Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bobbilljim posted:

Can someone give us the low down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T42I9jM9vS0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

It was so upsetting.

bobbilljim posted:

I might get some of the details wrong, but as I understood it, female Green and Labour MPs were calling a point of order on Key for accusing Labour of backing rapists yesterday. More specifically, they were identifying themselves as victims of sexual violence who were upset by Key's comments and asking for it to be ruled unparliamentary.

Metiria Turei, Jan Logie and Poto Williams all spoke, then Carter refused to let Catherine Delahunty and Nanaia Mahuta to speak, and finally he ejected Marama Davidson for trying to speak. At that point, the Greens and many of Labour's female MPs walked out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Hipkins seeks assurance that security won't impede anyone.

Simon Bridges seeks insurance.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
What makes it even more despicable is that it was calculated by Key. Saying what he did yesterday changes the focus from his failure to negotiate with Turnbull to the opposition being (rightfully) offended. Like, from media coverage you wouldn't know that Labour is wanting them to stay in Australia.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

Privileged, old white man told female victims of sexual assault to shut the gently caress up about their experience. Followed by said women walking out on Question Time.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

emminou posted:

It was so upsetting.

I might get some of the details wrong, but as I understood it, female Green and Labour MPs were calling a point of order on Key for accusing Labour of backing rapists yesterday. More specifically, they were identifying themselves as victims of sexual violence who were upset by Key's comments and asking for it to be ruled unparliamentary.

Metiria Turei, Jan Logie and Poto Williams all spoke, then Carter refused to let Catherine Delahunty and Nanaia Mahuta to speak, and finally he ejected Marama Davidson for trying to speak. At that point, the Greens and many of Labour's female MPs walked out.

Vagabundo posted:

Privileged, old white man told female victims of sexual assault to shut the gently caress up about their experience. Followed by said women walking out on Question Time.

Wow. Disgusting.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
It's almost as if the right wing capitalist man who assaulted a woman in her workplace over a week does not think highly of women.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's almost as if the right wing capitalist man who assaulted a woman in her workplace over a week does not think highly of women.

Yeah except this was the Speaker, Carter, not Key.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Taitale posted:

Yeah except this was the Speaker, Carter, not Key.

Key is refusing to apologise for his remarks because he's a shitbird. Part of the debate is trying to get Carter to force Key to apologise.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Another thing they're doing to confuse the issue is conflating crimes committed by people on Christmas Island with those committed by all 500-something NZers facing deportation, in an attempt to stop any sympathy for the people hanging themselves and being beaten bloody by prison guards

(via Andrea Vance)

compared to

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
It's pretty loving brilliant the the media has reported on this so terribly that now most of the NZ population apparently thinks Key is game-fully battling to prevent the deportation of rapists and kiddy-fiddlers to New Zealand, while Labour is welcoming them back with open arms. Interesting that Stuff.co.nz today has also elected to publish an article in praise of Dr Warren Farrell, and Erin Pizzey, two prominent anti-Feminist figures who argue that sexual and domestic violence reporting is biased in favour of women.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It's pretty loving brilliant the the media has reported on this so terribly that now most of the NZ population apparently thinks Key is game-fully battling to prevent the deportation of rapists and kiddy-fiddlers to New Zealand, while Labour is welcoming them back with open arms. Interesting that Stuff.co.nz today has also elected to publish an article in praise of Dr Warren Farrell, and Erin Pizzey, two prominent anti-Feminist figures who argue that sexual and domestic violence reporting is biased in favour of women.

got links? i haven't bothered to watch the news in a long time and i only give stuff and the herald website a very cursory glance over

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQjtmuf2RMQ

Good speech, nice to see the piece of poo poo PMC Mark Mitchell defend his friend Mike Sabin

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
How do I vote in the flag referendum if I'm based overseas?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
http://www.elections.org.nz/events/referendums-new-zealand-flag-0/voting-overseas-flag-referendums

emminou
May 25, 2006

Of the forty New Zealanders being detained on Australia's Christmas Island, one is a criminal who has been convicted of indecently assaulting a child.

However none are rapists or murderers.

Obviously how they're being treated is awful no matter what crimes they've committed, but this makes Key's comments even more inexcusable.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I hope nobody's actually going to believe him and not vote for Labour just because Key said that.

At least the people who'd believe him weren't exactly going to support anything other than National anyway?

