Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't care for Gumshoe either, but I thought the critters were neat. Some take a different approach to the 'biomechanical' gimmick, that I thought was weirdly evocative-- demons with plastic sheets for wing membrane, hellhound-like creatures with the business ends of power drills for tongues, massive, stop-motion horrors...

I haven't looked at the bundle, but I recall being annoyed by the impression that the scenarios in one of the sourcebooks were all pyrrhic, with horrible things bound to happen despite any success by the PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

I don't care for Gumshoe either, but I thought the critters were neat. Some take a different approach to the 'biomechanical' gimmick, that I thought was weirdly evocative-- demons with plastic sheets for wing membrane, hellhound-like creatures with the business ends of power drills for tongues, massive, stop-motion horrors...

I haven't looked at the bundle, but I recall being annoyed by the impression that the scenarios in one of the sourcebooks were all pyrrhic, with horrible things bound to happen despite any success by the PCs.

I love GUMSHOE's approach to clues and mystery design, but it is kind of a death spiral system apart from that, which makes it well-suited to one-shots and limited campaigns that end in the deaths or insanity of the PCs.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Danoss posted:

The Book of Unremitting Horror is worth the upgrade price alone. There are some seriously messed up things in that book. Some of it won't hit your table as it is in the book because player responses might be "no, no, no, oh god, no", but there's definitely ideas to steal, change or reapply to other things.

I very much liked the BoUH and I wish they'd go ahead and put out the second edition already. It has been in the works for a while.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

I very much liked the BoUH and I wish they'd go ahead and put out the second edition already. It has been in the works for a while.

Ooh, I hadn't heard this was happening! I'll add that to my mental list of things I'm waiting for Pelgrane to release.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Danoss posted:

Ooh, I hadn't heard this was happening! I'll add that to my mental list of things I'm waiting for Pelgrane to release.

Yeah, because it's wrong, apparently. I was thinking of Fear Itself second edition. It's a closely related product, but not exactly the same. I asked Robin Laws about it in April and he basically said it was a question for Pelgrane itself. Dave Allsop didn't even answer the e-mail I sent him about it.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, because it's wrong, apparently. I was thinking of Fear Itself second edition. It's a closely related product, but not exactly the same. I asked Robin Laws about it in April and he basically said it was a question for Pelgrane itself. Dave Allsop didn't even answer the e-mail I sent him about it.

Haha, that'd be why! I thought I'd missed something.

Fear Itself 2nd Edition is a possibility I have heard of. It's the only GUMSHOE game left that's not yet been brought up to the current standard. I can't recall where I heard it, but I think it's supposed to be getting a similar treatment to the Essoterrorists 2nd Edition (with more of a scenario focus as there isn't much setting info needed). If so, we'll be waiting until Gareth has finished with the Dracula Dossier extras at the earliest, since he'd be producing the scenario materials.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Danoss posted:

Haha, that'd be why! I thought I'd missed something.

Fear Itself 2nd Edition is a possibility I have heard of. It's the only GUMSHOE game left that's not yet been brought up to the current standard. I can't recall where I heard it, but I think it's supposed to be getting a similar treatment to the Essoterrorists 2nd Edition (with more of a scenario focus as there isn't much setting info needed). If so, we'll be waiting until Gareth has finished with the Dracula Dossier extras at the earliest, since he'd be producing the scenario materials.

I actually heard it has some scenarios based on Dave Allsop's now-defunct blog, which is why I got excited, but I have no idea what's going on with that guy anyway, so that could be totally wrong. The Dracula Dossier sounded cool.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bundle of Holding have revived their Old School Revival Bundle, which is available until 22nd of November.

$4.95 gets you Swords and Wizardry plus Eldritch Wizardry and Monster Book gubbins, a retro-clone of 0e D&D, Tomb of the Iron Gods, a 1st level module, the first chapter of Cyclopean Deeps, an underground campaign by Frog God Games, Demonspore, a 3rd-6th level module and finally the OSR Toolkit, a custom collection of a variety of free stuff - No-art versions of Labyrinth Lord and Lamentations of the Flame Princess, both retro-clones of 1e D&D, two guides on "Old-School Gaming" - Philotomy's Musings and Quick Primer of Old-School Gaming - One-Page Dungeon 2013, a collection of One Page Dungeons from a contest, first issues of Knockspell and Dyson's Dodecahedron, fan-zines for OSR and finally a .zip file of various printable graph paper that DMs/Players would find useful.

