Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

If he's on buprenex or any form of it, constipation is a side effect. Best thing is to make sure he's drinking enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

CompactFanny posted:

If he's on buprenex or any form of it, constipation is a side effect. Best thing is to make sure he's drinking enough.

I'll have to check. It's most likely the pain medication because he's had the other before with no problem

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Probably could use a couple of pictures of playful Odin. All that majestic fur (minus some bits, apparently) being committed to entirely ridiculous purposes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

Mustache the street cat is now facing some challenges.

After the half a year now we've had her ( or however long, I don't even know anymore ) she's much more relaxed - the past few days she has actually started sleeping on the bed with us and the other cats which is a big step. She actually waits for me to get into bed now to hop up. :3:

HOWEVER, she still has 2 problems:

1 - constantly shits over the side or front of the litter box. This is not anger, I've watched her and she doesn't seem to like touching the litter ( wood pellets ) at all whether it's a fresh box or not. She goes just barely into the front of the box, hangs her rear end out the front and unloads. This is the same litter the other 4 use without issue and I refuse to change, she will learn or go back on the streets!

2 - never stops eating. Presumably from the street days of "eat as much as you can whenever you can get it", now that she has a constant supply of food she is fat. I mean, like getting concerned probably 20lbs fat. We have 4 other cats that all eat normally ( including an old man on steroids that needs a constant supply of food ), how the hell do you control 1/5 cats' eating habits, when 1 of the MUST have a constant supply?

1 - One of out cats Rodney is a big boy and he never learned how to squat when he pees. We had to get a litter box with a very high wall so he always at worst hits the side of the box and it trickles down in to the litter. Are you married to the brand of litter you use? Maybe you can put a different litter in one of the boxes and see if Mustache will use that one.

2 - Maybe if you fed her wet food and she really liked it she would ignore the dry food during the day in lieu of waiting for wet food allowing you to do timed wet food feedings with her and dry free feeding with the other 4 cats.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Do "dental" cat treats actually work? My cats usually just swallow treats whole and they never touch their teeth. I've been using the CET toothpaste 3-4 times a week, but my cats are really good at squirming and I usually just end up rubbing most of it on their lips/cheek instead.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Are you seeing it the same day of the dental? Animals often get IV fluids while under general anesthesia.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat. She is awesome, but she scares pretty easily. At her prior home she apparently played with and got along really well with another cat and a Jack Russell Terrier. I'd like to get her some company since I work long hours, and also cats are awesome. My only problem is that while I have plenty of room in my apartment for two cats, it is an efficiency-style apartment with no doors - so I wouldn't be able to separate any animals. The local shelter suggested getting a neutered male cat of any age that they keep in their communal rooms (rooms where they put 3-5 cats in at once). Any thoughts from the goon mind?

Of course, the cat in question:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thought: what a gorgeous cat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

funzo2226 posted:

Do "dental" cat treats actually work? My cats usually just swallow treats whole and they never touch their teeth. I've been using the CET toothpaste 3-4 times a week, but my cats are really good at squirming and I usually just end up rubbing most of it on their lips/cheek instead.

No. If your cat needs their teeth brushed, brush 'em.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

My cat really digs this toy mouse with a shoelace tied to its tail, and she gets especially excited when I throw it across the room. She'll usually meow and run over to it, but then look at me like I'm supposed to go get it and do it again. I know she understands the concept of bringing me toys when she wants to play, because I wake up with her toys in my bed, but she doesn't seem to grasp the concept of 'fetch.' Is there any way I can teach her to do it, because I think it would be fun + rewarding.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat. She is awesome, but she scares pretty easily. At her prior home she apparently played with and got along really well with another cat and a Jack Russell Terrier. I'd like to get her some company since I work long hours, and also cats are awesome. My only problem is that while I have plenty of room in my apartment for two cats, it is an efficiency-style apartment with no doors - so I wouldn't be able to separate any animals. The local shelter suggested getting a neutered male cat of any age that they keep in their communal rooms (rooms where they put 3-5 cats in at once). Any thoughts from the goon mind?

Of course, the cat in question:

That is a really beautiful cat. I also own an older female cat (she's nine years old, spayed) and I live with her in an efficiency-style apartment. I don't have to work long hours so I get to spend enough time with her that she's fairly content. But it's always sketchy when you throw two cats together into one space. You just never know what's going to happen. I think many cats (possibly older female cats especially) just love being the center of their human's attention and may or may not react well to another cat... I think it would *really* depend on the personality of your current cat and the personality of the other cat and in a space where there's nowhere to go... That sounds like a risky proposition to *me* - I wouldn't do it.

