Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Shout says the 15-disc Halloween deluxe set is out of print, so buy now or forever hold your peace (or forever pay crazy ebay prices)...$99 on Amazon right now.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

How many of the exclusive special features are worthwhile? I'd hate to pay $100 for one classic, one watchable time waster, and a poo poo ton of, well, poo poo.

Edit: Read the Amazon summary, so yeah, there are exclusive special features.

Oooooooo! A never before seen director's cut of Halloween 6! I've always said that if only the director of Halloween 6 had been free from meddling, we would have had a masterpiece.

Yeah there really are a ton of special features exclusive to the set. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of mine so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've got the Halloween set, and all I can say is loving buy the Halloween set.

And then dig deep into Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 because, wow, it's super weird and misguided.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Shout says the 15-disc Halloween deluxe set is out of print, so buy now or forever hold your peace (or forever pay crazy ebay prices)...$99 on Amazon right now.

Very glad I got this and the Friday the 13th box last month.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has proudly released the list of their initial UHD Blu-Ray titles, to be released in early 2016:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Salt
Hancock
Pineapple Express
Chappie
The Smurfs 2

quote:

Great job Sony, all outstanding titles that are sure to sell people on the benefits of this new format. People will be lining up to buy a $1000 player and replace their TV with one which supports both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 as required.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rastor posted:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has proudly released the list of their initial UHD Blu-Ray titles, to be released in early 2016:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Salt
Hancock
Pineapple Express
Chappie
The Smurfs 2

Great job Sony, all outstanding titles that are sure to sell people on the benefits of this new format. People will be lining up to buy a $1000 player and replace their TV with one which supports both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 as required.

Even the 3 people that like those movies are scratching their heads.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
All those films were shot digitally in 4k, right? I think I might have solved the mystery.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm holding out on the format until these UHD releases:

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair
The complete original Star Wars trilogy
The Day the Clown Cried

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sony take my money

I need to see the 4K nugz

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

All those films were shot digitally in 4k, right? I think I might have solved the mystery.

Sony has 4K scans of Lawrence Of Arabia, Taxi Driver, The Fifth Element, Leon The Professional, Dracula, Ghostbusters, Men In Black, Glory, Spider-Man and many other movies that would have been a million times better than what they selected.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sony has 4K scans of Lawrence Of Arabia, Taxi Driver, The Fifth Element, Leon The Professional, Dracula, Ghostbusters, Men In Black, Glory, Spider-Man and many other movies that would have been a million times better than what they selected.

Maybe someone is secretly determined to torpedo the whole thing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Maybe someone is secretly determined to torpedo the whole thing.

You'd think they'd just cancel the project in that case since they control it.

Even that garbage hockey puck thing they sold came with The Bridge on the River Kwai and Taxi Driver.

(plus The Amazing Spider-Man; Bad Teacher; The Karate Kid (remake); The Other Guys; Battle: Los Angeles; Salt; Total Recall (remake) :barf:)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

You'd think they'd just cancel the project in that case since they control it.

Even that garbage hockey puck thing they sold came with The Bridge on the River Kwai and Taxi Driver.

(plus The Amazing Spider-Man; Bad Teacher; The Karate Kid (remake); The Other Guys; Battle: Los Angeles; Salt; Total Recall (remake) :barf:)

I'm saying that it's just one guy who is in a position of authority on the matter but is like "Man gently caress this poo poo! Enjoy Men in Black III fuckers!".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Here's your semi-annual Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion sale:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/50-off-the-criterion-collection/_/N-2gdp

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Here's your semi-annual Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion sale:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/50-off-the-criterion-collection/_/N-2gdp

I was trying to save money this month. Why are you doing this to me?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can just wait till the next one, it seems like there's one every other month!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rastor posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Salt
Hancock
Pineapple Express
Chappie
The Smurfs 2

This loving studio owns Bad Boys II.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

You can just wait till the next one, it seems like there's one every other month!

But what if I want to save now?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Another format in this, the twilight of physical media. Yes, let's buy Hancock.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What the gently caress is wrong with Hancock?!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

This loving studio owns Bad Boys II.
Bad Boys 2 is out on bluray this week.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wandle Cax posted:

It's second half is kinda dull.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Xenomrph posted:

Bad Boys 2 is out on bluray this week.

loving finally. Just in time for 4K to render it tardy to the party.

