely spouse are dark-skinned, Shaun is always a swarthy white dude, right?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I thought it was cool seeing pre war America but I agree that it was a weak opening. They should have either given you more time with the family, more time in the vault or both. But I guess they wanted to get the player into the action asap.

The pre-war america part of it was cool.

The "Oh you're in the vault ok now you're not whewh glad we got that over with" part wasn't. I like the whole concept that all the vaults are experimental monkey chambers for Vault-Tec and whatnot, but they copped out hard on this one.

Mostly I really just hate that I'm chasing a kid that I don't give a single gently caress about. I didn't care about dad in Fallout 3 either but at least he had the key to some secret magical garden growing device or whatever the poo poo. It was something interesting to chase down, regardless of if dad was with it at the end.

FO4 is really just "GOTTA GET MAH BABY BACK. GOVNM'T STOLE MAH BABY".... and it sucks. (Though I guess it doesn't matter I just pretend "Shaun" is a codeword for a massive nuclear armament and thats my baby that I need back desperately so I can kill everyone.)

HATE CHILDREN

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 11, 2015

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I found another cool legendary, this time its for you jet-heads out there.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
What's the earliest i can build my village? I'm in Sanctuary now but it seems i cannot find crystals for the radio broadcast to get new people

edit: overall really good game, far as i have seen

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA

PantsBandit posted:

I loved this opening. Short and sweet. To the point. Let me the gently caress out of the vault I understand what's going on. Basically I forgot to make a new char save before exiting but I don't care because you can go through the beginning so fast.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Are legendary monsters / items just RNG or is their some sort of general thematic placement? I've found two so far, but I've noticed when you start the game over the locations of some things move around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Just to be clear, even if your lovely character and your character's lovely spouse are dark-skinned, Shaun is always a swarthy white dude, right?

Nah somebody said they had a black baby and somebody else had a brown baby.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

How long until the "White male character, white spouse, black baby" mod?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Two white parents and a brown baby for me.

I'm the wife so I guess I cheated at some point.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Abyss posted:

Word to the wise, if you come across a small shack with a machine gun turret on top of it, don't approach until you have a rocket launcher in hand.

Machine gun turrets are piss easy to kill, even the high level ones.

They are also my primary source of 5.56 ammo. For those of you unaware the assault rifle single shot is actually a really loving good weapon. I swap between it and the battle rifle. Whichever one runs out of ammo goes on the back burner as I slowly collect a stockpile again.

EDIT: For the record I haven't found a gun yet that isn't good. Even the lovely little pipe machine pistol you can build at the start had it's place for a while (Though it's hopelessly outmatched by level 20 and got turned into some metal, screws, and wood).

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

pmchem posted:

FO4 is getting a metacritic user score of 4.7:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4

Has this been to discussed to death somewhere on a prior page yet?

-RPG elements all but gone, you can't roleplay, you can't make any real decisions, most NPCs are just set pieces,
-godawful writing and story
-horribly lazy quest design, vast majority are just barebone kill/fetch quests which even applies for the main quests
-balance issues Bethesda proving that they still have no loving clue
-most perks and equip mods are boring percentile increase
-almost all the loots are randomly generated diablo style AND scaled to level. So there is really no incentive to go out of your way to explore.
-UI design that proved Bethesda learned absolutely nothing all those years
-World full of empty contents
-factions might as well not be there with how absolutely pointless it is to join them.
-etc....

Randomzx fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 11, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

What's the earliest i can build my village? I'm in Sanctuary now but it seems i cannot find crystals for the radio broadcast to get new people

edit: overall really good game, far as i have seen

You just find crystal around.. I found a crystal liquor decanter in a bank or office or something somewhere and that breaks down into it. Check vendors for that, I've seen them show up before.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think my biggest annoyance with the game is the way a character will speak up and there's no way to tell whether it's just ambient dialogue or the beginning of a conversation. The only way to determine the difference is to stop and look at the character for a second.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

xanif posted:

Two white parents and a brown baby for me.

I'm the wife so I guess I cheated at some point.