But who knows, it's all particular to the personality of the cat. My cat, for instance... Well, Jackie has gotten along really with both cats and with dogs, but when the slightly older (and really spectacularly awesome cat) who she was great friends with and who taught her how to "be a cat" died, she really didn't proceed to ever get along with another cat again, not the other cat in the house or the new kittens they got. It became a problem to the point where my parents were getting rid of her (because they liked the kittens more and Jackie had turned very foul-tempered and was hissing and lashing out at the humans too now) while it was just a great fun game of taunting the big slow cat as far as the kittens were concerned. So I rescued her from my parents house, since she had always been my absolute favorite cat when I lived there 7 or 8 months or so when she was still a kitten, and we developed a bond... They were going to kick her out anyway and when I learned they had her on waiting lists for no-kill shelters I jumped in because she was such a unique and beautiful and exceptional cat, what with her 26 toes and her perpetually calm demeanor around me.

I don't think Jackie would forgive me if I ever got another pet of any sort, let alone another cat. It would hurt her. Besides, I promised her I wouldn't.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fire In The Disco posted:

:siren: If your cat is not peeing, eating, or drinking, GO TO THE VET RIGHT NOW. Don't stop to ask the internet, just go. Any of these things can cause liver damage and death, and indicates a serious problem that needs to be treated immediately. :siren:

My cat stopped eating about a week ago so I took her to the vet. He suspects fatty liver disease (jaundice obvious in the ears). We're trying the medicine and different kinds of food option. So far, results are mixed but getting worse. So the next step is a liver ultrasound. If it's FLD, then I figure we'll have to go the feeding tube route.

How much can I expect to pay for that procedure? I know the ultrasound will be in the $400 neighborhood.

The kitty in question:

It's ironic that I've been slowly getting her to lose weight over the last eight years because she was too fat - 15 lbs or so. I just got her down to 10.8 lbs this year and now this happens.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Odin's feeding tube insertion was in the $400 range, which was about the same price as our ultrasound. Honestly looking back had I known more I would have just skipped the liver ultrasound and gone straight to the feeding tube. If the cat isn't eating, is jaundiced, and has elevated liver enzymes then the ultrasound is pretty much just going to confirm what they already know, which is that the cat needs a feeding tube. The only reason I would go for ultrasound is if you don't know why your cat stopped eating. In Odin's case it was a houseplant encounter so our ultrasound was probably unnecessary.

Also in the interim you can try force-feeding her. We did that with Odin before he got his tube in (unfortunately for him it was a huge disaster, but it at least kept him out of the Vet ER over the weekend until he got his tube Monday). You basically just take some puree-style canned food or baby food, water it down a little so it can be sucked into a syringe, and then burrito up your cat and squirt the food in their mouth. There's a good video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4WBN53obFE

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Marchegiana posted:

Odin's feeding tube insertion was in the $400 range, which was about the same price as our ultrasound. Honestly looking back had I known more I would have just skipped the liver ultrasound and gone straight to the feeding tube. If the cat isn't eating, is jaundiced, and has elevated liver enzymes then the ultrasound is pretty much just going to confirm what they already know, which is that the cat needs a feeding tube. The only reason I would go for ultrasound is if you don't know why your cat stopped eating. In Odin's case it was a houseplant encounter so our ultrasound was probably unnecessary.

The vet said it could be a tumor, so I'd rather know one way or the other.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

My cat stopped eating about a week ago so I took her to the vet. He suspects fatty liver disease (jaundice obvious in the ears). We're trying the medicine and different kinds of food option. So far, results are mixed but getting worse. So the next step is a liver ultrasound. If it's FLD, then I figure we'll have to go the feeding tube route.

How much can I expect to pay for that procedure? I know the ultrasound will be in the $400 neighborhood.

The kitty in question:

It's ironic that I've been slowly getting her to lose weight over the last eight years because she was too fat - 15 lbs or so. I just got her down to 10.8 lbs this year and now this happens.
What a pretty kitty, her markings are so striking. I hope everything turns out well!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tendai posted:

What a pretty kitty, her markings are so striking. I hope everything turns out well!