Beating the threshold (right now just under $13) gets you Adventurer, Conqueror, King, another 1e D&D Retroclone, Stonehell Dungeon, a mega-dungeon, Vornheim: The Complete City Kit and two LotFP modules, The God That Crawls and The Monolith From Beyond Space and Time.

Note that there were also One Page Dungeon competitions for the years 2012, 2014 & 2015, and some different folks did a competition back in 2009, all free, and there's seven more issues of the free zine Dyson's Dodecahedron.

Also, they've announced that they'll be doing a Old School Revival Bundle +3 soon later in the week.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Crosspostin' the second OSR bundle:

Base ($6): Slumbering Ursine Dunes (pointcrawl minisetting with a very Slavic theme), The Gnomes of Levnec (a low-level comedy adventure), Strange Stars (a retro/transhuman sci-fi setting), Weird Tales (D&D meets 30's pulp) and its "player's guide" Strange Trails.

BtA: Owl Hoot Trail (D&D meets westerns), Fever-Dreaming Marlinko (weird fantasy city setting/adventure), Beyond the Wall (young adult fantasy), and Red & Pleasant Land.

I highly, highly recommend getting at least the base collection. I own Strange Stars, and it's amazing. It manages to be a complete, inspirational, gameable sci-fi setting that mixes a 70's feel with modern sci-fi in only 32 pages. It's rules-agnostic, but it has OSR and Fate Core supplements coming out soon-ish.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Beyond the Wall is super good.
Red and Pleasant Land... well... it won some awards and stuff. but. that author credit. nope.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

inklesspen posted:

Beyond the Wall is super good.
Red and Pleasant Land... well... it won some awards and stuff. but. that author credit. nope.

Wish I noticed that before I beat the average for Beyond the Wall. Welp.

Does BoH still add in more games as the bundle goes on?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah they do, but usually not for a couple of days.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Covok posted:

Not every bundle, but it's a thing that still happens sometimes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Covok posted:

Red and Pleasant Land is a very creative book, worth reading, and some people hate the author with internet passion. Death of the author, yo; enjoy the product for what it is or give it to a friend.

Thoses scifi pictures really sell that setting. 70's fashion crossed with scifi is not an art direction I knew I wanted more of until now.

What is Fever-Dreaming Marlinko ?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The author of Red and Pleasant Land made a blog post where he listed me personally as one of his Salieris. His 36 Salieris, all of whom are "psychotic" and "sociopaths". So, you know, gently caress him.

I think if you have one Salieri, the problem could be with Salieri. If you have 36 Salieris, you should probably consider the problem might be with you.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Red and Pleasant Land is a very creative book, worth reading, and some people hate the author with internet passion. Death of the author, yo; enjoy the product for what it is or give it to a friend.

That... is not what death of the Author means at all.

How much dues Bundle of Holding give to the authors? Is it customizable? Otherwise people should probably hold off.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Mozart and Salieri were friends. Maybe he has 36 friends.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Loki_XLII posted:

That... is not what death of the Author means at all.

How much dues Bundle of Holding give to the authors? Is it customizable? Otherwise people should probably hold off.

As far as I can tell, 10% of the money is going to charity. So about 90% of the funds go to the authors (after processing fees). Good news is, ARaPL is locked behind the level up section, so you can just get the regular bundle without worrying about giving a shithead money.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Since nobody wants to name him, the author people are talking about is Zak Smith.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
FFG's annual holiday clearance sale apparently started two days ago and runs until the end of the month. There's quite a bit on sale, including stuff from the WH40K RPG lines, WFRP 3rd Edition products, Warhammer LCG packs and expansions, Anima RPG books, pre- and unpainted Dust models, a bunch of boardgames, and other miscellany.

It looks like the store might be experiencing some technical problems as a result of the increased traffic, but everything appears to be functional given enough time/attempts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are any of the Warhammer 3e stuff recommended/must-have if you just have the base set?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are any of the Warhammer 3e stuff recommended/must-have if you just have the base set?

I think it's all good, personally, but I really liked that system.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So anyone know any good RPG/board game Black Friday deals?

Pinnacle is having a huge sale until December 15th on a lot of their print stuff.

You can get all three FantasyCraft print books for $40 from CraftyGames.

DriveThru has a shitton of stuff on sale this weekend.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Man, I'm a little bummed out I missed the Esoterrorists BoH, and the OSR Bundles-o-H too. Oh well, my fault for sleeping on this thread.

