Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I think Wrought has the best allergy story with salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Vorenus posted:

I thought it was a massive piece of chocolate cake washed down with a double shot of bourbon?

Some might say it is half a pie, swimming in a pint of cream.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

I still say Champagne.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I love that story :allears:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Splizwarf posted:

Hot apple dumpling, out of the oven just long enough for the filling to start to set then hit with a scoop of new york vanilla.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Got a link?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm kinda surprised it's not in the OP for posterity.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

I went cross-eyes a few weeks back - someone claimed a gluten allergy on their sandwich, no bread, fresh gloves, no contamination, etc. and when we told them that we cook our fries in the same oil we cook hush puppies in "Oh, that's fine".

Well ok then, your "allergy" can't be that serious.

I have customers order pepperoni pizzas with a gluten free crust because they are so allergic to gluten! When I tell them that pepperoni has gluten, that's fine though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Short version: she's on a boat as the cook and it's for a couple weeks, one guy says he can have absolutely no salt so she's been prepping seperate batches of EVERYTHING for days and one day the meal is a seafood boil, done in saltwater and she sees the guy about to eat some of it, runs across the deck to tell him it was cooked in salt water, and he says "oh I can splurge sometimes"

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'm allergic to gluten. When I eat a shitload of croissants, I get fat. Same thing happens when I eat: pizza, PB&Js, sandwiches(with extra everything!), etc.

So if I could just get the fish and chips, that'd be great, just make sure there's no bread, okay? No, no, I can have battered stuff, just no breading.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

since we're talking about food replacements, i dont want to post in the whiskey thread since i'd rather talk to people who know what the hell they're talking about

i'm starting to get into rye. any suggestions would be fantastic. my bulleit is almost gone and i'm looking to branch out

namaste

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I like Dickel Rye, I believe Buffalo Trace does a rye as well? Knob Creek Rye is a 9yr, and very smooth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Business Gorillas posted:

since we're talking about food replacements, i dont want to post in the whiskey thread since i'd rather talk to people who know what the hell they're talking about

i'm starting to get into rye. any suggestions would be fantastic. my bulleit is almost gone and i'm looking to branch out

namaste

For something that costs about the same as Jim Beam, Old Overholt is surprisingly drinkable.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I like Dickel Rye, I believe Buffalo Trace does a rye as well? Knob Creek Rye is a 9yr, and very smooth.

All of this, dickel is my go to blending whiskey for cocktails cause it's awesome, I also use bulleit. Angels envy if you want to ride the high of drinking a 100$ bottle.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Sazerac Rye is what youre thinking of as the "buffalo trace rye."

There's also the Pappy 13yr rye, and the Sazerac 18yr rye.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Rittenhouse Rye bottled in bond is what you want. Sazerac is nice. Both are better than Dickel or Bulleit. For sipping Whistlepig is amazing. Try asking in the cocktail thread or the Ask me about being a bartender thread in A/T.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Rittenhouse is awesome for Boulevardiers. It has a super earthy, mushroomy, decomposing forest floor thing going on that's really great.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Don't waste money on Pappy. It's not even very good.

The higher end Michters, Black Maple Hill (if you can find an old bottle, not the new poo poo in the new package,) Old Forester Birthday or the old Smooth Ambler are all far superior for less than $100 a shot.

Black Maple isn't that good, and it's just a blend from warehouse stocks. Certainly doesn't justify the price. Alternatives to Pappy 20 (not the 23 which isn't as good, just rarer) are things like Buffalo Trace's Single Oak Project.

Noah's Mill is a good mid-price bourbon.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Dickel's is my go-to rye for any way I want rye--neat, rocks, old fashioned, etc. Going to be trying some infusions down the line, too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you've only got eight bucks, Pikesville Rye is surprising decent. If you only got eight bucks.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Black Maple isn't that good, and it's just a blend from warehouse stocks. Certainly doesn't justify the price.

...as are the majority of bourbon, ryes and scotches on the market. What's your point?

As the other poster clarified above, BMH 's original blend was really incredible. When the finisher/blender couldn't get enough juice from their source any longer, they switched to a bulk distillate from Oregon. That's also when they redesigned the packaging. It's not nearly as good as it used to be (I still have dreams about the old 23yr rye...) but I don't enjoy any whiskey from Oregon, even from other distilleries who's products I do enjoy.