Thanks. Everybody says so.

She's a damned good kitty. Never does her business where she's not supposed to and never scratches anything except the corner of the foundation of my bed.

She's kept me sane the last eight years.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
So, I have never really been a cat person. I grew up on a ranch where we had cats all over the place, but they were all semi-wild, mouse-catching, livestock instead of real pets. However, I was out getting milk a couple days ago and found this slinking across the lot:

She didn't put up much of a fight, since she was too weak from exposure, near starvation, and a parasite in her neck I forget the name of. The vet says (after an expensive checkup and procedure) its likely she's never had a home and has been on her own for most of her eight to ten weeks of existence. :smith:

Of course my daughter fell in love with "Ellie" right away, so we're keeping this thing. I need some advice on how to get a wild(ish) kitten to accept us. Right now we are taking it slow, giving Ellie her own space to be in while we can't hold her. We are also feeding her several tiny meals a day to try to get her nutrition up. She's still pretty weak, so she mostly lays around and marvels that we have things like laps, blankets, and cat food. She hisses at us if we move too quickly toward her, and when she does get up and around, she is quick to dart under a piece of furniture. When we do pick her up though, she almost instantly switches to purring and would rather never leave a warm lap or a couch.

Is this a wild thing or just a cat thing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Just give her time. Everything she's dealt with to this point has been a potential threat to her life, so she's understandably stressed and wary. Keep feeding her and let her get used to indoor life.

We have one who is a former semi-feral. She's always been a loner, but she has her moments. She is pretty much a one-person cat and loves cuddling with my wife on the bed while she reads or grades. Most of the time she just likes being near us, though.

It's hard to tell what's a vestige of her feral life and what's just her. She's a great cat, regardless.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Elpato posted:

It's probably a wild kitten who's had a fairly terrible life so far thing. Give her time and let her learn that you don't mean her any harm. She's probably new to that concept too. People are huge and threatening.

I recommend assloads of love and patience. You'll want more specific advice from someone who's dealt with ferals, though.

You're doing a really good thing. She will learn to appreciate it, but her brain is the size of a walnut, and it's going to take her a while to figure it out, and develop a concept of trust.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I took my cat to the doctor today and it looks like there a strong possibility she has lymphoma. The took some cell samples from her liver and from a spot where her upper intestine meets the lower.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow for the results.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elpato posted:

So, I have never really been a cat person. I grew up on a ranch where we had cats all over the place, but they were all semi-wild, mouse-catching, livestock instead of real pets. However, I was out getting milk a couple days ago and found this slinking across the lot:

She didn't put up much of a fight, since she was too weak from exposure, near starvation, and a parasite in her neck I forget the name of. The vet says (after an expensive checkup and procedure) its likely she's never had a home and has been on her own for most of her eight to ten weeks of existence. :smith:

Of course my daughter fell in love with "Ellie" right away, so we're keeping this thing. I need some advice on how to get a wild(ish) kitten to accept us. Right now we are taking it slow, giving Ellie her own space to be in while we can't hold her. We are also feeding her several tiny meals a day to try to get her nutrition up. She's still pretty weak, so she mostly lays around and marvels that we have things like laps, blankets, and cat food. She hisses at us if we move too quickly toward her, and when she does get up and around, she is quick to dart under a piece of furniture. When we do pick her up though, she almost instantly switches to purring and would rather never leave a warm lap or a couch.

What a cute kitten. It's just a cat thing. Don't try and force interaction and when she does decide to check you guys out make sure you've got treats (if she can have them) or some other form of positive reinforcement. If you can get her to engage in hunting play that would be a great way to interact. Every person I've recommended this toy to said that even their cats that don't normally like to play loved it: http://www.amazon.com/GoCat-Cat-Fea...catcher+cat+toy

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate
I didn't realize my pictures were table-breaking. Dammit.

Admiral_eX_laX fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 11, 2015

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Elpato posted:

What a sweet kitty!

She'll relax eventually. Just keep doing what you're doing. You can probably accelerate the process if you shell out for a Feliway diffuser, which is synthetic cat facial pheromone, and basically the cat chemical signal for "everything's cool, this is a safe area, no need to worry about anything".

Other than that, while I was getting my very skittish cats used to me and settled in, I actually made my movements fairly slow and deliberate rather than fast and jerky. I also didn't make eye contact without giving a slow blink. Cats can find staring offputting, while a slow blink means "I'm really relaxed around you/I loooove you".

