Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just learned that, apparently, Marshmallow has support for visual voicemail.

I'm on AT&T with a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow. I do not see a visual voicemail tab in the dialer -- how do I enable it?

Now if only I could teach my parents to text me instead of leaving voicemails...

Use Google voice for your voicemail. It integrates with the dialer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm on AT&T with a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow. I do not see a visual voicemail tab in the dialer -- how do I enable it?

Now if only I could teach my parents to text me instead of leaving voicemails...

Not that a native solution wouldn't be better, but Android phones on AT&T have had visual voicemail for years.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Super Dude posted:

How did Google sacrifice the upgrade ability? Until the Nexus One, they weren't involved in making any phones. If anyone is to blame, it's HTC/Samsung/Motorola since they struck the agreements with carriers about letting the carriers control updates, and everyone had to follow after that. Google had no way of telling the carriers or manufacturers not to allow that until they entered the game, at which point it was way too late.

What were they supposed to do about it even if they wanted to change things? If they told the carriers that Google should control the updates, why would the carriers have any reason to sell Nexus phones? Do you have some sort of inside information on what the Google execs thought process was 5-6 years ago?
VVVV

A company that cares about its customers would not allow carriers to endanger user data to close a sweetheart deal with the carriers to have them push the latest android shitbox du jour in their stores. You can sell phones unlocked, apple actually does this a lot!

In negotiations with the carriers, Google decided information security was second to moving units, hence the only way to have a safe phone is to run a linux VM with adb and fastboot and flash the latest image from the internet. Oh right, and if you're like many low income households without a computer and use smartphones to perform most of the functions a personal computer used to, get hosed.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If you go into the dialer settings and go to Calls > Voicemail, there's a toggle for visual voicemail.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Getting a new phone tomorrow and I'm going to lose all my wifi passwords.

Is there anyway to find them on my current phone?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm going to lose all my wifi passwords.

no you're not, assuming you're going from android to android.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

the nicker posted:

Well, Nexus to Nexus anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the nicker posted:

I went from Nexus 6 to Note 5 with the tap migration method thing and lost all mine, so that doesn't work.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Grumpwagon posted:

Well, Nexus to Nexus anyway.

really? i'm not talking about the tap-to-transfer thing, i'm talking about google's standard restore thingy.. is that only on nexii? (i havne't had a non-nexus in a really long time)

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Merv Burger posted:

If you go into the dialer settings and go to Calls > Voicemail, there's a toggle for visual voicemail.

I am in the Calls > Voicemail menu now and I see no such option :(

EDIT: Note that I am not in any way set up to use Google Voice. I am trying to get this to work with AT&T directly.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I went from Nexus 6 to Note 5 with the tap migration method thing and lost all mine, so that doesn't work.

I went from Nexus 5 to Nexus 6P by signing in with my @gmail.com account on the new device. Once everything was done downloading all my wifi passwords had migrated over. (Unfortunately, not all settings were - I still had to manually put a few preference back into place.)

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 11, 2015

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

the nicker posted:

Yea I am. Maxx to Nexus 6P.

Thanks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea I am. Maxx to Nexus 6P.

Thanks.

You likely didn't tell the Maxx to backup to google when you initially configured it.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Subsidized 2 year contract vs. AT&T Next

Could someone give me a tl;dr nutshell summary of the pros and cons of contract vs. pay-full-price-overtime? The AT&T Store rep said that 2 year contracts are more expensive and was pushing AT&T next, but... not sure if I can take his word for it. Would AT&T Next be a good option incase your phone breaks and you're out of warranty? :psyduck:

Would this article still be relevant today? http://www.cnet.com/news/why-at-ts-new-pricing-plans-are-only-a-bargain-for-some/

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 11, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Subsidized 2 year contract vs. AT&T Next

Could someone give me a tl;dr nutshell summary of the pros and cons of contract vs. pay-full-price-overtime? The AT&T Store rep said that 2 year contracts are more expensive and was pushing AT&T next, but... not sure if I can take his word for it. Would AT&T Next be a good option incase your phone breaks and you're out of warranty? :psyduck:

Would this article still be relevant today? http://www.cnet.com/news/why-at-ts-new-pricing-plans-are-only-a-bargain-for-some/

You can run your scenario through the ATT Value Calculator: http://attcalc.com/next/ to see what option you should take.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

nimper posted:

You can run your scenario through the ATT Value Calculator: http://attcalc.com/next/ to see what option you should take.

