Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Emergency patch, servers are down. Wonder if it's to fix the A4 and retainer glitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

A general safe goal is to keep an entire inventory bag free. That way you'll start thinking about cleaning it out long before you get down to the last slot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly I'd use the Party Finder to set up Diadem gathering parties.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
First half decent MNK drop spotted:

Damage-wise Gordian are still better but it's better than i210 eso. :shrug:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mordiceius posted:

He is our pulse on the official forums. Most his posts are copy/paste from there. :ssh:

It's funny because there are multiple levels of people that are pissed off. Can some insane gear drop from Diadem? Sure. But you're going to have to walk through multiple layers of RNG and 99% of people may get ONE insane drop ever. You've got to get the gold chest drop, get a drop that is for your class, get a drop for a slot you need, get a drop with the right stats, and get a drop with the right allocation in those stats.

It's telling that the item everyone has been linking is the one image of the same loving bard pants. Any time I see a link saying "look at these stats! diadem is stupid!" it's always the same loving bard pants. These perfectly itemized items are loving rare.

The other way I've seen people pissed is just pubbies getting pissed at gatherers. I'm a healer. I queue as a healer. AST is the only class I have geared enough to queue. But when I'm queued with pubbies, as soon as I get flying, I'm going to switch to fisher and gently caress off to go fishing. This is a Grade A way to make pubbies froth at the mouth. And it is magical.

Even items in the 90th percentile (high stat A, mid stat B/C, low stat D) are way above i210s, but they're a way healthier version of it - as nice as the pants I got the other day are, they're only 23 stat points higher than the ones from Alex Savage, and that's all in my worst stat. Meanwhile, those bard pants are 139 substats more than that. That's ridiculous, and an item like that should not be capable of spawning anywhere.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Vil posted:

A general safe goal is to keep an entire inventory bag free. That way you'll start thinking about cleaning it out long before you get down to the last slot.

Yeah, I think I'll endeavor to do that from now on, especially now that I've lost out on something I actually want to have, instead of some dumb triple triad card.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Oh gross and I stepped in it. Serves me right posting past midnight. :argh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Niton posted:

Even items in the 90th percentile (high stat A, mid stat B/C, low stat D) are way above i210s, but they're a way healthier version of it - as nice as the pants I got the other day are, they're only 23 stat points higher than the ones from Alex Savage, and that's all in my worst stat. Meanwhile, those bard pants are 139 substats more than that. That's ridiculous, and an item like that should not be capable of spawning anywhere.

Who cares? Like seriously. Why does it matter?

Kuai
May 25, 2004
If your having gear problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but Diadem ain't one.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
How can you be out of touch enough to not see the problem with pink gear poo poo fest?

1. BiS now requires an insane amount of RNG to an actually probably impossible level. You can never actually get the best gear. Even if only 210 dropped for you from now till 3.2 for your job and you won every roll you would still not have BiS.

2. Greed only on DF means you can never DF this ever if your goal is gear.

3. Incentivizing loot stealing due to turn ins. Yeah it's cool that chest piece rolled 93 in every stat but I NEEDED 3 more coins.

4. IT'S BORING AS ALL loving HELL.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

The problem is that unless you somehow get a diadem item with perfect stat rolls, you'll never have the best gear you can get. Before, best-in-slot was 100% attainable. Challenging, but still attainable for anyone willing to put in the effort. Now, with diadem, this is best-in-slot for every class:

Fishious posted:

I made my new bis set for BLM

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/RYWF

and it's effectively impossible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

You can never actually get the best gear.

Not seeing a problem.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

same.

I love this game because I can do all of the content I want to, except the bullshit serious mode Savage poo poo, and still totally feel content and happy playing. Getting new gear is cool but this is the first MMO I've ever played where it's not a motivating factor.

I care more about how pretty my princess is.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Mordiceius posted:

Diadem gear is designed in such a way that it actually makes doing other things less fun, while simultaneously opening up serious mudflation concerns for future tiers of gear. The lack of a sanity cap on the gear's stats is very surprising with how savvy YoshiP seems to be.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Niton posted:

Diadem gear is designed in such a way that it actually makes doing other things less fun, because one of their primary rewards is now way worse than even a decent Diadem drop.

