Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

That actually sounds like it would be a good show tbqh

After having someone at work inform me about about banana/ping pong shows, I have to say a one legged stripper sounds downright family friendly by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Guest2553 posted:

After having someone at work inform me about about banana/ping pong shows, I have to say a one legged stripper sounds downright family friendly by comparison.

I hear ya, a couple guys from my old unit went down to mexico over christmas block leave and they saw a donkey show. They we all jokey about seeing a donkey show before they went down but when they were asked about it when they got back they all had this defeated look in their eye and pretty much told us it was just awful. One of those things that sounds funny but is apparently mentally scarring.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Been to a ping-pong show in Thailand

The excitement turns to morbid curiosity. The morbid curiosity turns to horror. The horror turns to questions of medical and engineering practicalities.

And you leave with the knowledge that Russians are, in fact, bug poo poo crazy. All of them.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
welp, I went and saw Hyena Road tonight with a tour buddy. It was actually pretty decent

And now it's 3am and I'm drinking rum with my dog and listening to sad country and looking at my tour pictures and I just want to be back there again :smith:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It turns out our new MND invented a gas mask to work with Sikh beards.

The more I read about this guy the more awesome he is.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Russians are, in fact, bug poo poo crazy. All of them.

Also marines eating the banana as a hazing thing :cry:

stevobob posted:

We just received an email from an unnamed CWO that an unnamed SNCM had made derogatory comments on Facebook towards the new MND. On Facebook. With his real name. The email warned us against such conduct. :thudfuck:

Not sure which is worse, blatant army style 'good ole boys' intolerance and racism, or dogwhistle air force style 'actually it's about ethics in voter registration' intolerance and racism. There's no preparing for people you once respected non-ironically letting you know they're trump 2016 supporters.

edit: vvvvv

god is dead :stonk:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 7, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Also marines eating the banana as a hazing thing :cry:

Yup, that's what one hosed up russian did. For fun.

His girlfriend also came on stage and did things with one of the girls. It wasn't sexy in the least.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I don't get the hate for Trenton my family has a cottage in Prince Edward County and it's beautiful there in the summers. Now the nice spots are are probably owned by rich people from Ottawa, Kingston and Toronto but it's still a really nice area. Cold Lake on the other hand is a boring, cold and desolate shithole with a soon to be unemployed population. Nearest major city is Edmonton, where I was posted, and again it's just ugly country.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

I don't get the hate for Trenton my family has a cottage in Prince Edward County and it's beautiful there in the summers. Now the nice spots are are probably owned by rich people from Ottawa, Kingston and Toronto but it's still a really nice area. Cold Lake on the other hand is a boring, cold and desolate shithole with a soon to be unemployed population. Nearest major city is Edmonton, where I was posted, and again it's just ugly country.

Everybody hates places they've spent a lot of time. I haven't spent much time in Cold Lake or Edmonton and I enjoy going to each of those places. And I think Trenton is a lovely scuzzhole because I know it inside and out, probably the same reason you don't like Edmonton/Cold Lake. All bases are in shitholes, thats a fact.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

PEC is a really nice place to visit, but full of townies who all seem to be related to each other.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The problem with Trenton - and this is going to sound really classist - is that you have a lot of poor folks in an area with low-rent housing and nothing to do, like the downtowns of many cities, but without the "rest of the city" part to mop it back up again. Everyone who has the means to live somewhere else does, which really sucks for the people who don't have that option because their neighbours have some pretty serious social problems. The trailer park on the edge of town just past the base is arguably a better place to live than in Trenton proper.

The first week I was there there was a guy on the radio warning us about a band of roving crackheads that was going around mugging people in broad daylight with blunt objects. They had to close the Tim's on the city side of the bridge because the itinerants that gathered behind it were literally attracting vermin and making people not want to go there. The hotel in the middle of the commercial district was a brothel, the public schools are shelled-out husks and the social service agencies are absurdly busy given the population in that area. But if you really wanna get a sense of the character of a town, spend a few hours as a spectator in intake court sometime. It's genuinely sad.

Brighton is nice. Belleville is decent in places. The surrounding villages are quaint. Port Hope is pretty. But the actual city of Trenton is not a nice place and you should not live there.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Brighton was really nice when I lived there 10+ years ago. A lot of rednecks, but nice. Belleville is getting worse, a lot more crackheads moving in.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Everybody hates places they've spent a lot of time. I haven't spent much time in Cold Lake or Edmonton and I enjoy going to each of those places. And I think Trenton is a lovely scuzzhole because I know it inside and out, probably the same reason you don't like Edmonton/Cold Lake. All bases are in shitholes, thats a fact.