Same, my character and his wife are both white, baby looked brown-ish??? IDK. I don't know if that will continue when I finally manage to FIND SON

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pmchem posted:

FO4 is getting a metacritic user score of 4.7:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4

Has this been to discussed to death somewhere on a prior page yet?

Looks like Obsidian doesn't have to pay them their bonus

Lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I just found this:

Super useful.

Also according to this the game has 29 settlements.

Eonwe posted:

Looks like Obsidian doesn't have to pay them their bonus

Lol

I doubt they have the same lovely contracts as Bungie :lol:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Loot things from the game world with W. Loot things from containers with E.
melee and grenade on the same loving button

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fintilgin posted:

Today's amazing physics moment brought to by Bethesda!

Sniped a bandit standing waaaaay up on that railing marked with the red arrow. They flew up in the air, smashed off the wall above them and tumbled through the air to crash land literally at my feet. I had to back up to get both the body and railing in shot.

Long distance sniping seems to do wacky physics poo poo, but this is one of the funniest Bethesda moments I've personally seen in my own play.
When I went to clear the drive-thru, I killed all the mole rats and there was still one red pip up, so I walked over and realized it was underground, the mole rat hadn't popped out of the burrow/spawn point yet. As I'm standing over the hole looking down the mole rat starts to come out, I go into VATS and dogmeat attacks it. I shoot the molerat just as dogmeat hits it and as the molerat crests from his hole - sending both him and dogmeat flying far into the sky.

I never fond the mole rat, but Dogmeat came back eventually.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Well if we're listing complaints: I feel like the only places where people live are the settlements I live and the one main town. Every encampment I roll on is either full of raider assholes or supermutants. Coming from NV where there were a half dozen small towns it all feels a bit naked and hostile. I mean I'm only level 20 though so I could just be missing out on late game settlements.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Would quite honestly enjoy a mod that causes Codsworth to flip the gently caress out and murder your spouse / child as the bombs start going off, then removing any mention of them from the remainder of the game and replaces all the dialogue with something else.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

projecthalaxy posted:

Same, my character and his wife are both white, baby looked brown-ish??? IDK. I don't know if that will continue when I finally manage to FIND SON

Oh good, I'm not alone. Also, there's a pack of cigarettes in the living room that apparently doesn't belong.

Gonna be hard to find motivation for this one.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm playing under the assumption that my character has accepted that he may never find his son but it's the only thing keeping him from having a total nervous breakdown. Realistically, the abduction could have happened 10 minutes into cryo, or 10 days, or 10 years, or 100 years, or 10 minutes before I woke up. Surely your character has to realize this. But you lost your infant son, and poo poo's weird now. Just roll with it.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Another awesome legendary drop

If people dont care I can stop posting these. I really dig the borderlands-ish loot system now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Well if we're listing complaints: I feel like the only places where people live are the settlements I live and the one main town. Every encampment I roll on is either full of raider assholes or supermutants. Coming from NV where there were a half dozen small towns it all feels a bit naked and hostile. I mean I'm only level 20 though so I could just be missing out on late game settlements.

I think the idea with this one is that you establish those footholds. Like at first everybody is hiding in the safety of the big city and the outskirts are all overrun with raiders, but you can clear out the raiders and establish little towns that make it safe for people. Which is kinda cool but different.

There's still definitely some places around with people though, lots of little events to bump into. Check out that map, the game is full of poo poo people don't know about yet.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One thing I find amazing about this game is how terrifying everything is compared to FO3/NV. Bloatflies? Terrifying. Molerats? loving terrifying. Ghouls? Really loving terrifying. And these all felt completely non-threatening in the previous games.

edit: also, I found a dude who ate some bad canned meat and wouldn't stop farting. He told me to leave. Game 10/10.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I did the quest 'Confidence Man' and I regret my words and deeds. Is there any way to kinda undo what I did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rhymenoserous posted:

Did you find Covenant? I've only played 6 or so hours but that was one of the first places I stumbled across. It's got a pretty cool side quest attached to it as well.

• Locked thread