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 11, 2015

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My Wife's cat is being terribly aggressive to every cat in the neighbourhood, so i thought i'd turn to goons for advice!

She is:

3 Years old
Female, spayed/neutered, whatever you do to female cats
Calm and relaxed in the house
Has been in the house 1 year
Has had the run of the garden for one year.
Prior to living with us was a feral rescue
Hunts and kills rats and mice with astonishing regularity

We live in a terraced house with a pretty big garden backing on to another row, so she's yet to go out on the road or anything like that. There's a few cats around, but she gets on well with all of them, except what I refer to as The Big Fat Black Mean CatTM, who is her cat nemesis. The BBMC used to chase ours into the kitchen and we'd have to chase it out of the house (can't put a cat flap in), but now Juno goes out and fights it. Like, ambushes it and leaps on it from a great height. No yowling or hissing as a prelude, just a vicious seemingly unprovoked attack. For the cost of the occasional scratch on her face, which does admittedly make her look like some kind of bad-rear end cat version of Snake Plisskin, BBMC has now lost half an ear.

My solution to this is "don't let the bloody thing out", or "negotiate with owners of BBMC to let them out on alternate days". However, I am told by the powers that be that this is not an acceptable option. Is there some kind of miracle thing I can do to stop my cat wrestling the other cat and beating the hell out of it, or should I just reiterate in an endless droning monotone "the cat doesn't go outside because it's a vicious killing machine".

lenoon fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 11, 2015

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lenoon posted:

My Wife's cat is being terribly aggressive to every cat in the neighbourhood, so i thought i'd turn to goons for advice!

She is:

3 Years old
Female, spayed/neutered, whatever you do to female cats
Calm and relaxed in the house
Has been in the house 1 year
Has had the run of the garden for one year.
Prior to living with us was a feral rescue
Hunts and kills rats and mice with astonishing regularity

We live in a terraced house with a pretty big garden backing on to another row, so she's yet to go out on the road or anything like that. There's a few cats around, but she gets on well with all of them, except what I refer to as The Big Fat Black Mean CatTM, who is her cat nemesis. The BBMC used to chase ours into the kitchen and we'd have to chase it out of the house (can't put a cat flap in), but now Juno goes out and fights it. Like, ambushes it and leaps on it from a great height. No yowling or hissing as a prelude, just a vicious seemingly unprovoked attack. For the cost of the occasional scratch on her face, which does admittedly make her look like some kind of bad-rear end cat version of Snake Plisskin, BBMC has now lost half an ear.

My solution to this is "don't let the bloody thing out", or "negotiate with owners of BBMC to let them out on alternate days". However, I am told by the powers that be that this is not an acceptable option. Is there some kind of miracle thing I can do to stop my cat wrestling the other cat and beating the hell out of it, or should I just reiterate in an endless droning monotone "the cat doesn't go outside because it's a vicious killing machine".

Are they neighbors' cats or just strays? If they're strays, then gently caress it.

Otherwise, just [INSERT OBVIOUS ANSWER HERE].

E: make sure your cat is immunized against cat AIDS

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Neighbours cats, and I think they'd be up for the alternate days suggestion. I'm fully on board with making it an indoor cat.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

shabbat goy posted:

My cat really digs this toy mouse with a shoelace tied to its tail, and she gets especially excited when I throw it across the room. She'll usually meow and run over to it, but then look at me like I'm supposed to go get it and do it again. I know she understands the concept of bringing me toys when she wants to play, because I wake up with her toys in my bed, but she doesn't seem to grasp the concept of 'fetch.' Is there any way I can teach her to do it, because I think it would be fun + rewarding.

In my experience, you can only teach cats to fetch things if they think it's fun. If they don't want to, they'll simply refuse to fetch. And you're really lucky to have an active cat like that. Mine just sniffs at every toy I bring and then just avoids it. My apartments is littered with little stuff like toy mice and little balls, sometimes wedged into weird places. (I'm slowly getting the feeling she hides them on purpose.)

One thing I noticed is, some cats like to play things abhorrent to humans, like starring at a hole in the wall for mindnumbing hours. It's a cat thing. Just be lucky you have a cat who wants to play with you.