E: the old BMH came in a wine-looking bottle like this:
http://m.wine-searcher.com/wine-407602-0001-black-maple-hill-23-year-old-premium-single-barrel-straight-rye-whiskey-kentucky-usa and the Oregon one is squat and squared off. That's an easy way to tell.

As I said, Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7yr if you can find it. I'm also enjoying the Alley 6 rye (good packaging, too) from Healdsburg which is brand spanking new (my two cases were from their fourth batch ever made, they are now out of stock until more finishes aging) and excited to get my allocation of the Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye this afternoon.

Dickel Rye is a great budget rye. Wild Turkey 101 Rye is also a good bang for your buck. The 80 is too mellow. You may also enjoy Pendleton Rye. gently caress everything made by Sazerac. Angels Envy is a dumb gimmick brand and not at alllllll worth the price.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 12, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye

I got real excited until I goggled this. I also didn't know Maryland was a rye state, other then the aforementioned Pikesville.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Until you googled? Like, now that you did you aren't excited? Or am I misunderstanding?

Maryland and Pennsylvania ryes have a great long history. Originally grown as a cover crop to reinvigorate soil after it was stripped of nutrients growing tobacco. Right around Prohibition, Maryland was the nation's top rye growing (and Rye-producing) state.

http://liquor.com/articles/pennsylvania-and-maryland-rye-whiskey/#gs.AoDEiOk

http://m.wamu.org/#/programs/metro_connection/14/07/25/lyon_distilling_restores_maryland_s_rye_whiskey_tradition

Old MonanGahela used to be one of the quintessential American spirits, it's named after the second smallest town in Pennsylvania. High West uses it in one of their white whiskeys, although my personal preference is for the oat one.

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3983

Also, my staff really likes the Alberta Dark Rye. For me it's a little too nutty, but they've turned a lot of people onto it, I can't keep the drat stuff on my shelves.

If you can find it, AH Hirsch anything is extinct so snap it up.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 12, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

bunnielab posted:

If you've only got eight bucks, Pikesville Rye is surprising decent. If you only got eight bucks.

Now you've made me extremely jealous. Rye whiskey is nearly impossible to find here in Australia. What there is, is usually imported in small amounts from the expensive whiskey brands only.
I'm sure if you searched hard you might find a jim beam rye for $40 or something (E: confirmed, Dan Murphys liquor has it - not one liquor store anywhere near me carries it though). But for the most part, it's going to be $80+ from the brands with more prestige. EG sazerac is $110 rittenhouse is $80. I haven't even seen a rye whiskey since I moved 4-5 years ago closer to the CBD.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 12, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyways at my second job I walked in this morning and the place was destroyed. Like poo poo everywhere. Apparently money was missing.

It's kinda not cool cause home boy got poo poo canned and now I have to work his shifts...

The gently caress man.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A Man and his dog posted:

Anyways at my second job I walked in this morning and the place was destroyed. Like poo poo everywhere. Apparently money was missing.

It's kinda not cool cause home boy got poo poo canned and now I have to work his shifts...

The gently caress man.

On the plus side, you might get like eight tables.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've got $20k to spend on breakfast for 1100 people in Chicago, but it needs to be delivered to multiple floors of multiple office buildings within a 2 hour timeframe. How hosed am I?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, you were serious?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You're hosed bro, hope everyone likes mediocre breakfast tacos.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What do you have in terms of staff?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Trebuchet King posted:

What do you have in terms of staff?

I'm hoping the answer is something like "Uhhh, six people." :allears:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's doable if you have something like one person per office building dropping off huge boxes of egg mcmuffins on each floor.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

baquerd posted:

I've got $20k to spend on breakfast for 1100 people in Chicago, but it needs to be delivered to multiple floors of multiple office buildings within a 2 hour timeframe. How hosed am I?

Corner Bakery is probably your best bet on that budget.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Bottled breakfast Soylent and a t-shirt cannon. Your insurance covers windows, right?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Slamming slamming slamming as hard as I've ever slammed for weeks, even when we don't have tickets there's still poo poo to pick up and stay on top of due to a disastrous EcoSure walkthrough. I work hotside and slam it while Abuelita gets bailed out on cold side, and I work cold side and pick up her par counts.

