Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like that when Zoom showed up, the commercial break cut-to was blue lightning.

Also notable is Cisco still being a fuckup when it comes to containing female metas, and Wells not knowing his name. (He probably thought Cisco's name was " 'Crisco' Ramon".)

Cisco was having fun with those cardboard standups: everyone else seemed to have a file photo while had a variety of poses. This show is aces when it comes to production design.

Earth-2 is very weird if it has VERTICAL TELEVISIONS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Golden Bee posted:

I like that when Zoom showed up, the commercial break cut-to was blue lightning.

Also notable is Cisco still being a fuckup when it comes to containing female metas, and Wells not knowing his name. (He probably thought Cisco's name was " 'Crisco' Ramon".)

Cisco was having fun with those cardboard standups: everyone else seemed to have a file photo while had a variety of poses. This show is aces when it comes to production design.

I bet they take verticals movies on their phones too. The darkest universe

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

I assumed Wells called him Crisco just to be a dick.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

AbsolutelySane posted:

I assumed Wells called him Crisco just to be a diiiiiiiiiiick.

You're doing it wrong, I fixed it for you

I've mostly been watching the show on Hulu, so the added length with the commercials made the episode feel like it was dragging on really badly when watching it live. Then we get Zoom popping up and painting the streets with Barry's face and it felt like it took two seconds.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Confused that people are acting like Zoom is so grimdark when RevFlash was presented like a horror movie villain too. Remember when he beat Wells bloody in the forcefield containment thing? (Before it turned out Wells!Thawne did that to HIMSELF?)

Sure he had a silly yellow suit and Zoom has claws, but otherwise they're presented as remarkably similar villains. The implied backbreak was a little more brutal I guess. But given that Cait and Cisco didn't notice a fractured spine (surely she ran some scans) I'm wondering if it's going to turn out to be psychosomatic or some bullshit.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 11, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Confused that people are acting like Zoom is so grimdark when RevFlash was presented like a horror movie villain too. Remember when he beat Wells bloody in the forcefield containment thing? (Before it turned out Wells!Thawne did that to HIMSELF?)

Sure he had a silly yellow suit and Zoom has claws, but otherwise they're presented as remarkably similar villains. The implied backbreak was a little more brutal I guess. But given that Cait and Cisco didn't notice it a fractured spine (surely she ran some scans) I'm wondering if it's going to turn out to be psychosomatic or some bullshit.

You mean in show? None of them actually saw Thawne outside of Team Flash.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

But given that Cait and Cisco didn't notice a fractured spine (surely she ran some scans) I'm wondering if it's going to turn out to be psychosomatic or some bullshit.

If IF this is the case it'll be such bullshit. :mad:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They already did the psychosomatic thing with his speed in season 1.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr Beens posted:

I still don't really get why they had to have the mock fight

For the same reason that Barry didn't just tell Patty he was blind last episode: because it led to a fun, silly scene.

Stop thinking of this show in terms of reality. It has no interest in being realistic or depicting true to life people making sensible decisions. The characters in The Flash are very obviously television characters, who make decisions that make no sense logically, but that lead to interesting, entertaining, or dramatic situations for the purposes of entertaining the viewer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

They already did the psychosomatic thing with his speed in season 1.

They also already did the evil speedster thing in season 1.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Sure he had a silly yellow suit and Zoom has claws, but otherwise they're presented as remarkably similar villains. The implied backbreak was a little more brutal I guess. But given that Cait and Cisco didn't notice a fractured spine (surely she ran some scans) I'm wondering if it's going to turn out to be psychosomatic or some bullshit.

There was a really conspicuous cracking sound when Zoom punched him in the back, I don't think it's psychosomatic. It should heal, though, since Barry still has his powers.

The biggest issue I have with the Zoom plot is that a lot of it feels like a Season 1 retread. We've already seen a speedster beat the poo poo out of Barry, and, the awesomeness of Zoom aside, this all feels incredibly repetitive. I wish they'd found something/someone else to be the season big bad and saved Zoom for another season.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They fix that by not having the team beat him, just have him disappear into the speed force or whatever for a little bit. Bring him back in 5 years.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:corsair: My name is Barry Allen, and I was the fastest man alive. To the outside world I'm an ordinary forensic scientist, but secretly with the help of my friends at STAR Labs, I got my rear end handed to me and managed to get crippled in my first one on one fight with a metahuman speedster. I hunted down the man who killed my mother but in doing so, I assumed I could take on anyone 1 on 1, and vastly overestimated my fighting abilities. Now I am the fastest man on 2 wheels. I was, THE FLASH!

This was good, thanks.

On another note, I'm curious what Barry will tell Patty about his new condition. It's gonna be another awkward-as-gently caress lie ("I... uh, I got hit by a car!") and Patty will get ultra suspicious and start digging.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

greatn posted:

Henry skipped town and didn't want out of jail because he was ashamed of cheating on Nora, which he was going to confess the night she was murdered. He had an affair with Joe's estranged wife, resulting in the birth of Wally West, aka Zoom

To be honest, the thought of Zoom being Wally definitely crossed my mind. You've got mentions of earth 1 Wally, and we haven't seen him yet. He could be stacked like Zoom.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Where was Jay in the last episode?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Spacebump posted:

Where was Jay in the last episode?

