Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have eaten ramen every day for a few years now, also PB&J. I became homeless in Nov 2011 and make about $10 a week helping some guy out with heavy lifting.
I do get some veggies from a church group or 2 that picks up expiring food from a grocery store and distributes it to the homeless. So maybe a salad or 1/2 a cold cut from subway extra a week. $10 doesn't buy much though, and dollar store ramen goes a long way.
I wouldn't say that I have lost or gained any weight since I started this life. I bicycle everyday though and have done so for many years, so that may be a part of it.
I don't think I have low energy but most of my day is spent sitting on my rear end. But then I'm a gamer so most of my days pre-homeless was spent sitting on my rear end, hard to tell.
Maybe my teeth have degraded a little. I try to take vitamins but dollar store vitamins cant be the best quality.
So basically 2 packs of ramen and 2 PB&J daily for about 3 years now. With an occasional vegetable.
And still I feel basically ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Many of the people mentioned in this thread likely suffer from selective eating disorder to some degree. These people generally stick to very beige foods: chicken, starches, cheeses. It's not so much a supertaster/sensory thing as it is some sort of OCD or anxiety problem or something. These people don't just need nutritional advice, they also need the help of therapists.

One of my friends from Boston seems to suffer from this as strong smells tend to make her gag. She also suffers quite a bit of social anxiety at dinner party situations and the like.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

poolside toaster posted:

Of my four friends who smoke, three have switched to vaping, and two of those vapers have ended up in the hospital with pleurisy.
That's because vaping isn't really all that safe. http://gizmodo.com/why-e-cigarettes-might-not-be-as-safe-as-you-think-1589485508

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
OP have you ever been outside of a middle class first world environment? It'll blow your mind how people live.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
When I heard that lead additives are what make some paints sweet and why they're awful for children's toys and I realized my disposables were coming straight from china i stopped almost immediately.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

Many of the people mentioned in this thread likely suffer from selective eating disorder to some degree. These people generally stick to very beige foods: chicken, starches, cheeses. It's not so much a supertaster/sensory thing as it is some sort of OCD or anxiety problem or something. These people don't just need nutritional advice, they also need the help of therapists.

One of my friends from Boston seems to suffer from this as strong smells tend to make her gag. She also suffers quite a bit of social anxiety at dinner party situations and the like.

Yes, that is true and the attitudes a lot of people express in this thread don't help. Telling someone with SED to stop being a baby and eat is like telling someone with depression to stop being a baby and cheer up. It doesn't work that way.

I used to deal with this. I was probably born with it but my parents didn't help because they only fed me fast food and literally no vegetables because "I wouldn't eat it" (How can a 3 year old force you to go to McDonalds or whatever?). The only thing that tends to work is exposure, which can be really hard. What fixed it was working in a dining hall in college. Through handling different types of food, smelling them, and having unlimited access, I slowly added more things to my diet.

Now I can eat at least something at every dinner party, which is a big stress reliever. I mostly only still hate things that are truly disgusting, such as mayonnaise.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mathematics posted:

Yes, that is true and the attitudes a lot of people express in this thread don't help. Telling someone with SED to stop being a baby and eat is like telling someone with depression to stop being a baby and cheer up. It doesn't work that way.

I used to deal with this. I was probably born with it but my parents didn't help because they only fed me fast food and literally no vegetables because "I wouldn't eat it" (How can a 3 year old force you to go to McDonalds or whatever?). The only thing that tends to work is exposure, which can be really hard. What fixed it was working in a dining hall in college. Through handling different types of food, smelling them, and having unlimited access, I slowly added more things to my diet.

Now I can eat at least something at every dinner party, which is a big stress reliever. I mostly only still hate things that are truly disgusting, such as mayonnaise.

actually, it's not anything like that, at all. or being gay, or being persecuted in Hitler's Germany for being a Jew.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

'the only thing that tends to work is exposure' is literally just a vague passive-voice way of saying 'stop being a baby and eat your vegetables'

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Eien Ni Hen posted:

:barf::barf::barf:

Also, he could learn to make better (and healthier) burgers, fish, fried chicken, and Mexican food at home in his own kitchen. Sounds like he suffers from depression and God knows what else, though.