I have a very special hate for Edmonton. My best friend is a cop there so I guess I just heard too many terrible stories about the city. I moved out of the city because homeless people used to steal my garbage and dump it on my lawn. I saw 2 shootings, 1 corpse wash up on the bank of the North Saskatchewan and a homeless man raping a homeless woman in some bushes. Bouncing downtown Edmonton is waaaay more intense than bouncing in Ottawa, which is where i live now. Haven't seen anyone get stabbed all summer, its been great.

CFB Edmonton is fine, St.Albert and Fort Saskatchewan are great places to live gently caress Edmonton in its holes forever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
To any and all of you who served or are currently serving, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you for your service.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think Justin Trudeau and I made eye contact during the march past today. It was magical.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I celebrated Remembrance Day by getting into an argument with my wife last night, having drinks with the guys from my old unit today and probably going to the rodeo alone because she's still mad at me. :canada:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Tim Hortons didn't give me a free coffee today.

Cunts.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

Tim Hortons didn't give me a free coffee today.

Cunts.

Wait that's a thing???

Happy day of the year that everyone pretends they care about veterans!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Every Tim Horton's in Canada was supposedly giving anyone who showed up in uniform a free beverage or pastry.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I knew I should have gone to Timmy's after the parade today. Instead, I let my revulsion at their disgusting goods keep me away :rolleyes:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

My revulsion at the "thank you for your service" platitudes is what keeps me away.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Happy day of the year that everyone pretends they care about veterans!
Learned about the "white poppy" today. Some people don't even pretends to anymore...

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I could care less about white poppies. I don't understand why people get worked up about them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DrakeriderCa posted:

I don't understand why people get worked up about them.

Ask me about the PMQs and their occupants :rant:.

(Please don't)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Tell me something: Do all PMQs look like the set of Hoarders? Like, are they just built in that state and people move in and put their stuff next to the piles of clothes and garbage, or is this just the ones I've had the good fortune to visit?

Lassitude posted:

My revulsion at the "thank you for your service" platitudes is what keeps me away.

Seriously. At my greatest height I was a Cpl with a SWASM that the bosses said they'd get around to eventually, I had all my limbs and in the Remembrance Day weather I smelled like a wet polyester sheep. I ain't served poo poo. I had to tell one young guy to go find a lady wearing a cross in a circle and thank her, and the guy looked at me like I'd handed him a live marmot.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I could care less about white poppies. I don't understand why people get worked up about them.

I think that's mainly the Legion getting pissed at the people who interfere with their revenue stream (WARGH NOT METAL PINS!) and a bunch of vicarious anger from the people who think anti-war must obviously mean anti-soldier, which is really funny because nobody can tell you about how war is a bad idea that sucks like a veteran can. I had strict orders not to set one toe outside the wire and I happily followed them, so my closest connection to war was another MP from on my BMQ (who was a better soldier and cop than me on his first day than I could ever be) who got blown up with an empty convoy because troop transport by helicopter is something we don't deserve or whatever, and that's plenty fuckin' close for me. That guy's death echoed for months through the trade - imagining 47,000 of those.... watching all of the old folks, their wives, their adult children... I can't wrap my head around the scale of it.

On the upside, we didn't get to hear from Suraiah Sahar this year about how this is the blood festival where we cheer the colonial war god's mighty foot on the neck of the poor Afghan people.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

flakeloaf posted:

I think that's mainly the Legion getting pissed at the people who interfere with their revenue stream (WARGH NOT METAL PINS!) [etc]

Moose Jaw has their service in the arena and for the first time in my experience, the Legion sent donation buckets around the crowd. Really bothered me. It was also pretty heavily suggested that the whole thing was the Legion's 97th annual Remembrance service.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

flakeloaf posted:

Tell me something: Do all PMQs look like the set of Hoarders? Like, are they just built in that state and people move in and put their stuff next to the piles of clothes and garbage, or is this just the ones I've had the good fortune to visit?

I just have people call me day in, day out with problems relating to their PMQ, so I guess its not sooo bad? Damned if I don't have a lot of stories though; occupants bringing up the tenancy act, refusing contractor work only to complain that work isn't being done, lawsuit threats, etc.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:justpost:

All of my stories are the same: There's a reason for cops to be inside, we go inside, giant pile of laundry and crap on the floor, rotting dishes in the kitchen sink, beer cases as storage containers, offbrand TV bought from canex, $4000 computer, fist-shaped hole in wall, wall-shaped hole in fist, a pill bottle in everyone's field of vision, one kid crying, one kid staring, one kid hiding, one adult in the confession position in a chair and the other has "a perfectly good explanation for all of this, Sir".