This is my cat lurking near our neighbour's bunnies. She just loves trying to get in there. :3:

Semi-related: My cat after the bath she had to take later the same day. She was dragging pollen and dirt all over my apartment and I had to intervene.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 11, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Good news, everyone! My cat does not have cancer. It's combination of fatty liver disease and inflammatory bowel disease. She goes in tomorrow to get a feeding tube fitted.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That is great news! She should perk up quite well with the feeding tube.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any ideas for random yowling in the middle of the night? Has food, water, clean litterbox and such. She used to do it when she was locked out of bedroom or thought she was alone but she keeps standing in the bedroom doorway so she knows she can get in. She was just at the vet too

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any ideas for random yowling in the middle of the night? Has food, water, clean litterbox and such. She used to do it when she was locked out of bedroom or thought she was alone but she keeps standing in the bedroom doorway so she knows she can get in. She was just at the vet too

She's lonely and wants attention. Ignore her long enough and she'll stop. If you respond to her she'll just learn to howl more whenever she wants attention in the middle of the night.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Thanks for the responses to my stray kitten question, everyone. She's getting better day by day. I can approach her without getting a hiss now, and she's starting to move around a bit more. The vet says she has worms all up ins, so I'm pumping this little girl full of medicine every day. She still spends most of her time like this:

The intrusion upon work space has begun, and it'll only get worse I'm sure.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Aww. Feel better, little kitten.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So my GF wanted a cat and I finally relented to getting one when her friend knew somebody who had some she was trying to give away. She is 4 months old and seemed to get along fairly well with us when we first met her at her previous owner's house. She's now here, and quite frightened, which was expected. She's taken to hiding behind the couch. We were told to make sure to show her where the litter box was right away, but that hasn't been possible since she pretty much bolted into hiding as soon as she was in the house. I'm a tad worried she won't find it, though it's currently in an open closet in the same room as her. She is supposedly already littler trained. Is it reasonable to expect she will find it on her own, or should we be trying to do something about it?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Elpato posted:

She still spends most of her time like this:

Btw, in case you didn't know, this is 100% normal for healthy cats as well. Cats love to sleep.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

So my GF wanted a cat and I finally relented to getting one when her friend knew somebody who had some she was trying to give away. She is 4 months old and seemed to get along fairly well with us when we first met her at her previous owner's house. She's now here, and quite frightened, which was expected. She's taken to hiding behind the couch. We were told to make sure to show her where the litter box was right away, but that hasn't been possible since she pretty much bolted into hiding as soon as she was in the house. I'm a tad worried she won't find it, though it's currently in an open closet in the same room as her. She is supposedly already littler trained. Is it reasonable to expect she will find it on her own, or should we be trying to do something about it?

Put it in sight of where she is and gradually move it towards where you want it to be if you're worried about her pooping up the place.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Put it in sight of where she is and gradually move it towards where you want it to be if you're worried about her pooping up the place.

I put the litter box in sight of the couch she's hiding behind. Hopefully that's good enough. Also, hopefully that doesn't turn into its permanent home. Once she's exploring a little bit I'll gradually move it towards that closest again.

Update: When we woke up this morning she was out from behind the couch, but she ran back to her hiding spot pretty quickly. The trail of food leading to her bowl had been eaten, so I assume she hopefully found it and the water. Hopefully she had a little of both, but it's hard to tell for sure. No poop/pee in sight though.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 12, 2015

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I've honestly never had to move my litterboxes gradually. I moved one all the way across the apartment one time all at once. Just picked up each cat and plopped them in. This is where you poop now! Neither of my cats ever had any issues that way.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

lenoon posted:

Neighbours cats, and I think they'd be up for the alternate days suggestion. I'm fully on board with making it an indoor cat.

I agree with making her an indoor cat. FIV is a real threat and since the vaccine is still not widely-used many times if the cat gets picked up by the city when they test positive for FIV they're euthanized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

I put the litter box in sight of the couch she's hiding behind. Hopefully that's good enough. Also, hopefully that doesn't turn into its permanent home. Once she's exploring a little bit I'll gradually move it towards that closest again.

Update: When we woke up this morning she was out from behind the couch, but she ran back to her hiding spot pretty quickly. The trail of food leading to her bowl had been eaten, so I assume she hopefully found it and the water. Hopefully she had a little of both, but it's hard to tell for sure. No poop/pee in sight though.

It may be a few days before she uses the litter box. Don't freak out.