This is exactly what I needed! Thanks. :)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am in the Calls > Voicemail menu now and I see no such option :(

EDIT: Note that I am not in any way set up to use Google Voice. I am trying to get this to work with AT&T directly.

That's fine, you'll just have to use their kit-kat era VVM app. By the way, Google Voice can literally only deal with your voicemail. You don't have to use it for anything else. Just choose "do not use Google Voice for any calls" during setup and let it handle your AT&T calls (voicemail). Useful for archiving and gives you the dialer option.

But if you insist on AT&T, it doesn't integrate with the dialer. They don't like unlocked devices.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

hotsauce posted:

That's fine, you'll just have to use their kit-kat era VVM app. By the way, Google Voice can literally only deal with your voicemail. You don't have to use it for anything else. Just choose "do not use Google Voice for any calls" during setup and let it handle your AT&T calls (voicemail). Useful for archiving and gives you the dialer option.

But if you insist on AT&T, it doesn't integrate with the dialer. They don't like unlocked devices.

I've been considering using Google Voice for some time now, maybe this will finally put me over the edge.

I'll read up on how to integrate with it. Thank you for the tip, I didn't realize I could avoid using it for calls -- I don't want to deal with a new phone number.

(I haven't read up on Google Voice much. Maybe it has never needed you to take a new phone number; I'm just ignorant here.)

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

The only AT&T customization applied to the AT&T-sold Nexus 6 is that there's an AT&T logo silkscreened on the back, and AT&T put their own noisy bootscreen into the /oem partition. The /oem partition itself is a method that Google has afforded carriers so they can customize without jacking with the /system partition and requiring lots of carrier customization in the system itself.

Well, apparently AT&T also sold modified Nexus that
  • disabled WiFi Hotspot, unless you've paid for the AT&T Tether plan
  • sim locked the phone to AT&T

These required changes outside the /oem partition.

kitten smoothie posted:

Otherwise, it doesn't matter where you bought that Nexus 6 -- could've bought it from Google, Motorola, or even Verizon. You put an AT&T SIM in, and now your update schedule is subject to the lowest common denominator, AT&T.

If you bought it from Google, then, Contact Google and ask them to fix this. It's likely to have better results than posting here. Also, could you please post Google's response here? I'm very curious to read their officially stated reasons.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Trammel posted:

If you bought it from Google, then, Contact Google and ask them to fix this. It's likely to have better results than posting here. Also, could you please post Google's response here? I'm very curious to read their officially stated reasons.

Wait, are you saying that any Nexus device, even ordered from Google directly, will get updates more slowly simply because of the presence of an AT&T SIM? Even over WiFi? Even manually searching for updates?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Wait, are you saying that any Nexus 6, even ordered from Google directly, will get updates more slowly simply because of the presence of an AT&T SIM? Even over WiFi? Even manually searching for updates?
For the N6 (as bolded above), if the SIM is in, I believe the answer is "yes".