One of my former coworkers practically lived on Red Bull and refused to eat healthy food. (I offered her a slice of a Pink Lady apple once, and her response was, "I don't eat health food.") Shortly before I left that job, her hair had started falling out.

Unfortunately that's unlikely to happen. You're peg on the money about his mental health issues. They preclude him from doing pretty much anything fun or good for himself. Picky eaters/ocd will make people have utterly bizarre leaps of logic. For example: he won't eat food given to him by people trying to do nice things. But if it's from a restaurant worker, it's somehow clean.

When McDonald's reintroduced the breakfast menu he about jumped for joy because it meant " more variety "

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mathematics posted:

This sounds a little less like SED and more like an upbringing issue, akin to the Midwestern "I hated vegetables until I learned you're not supposed to boil them to mush" phenomenon.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

My younger brother is one of these people.

He actually used to eat anything we gave him until he got the flu at two years old and threw up a ton of vegetable soup. He hasn't touched a real vegetable since and is now approaching 21.

He lives mostly on pepperoni pizza, with French fries, toast, lefse (a potato flatbread) plain omelettes, and the occasional ham, beef or chicken nuggets. He drinks only Sunny D or Sprite.

He still lives with my mom who has been nothing but supportive about his eating habits, going out every day to Pizza Hut to bring him his pizza. She sees no problem at all with his diet and thinks he shouldn't be forced to eat something if he doesn't want to.

Once, my dad wanted him to try some garlic sausage. He likes garlic sausage, but this was a different brand than he had before, so my dad ended up chasing him around the house to get him to eat it. He was 13 at the time.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nessa posted:

He actually used to eat anything we gave him until he got the flu at two years old and threw up a ton of vegetable soup. He hasn't touched a real vegetable since and is now approaching 21.

Unfortunately your body tends to hard-code traumatic events like this as "oh god I just ate poison" when you vomit, and from thenceforth interprets that food as something nasty and toxic. It can take a bit of training and gradual exposure to get used to it again.

Something similar happened to me with white peaches when I was six, but it wasn't nearly that severe.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Yeah. My brother doesn't eat cheese (except on pizzas of course, because that doesn't count) or any beverages other than water because of a similar early-childhood illness.

Honestly it's quite good, especially the water thing, as he's kinda overweight already and doesn't need to drink any extra calories. His beliefs about what its like to be drunk are also pretty funny, in a way that would be ruined if he actually had a few beers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm not really a huge fan of the cheeses beyond your standard cheddar/Parmesan/mozarella types. But that will probably change. I used to have an issue with mushrooms and olives too as a kid, but I grew out of that (green olives took a while). Other than that I like most things. Brussel sprouts are loving delicious.

Fuckin hate anchovies though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geniasis posted:

Fuckin hate anchovies though.

See if you can find fresh ones instead of the lovely little salty ones that come in cans. The flavour is much, much milder, more like a normal fish.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

Unfortunately your body tends to hard-code traumatic events like this as "oh god I just ate poison" when you vomit, and from thenceforth interprets that food as something nasty and toxic. It can take a bit of training and gradual exposure to get used to it again.

Something similar happened to me with white peaches when I was six, but it wasn't nearly that severe.

But he refused to eat plenty of things that weren't even in that vegetable soup. No pickles, no fruit of any kind, no corn, and no potato that's not in French fry form.

He was just allowed to get away with it his entire life because he knew if he threw enough of a tantrum, he would get his way.

That's just poor parenting right there.

