Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm sure, because as soon as I took the wire and put another electrical tower down, the subsequent lights in the chain lit up.

For all intents and purposes, the siren and other similar devices, even though they have an electrical piece on top that would allow power to transfer, it doesn't actually transfer power.

You can attach more than one wire to a junction pole, right? I would hope you can at least run another lead from the pole to power the siren without breaking the chain. Still, they should have made it work like you had it set up to start with.

E: someone was asking how to wire the generators. If you need to get power inside a structure, build one of the small horizontal junctions and attach it to the side of the house. Wire it to the generator / junction pole, and then anything you place inside within a certain range of the junction will get power automatically.

titties fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

titties posted:

Hover over it and hold the button for TAKE until you grab it, press TAKE again to drop it.

Thanks!

Also, can you feed Dogmeat stuff or do anything like encourage him with "Good boy!" and stuff?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Captain Fargle posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/171/

Annnnd here we have it folks! One day since release.

I'm surprised someone didn't have one from the beta ready to go.

titties
May 10, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Thanks!

Also, can you feed Dogmeat stuff or do anything like encourage him with "Good boy!" and stuff?

If you can I haven't seen how and it is breaking my heart.

I mean you can talk to him and get him to sit up and beg but you can't even give him a loving raider head as a treat when he does.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

TontoCorazon posted:

Bandanas, collars, armor not sure if there's anything else.

I tried giving him a fedora but the game didn't allow.
:argh: loving Bethe$da

How did you dress him up? If I give him stuff it only ends up being in his inventory.

Also a small thing I really like about companions in this game - when they follow you they don't stay glued to you all the time. They run around a little bit (seemingly especially when you are in friendly territory) and sometimes interact with the environment somewhat. It seems to be small thing but it makes a world of difference in making them seem ~more alive for my immersion~. When I went back with Codsworth to the Vault to clean it out, he even had a reaction to seeing the dead spouse, a rare and precious thing for Bethesda to pay attention to details like this. Generally the pathfinding seems to be better, too. NPCs navigate obstacles you build into their way in the bases just fine.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."
Still not getting the crafting in Sanctuary. I choose the item I want to make Furniture-Chairs-Chair, I have more than enough of the ingredients but the E choice is unavailable. I press V while at the station and no change. I go to room in a house and press V and nothing? Could someone dumb it down key by key for me please?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Notorious QIG posted:

Hmm I had a few instances of chrome.exe running. They're closed, still gonna wait until this cache verification is done though.

Currently at 50% :negative:

I set mine to go when I woke up this morning. Left for work at noon it was at 35%. Just had my wife check for me, 51% :negative: The pain...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3sdyu7/the_old_ini_tweaks_still_work/

them old beth ini tweeks still work if you're wanting extra fps.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I set mine to go when I woke up this morning. Left for work at noon it was at 35%. Just had my wife check for me, 51% :negative: The pain...

It just finished, all files validated successfully :/

Retrying now that Chrome is closed, and if that doesn't work I'll try adjusting the iPreloadSizeLimit in fallout.ini and will report back.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

How do you make lights inside houses turn on? I attached a conduit to the outside but I have no idea how to power the lightbulb inside.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fallout 4 crashed my computer and now it won't start any more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MMD3 posted:

Is this the best way to defend a settlement? I can't figure out how I'm supposed to defend these giant sprawling settlements with entrances on all sides. What's the point of putting up guardposts if I don't know it the raiders will just come from the rear of the base or something? It'd be nice if all of the settlements had some kind of geographic chokepoints.

Sanctuary does, it's an island which is helpful but being in the northwest I assume most of the attacks will come from the southeast, which has a stone wall along the river blocking most of that approach. There are also ruined houses and hedges forming a wall around most of the actual street.

If you block off the spots where the ruined houses were (or don't salvage them) and put some turrets on the stone wall pillars I would bet you'd catch 90% of attacks.

