Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

And if you kill everyone, random encounters still happen, but nobody comes.
That reminds me of when I was playing an adventurer back in 40d. The game actually tracked creature populations by region (Maybe still does?), so you could exterminate all the wolves in a forest. Once you had killed 90% of them most encounters the game forced on you had no creatures. I believe one guy on the bay 12 forums managed to kill every living creature in a pocket size world once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It does, but they slowly replenish themselves now.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

You know it's Adventure Mode in my Dwarf Fortress worlds when someone goes kung fu kamikaze and punches their neighbors to death every two weeks.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Toady One posted:

Toady One I finished up the various non-dwarf item code. The "foreign" weapon stockpiles are a bit odd now (shrinking as you add resident races), and mercenaries will mostly ignore you if you try to fiddle with their equipment in ways that would make them drop their owned equipment, but hopefully it works well enough for a first release pass. Diplomats will hang out in taverns for a bit after their official duties, and bandits will also occasionally arrive to relax as well.

Diplomats and bandits are always welcome in my fort tavern, The Tap Trap of Blades.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I can't wait to see the Taverns of Death that are made. The drawbridges will raise around them and wild animals or seawater or bees will fill the tavern. It will be marvelous.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TildeATH posted:

I can't wait to see the Taverns of Death that are made. The drawbridges will raise around them and wild animals or seawater or bees will fill the tavern. It will be marvelous.

Nah, it's a new trap for seigers. The wall of the tavern will slide open and all the attacking goblins will suddenly have to deal with some VERY pissed off drunks.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Alternately: the walls of the tavern slide open and the attacking goblins are enticed by all the booze and get slobbering drunk. At which point they're easy pickings.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

KillHour posted:

Nah, it's a new trap for seigers. The wall of the tavern will slide open and all the attacking goblins will suddenly have to deal with some VERY pissed off drunks.

You joke, but I can imagine making a god-tier adventurer and retiring in a bandit camp near where I plan to make a fortress for this specific purpose.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TildeATH posted:

I would like to re-create Bee Cave, Texas.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

KillHour posted:

nah. the walls slide open, and the legendary dancedwarves unleash their mystical combat riverdance

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my dad posted:

You joke, but I can imagine making a god-tier adventurer and retiring in a bandit camp near where I plan to make a fortress for this specific purpose.

This is similar to what I was thinking as soon as I saw it. Make sure it's a dwarf—or can other races get martial trances in adventure mode/as NPCs in fortress mode? Imagine having Sankis and the burning axe just outside your fort. :allears:

Or even, dare I say it, a nondescript dwarf with a backpack. :unsmigghh:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
A titan appears on your map. Pull lever, exterior walls open. The crowds at the pub and temple switch places.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's a bummer that dwarves actually clean surfaces now. I used to pride myself on a particularly filthy, vomit and blood encrusted spiked death pit.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Shibawanko posted:

It's a bummer that dwarves actually clean surfaces now. I used to pride myself on a particularly filthy, vomit and blood encrusted spiked death pit.

Those beautiful cyan streaks of troll blood from blade traps were sublime.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Shibawanko posted:

Just take the Cleaning job off everybody.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nietzschean posted:

This is similar to what I was thinking as soon as I saw it. Make sure it's a dwarf—or can other races get martial trances in adventure mode/as NPCs in fortress mode? Imagine having Sankis and the burning axe just outside your fort. :allears:

Or even, dare I say it, a nondescript dwarf with a backpack. :unsmigghh:

If i recall correctly, trances are a dwarf-only thing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

Those beautiful cyan streaks of troll blood from blade traps were sublime.

The height level and lethality of your traps really mattered for your mass dumping area. I always wanted them to survive the fall so they could do some decorative vomiting or maybe get crushed by their plummeting friends, having them fall from too high up would just gib them instantly which i thought banal and crass. I did not want the first weapon trap to kill them either, after all you don't get that nice streaking effect if they don't walk around after losing a limb. You had to fine tune it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Well said. This is why the green glass serrated disc reigns supreme; multiple hits per attack, totally incapable of penetrating armor, yet guaranteed to sever an unarmored extremity if hit, it is practically guaranteed that interlopers will lose something vitally important to their combat ability, but also has a high chance that whatever they lose won't be instantly lethal, allowing them those extra few exsanguinating seconds to turn your fortress entrance into Jackson Pollock.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

Well said. This is why the green glass serrated disc reigns supreme; multiple hits per attack, totally incapable of penetrating armor, yet guaranteed to sever an unarmored extremity if hit, it is practically guaranteed that interlopers will lose something vitally important to their combat ability, but also has a high chance that whatever they lose won't be instantly lethal, allowing them those extra few exsanguinating seconds to turn your fortress entrance into Jackson Pollock.
You left out the part where so long as you are using magma, green glass serrated discs are free, so you can fill ever so much more of your fortress with them, or even just the great outdoors if you dislike wandering animals.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I don't care bout yer glassing, I want me taverns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Does this upcoming update actually add gameplay

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Average Bear posted:

Define gameplay. Taverns add a way to interact with the world outside your fortress beyond war and trade.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Average Bear posted:

yes it does

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

Define upcoming.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Average Bear posted:

nah lmao

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the "gameplay" feature isn't expected to be released until 2076

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

I don't care bout yer glassing, I want me taverns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk

Wow, didn't know these songs were in actual DF dwarfish, i always stop and listen to them when they come on in Soundsense. I just assumed it was Finnish folkmusic D:

(finnish is a special kind of gibberish)

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 14, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Like does it add stuff to do in fortress mode.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Average Bear posted:

yes

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Average Bear posted:

managing taverns, scribe halls and temples alone should provide plenty of new toys to think about

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dongattack posted:

What did you think Finnish is if not actual dwarfish :confused:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Average Bear posted:

The new goal of the game is to make a fort; make a library; make an adventurer; procure a necromancers book and return it to your library.

I dunno what happens. Nobody does man. Adventure.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I want to put a magma-powered sauna in my tavern now.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Sounds good. Fortress mode got pretty dry when sieges were made way less frequent. I remember fighting hell instead and building a fort down there

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Begin ignition sequence...

The Toady One posted:

Various tweaks with grumpy ignored residents, music descriptions vs. harmony, spectator text, and written content. With an impressive enough performance/reputation, your adventurer can petition to be an official performer for a town (the same as the dwarf mode occupation), which doesn't mean much but gives you permission to sleep in villages and a merchant discount in market locations (also extended to hearthpeople). Along with the tavern discounts for various reputations, it'll have to do for now in the absence of a meaningful economy. Four more things to go.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

What did you think Finnish is if not actual dwarfish :confused:

Oh man that reminds me about that nordic language project somebody had going once. The scandic languages were all done first, but for once they'd taken the time to compile a Finnish dictionary as well.

My next adventurer's first name was Dinnerplate. I didn't stop laughing for weeks

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dongattack posted:

I know. I have Hungarian friends. :v:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

Begin ignition sequence...

I can't wait for the new meta to include taking lots of performance skills to get special discounts in all towns.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm actually pretty excited to have visitors come to my fortress. Should be fun building a foreign quarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Average Bear posted:

I'm actually pretty excited to have visitors come to my fortress. Should be fun building new and exciting torture chambers.