Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Logic posted:

I can run it on my 460gtx, everything on lowest settings or turned off if possible. It runs, it's not pretty but the frame rate decent at approx 20-30.
Thanks.

Hmmm... we can assume that as more patches, drivers, and mods come online that rate should increase since Bethesda games always seem to run like unoptimized poo poo upon release, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
How many quests does Scribe Haylen provide? I'm so sick of doing these loving fetch quests for her lazy rear end.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

are there any issues if you have a settlement with no settlers so i can have my own private house?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gridlocked posted:

Is Codsworth worth ditching Dogmeat to adventure with? The game seems like it want's you to have a companion (yes I know Lone Wanderer is an option)

Cogsworth does way more damage than Dogmeat in combat. Dogmeat however is pretty useful just for finding things and pointing them out to you, and for being a packmule. The big advantage with dogmeat is that you can still use lone wanderer. Cogsworth and other companions are more useful in combat but then you can't use lone wanderer. Also there's a perk that allows dogmeat to stun people in place so you can crit them easy which would make him better in combat, but he's still more of a support role than a direct fighter.

Other companions are probably even better in a fight than Cogsworth, so much better than Dogmeat. But I personally prefer to just shoot dudes myself, so Dogmeat is a good fit.

Also companions are invincible, or at least Dogmeat is. You can heal them if they go down but only if you need them right away, if you can just kill everybody they'll heal themselves.

ShadowMar posted:

are there any issues if you have a settlement with no settlers so i can have my own private house?

Nope, you can do that as far as I know. Most settlements will start out that way unless you build a radio tower.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:black101: To remove corpses you have to Scrap them for parts:black101:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

That's amazing. Also everybody saying that base building sucks can suck a dick, check out these pictures. You guys just have zero creativity.

Living inside a tiny shack with a bed, radio, TV, shitter, cabinet, and two paintings of kitties and one painting reminiscent of Bob Ross' work is called being fiscally responsible, not a lack of creativity :mad:

If i find another settler sleeping in my bed, I'm gonna start killing motherfuckers. And no, I shouldn't have to enter a command mode to tell Settler McGreenhorn not to sleep in the only proper shack/house. It should be pretty obvious that all the newbies get to sleep in the barracks-style housing across the street. Need to find a way to strap one of these fucks to those big spiky poles you can build.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MohShuvuu posted:

How many quests does Scribe Haylen provide? I'm so sick of doing these loving fetch quests for her lazy rear end.

They're Radiant Quests, so... Infinite?

She's just showing you where poo poo on the map is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

Nah, that doesn't seem to be any trouble at all. I've had that one garage next to Sanctuary stand abandoned ever since I found it and nothing ever came of that.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zaphod42 posted:

Cogsworth does way more damage than Dogmeat in combat. Dogmeat however is pretty useful just for finding things and pointing them out to you, and for being a packmule. The big advantage with dogmeat is that you can still use lone wanderer. Cogsworth and other companions are more useful in combat but then you can't use lone wanderer. Also there's a perk that allows dogmeat to stun people in place so you can crit them easy which would make him better in combat, but he's still more of a support role than a direct fighter.

Other companions are probably even better in a fight than Cogsworth, so much better than Dogmeat. But I personally prefer to just shoot dudes myself, so Dogmeat is a good fit.

Also companions are invincible, or at least Dogmeat is. You can heal them if they go down but only if you need them right away, if you can just kill everybody they'll heal themselves.

Nope, you can do that as far as I know. Most settlements will start out that way unless you build a radio tower.

They don't make it too clear Lone Wanderer works with Dogmeat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I can't stop house building

this poo poo owns

:yeah: Base building is super cool and those who hate it are dweebs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Why is the automatic combat rifle the best gun in the game and why is everything ballistic that come after it a massive disappointment

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Imagine how powerless you would have to be to not enjoy base building and weapon crafting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I left it behind as well. I don't personally see the point in using something that makes an already pretty easy game even easier.

I would use it more if I didn't have to keep going back to where I left it to do so.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

cool, im gonna look for a neat settlement to build a private home in then

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone know how to fix your screen getting stuck like this? I've already used that item that removes all addictions and slept for like four days. Only option is this or revert back an hour in time (gj Bethesda with the save system).

It started with some crazy storm near the coast and now it's clear skies but everything's stuck green.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Turtlicious posted:

I have 3 recruitment beacons, 13 beds, 18 water, and 15 food. Why isn't anyone else showing up to my settlement? (it has 6 people)

Codsworth is kind of funny, but he doesn't like it when you pick up random junk, and will chastise you for going through ancient lockers. He just wants you to be your pre-war self. I got kind of annoyed and traded him for the dog. Danse is a poo poo head too, but I'm in love with Piper. i hope she'll travel with me, because there's just something about her dumb bullshit newsies act that I just adore.

Piper doesn't take much convincing to follow you. Meet her outside, go into town, meet her at her office, give her an interview, and boom, she's a follower.

Also, her voice actress is quite pretty and marred to Brandon Routh IRL http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1835900/

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Are there followers aside from Dogmeat who don't judge for theft and pickpocketing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Godinster posted:

Are there followers aside from Dogmeat who don't judge for theft and pickpocketing?

Cait loves it I think?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm kind of bummed that it doesn't seem possible to wear cool-looking gear and have actual defense at the same time. I stole Preston Garvey's duster but it has like 50 less damage resistance (and no energy resistance) than my cobbled-together leather and raider gear. I wish they'd let you just wear armor "invisibly" with cool outfits.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, settlements.