Yes, but the other methods are infinitely more reliable than diadem drops.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Belzac posted:

How can you be out of touch enough to not see the problem with pink gear poo poo fest?

1. BiS now requires an insane amount of RNG to an actually probably impossible level. You can never actually get the best gear. Even if only 210 dropped for you from now till 3.2 for your job and you won every roll you would still not have BiS.

2. Greed only on DF means you can never DF this ever if your goal is gear.

3. Incentivizing loot stealing due to turn ins. Yeah it's cool that chest piece rolled 93 in every stat but I NEEDED 3 more coins.

4. IT'S BORING AS ALL loving HELL.

Source your quotes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You don't see the problem because you don't have any experience to have an opinion that matters. If your view of the game does not focus on perfecting a set or playing at the top level then why are you even interjecting about how it's not a problem and having such poo poo opinions? It's ok to be a casual and enjoy casual things, but when people complain about a part of the game you know nothing about it's really annoying to see your constant responses about how it doesn't affect you lol i tink its fine.

It'd be like if all the crafters in the game started complaining about some obviously BS thing they are forced to do in order to be the best at crafting and I (who never crafts poo poo) jumped in and said I think it's fine cause I don't craft so it's ok!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Not seeing a problem.

I'm sorry that you're incapable of understanding problems that other people have.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sorry that you're incapable of understanding problems that other people have.

I'm sorry that your BiS gear insecurities cause you to try to imagine problems where none exist.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Last post about this got lost in the shuffle so I'm just asking one more time, In LoV I got to level 9 and can't seem to damage the boss. It wants me to use a trap on the field but unless I missed it the game never told me how to do this. Can someone explain this for me?

When a minion walks over to the plunger, a bomb will start to follow them around. If you use that minion's skill, they will set the bomb down and make a trap. 10 seconds after that, you can trigger the trap by pressing the blue button next to the red action button

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
A poster actually worse than me. I know you guys said it wasn't possible but he's right here in this thread posting.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Why are people acting surprised at this. Everyone figured that Diadem gear could be BiS if the RNG rolled right (thus, making it impractical except as a novelty) the moment it was announced that it would be Athereal gear.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Mordiceius posted:

I'm sorry that your BiS gear insecurities cause you to try to imagine problems where none exist.

The problem isn't that the gear is "a little better" as payoff - it's a lot better. Better enough that the next tier of gear has to start at i225+ in order to displace it. This means one of two things:

- The next cycle of gear will be massively more powerful than current gear.
- Gear dropped in the Diadem will be more powerful than any other gear available for progression in 3.2's raids.

Neither of these is a good thing.

Dr Pepper posted:

Why are people acting surprised at this. Everyone figured that Diadem gear could be BiS if the RNG rolled right (thus, making it impractical except as a novelty) the moment it was announced that it would be Athereal gear.

We're surprised by the degree of difference, I think. Even though I suspect Those Bard Pants to be a photoshop, we're still looking at gear that's punching way above its weight class.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
No one is surprised. No one will be surprised when the materia changes also make the game more poo poo for no reason. People were probably just hoping that the way to try to get your rng gear wasn't through XI style mob grinding combined with hunt call outs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Niton posted:

Diadem gear is designed in such a way that it actually makes doing other things less fun, while simultaneously opening up serious mudflation concerns for future tiers of gear. The lack of a sanity cap on the gear's stats is very surprising with how savvy YoshiP seems to be.
I can kinda see it, if the gear had sane caps then people would rapidly categorize and sort it into the existing hierarchy and that'd be that.
Without that there's a whole bunch of exceptions thrown into that prolong the interest in the content since some people are inevitably going to try and beat out the layered RNG, which requires more time, which fulfills Diadem's duty as a time sink.

On one hand it's insane that such gear exists, on the other hand it's even more insane to expect to get a full set of that gear before the next gear level(s) come out and obsolete it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Niton posted:

The problem isn't that the gear is "a little better" as payoff - it's a lot better. Better enough that the next tier of gear has to start at i225+ in order to displace it.