That said the game's yet to attack any settlement so I dunno if that's a thing.

titties
May 10, 2012

Cactrot posted:

How do you make lights inside houses turn on? I attached a conduit to the outside but I have no idea how to power the lightbulb inside.

Place the light near the conduit. It should come on by itself.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Frankston posted:

Fallout 4 crashed my computer and now it won't start any more.

I heard it kicked somebody's dog once, too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vault 81 overseer subtitles refer to my character as a HE but my character is a she :(

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It seems to be working fine now :shrug:

So try closing all Chrome processes in task manager if you're having trouble with loading I guess.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Vault 81 overseer subtitles refer to my character as a HE but my character is a she :(

yeah the whole female player character thing is so obviously an afterthought, it's actually kinda depressing

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What's a good difficulty setting for a challenge? I'm playing at Hard right now and it's still way too easy as a low-level character.

Also, are the terminals glitchy? Some entries stop arbitrarily, like it'll say "But don't try to" and then stop. There doesn't seem to be a way to read the rest of an entry.

Never mind, have to hit Enter to continue. Seconding the other posters in saying that the UI/control interface for PC is really wonky and confusing.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I made the mistake of putting Mama Murphy's special chair out in the open in the middle of the road. She promptly sat her old rear end down on it and wouldn't get up, apparently she even sleeps in it.

Since this was an eyesore for my settlement, I threw a frag grenade at her. It blew her out of the chair, enabling me to move it to a more convenient location. Since she's essential, she got back up shortly afterwards, sitting in the new location.

Classic Bethesda fix! :allears:

Also, I like how, early in the game, if you get her all the drugs she needs, she tells you of visions that foreshadow the main quest, and a perk that makes you take less damage from Kellogg.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

OwlFancier posted:

Sanctuary does, it's an island which is helpful but being in the northwest I assume most of the attacks will come from the southeast, which has a stone wall along the river blocking most of that approach. There are also ruined houses and hedges forming a wall around most of the actual street.

If you block off the spots where the ruined houses were (or don't salvage them) and put some turrets on the stone wall pillars I would bet you'd catch 90% of attacks.

That said the game's yet to attack any settlement so I dunno if that's a thing.

Yeah, it seems like the strategy at the other settlements would be to put all of the beds in just a handful of the houses and then fence in only the houses with beds in them... just feel like I should wait to find out more about how the attacking works before bothering to build up defenses. Building walls all the way around an area like Sunshine Tidings doesn't feel like it would make a lot of sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

botany posted:

yeah the whole female player character thing is so obviously an afterthought, it's actually kinda depressing

I really thought it wouldn't be that way, given that they share the narration in the launch trailer, but yeah, in actual play, it definitely feels like the male player character is "canon."

They could've made things at least a little better by a) not having the player character do the opening narration and b) not assuming a career background for the player character at all. That would allow them to have the game to have the storyline it clearly wants to without downplaying either the male or female PC.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Austin in vault 81 says he'll show you around, but then he glitches out saying LETS GO SEE THE OVERSEER, then doesn't do anything, so I go to walk to the overseer office and it immediately fails the sidequest. Lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

William Bear posted:

Since this was an eyesore for my settlement, I threw a frag grenade at her.

I love this sentence so much.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Captain Fargle posted:

This is great. Really great. But you know what would make it better?

BEING ABLE TO BUILD A ROOF THAT DOESN'T HAVE HOLES IN IT!

I hear ya buddy. I hear ya.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
It can rain in this new world of Fallout 4. Good job, Bethesda, realizing that it only didn't rain in the other games because they were in loving CALIFORNIA!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I went to Corvega at like level 5 and was a little frustrated to discover that every loving raider has like a half dozen molitov's and 100% aim at long range apparently. I must have used 15 stimpacks clearing that place out.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I watched someone else play through steam streaming but he didn't know/couldn't tell - was ron perlman the news reporter at the beginning when the alarms go off but NOT the guy who says war never changes (who was the main male character?)?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tr33 posted:

I hear ya buddy. I hear ya.