What are the differences between an inhabited (Sanctuary) and one that isn't (gas station)? the Perk "Local Leader" seems to imply that there is some difference between them, at least the way I read it.

Also, what does"establish supply lines between settlements" mean? That the workshops share resources?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

How long did this take you? That is fuckin' boss.

I've put 16 hours into the game total so this is probably around 6-8. It's a lot of fun, I'll post some more pictures when I get home from class.

Turtlicious posted:

I have 3 recruitment beacons, 13 beds, 18 water, and 15 food. Why isn't anyone else showing up to my settlement? (it has 6 people)

I believe it's a chance per in-game day for new people to show up. I'd just give it some more time.

Fat Samurai posted:

What are the differences between an inhabited (Sanctuary) and one that isn't (gas station)? the Perk "Local Leader" seems to imply that there is some difference between them, at least the way I read it.

Also, what does"establish supply lines between settlements" mean? That the workshops share resources?

Inhabited settlements can produce food/scrap for you if people are working there. Local Leader lets you link your settlements so that they share food/water and workshop inventories, and lets you set up vendors.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 11, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ImpAtom posted:

Cait loves it I think?

Ah, I have finally found my follower then. Piper is cool and all but she's clearly a little too concerned with "doing the right thing" :rolleyes:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fat Samurai posted:

So, settlements.

Yes what you said. They appear to share resources stashed in workbenches for construction.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, its really annoying that I have to carry ~3 different types of guns to avoid complete ammo starvation. One of the few things I miss from New Vegas is the ability to make your own ammo, and it would've worked perfectly in this game since you're already crafting everything else. I kinda want to respec since my perks are all over the place, but I suspect beelining into one Core Type of weapon is going to be difficult if I have to rely on other types just to do damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Codsworth loved it when I painted my power armor Vault-Tec style. Preston got grumpy when I made a pistol automatic. Bad news for you Preston I'm going to fire bullets indiscriminately and you can't stop me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think I figured out why some people don't like base building. Not my vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbLq1N_KiQ

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Here's my John Fallout character:

Dude's named Vic Slaughter and is gonna be a stealthy sniper dude. I like being called Mr. Slaughter by Codsworth. :3:

P.S., post your characters. I'd like to see your Fallout Boy/Girl.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

It actually has nothing to do with minecraft and instead is because weapon crafting mods were extremely overwhelmingly popular for New Vegas.

So go gently caress yourself because gun crafting is super awesome.

What's it like being eleven years old?

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I suspect beelining into one Core Type of weapon is going to be difficult if I have to rely on other types just to do damage.
unless you do melee, which is so much better in this game(even though the actual gameplay of a melee character is harder).

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Machine gun turrets are piss easy to kill, even the high level ones.

They are also my primary source of 5.56 ammo. For those of you unaware the assault rifle single shot is actually a really loving good weapon. I swap between it and the battle rifle. Whichever one runs out of ammo goes on the back burner as I slowly collect a stockpile again.

EDIT: For the record I haven't found a gun yet that isn't good. Even the lovely little pipe machine pistol you can build at the start had it's place for a while (Though it's hopelessly outmatched by level 20 and got turned into some metal, screws, and wood).

The turret was definitely easy to kill, but I wasn't expecting the Skull Sentry bot to wake up and murder me with a minigun, rockets, and charge after I casually sauntered up to the residence.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm kind of bummed that it doesn't seem possible to wear cool-looking gear and have actual defense at the same time. I stole Preston Garvey's duster but it has like 50 less damage resistance (and no energy resistance) than my cobbled-together leather and raider gear. I wish they'd let you just wear armor "invisibly" with cool outfits.

On this topic: how noticeable is the damage resistance from armor? Am I going to be totally screwed if I run around in a cool duster instead of in piecemeal Mad Max armor? (I'm guessing yes, but hoping no.)

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Can dogmeat visit Vault 111 with you?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Harrow posted:

On this topic: how noticeable is the damage resistance from armor? Am I going to be totally screwed if I run around in a cool duster instead of in piecemeal Mad Max armor? (I'm guessing yes, but hoping no.)

If it's survival mode? Doesn't matter. Getting shot is a death sentence.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Thanks.

Hmmm... we can assume that as more patches, drivers, and mods come online that rate should increase since Bethesda games always seem to run like unoptimized poo poo upon release, right?

Yep that is Bethesda's way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schizotek posted:

If it's survival mode? Doesn't matter. Getting shot is a death sentence.

I'm definitely not on survival because I'm not playing a stealth build and I'm not suicidal. I'm on Hard for now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

You're gonna probably want to pick up like 2 ranks or so of the perk that gives you innate dr then

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

So, do I join The Institute or BoS? Power Armor always underwhelmed me, but energy weapons and neato tech don't.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Here's my John Fallout character:

Dude's named Vic Slaughter and is gonna be a stealthy sniper dude. I like being called Mr. Slaughter by Codsworth. :3:

P.S., post your characters. I'd like to see your Fallout Boy/Girl.

And before you ask "why'd you take a picture of your computer screen you idiot??" It's because I was texting the pic to a friend.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Has anyone figured out what the Utility Protectron at the Wicked Shipping Fleet Lockup does other than make funny voices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Harrow posted:

last I remember reading, damage resistance is out of 1000

• Locked thread