Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pogi

bacalou posted:

buy me fallout 4

*sighs, pulls out wallet*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacalou

pogi posted:

*sighs, pulls out wallet*

yessss

:whip::shepspends:

Ace of Baes
I played fallout for for 6 hours because i have tomorrow off and just the community building portion of the game is better than a lot of games in their entirety.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

i really like how they've solved the problem with crafting from the previous games, like, fallout 3, you'd occasionally pick up the odds and ends, vacuum cleaner bits, spools of wire, whatever, thinking, 'well, I'm close on my inventory capacity anyway but I might need this for crafting later', then inevitably you'd look at a recipe to craft something and then look over at your pile of junk and no, you don't have that thing.

breaking it into components (which are basically currency), you actually start to get a feel for the worth of random garbage laying around instead of just like 'hey, a vacuum cleaner, that's used in (wiki's it) two recipes, cool'

it's still completely full of bethesdaisms of random groups of poorly defined people being like 'whoa, a new guy... I trust this new guy a lot, I really respect you and you are obviously special in some way. please solve all our problems for us' happening basically constantly, but so far worth the price of admission for the one area I fought through and got to the end where there was a fancy gun on the table and I go whoa!

*looks past the gun*

A office desk fan! That's got like six screws! awesome! *grabs fan and goes back to base*

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i played fallout 4 for an hour and i hate it because it makes no effort to ease this 50s mom waking up 200 years in the future into her hellish new reality, and she just spends 10 minutes going "is everyone dead????" and then she's super stoked about getting to shoot up some raiders with a minigun and yelling RAAARRR DIE while fighting a deathclaw

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i know that sounds rad when i say it out loud but it's actually really lame an awkward and for fucks sake i cannot stand bethesda's writers

Pomp fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 11, 2015

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i waltz into town having never killed a man and i just start capping raiders and offering to kill the rest

the entire sequence after waking up needs, like, two more hours and some room for the PC to get used to things. i do not care about the rest of the game it's whatever, but when you set up a character with a prewritten history+make them voiced it makes things hella awkward when they're suddenly hella into murder

how hard would it have been to have like some dudes in the town before concord that attack you to get stay at home mom a chance to learn that she's gonna have to murder people before having me solve the problems of random strangers

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 11, 2015

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 1 - You get wrapped up in some poo poo while trying to find a dumb chip, some people try to kill you

Fallout 2 - You've lived in the wasteland your entire life

Even Fallout 3 understood this basic poo poo, even if that was also really bad in other ways.

Fallout New Vegas - You've worked in the wasteland forever and a half, you know the deal

Fallout 4 - You wander into town and start murdering people unprovoked with no knowledge of the situation. You scream like a berserker every five seconds. You jump into some power armor and kill seven more people, and scream some more. You were looking at your weird rear end baby with your husband less than 30 minutes ago, by your own perception.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
voiced role playing PCs are also the devil, the sole exception being Geralt.

chat wheels are bad too

----------------

dogdisaster

by Lowtax
i played until I got to diamond city and had to deal with that person whose personality was ripped straight from newsies. it's a really fun & beautiful game I just wish bethesda was better at writing people

----------------

precision

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

Fallout 4 - You wander into town and start murdering people unprovoked with no knowledge of the situation. You scream like a berserker every five seconds. You jump into some power armor and kill seven more people, and scream some more. You were looking at your weird rear end baby with your husband less than 30 minutes ago, by your own perception.

i mean i guess i'm not seeing the problem here

----------------

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna play tales of vestiria instead of fallout 4 because I love anime and anime accessories

poverty goat

I named my character Kirk Johnson, and now I have voiced NPCs calling me Mr. Johnson

fuck. marry. t-rex

If I was a 50s housewife I'd be extremely stoked to go to sleep and wake up free and allowed shoot miniguns.

It's probably not quite like that though

precision

by VideoGames

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

If I was a 50s housewife I'd be extremely stoked to go to sleep and wake up free and allowed shoot miniguns.

It's probably not quite like that though

It actually kinda is, if you pick the right dialogue options.

----------------

poverty goat

the password to that console was goons

bacalou

I mean you're a repressed 50's housewife with a dead baby its a miracle you don't kill things sooner

poverty goat

joke_explainer

Yeah, Pomp, I agree on all points there. I mean the abduction is certainly an inciting incident for a traditional Hero's journey sort of thing, but the protagonist basically mutters to them self for a few minutes then immediately sets about murdering anybody whose name is red in their little computer screen. I think it's another product of market research, like the capability to become the leader of most factions even though it makes no sense, they found fans overall played skyrim more or less completely ignoring the plot so they decide to prioritize the wandering murderhobo sim over the story.

bacalou

'settled down and tried to move on, eventually murdered by raiders in their sleep.' doesn't make for a great premise tho

bacalou

it's the post-apocalypse, you gotta wrap that football shoulder pad around your bubbling flesh, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

bacalou

i mean yeah it would be more 'human' if your character lost control upon looting the umpteenth bathroom only to come face to face with their grizzled visage in the dirty mirror of a bygone era but lets be real. we're talking about a game where giant irradiated mutants act as quarterback for a thermonuclear device intent on stuffing itself down your precious existence. have you seen the vault instructional survival series? they knew what they were getting into.

poverty goat

imo its completely reasonable for Kirk Johnson, sole survivor of vault 111 to look down at his blood-soaked hands after murdering some raiders for their clothes and think, poo poo, 200 years ago i just had poop all over my hands from changing diapers and that loving sucked and cait is more woman than my anonymous dead wife ever was. i mean, he's a war hero in the story right? he's probably ptsd'd as gently caress (war, war never changes) and onyl really knows how to function in the midst of a maelstrom of death. when life gives you lemons, make lemonade from the flesh of those who oppose you

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 11, 2015

Ace of Baes
Yeah the pc is a war veteran who sees his wife and possibly baby, gets out of the vault and sees everyone he knows is dead and his home is destroyed, dont think its unreasonable for him to go into murder mode.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
your pc can also be the non war vet woman

----------------

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
What's the difference?