Apparently there are books you can collect to unlock more buildables, I dunno if that includes new wall/roof types?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

I really thought it wouldn't be that way, given that they share the narration in the launch trailer, but yeah, in actual play, it definitely feels like the male player character is "canon."

They could've made things at least a little better by a) not having the player character do the opening narration and b) not assuming a career background for the player character at all. That would allow them to have the game to have the storyline it clearly wants to without downplaying either the male or female PC.

Yeah, it's kind of dumb that the female character is a lawyer and leaves the vault with weapons knowledge.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I think Sanctuary is now a safe place to live, I have left it being defended by 8 Gun Turrets, 3 of which are laser turrets, and I have set up a few guard posts which my laser toting Settlers are wandering back and forth to, and I spent more time than I should have building walls everywhere so there's only one point of entry, the main bridge, which my own house is near, and has 4 gun turrets facing it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Remember the stats for Mass Effect: even if you do great effort making both genders work well, your customer will inevitably choose Default Male by a vast majority.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently there are books you can collect to unlock more buildables, I dunno if that includes new wall/roof types?

Lawn furniture. loving lawn furniture.

Pink Flamingos everywhere!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MMD3 posted:

So I went to Corvega at like level 5 and was a little frustrated to discover that every loving raider has like a half dozen molitov's and 100% aim at long range apparently. I must have used 15 stimpacks clearing that place out.

Part of me thinks its annoying but part of me thinks it's exactly what I do when I find something really tough or dug in, kite it and throw petrol bombs at it until it dies.

So I don't feel I'm allowed to object when the game does the exact same thing to me when I take cover.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LumberingTroll posted:

Thats because he doesn't know what he is doing, he is trying to attach prefabs with roof sections to parts that have floors for the upper part (multi-level) Floors cannot connect with roof sections.

This is the building I have been working on.

It does indeed increase the Legendary spawn, been in mumble with some goons, one of them is playing on very hard and dosen't get them nearly as often as the rest of us do.

Quoting this from way back when cause it gave me an idea of how the building poo poo works. It's still clunky, but these images help guide what is/isn't possible.

I kind of like the blockhouse look.

edit: I take back everything even lining up a door to work is painfully furstrating considering that things will snap and click when you don't want them to and won't when you do.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 12, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's apparently a vendor exploit for infinite money, I've not tried it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3sedrg/unlimited_caps_exploit_glitch/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have an i7-2600k overclocked, 16gb RAM, a 980Ti and a 1TB SSD and the loading times are still a bit rough.

Ugh, then how long are you whining about then? Havent had a load time longer than a minute and im on a less powerful machine

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What the gently caress is the point of the Institute? What are they trying to do? Why do they think the Synths aren't sentient but also call them the future of humanity or whatever?

Gender talk: Dunno why they fuckin' bothered letting you pick a female protagonist if they were gonna

1) Have the intro be from the perspective of the guy

2) Make the dude a soldier and the wife a lawyer

3) Make the dude, who is canonically a soldier, act like a twit when the dudes come to steal your baby in the beginning.

Like they went through all this trouble with this established background in order to give the player weapons knowledge and poo poo but also went out of their way to declare that the wife is a lawyer. Would it have been that difficult to just have them switch depending on who you picked? Whoever said it's an afterthought is spot on. And like it wouldn't even be an issue if they just didn't bring it up.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 12, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If I give my settlers weapons do I have to give them Ammo too? Cause I don't have a lot of that poo poo laying around on Survival.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Minor spoilers for a random encounter:

I found this guy Clinton and his daughter being attacked by Gunners. I killed all the gunners, but I can't get any dialogues with Clinton or his kid. Did my game bug out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Saw this mentioned earlier in the thread and wanted to see if you could actually do this. Dogmeat is the master of unlocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrSkmBMebA0

• Locked thread