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Trammel posted:

Well, apparently AT&T also sold modified Nexus that
  • disabled WiFi Hotspot, unless you've paid for the AT&T Tether plan
  • sim locked the phone to AT&T

The hotspot restrictions are actually in AOSP and show up in the device specific repo. A Play Store Nexus 6 honors carrier restrictions on tethering, too. I have a carrier-free N6 and it checks with Verizon as to whether I can tether.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
It seems really weird how Google is handling orders. It seemed like people who preordered May still be waiting. However, I ordered a 6p last night and apparently, despite choosing ground delivery, they're shipping it overnight today to arrive tomorrow. Pretty cool I guess, but then what's happening to people still waiting for older orders?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Chu020 posted:

It seems really weird how Google is handling orders. It seemed like people who preordered May still be waiting. However, I ordered a 6p last night and apparently, despite choosing ground delivery, they're shipping it overnight today to arrive tomorrow. Pretty cool I guess, but then what's happening to people still waiting for older orders?

Is it a particular configuration that is not being shipped? The 32GB 6Ps were going out a week or so before 64GB ones. And it seemed like the Ice colored ones of any type weren't shipping yet when my 64 graphite shipped.

joeshmoetogo
Mar 20, 2006

Got a 5x. Loved it. Returned it and got a Turbo 2 in hopes that battery life after Marshmallow + Doze would be insane. Removed outer, factory installed screen protector/layer to get rid of Verizon logo (not that annoying) and replaced with tempered glass screen protector. Dropped phone getting out of car, tempered glass spider-webbed but moto screen is physically fine... unfortunately I now have flickering colors, dead pixels, and a line through my screen. Win.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I have a Hangouts question/problem. It won't use my default notification sound for SMS. When I'm texting my wife (the only person I know that uses Hangouts), it does. Otherwise, I get the Hangouts notification sound. I've gone through my Hangouts options- under SMS and the option for my gmail account I made sure to change the notification sound to "Default Ringtone (...)" and still every time someone else texts me, the drat Hangouts sound plays.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I listen to music over Bluetooth in my car all the time. I bought this little remote control so I can pause/FF/REW. It shows up in Android as a keyboard. The remote has a little button for taking a picture. If I am on my home screen the button will open the app in the top left position.

Question: is it possible to remap the keyboard or something to make that button activate OK Google?

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
The configuration I ordered was a 64GB Frost one, maybe they got a bunch and are shipping them fast to make up for prior delays?

joeshmoetogo posted:

Got a 5x. Loved it. Returned it and got a Turbo 2 in hopes that battery life after Marshmallow + Doze would be insane. Removed outer, factory installed screen protector/layer to get rid of Verizon logo (not that annoying) and replaced with tempered glass screen protector. Dropped phone getting out of car, tempered glass spider-webbed but moto screen is physically fine... unfortunately I now have flickering colors, dead pixels, and a line through my screen. Win.

I think the shattershield warranty requires the display to actually be cracked to make a claim. Might have to smash it with a hammer or something. Then again, I don't know if they'll cover it if you purposefully removed One of the million layers of that screen.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm wanting to replace my Nexus 5, but the 5x is unimpressive (to me) for the cost, and the 6p is huge. I'm looking at the unlocked international version of the Galaxy S6 on Amazon for like $500. Is that kind of my best bet for a high-end contemporary phone right now, if I want it on something like Cricket (which I use now)?

Sidenote: how do I get updates on the Galaxy if I'm not on a "real" carrier?

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 12, 2015

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Gotta say, I like my 6p more than my moto x pure. It fits in my hand much better and the fingerprint scanner is excellent. It's also much thinner which I like more than I thought, even though the moto x is not by any means a fat phone.

If you're in the market for a barely used moto x pure, it'll be up for sale in SA mart soon.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Desk Lamp posted:

The mistake is assuming Google had any plans to change the game, they had every intention of playing along with carriers from the start. Their real attempt at change is Project Fi.

Even that's kind of debatable - Project Fi is an MVNO running on top of TMo US and Sprint. Short of owning its own spectrum it's never going to be able to actually undercut the carriers because it's already beholden to what they'll let an MVNO do.