----------------

arnbiguous

Ace of Baes posted:

I played fallout for for 6 hours because i have tomorrow off and just the community building portion of the game is better than a lot of games in their entirety.

even tho i have no interest in that type of game at all & got really mad at the quest that made you do the settlement building crap i realize it is probably a really great implementation of it if you enjoy that sort of thing

"first, do no harm"
- james spock

joke_explainer

bacalou posted:

'settled down and tried to move on, eventually murdered by raiders in their sleep.' doesn't make for a great premise tho

Nobody is saying she should have tried to move on, it's just normal people don't try to gun down the first humans they see after something like this. Like, cops that shoot someone in the line of duty have mandatory psychological counseling and stuff. Progressing from a lawyer and a mom to a cold-blooded killer should be more complicated. Who told her the rules of the wasteland? Nobody, she just starts killing people right away. Literally the first human beings you see, you are expected to murder. You don't even have the option to shout and try to reason with the people you find.

Ace of Baes

joke_explainer posted:

Nobody is saying she should have tried to move on, it's just normal people don't try to gun down the first humans they see after something like this. Like, cops that shoot someone in the line of duty have mandatory psychological counseling and stuff. Progressing from a lawyer and a mom to a cold-blooded killer should be more complicated. Who told her the rules of the wasteland? Nobody, she just starts killing people right away. Literally the first human beings you see, you are expected to murder. You don't even have the option to shout and try to reason with the people you find.

You have the option to not kill the wateland raiders but you die, similar to what would happen irl

----------------

bacalou

literally all of the vault-tec media provided paints the wasteland in a hostile and unforgiving light. considering the timeline of events leading up to the great war and the society which they live in it's easy to assume they're used to ultraviolence and disassociative to a high degree. most people didn't even head for the fallout shelters when the sirens started going and here's this woman who just watched her entire life and family crumble to dust around her. she's probably in shock and in survival mode, running off of the only bits of information provided to her: the vault tec nuclear prep films.

to quote the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. perception video: "these frightening menaces will come in all different shapes and sizes, and pose an immediate threat to your survival. you must learn to deal with these dangers."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw21X2jKwCM

i mean poo poo, they specifically made VATS for ease of murderin'

bacalou

TIL which of us do not have the moxie to withstand total atomic annihilation

joke_explainer

I don't think some cutesy instructional videos are going to turn anybody into a hardened murderer. The game makes basically no attempt at having a coherent story and it's silly that you're trying to do the writer's work for them, filling in the gaps with stuff from the literature. Besides, in my play through my lady says 'What's Vault-Tec?' so her total exposure to the vault tec propaganda stuff is pretty low. When she exits the vault, she's like 'Is there anyone left alive?', showing she's clearly scared she won't find any living humans. Then she finds them and murders them. And a dude trusts her for no reason, opening the door for her (he doesn't even keep his weapon out in case you turned out to be a hostile raider as well, he's just like 'Hey, thanks for murdering those people, come on in.') One of the raiders should have tried that. 'Hey, I killed all the raiders, open up minuteman dude!'

fuck. marry. t-rex

I'm assuming the raiders are decked out in fallout raider style too though?

Just in my housewife dress gonna go hanging with the local desert punkz

fuck. marry. t-rex

Well anyway I think Bethesda games suck especially Skyrim

bacalou

they're good if you like to explore and kill

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Skyrim is good and fun to play.

----------------

Moola

drilldo squirt posted:

Skyrim is good and fun to play.

yarp

bacalou

joke_explainer posted:

I don't think some cutesy instructional videos are going to turn anybody into a hardened murderer.
they would if you lived in their universe! see: everybody who has ever come out of a vault

joke_explainer posted:

The game makes basically no attempt at having a coherent story and it's silly that you're trying to do the writer's work for them, filling in the gaps with stuff from the literature.
but they wrote the literature too...

joke_explainer posted:

Besides, in my play through my lady says 'What's Vault-Tec?' so her total exposure to the vault tec propaganda stuff is pretty low. When she exits the vault, she's like 'Is there anyone left alive?', showing she's clearly scared she won't find any living humans. Then she finds them and murders them.
hey now, she may have said those things, but you pulled the trigger. she was just minding her own business and you had to make her a murderer... hosed up...

joke_explainer posted:

And a dude trusts her for no reason, opening the door for her (he doesn't even keep his weapon out in case you turned out to be a hostile raider as well, he's just like 'Hey, thanks for murdering those people, come on in.') One of the raiders should have tried that. 'Hey, I killed all the raiders, open up minuteman dude!'
you're the main character and they weren't tho. same thing with link and his pottery destruction habits, or master chief surviving a fall from orbit. they're idealized heroes set in a world more entertaining than ours with lax rules. i'm not going to play a game where the goal is to convince a bunch of raiders not to shoot me just so we can all live happily. they're not real, it's fun to shoot things. i'm not going to question the motivations of a puppet i control. she's killin' those raiders because i want to, just like she's drinkin' out of that radioactive toilet and stockpiling snack cakes in a giant pyramid.

bacalou

after dragging a toy bear over my father's face for over 15 minutes in fallout 3, i slammed my controller down and screamed 'MY IMMERSION'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
little excerpt from joke explainers journal:
"May 25th, 2009
Still can't figure out why people never go to the bathroom in movies. "

----------------