My mom never found it a problem because I was a picky eater as a kid. But I was a picky eater in the sense that I didn't want my food touching, but there were always some fruits and vegetables that I would eat. I never went hungry at family dinners because I loved carrots and broccoli and cauliflower and creamed corn. My dad made me eat a banana every day when I was little. There's also been a whole bunch of new foods I've exposed myself to since high school that I now adore. Sweet potatoes, mushrooms, water chestnuts, tofu, shrimp, onions, asparagus, eel.... I am not afraid to try a new food to see if I'll like it or not.

My brother though, refuses to even take one bite of something different because he's positive he'll hate it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PT6A posted:

See if you can find fresh ones instead of the lovely little salty ones that come in cans. The flavour is much, much milder, more like a normal fish.

Yeah, my experience has been limited to them as a pizza topping, so the lovely salty ones. In fairness, I suppose that's hardly a comprehensive evaluation. I shall try these "fresh" anchovies you speak of.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My coworker has given up caffeine because he was getting headaches between Pepsi doses. He's stuck to it, at work at least. I don't drink soda often, but I definitely couldn't give up tea.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

adorai posted:

Celery is good for three things:

1) dipping into a suitable dip, like ranch dip or hummus. Maybe peanut butter if you are into that sort of thing.
2) chopping finely and adding to some kind of salad. Garden, tuna, chicken, potato or egg are all candidates.
3) adding to soup.

It has little nutritional value, but does add a nice texture to salads, adds fiber to soup, and is a great delivery device for dipping stuff.

Allow me to introduce you to Cucumis sativus. Does the bolded but also doesn't taste like poo poo. Actually plays nice with the flavors you dump it in. Actually adds depth to the proceedings.

There is no excuse for Ima dump some celery init. Do not do this.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

celery is good

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

This sounds a little less like SED and more like an upbringing issue, akin to the Midwestern "I hated vegetables until I learned you're not supposed to boil them to mush" phenomenon.

Is this actually a Midwestern thing? I've never lived anywhere in the US outside of the Midwest but I always assumed it was a socioeconomic thing rather than a regional thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Soviet Commubot posted:

Is this actually a Midwestern thing? I've never lived anywhere in the US outside of the Midwest but I always assumed it was a socioeconomic thing rather than a regional thing.

Its also a generational thing, but it can be passed from parent to child. When I was a kid my mother served use a lot of canned vegetables, and the reason was that's what she was used to from her own childhood. Her parents were kids during the Depression and then in the 60's when they had my mother canned food was just a staple of most American diets.

She eventually figured out how much better the fresh stuff was(not so much that it was healthier, but that it tasted better) and made the change pretty easily.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's just that Midwestern cuisine is perceived as being less sophisticated than other American cuisines. It's seen as being cheap and easy to make, and especially less reliant on fresh ingredients and proper cooking techniques.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Soviet Commubot posted:

It is also very much a British thing. Boiled vegetables all day erry day :britain:

This more than anything is proof of why we need immigration, to save us from ourselves food-wise. You could give the average white British person the finest caviar in the world and they would find a way to boil it and put it on chips with gravy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Yeah. My brother doesn't eat cheese (except on pizzas of course, because that doesn't count) or any beverages other than water because of a similar early-childhood illness.

Honestly it's quite good, especially the water thing, as he's kinda overweight already and doesn't need to drink any extra calories. His beliefs about what its like to be drunk are also pretty funny, in a way that would be ruined if he actually had a few beers.

I'm not trying to be annoying, but here's another picky eater who doesn't drink. I never got responses from this threads selective eaters, but I'm still wondering if the "doesn't drink = more likely to be choosy about food" hypothesis holds up.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

MikeCrotch posted:

It is also very much a British thing. Boiled vegetables all day erry day :britain:

This more than anything is proof of why we need immigration, to save us from ourselves food-wise. You could give the average white British person the finest caviar in the world and they would find a way to boil it and put it on chips with gravy.