Anyone have anything to say pro, con, or neutral on the current Indie Cornucopia +3 and/or Bundle of Fate +3 bundles?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The Clay that Woke and Urban Shadows from the Indie Cornucopia have been getting positive remarks in our play group. I've been through a few sessions of Urban Shadows, it's a good WoD flavored PBTA game, and I enjoy how everyone is meddling with everyone else and it encourages you going around dealing with different factions/players.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Atomic Robo is one of the best implementations of Fate, not least of all because it has a ton of examples of how things work in motion.

Part-Time Gods is basically Scion without the wonky White Wolf scaling and the added advantage of being able to be a god of whatever you want instead of being limited to a narrow list of ridiculously unbalanced powers.

The various Worlds of Adventure are all pretty neat, but they're already PWYW as is so it seems odd to make them part of the bundle.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
They keep putting Fate Core into the bundle and that's a free CC-licensed game, so I think it's just to make you think you're getting more for your money.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

inklesspen posted:

They keep putting Fate Core into the bundle and that's a free CC-licensed game, so I think it's just to make you think you're getting more for your money.

Well, I could see Core/FAE being in there as a convenience thing (they did it in the last two Fate bundles), but it just seems odd for the Worlds books

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
It also helps the Worlds of Adventure guys get some exposure and some money from the bundle, so that might be part of it too. Some of the Bundle of Holding stuff seems to be less "Here's a super awesome deal," and more "Here're some neat games you might not have heard of."

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

There's a 25% off coupon for Lulu, "HOLIDAYS25", according to a procoupon.com email I just got. Lasts until the 15th of December. Phone-posting, so I can't double-check. Got home to check it, and it works. Doesn't work on "eBooks or Services", though.

Whitehack, a kinda-retroclone with a bunch of modern additions, has been reduced on the site, with the booklet version being around £4.

Plus, Dieheart and one of the guys that works with Gnome Stew have recommendations for Lulu purchases.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 11, 2015

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
New Bundle of Holding is 13th Age; practically all of it: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/13thAge

It's a good game that breathes some life into the familiar d20 framework. The Bestiary and Eyes of the Stone Thief are just fantastic though. Incredible books.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
This may not be the correct place to ask, but I have a Google Play Book and I want to use it off line, or better yet print some pages from it to use for character sheets. Is there anyway to do this? My searches only offer really sketchy results that I have little faith in.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

from a cursory google i believe you can download google play books as pdf. you should be able to print directly from that. .epub might be trickier, but if you're not restricted in format, go for .pdf

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
To download a book from Google Play, you need to go to https://play.google.com/books, click the little three-stacked-dot icon next to the book title, and choose a Download option. Google Play books sometimes have DRM applied; if so, what you will download will be a provisioning file to load the DRM-protected file into an Adobe app. It is possible to remove the DRM; I don't know if explaining how to do this counts as :filez: or not. For example, this cool book is downloadable as EPUB and PDF, but both have DRM applied, as you can see under the "Content protection" header.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

inklesspen posted:

To download a book from Google Play, you need to go to https://play.google.com/books, click the little three-stacked-dot icon next to the book title, and choose a Download option. Google Play books sometimes have DRM applied; if so, what you will download will be a provisioning file to load the DRM-protected file into an Adobe app. It is possible to remove the DRM; I don't know if explaining how to do this counts as :filez: or not. For example, this cool book is downloadable as EPUB and PDF, but both have DRM applied, as you can see under the "Content protection" header.

The "pdf" is a .ascm file that I can't open unless I use Adobe Digital Editions and even that doesn't seem to work.

Care to message me with suggestions about how to proceed?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
For character sheets, I'd contact the author/publisher/whatever directly and ask for printable files. That sounds easier, and they're generally happy to help.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two big sales today:

The new Bundle of Holding is Mage 2e (a.k.a. The Best Version).

DriveThru is having a 50% off sale on all the Shadowrun 5e PDFs.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/DungeonWorld2

Most recent Bundle of Holding is full of Dungeon World stuff, including my excellent Inverse World and a bunch of other pretty cool setting books. If you ever wanted to expand on the default Dungeon World setting this is the bundle for you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gnome7 posted:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/DungeonWorld2

Most recent Bundle of Holding is full of Dungeon World stuff, including my excellent Inverse World and a bunch of other pretty cool setting books. If you ever wanted to expand on the default Dungeon World setting this is the bundle for you.

Isn't there a new edition of DW coming out really soon? Or am I thinking of Apocalypse World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Drone posted:

Isn't there a new edition of DW coming out really soon? Or am I thinking of Apocalypse World?

You're thinking of Apocalypse World.