I'll move on to complaining about True Lies having nothing better than a non-anamorphic DVD from 1998.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It's second half is kinda dull.

True. But everything with Jason Bateman is gold. And Hancock trying to be a good hero. "I'm going to pick you up now - it's not sexual"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

I'll move on to complaining about True Lies having nothing better than a non-anamorphic DVD from 1998.

Get on the D-Theater train, buddy!

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=4516&d2=4518

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

She Wants The D (-VHS)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

loving finally. Just in time for 4K to render it tardy to the party.

I chalk that up to Cameron wanting to do a "proper" release of it, like he's done with the first two Terminator movies, Titanic, and Aliens. It's why we haven't gotten 'The Abyss' on blu yet either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I've got the Halloween set, and all I can say is loving buy the Halloween set.

And then dig deep into Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 because, wow, it's super weird and misguided.

Actually Zombie's Halloween 2 (the directors cut) is the best Halloween movie, and I still would like to read his original script which didn't even have Michael Meyers in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Zombie has made three absolute masterpieces of horror in the past ten years, nobody else working today is anywhere close. Only the iconic best of the best(Carpenter, Craven, Argento) can claim to have made three better films in the genre than The Devil's Rejects, Halloween 2, and Lords of Salem.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
How is there even this debate about the best Halloween film when it's obviously Season of the Witch?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Which Halloween has Busta Rhymes? I'm gonna give that one my vote.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
Just a heads up that Shout Factory will soon start replacing discs 1 & 3 in the new Army of Darkness set for free. If you have the set, you should email info@shoutfactory.com for more information.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Sopranos: The Complete Series even lower to $74.99

Deadwood: The Complete Series - $49.96

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

WELCOME TO ERF

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Red posted:

WELCOME TO ERF

Don't do this, he doesn't say that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Don't do this, he doesn't say that.

No, but my joke is that he's the same in every film.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's not. He's actually a good actor a lot of the time. Before he started messing around with scientology and giving his kids a vanity career, at least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Which Halloween has Busta Rhymes? I'm gonna give that one my vote.

Resurrection. Not only does it have Busta Rhymes, it has Busta Rhymes doing kung-fu on Michael Myers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

He's not. He's actually a good actor a lot of the time. Before he started messing around with scientology and giving his kids a vanity career, at least.

Not to get too far off topic, but how many actors nowadays really change their voice/tone/delivery/etc. from film to film? I just went to see The Martian, and enjoyed watching Matt Damon space-farm. I love the movie The American, because you get to see George Clooney build a gun and drink coffee. But Matt Damon and George Clooney don't change too much from one film to the next. They insert their personality and tone into their role, and if it's a good fit, it's considered good acting.

Will Smith is Will Smith. He's going to do his thing, for the most part. A lot of people like him (me included), but enjoying him and saying he's a good actor in a good movie are two different things. It doesn't mean he can't step outside of his comfort zone, and do something different, and do it well. I usually stay away from movies where Will Ferrell screams and falls down a lot, but I really love Stranger Than Fiction, for example.

Please enjoy Hancock if you enjoy the stylings of Will Smith. Please don't get defensive when someone goes, "Oh, it's just the usual Will Smith movie,", or uses a catchphrase to say as much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Will Smith at some point gave interviews where he spoke openly about his early career and how meticulous he was in crafting his image. I'm sure he realized early on that he would need to appeal to white people if he was going to be a big star, and once he hit on the perfect persona to do that he's been very hesitant to step away from it. Ali was a special case because come on, of course anyone would love to play that role. Pursuit of Happiness is very interesting though, I'd love to learn more about what was going on behind the scenes or in his life that led to him taking that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Gladney posted:

It still bums me out that he refused to do Django Unchained despite Tarantino doing everything in his power to get him on board after writing the role for him. Will Smith was amazing in I Am Legend (no joke)

Timby posted:

Resurrection. Not only does it have Busta Rhymes, it has Busta Rhymes doing kung-fu on Michael Myers.

Let me change my vote from best Halloween to best movie of all time.

• Locked thread