Sulking in the corner because he's prideful.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

You've got mentions of earth 1 Wally, and we haven't seen him yet

Wally: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2920533/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only thing that annoyed me about this episode is that it sounded like they wrote off yet another character in a rather hasty way. Linda is now apparently "staying with friends at Coast City" according to Cisco. I hope she's back rather soon because it seems like a total waste to let her in on Barry's secret only to get her written off.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

The only thing that annoyed me about this episode is that it sounded like they wrote off yet another character in a rather hasty way. Linda is now apparently "staying with friends at Coast City" according to Cisco. I hope she's back rather soon because it seems like a total waste to let her in on Barry's secret only to get her written off.

She's actually in SuperGitmo just to make sure Barry's secret stays safe.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I was rewatching the last two episodes of last season since I was pumped from last night's episode, and when it got to the part, it reminded me of this quote from earlier in the thread:

Phenotype posted:

"By the way, this weird portal opened up in front of me a few months ago, so just for shits and giggles, I threw my hat in there. Have you guys seen it? Did it unnerve any bad guys who were nearby that might be familiar with me?"

Anyway, I laughed again, so good job Phenotype

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mikeraskol posted:

I thought he can see through the rifts.

I'm imagining Zoom watching the whole fight through the rift with a :what: expression and just walking away shaking his head.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The main reason Zoom is scarier than Reverse Flash from my perspective is Reverse Flash was more experienced and a better fighter than Barry, but seemed to concede Barry was actually faster than him, and he needed him to activate the time portal. RF could beat Barry because he knew all the speed tricks and knew how to fight. He could even go toe to toe with the Arrow without his speed.

But he knew Barry was faster and would grow into someone more powerful than him. And RF never had any intention to actually kill Flash because he needed him.

But now Barry knows the speed tricks, now he's a decent fighter, now he's faster than ever before, and Zoom just swatted him aside like he was nothing. And Zoom has EVERY intention of killing him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

The main reason Zoom is scarier than Reverse Flash from my perspective is Reverse Flash was more experienced and a better fighter than Barry, but seemed to concede Barry was actually faster than him, and he needed him to activate the time portal. RF could beat Barry because he knew all the speed tricks and knew how to fight. He could even go toe to toe with the Arrow without his speed.

But he knew Barry was faster and would grow into someone more powerful than him. And RF never had any intention to actually kill Flash because he needed him.

But now Barry knows the speed tricks, now he's a decent fighter, now he's faster than ever before, and Zoom just swatted him aside like he was nothing. And Zoom has EVERY intention of killing him.

No he doesn't. Otherwise he'd have killed him.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

But now Barry knows the speed tricks, now he's a decent fighter

No he isn't. He gets his rear end kicked whenever it comes to any type of close combat fight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phenotype posted:

"By the way, this weird portal opened up in front of me a few months ago, so just for shits and giggles, I threw my hat in there. Have you guys seen it? Did it unnerve any bad guys who were nearby that might be familiar with me?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

That's what he was about to do before Cisco shot him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

He was about to when he got hit by a speed sapping dart and decided to be cautious and get the gently caress out of there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah. I forgot about that part. Good call.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Barry's lucky Zoom has a taste for theatrics. Of course, he's proven he can reach out and touch anyone, anywhere, so I'm not sure why he's using Earth-2 thugs to take on Barry. I mean, that wasn't even a fight. Considering Cisco's dart didn't do anything to his speed in any appreciable way, I'm not so sure he was planning on killing Barry. Barry really should be spending time in Star City training.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Didn't Zoom hit Barry with a speed-sapping dart earlier in the fight? Or did I imagine that?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm thinking the dart took a few seconds or minutes to take effect so he got the gently caress out. He did hit Barry with it earlier so he couldn't fight back.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That only unnerved his past self.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It was pretty funny to see Barry start to lap the headquarters to build up his lightning charge while Zoom just stands there. Like, for us I'm sure Barry'd've been too fast to even bee a blur, but for Zoom it must've been like watching a high school kid running on a quarter mile track - just slowly plodding along.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Aphrodite posted:

Goddammit, Cisco! Double tap!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Drifter posted:

It was pretty funny to see Barry start to lap the headquarters to build up his lightning charge while Zoom just stands there. Like, for us I'm sure Barry'd've been too fast to even bee a blur, but for Zoom it must've been like watching a high school kid running on a quarter mile track - just slowly plodding along.

That did come across as a "What the hell does this idiot think he's doing..?" moment where Zoom just wanted to see what the hell the end-point for it was first before stomping him flat. Since Jay never had pulled off the thunderbolt hadouken thing IIRC it makes sense Zoom didn't know exactly what it was.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It may be just coincidence but...

John Wesley Shipp

2010 Batman: The Brave and the Bold Professor Zoom Voice only

Still going with him being Zoom

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zebulon posted:

That did come across as a "What the hell does this idiot think he's doing..?" moment where Zoom just wanted to see what the hell the end-point for it was first before stomping him flat. Since Jay never had pulled off the thunderbolt hadouken thing IIRC it makes sense Zoom didn't know exactly what it was.

And then he figured it out like a boss and just ran with it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Drifter posted:

And then he figured it out like a boss and just ran with it.

Slammed that poo poo down like a boss. Reverse Flash/Thawne just wanted to use Barry as a means to an end. He hated him, but he needed him. Zoom wants to steal his speed, humiliate him, and cripple him. That's the big difference and what, so far, makes Zoom the far more intimidating villain.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 12, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Zebulon posted:

Slammed that poo poo down like a boss. Reverse Flash/Thawne just wanted to use Barry as a means to an end. He hated him, but he needed him. Zoom wants to steal his speed, humiliate him, and cripple him. That's the big difference and what, so far, makes Zoom the far more intimidating villain.

But not as funny of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

They did it this way so when she next appears we can have drama over "Is she Earth 1 Linda or Earth 2 Linda?"

• Locked thread