**and then tonight we run out of chilean desserts**

And you know what? gently caress it, its on me. I was dessert side for a couple days, I shoulda seen we were low of the thing on the second goddamned menu we're running out of the kitchen to three loving outlets. Somehow it slipped my mind. Oops. Already I'm frazzled. Meanwhile, there's a big-top who's ticket printed out two seconds after another big-top, so they waited 30 minutes for entrees and are piiiissssssssed, and their desserts--some of which are Authentic Sysco Chilean Tres Leches, and some of which are Authentic Chilean Rice Pudding and some of which are our normal desserts--are comped. And I'm plating desserts for two big tops and some other outlets, I have five plates in front of me: three cheesecakes, two for the restaurant and one for room serivce, and two chocolate mousses (meese?) for the restaurant.

And this new manager we got, who is replacing a dear and beloved guy who was as good as I've ever seen, this new manager who's some department head out of the colossal loving hotels we have in Dallas or something, this new guy ~~reaches over the pass and waves a loving creme brulee place setting IN MY loving FACE~~

I say, "Hey, it's gonna be a sec, I gotta finish garnishes!" and took the plate and set it in the pass which is where plates go.

He wanted to write me up on the spot. He settled for Chef dressing me down in the pantry.

gently caress this poo poo.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 13, 2015

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pile of brown posted:

I'm SO allergic to gluten... like I totally can't have any... I think I'm like celiac or something... so like can I get the rice bread and also I'm going to stand around in this room where the air is 5% flour

oh my god the voice is in my head THE VOICE IS IN MY loving HEAD!! YOU PUT IT THERE!!!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Two and a half years, and yeah, absurdly thin. There is no money in baking unless you're doing a poo poo ton of it or doing custom-order cakes and sucking enough dick to get a TV deal.

As far as being worse than IT... let's just say that I went back to IT from the bakery. You are like bizzarro me. I tripled my hourly wage. For less work. If you're working a server room for that kind of money, and have any kind of experience or certification, laugh at them and start shopping your resume around. I'm a datacenter technician right now making well over 40k a year starting to run cable and do break/fix, and it is very much an entry level position. Some of my coworkers may be clinically retarded.

Edit : I know I sound bitter, but I loved the stuff I was doing in the bakery. It was just in no way shape or form worth all the bullshit, alcoholism, depression, and constant poverty that came from being in the industry. I worked 6-7 overnights a week for those two and a half years, took a grand total of five days of time off, and couldn't have called in sick unless I was literally dying in the hospital because there was noone else. We went through four people in the last year I was there trying to replace me on overnights so I could switch to day side and do some cake work for a change of pace, none of them panned out. Chef hadn't taken home a paycheck in five years.

Liquid Communism posted:

This. I'm in support engineering, meaning I'm a set of smart hands to do physical layer work for remote administrators. It's nothing I couldn't train a monkey with the ability to have attention to detail for, and pays pretty decently.

If you want to get into the ground floor on this stuff, all you need is to be able to interview well and demonstrate that you're not an idiot who thinks they're too good for labor and is going to quit the first time they're asked to chase cable across a hot dusty room all shift for a week. A+ certification is a joke as far as actually teaching you anything, but it will get you entry level interviews and if you've got the skills to be posting on an internet forum you could probably pass it with a month of studying a decent guidebook.

These postings are haunting me...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
If you want super lazy EZ jerbs, look into potable water treatment. Out here in California the licensing involves a couple of correspondence courses through Sac State, math that isn't much more complex than you'd do for ordering/portioning/baking ratios and such, and everyone who passes the tests gets put on the Dept of Health license list. So when plants (most of them municipal, most of them union) need operators they just mail openings out to everyone in the state. You'll get 3-5 a month, depending. It's a hell of a deal.

You'll make like 40-50k? starting plus benefits, and you should be making somewhere between 70-90k within 2-3 years. The only problem is most of the work involves sitting on your rear end and not doing a whole lot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

...as are the majority of bourbon, ryes and scotches on the market. What's your point?

As the other poster clarified above, BMH 's original blend was really incredible.

I've been through at least two bottles of BMH, it was ~$40/bottle back in the mid-2000s when I lived in Lexington. I never really thought it was any better or worse than Noah's Mill.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

These postings are haunting me...

If you are at all technically inclined/interested and you have the attention span to sit down and read a book it is something you should look into.

Stop by the working in it thread and it certifications thread. Make an account at cbtnuggets and use up your free week watching videos to find out what topics you're interested in (if any).

You're in Texas, right? Just type like "systems administrator" or "help desk" into Austin's craigslist or indeed to get some context. Restaurants will most likely still be there when/if the tech bubble pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
You'll still miss kitchens sometimes. I do. But then I go home and have a beer and remember that I don't have to stress about the bills.

• Locked thread