Also as someone mentioned earlier what he's saying doesn't make any sense either, is he saying that these hypothetical "rapists and molesterers" should be brought back into New Zealand?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Looking forward to the John Oliver segment on this latest disgraceful embarrassment from Key.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Like the hair pulling this story seems to have some international legs. Stuff is reporting that the walkout was in several of the UK dailies while also reporting in a second story that Key is unrepentant and in fact doubling down.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The problem is the attention span of the average person has already been exceeded on this one; the last thing most people will remember about this is that Labour supports rapists.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Exclamation Marx posted:

What makes it even more despicable is that it was calculated by Key. Saying what he did yesterday changes the focus from his failure to negotiate with Turnbull to the opposition being (rightfully) offended. Like, from media coverage you wouldn't know that Labour is wanting them to stay in Australia.

Someone's been learning from old mate Lynton Crosby and his dead-cat-on-the-table tricks.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

What a shocking and out of character response from the leader of our country.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/73964931/John-Key-unapologetic-over-rapist-remarks-says-abuse-hurled-at-him

Everyone is forgetting that Key is the real victim here.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Look at that smug twat.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

John Key is a no good jerk and I'm not afraid to say so.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

There is some pretty disgusting double speak here including this gem "...claimed he was the only person standing up for victims of crime" - these guys on Christmas island are victims for fucks sake. It's doesn't matter that you have gone to prison then gotten out, you can still be a victim.

John key is really saying that he prioritises another countries citizens who have already had justice delivered to then over new Zealand citizens who he is elected to represent.

What a oval office.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

What a headline.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hopefully he continues to be abused.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCv3sl5GUag

Good shoot @ 4:25

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Haha loving rekt

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Davis laying down the critical burn and then dropping the mic. :vince:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

The thumbnail says it all #rekt

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That was amazing. I love how incredibly quiet and nervous Carter is there as he gives the reason why he's trying to shut down the question, since the very fact he has to do so has, hmm, a lot of meaning that one could take away from it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Van Dine posted:

That was amazing. I love how incredibly quiet and nervous Carter is there as he gives the reason why he's trying to shut down the question, since the very fact he has to do so has, hmm, a lot of meaning that one could take away from it.

Both Carter & other National MPs have inadvertently broken suppression a number of times, bumbling around trying to explain why opposition questions/speeches are out of order:

from 1:00 to about 4:00

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

broken-rear end discourse

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

broken-rear end discourse

Where is this mythical beast of rational political discourse? People (on the internet anyway) keep talking about it as if it's a thing that actually exists but all politics everywhere appear to be and appear to always have been just a bunch of people shouting irrational poo poo toward eachother.

Like is there a country where parliament (or equivalent thereof) actually works as intended, with people debating their views and compromising on policy and poo poo? I have never seen evidence that such a thing can even happen; indeed the very nature of human beings seems to make it unlikely if not totally impossible.

What you posted looks identical to every political argument I've ever seen regardless of nation, policy or the people involved.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Slavvy posted:

Where is this mythical beast of rational political discourse? People (on the internet anyway) keep talking about it as if it's a thing that actually exists but all politics everywhere appear to be and appear to always have been just a bunch of people shouting irrational poo poo toward eachother.

Like is there a country where parliament (or equivalent thereof) actually works as intended, with people debating their views and compromising on policy and poo poo? I have never seen evidence that such a thing can even happen; indeed the very nature of human beings seems to make it unlikely if not totally impossible.

What you posted looks identical to every political argument I've ever seen regardless of nation, policy or the people involved.

It's the exact opposite of reality

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Just changing topic for a second here for some important news:

gently caress you Burger Fuel for loving up my order and giving me a disgusting loving peanut satay thing instead of the thing I actually ordered you fucks. I just wanted a 1/3rd pounder and goy gave me something that tasted like like someone urinated on some dirt, let alone you could have killed me had I happened to be allergic to peanuts because the burger was in the one labeled for what I ordered.

gently caress you!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's the exact opposite of reality

Right, so what exactly is the point of attempting to force something that is clearly never going to happen and can't happen because of the intractable, cunty nature of people? Why not just toss all that poo poo in the bin and try to come up with something completely different?

Politics reminds me of WW1. "If we just keep trying the same thing over and over again it's bound to work sooner or later!"

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Just changing topic for a second here for some important news:

gently caress you Burger Fuel for loving up my order and giving me a disgusting loving peanut satay thing instead of the thing I actually ordered you fucks. I just wanted a 1/3rd pounder and goy gave me something that tasted like like someone urinated on some dirt, let alone you could have killed me had I happened to be allergic to peanuts because the burger was in the one labeled for what I ordered.

gently caress you!

I am literally on the way to burger fuel now and I won't hear you besmirch the peanut piston, prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

I am literally on the way to burger fuel now and I won't hear you besmirch the peanut piston, prick.

It's loving trash and you're also trash!

• Locked thread