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

Seriously. At my greatest height I was a Cpl with a SWASM that the bosses said they'd get around to eventually, I had all my limbs and in the Remembrance Day weather I smelled like a wet polyester sheep. I ain't served poo poo. I had to tell one young guy to go find a lady wearing a cross in a circle and thank her, and the guy looked at me like I'd handed him a live marmot.

I have a GCS and a couple uncommon badges and I hate it too - I don't even pin the lone medal on for parades now. I'm alive, none of my close buddies died, and I didn't return with a crippling case of PTSD or alcoholism. I could never accept any handouts due to my military service or anything like that. The thoughts are appreciated but there's still tons of WW2 vets and as you said - Silver Cross Mothers who deserve that poo poo way more than almost anyone serving today.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Once had a lady call in to say her kitchen sink was leaking. I asked if she could try shutting the water off to it (via valve underneath) because, if successful, a fix will occur only the next day.

On hearing that, she quickly went into meltdown mode. I was a cheat, a swindler, a coward; This was going to go to the news, the house was going to melt (or sustain massive water damage because she wouldn't mop the wet floor), and she'd have my job for breakfast.

This went on for about 6 to 8 minutes.

Finally, after having to fight to have my voice heard over the phone, I convinced her to actually try to shut the water off. After a brief pause, she checks the valve and discovers that, no, the leak cannot be stopped. Okay! That bumps it to an ASAP fix. Get her info, tell her someone (contractor) will call her back ASAP and get it done.

"Oh, thank you so much. I didn't mean all those things I said [...]"

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

stevobob posted:

The effort put in by the contractors to avoiding putting in effort is impressive.

Yeah... I know a few contractors that are pretty terrible.

I only get to deal with stuff once it breaks, there''s a whole seperate crew for dumb contractors and dumb projects.

Speaking of, smoke detectors were a big issue this year (go figure, right?) and some bases had to have big reno projects to swap out a huge number of them. In kingston, some of the houses had/have the detectors at the top of the main stairwell in the house... which was completely inaccessible to anyone without a ladder.

Oh, and they were sensitive to humidity. Really sensitive. Guess where that humidity collects, with no windows to help vent the area?

:downs:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I got one of the "enhanced" (renovated) PMQs in Moose Jaw, it's really quite nice. Many more are being renovated, but holy poo poo the contractors are taking forever.

There was a stereotypical PMQ family in one of the units across the street - lots of kids and pets, dirty. I'm quite certain the woman was formerly married to a CF member who was posted elsewhere and kept the Q. Whenever she arrived home from work she'd scream at the kids and then you could almost see the pot cloud come out of the place, you could certainly smell it. One of the daughters talked to my wife in the park, "My dad and mom don't live together anymore because mom can't stop sleeping with everyone." The kid is like 6 years old.

Then one morning the house was empty. They moved at like 2 in the morning in August, CFHA finally closed the windows last week. Weirdest poo poo ever, kids playing in the park as usual after dinner, completely gone the next day. I can imagine the poo poo and general mess they left behind.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I keep hearing about Syrian refugees being housed on base in Kingston?

Also the Facebook meme yesterday was a white poppy and a red poppy beside the liberal and conservative party logos and the caption "who are you with?"

Have we learned nothing from the Yorks and Lancasters!?!

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Frosted Flake posted:

Hearing the same from Wainwright.If they knew the place they would chose to stay in Syria...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Holy gently caress they might ask to go back after wainwright

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

McNaughton barracks was Kingston, right? If so then

MA-Horus posted:

Holy gently caress they might ask to go back

In a blast from the past, my fear of being posted to Cold Lake is starting to manifest. The cost of housing is probably better since the oilfields are getting hosed, but on a scale of 0 to -10, how lovely is it to raise a family there? Is there a school or hospital? Is the oil ration sufficient to last through 10 months of winter?

I'm really afraid please help :ohdear:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The school system is fine, and oddly enough the Catholic high school has better teachers compared to the public school. But the social studies teacher at the public school was one of the 3 people who wrote the textbook for Alberta, so eh, YMMV with either of the systems. Really, it's just a medium-large sized town with a base tacked on, with a small-medium town a 30 minute drive away. The fishing and water sports are awesome, but the social life is kinda meh.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not great, but not terrible

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does anyone know if the hotline that was supposed to be set up after Op Honour is up and running yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Does anyone know if the hotline that was supposed to be set up after Op Honour is up and running yet?

There was a hotline? Hm maybe there's something in my emails about it; I'll check tomorrow.