Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Covok posted:

I feel a lot of people on the internet have this opinion about the shows they like.

Trunks and Janemba, as well as me. That's what they need going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

projecthalaxy posted:

Toriyama's a chump, Goku's a chump, I'm a lot better

praise be to toriyama but i also agree with this

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
About halfway through this fan film and it seems Pretty Neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM20wwzl4Ds

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

zelah posted:

About halfway through this fan film and it seems Pretty Neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM20wwzl4Ds

I will never understand the world's obsession with a live action DBZ movie.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There literally has never been a good fan film and there never will be

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I regret ever posting this. It was OK until Tall Vegeta showed up. Damnit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A Steampunk Gent posted:

This is not true.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Cell looks kind of poo poo and Super Sayian Trunks looks silly.

Also, I skipped through and have no idea why Trunks is fighting Perfect Cell.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is that Vegeta standing near Bulma when she's holding the baby near the end? I just sort of flicked through this with the sound off so I'm not sure. If so, that's one goofy looking Vegeta.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

This is not true.

Name one good fan film

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Andrast posted:

Name one good fan film

Deus Ex the Recut

Somehow it's also a machima and it's still good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ojd5cNDekc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Name one good fan film

There was that Mega Man one a few years back that was really solid; other than some janky CGI on the fully non-human Robot Masters. And then there was the POWER/RANGERS thing from a little while ago, that (opinions on treatment of the subject matter notwithstanding) was incredibly well done.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I stand corrected

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Andrast posted:

Name one good fan film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That stretches the definition of "fan film" just a bit, having the original actor and all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Enourmo posted:

That stretches the definition of "fan film" just a bit, having the original actor and all.

read the description it's a "fan fiction"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Comments re: the film

1.) Trunks going super saiyan was hilarious
2.) What was cell's motivation
3.) Tall vegeta with chest hair

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

in Dragon Ball Super instead of going Super Saiyan Blue there will be a dramatic reveal during the Frieza fight where Vegeta takes on his new form Tall Vegeta

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

edit: whoops

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm into the DBZ portion of the manga now, and uh...what the hell was Viz thinking with this translation?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Raxivace posted:

So I'm into the DBZ portion of the manga now, and uh...what the hell was Viz thinking with this translation?

Yeah I brought that up when I was going through the Manga a few months ago. It's completely bizarre, Piccolo speaks in complete gibberish for the first few chapters, then he goes back to normal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

mycot posted:

Yeah I brought that up when I was going through the Manga a few months ago. It's completely bizarre, Piccolo speaks in complete gibberish for the first few chapters, then he goes back to normal.

I think they're trying to transliterate his haughty evil guy speech and just not doing a good job

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Raxivace posted:

We are the ones who will cause the trouble

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Okay now they're just throwing dialogue from Edward G. Robinson movies onto Piccolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK0mjeIky0Y

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That translation sure is something :psyduck:

How did he speak during the 23rd world tournament?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The typesetting is rear end as well.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Viz translate the first chapters of the Saiyan Saga as their first foray into DB? I'd chalk it up to them not finding their footing just yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Petiso posted:

That translation sure is something :psyduck:

How did he speak during the 23rd world tournament?

He just spoke in clear English in the 23rd World Tournament.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

HD DAD posted:

Didn't Viz translate the first chapters of the Saiyan Saga as their first foray into DB? I'd chalk it up to them not finding their footing just yet.

Yeah. They also make a joke about DBZ during the 21st tournament's Giran match.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Steampunk Gent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDiQXhYIKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
THIS video and the comments TO this video manage to encapsulate every single loving thing i hate about the english dragonball fandom

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Race Realists posted:

THIS video and the comments TO this video manage to encapsulate every single loving thing i hate about the english dragonball fandom

This might be intentional, but both of these links lead to the same place.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

The use of Internet names in addition or in place of real names (that video, all of the DBZA stuff) really bothers me.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
again, why do western (particularly american) dragon ball fanboys all have this imaginary grimdark bloody tears vision that is so inappropriate for this franchise?

why do nerds think grimdark poo poo is mature?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Race Realists posted:

again, why do western (particularly american) dragon ball fanboys all have this imaginary grimdark bloody tears vision that is so inappropriate for this franchise?

I don't really know the answer to question one except for DB being much more free with destruction and death than more American cartoons. Might be a comparison thing. Compared to other shows, it was very free to have a character destroy every person on earth in a single attack while everyone looks on in horror. Not that I agree, but give people time to forget the details and they might make this kind of image in their heads.

Nerds think grimdark is mature because they don't understand maturity and think being morose, depressed, and hosed-up is mature. In other words, they never grew up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't wait for the Dragon Ball Civil War when the correct thinking people annihilate all "fans" who hate Super and DB comic relief.

I stand with Satan.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You are shown the "Goku and Piccolo are given their driving test" episode. The sword waits above your head for your reaction.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can't wait for the Dragon Ball Civil War when the correct thinking people annihilate all "fans" who hate Super and DB comic relief.

I stand with Satan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I stand with Satan.

i too can't wait for the aids population to reach 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Race Realists posted:

1. More people in America are familiar with Z.
2. Even still, King Piccolo could be pretty dark. But Z took it one step further with children being murdered in the Freeza Saga and then the Cell Saga being the darkest arc in DB history. That's what, 500 episodes of pretty serious poo poo? Also Cell Saga tends to be a lot of people's favorite. It's my favorite from Part 2, to be sure.

• Locked thread