Also it's very counter intuitive that a Google-bought Nexus would have a different update schedule purely because of the carrier. I would've thought that was the main benefit to buying a Nexus.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm having a really weird problem with Textra. All of my text messages are showing up in reverse chronological order only based on the time sent, not the date. I'm having texts from last year show up near the top of my list. Everything is normal in messenger though.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I had a Nexus 5, carrier free. I could tether with it no problem, from KitKat to Marshmallow.

Now my brand new Nexus 6P is refusing to allow me to tether as I had been doing problem free (and without rooting) for years.

Tethering is one of the primary things keeping me on Android vs. going back to iOS.

Why did this work before and not now?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I can't believe there are people bagging on someone for not knowing that taking an *~official google nexus device~* to ATT would gently caress over the updates. I mean no one here knew that until like a month ago, not everyone keeps up on the latest news from Androidcentral or whatever. Telling someone to flash another image or completely change wireless carriers is pretty bullshit, and you can take a post that says to do those things and frame it with a caption of "things wrong with Android".

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I had a Nexus 5, carrier free. I could tether with it no problem, from KitKat to Marshmallow.

Now my brand new Nexus 6P is refusing to allow me to tether as I had been doing problem free (and without rooting) for years.

Tethering is one of the primary things keeping me on Android vs. going back to iOS.

Have you called your provider? Either they don't support the 6p, they need to provision your phone or you need to pay them more money.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Same thing here. Same SIM card (AIO > now Cricket). Wifi hotspot works on my N5 running Marshmallow, but put it in my Nexus 6P and it prompts me to call 611 or visit att.com to enable tethering.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SB35 posted:

Same thing here. Same SIM card (AIO > now Cricket). Wifi hotspot works on my N5 running Marshmallow, but put it in my Nexus 6P and it prompts me to call 611 or visit att.com to enable tethering.

Cricket supports like 5 phones that you can pay $10 to tether. If it worked before you were lucky, it won't work anymore unless you do something to get around them breaking it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

SB35 posted:

Because there is a set of configuration tables in the AOSP build for the 5x that specify which SIM cards should trigger entitlement checks with the carrier. For instance, if you have an AT&T SIM in your device, it'll use this table.

code:
<!-- Entitlement APP provisioning for Tethering -->
    <string-array translatable="false" name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
        <item>com.lge.entitlement</item>
        <item>com.lge.entitlement.EntitlementDialogActivity</item>
    </string-array>
You'll notice that the Nexus 5 table for the same MCC/MNC combination does not include the entitlement check.

This stuff started with the Nexus 6 last year.

If you want to tether without restriction, and use the native app, you will need to root and put

code:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
at the end of your /system/build.prop.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 12, 2015

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

kitten smoothie posted:

Because there is a set of configuration tables in the AOSP build for the 5x that specify which SIM cards should trigger entitlement checks with the carrier.

This is exactly the information I needed. Thank you.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I can't believe there are people bagging on someone for not knowing that taking an *~official google nexus device~* to ATT would gently caress over the updates. I mean no one here knew that until like a month ago, not everyone keeps up on the latest news from Androidcentral or whatever. Telling someone to flash another image or completely change wireless carriers is pretty bullshit, and you can take a post that says to do those things and frame it with a caption of "things wrong with Android".

I agree completely. Contact Google support and try and get it fixed. Or continue uselessly pissing away your time by ineffectually complaining on a forum for a comedy website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Because there is a set of configuration tables in the AOSP build for the 5x that specify which SIM cards should trigger entitlement checks with the carrier. For instance, if you have an AT&T SIM in your device, it'll use this table.

code:
<!-- Entitlement APP provisioning for Tethering -->
    <string-array translatable="false" name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
        <item>com.lge.entitlement</item>
        <item>com.lge.entitlement.EntitlementDialogActivity</item>
    </string-array>

That's really interesting. With the mobile phone OS market effectively being a duopoly, I'm wondering if iOS has similar tables, and similar functionality? Or maybe Apple simply says, "screw you," to the carriers "we want our users to actually have a decent experience", and simply ignore issues about Entitlement checks and tethering dun requirements?