Admit it, you wanted India for the curry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm not trying to be annoying, but here's another picky eater who doesn't drink. I never got responses from this threads selective eaters, but I'm still wondering if the "doesn't drink = more likely to be choosy about food" hypothesis holds up.
For most alcohol is an acquired taste so there'll likely be a huge overlap between people who don't refine their pallet post toddler. I'd assume most people who don't drink do so for other reasons. Not certain about people who prefer bastardized American lagers though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My mom didn't learn to cook until she was in her late 20s. My grandmother (my mom's mom) didn't learn how to cook until she was in her 40s. Something about living with household servants pretty much your entire life (they weren't really rich, servants were really common in China).

I have two sisters and we can all cook pretty well. :shrug:

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah as someone said, alcohol is definitely an acquired taste. You'll generally find some type of alcoholic drink more palatable according to your personal taste, but it tends to take trying it a few times to determine that. I'm a fan of beer, but the first time I had a sip of my dad's lager I didn't go "holy poo poo give me more of this" like I probably did when I was first given chocolate.

Picky eaters are generally known for their lack of interest in acquiring tastes. There is a reason that the same foods tend to be over-represented among lists of food people don't like. They are all either things that can taste a bit weird until you get used to them (e.g.: raw tomatoes, olives, certain types of cheese, spicy food if you didn't grow up with it, bitter chocolate and licorice) or need to be cooked properly to not taste bitter or bland (e.g.: celery, broccoli, carrots). My suspicion is that non-pathological picky eaters just make up their mind about liking things quickly and have little curiosity about unusual tastes. Alcohol is also something that belongs on the list, but there are ways of consuming alcohol that sort of mask the taste, like alcopops and cocktails. Those types of drinks basically just taste like fruity sodas, so it's not surprising that they're popular among teenagers and people with no interest in building up the social capital associated with other types of alcohol. A very picky eater might not even be able to tolerate the slight aftertaste from those, either.

In my brother's case, like I said, he won't drink anything other than water. So unless they develop a water-flavored alcohol, he'll be sober for a long time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Part of what makes me doubt many individual instances of selective eating being some actual condition is the fact that many of these people will actively eat stuff like pizza. Pizza is extremely flavorful, and if the issue is that someone has trouble with overly-tasteful foods it doesn't make sense that they would be okay with something like that.

Nessa posted:

Once, my dad wanted him to try some garlic sausage. He likes garlic sausage, but this was a different brand than he had before, so my dad ended up chasing him around the house to get him to eat it. He was 13 at the time.

This reminds me of the time (some time in grade school, forget what year) my mom decided to pack a bologna sandwich instead of a PB&J. I was convinced that I had mistakenly picked up the wrong lunch and that someone had stolen my own.

ShadowCatboy posted:

This happened to me when I had to drink all this vile poo poo mixed with Sprite for a colonoscopy ~5 years ago. I still can't drink Sprite, because I immediately associate it with that unbelievably gross poo poo I had to drink the day before the procedure.

PT6A posted:

The chemical? No. Alcoholic beverages, such as beer, wine, and various sorts of spirits? Yes, immensely.

I think that even something like bad vodka could be enjoyed from the fact people associate it with feeling good, so there's that aspect of anticipation and what have you.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 13, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The heat of alcohol is definitely pleasurable to me and the taste has very positive associations with it.

I'm not a picky eater, though.

My coworker drinks rum and coke mainly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ytlaya posted:

I think that even something like bad vodka could be enjoyed from the fact people associate it with feeling good, so there's that aspect of anticipation and what have you.

No, bad liquor is gross even if I know it'll get me drunk. Good booze, particularly good beer and wine, would probably be enjoyable to me even if I didn't get intoxicated as a result.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ShadowCatboy posted:

I remember when I was around 4 years old eating some cold pizza and something about the sausage made me really sick. I can remember most of that incident and the "spoiled" taste nearly 40 years later.

I'm positive that played a role in some younger pickiness, certainly with not eating cold meat on sandwiches for about 15 years. To this day, if I'm going to make a sandwich that won't be eaten for a few hours (even if refrigerated/in a cooler/etc) I'll drop back to my "safety" of PB&J.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Yeah as someone said, alcohol is definitely an acquired taste. You'll generally find some type of alcoholic drink more palatable according to your personal taste, but it tends to take trying it a few times to determine that. I'm a fan of beer, but the first time I had a sip of my dad's lager I didn't go "holy poo poo give me more of this" like I probably did when I was first given chocolate.

Picky eaters are generally known for their lack of interest in acquiring tastes. There is a reason that the same foods tend to be over-represented among lists of food people don't like. They are all either things that can taste a bit weird until you get used to them (e.g.: raw tomatoes, olives, certain types of cheese, spicy food if you didn't grow up with it, bitter chocolate and licorice) or need to be cooked properly to not taste bitter or bland (e.g.: celery, broccoli, carrots). My suspicion is that non-pathological picky eaters just make up their mind about liking things quickly and have little curiosity about unusual tastes. Alcohol is also something that belongs on the list, but there are ways of consuming alcohol that sort of mask the taste, like alcopops and cocktails. Those types of drinks basically just taste like fruity sodas, so it's not surprising that they're popular among teenagers and people with no interest in building up the social capital associated with other types of alcohol. A very picky eater might not even be able to tolerate the slight aftertaste from those, either.

In my brother's case, like I said, he won't drink anything other than water. So unless they develop a water-flavored alcohol, he'll be sober for a long time.

Based on my own experience, I think this is right on the money.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Once, when I was young, my dad bought me a chicken sandwich from Burger King that (unbeknownst to us) had a big rotten chunk right in the middle of the chicken.

To this day, I cannot eat a fast-food chicken sandwich. I gag just thinking about it. :barf:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

One time when I was a kid I ate a marshmallow and fell down a flight of stairs, and I haven't eaten a marshmallow since.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
If I'm ever tasked with raising an infant, I'll now feel obligated to periodically feed it spoilt bacon and bitrex-tainted Mars bars.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ShadowCatboy posted:

I was hit by a car while riding my bike in sixth grade and ended up in the hospital with a skull fracture and concussion. For lunch that day I had eaten some Chinese leftovers including an egg roll, and after vomiting that back up in the hospital I haven't been able to eat an egg roll. To this day I still get a visceral gag reflex if I try.

Content: I have a friend who hasn't had any palate development since the fifth grade. His diet consists almost exclusively of meat and refined carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, white rice, etc.) The only way he'll eat a vegetable that isn't a potato is if it's been cooked down to almost nothing in some kind of soup. Also severely over-salts everything, to the point where the amount of salt a chain smoker uses would appear to be normal by comparison. In addition to all of that he also drinks an excessive amount of caffeine, to the point where he can't sleep without first drinking a cup of coffee and cannot stay asleep for more than about 5 hours because he goes into caffeine withdrawal and wakes up.

It's finally starting to catch up with him though - in his early 30s his hair is already starting to go gray, and at one point he was in the ER and his blood pressure was so high that the doctor called for another meter because he didn't believe the reading could be that high on someone in otherwise relative good health.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 14, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

in the South we mostly fry things, but it's also possible to get fresh foods other than corn out here so

most food's a cultural thing not an economic thing, you gotta be rich or in a big city to get exotic spices from all over the world but like 98% of traditional recipes out there are based on what someone who just got off working in a field for 12 hours could forage from their backyard. there's no excuse for boiled broccoli mush and corn casserole except that when people spend their whole lives somewhere where you can drive for a day straight and never see anything but flat farm out to the horizon they go a little funny.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
This thread reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8V1EZNI8A

Watching this makes it hard not to get angry. It's similar to when you see a kid refuse to do something because they don't want to. Except he's like 30-something with diabetes.

However, I love the part near the end where him and his girlfriend are eating and she is already 2 glasses of wine deep. He starts explaining that the pizza is disgusting (because it had some sort of veggie on it) and she just starts chugging her next glass.

• Locked thread