You mean like how the next ilvl jump is most likely going to be:

Common Tomestone Gear: 220
Upgraded Common: 230
Primal/Easy Raid Gear: 240
Uncommon Tomestone Gear: 250
Upgraded Uncommon: 260

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Those estimates are way off, since there won't be a new common tomestone. Also people have explained this poo poo to you and you don't listen so why am I even trying?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

well the goon Diadem LS filled up super fast and we're sending a steady stream of 24-man groups out where everyone is having a great time but I guess none of our opinions are valid since we're not insufferable poopsocking sperglords

Like seriously belzac you can gently caress right off with your lovely attitude; literally nobody in this thread would give a poo poo if you never posted here again. Every time you post I have to double check you're not Technogeek copy/pasting more OF hilarity

Actual BiS from Diadem gear is virtually impossible to the point where even attempting a full set of it is loving retarded and you bet your rear end that's by design. You will never, ever, ever see somebody with more than 1 or 2 pieces of Mistbreak gear that are BiS, so in practical terms your fancy Savage Alex epeen gear is still BiS

I mean who the gently caress even cares about BiS in this situation anyway? If you have full i210 somehow you've clearly already gotten AS down to a science, and so I don't see what a chest piece with 3 more Crit on it will do in the context of actual gameplay. As far as I can see it's literally all about epeen and bigger numbers

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Belzac posted:

Those estimates are way off, since there won't be a new common tomestone.
Uh, yes there will it'll be uncapped Esoterics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh, yes there will it'll be uncapped Esoterics.

Yeah and that buys 210 gear, not 230.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
But there wont be a new eso set. Meaning your "common" slot will be 200, the current eso set. Traditionally a whole raid tier has been 20 total ilevels. 90-110-130. This might be extended due to story alex to 30 but it won't be 50 you're proposing. Also stop defending a poo poo system with strawman poo poo no one is talking about. Either defend Diadem with a legit, reasoned idea on why it's ok to have this gear from this content or just stop talking about it. You don't have to defend every poo poo thing in this game cause you're baby. There are good and bad things and unless you're a fan of mindless grinding or no/random rewards and materia Diadem isn't for you, and even if you're a fan of it you can probably admit they did a poor job their first time at it and suggest things they could have done to improve it.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
I hope relics are better than savage alex weapons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Belzac posted:

suggest things they could have done to improve it.

well loving go ahead then because the last big argument you made literally boiled down to "you do not have as much experience as me in this game and therefore your opinion doesn't matter"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Diadem is a good idea because belzac hates it and we all know his gimmick is being wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One major improvement they could do is just make diadem gear behave like every other piece of gear in the game: one major stat and one minor stat, but randomly selected.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

drunk asian neighbor posted:

well the goon Diadem LS filled up super fast and we're sending a steady stream of 24-man groups out where everyone is having a great time but I guess none of our opinions are valid since we're not insufferable poopsocking sperglords

Like seriously belzac you can gently caress right off with your lovely attitude; literally nobody in this thread would give a poo poo if you never posted here again. Every time you post I have to double check you're not Technogeek copy/pasting more OF hilarity

Actual BiS from Diadem gear is virtually impossible to the point where even attempting a full set of it is loving retarded and you bet your rear end that's by design. You will never, ever, ever see somebody with more than 1 or 2 pieces of Mistbreak gear that are BiS, so in practical terms your fancy Savage Alex epeen gear is still BiS

I mean who the gently caress even cares about BiS in this situation anyway? If you have full i210 somehow you've clearly already gotten AS down to a science, and so I don't see what a chest piece with 3 more Crit on it will do in the context of actual gameplay. As far as I can see it's literally all about epeen and bigger numbers

See this is almost an argument for it but it just completely skips the why the gear had to be this much better and also fails to address what people who are progression raiders "need" to do in prep for 3.2 raids. Yes, hundreds of extra secondary stats do make a difference in "actual gameplay" when your goal is to down content at 210 that is tuned for 230+. Also you're responding to my "lovely attitude" with an even shittier one so "you can gently caress right off" as well.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm perplexed people think that it's ok that Alexander Savage 4 drops inferior loot to what are essentially random world drops. It goes back to that general question of, "Why do random people need gear better than AS4 when they keep arguing they just play the game for pretty cats?"

nuru fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 12, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Most tiers of players in an MMO will eventually hit some sort of "settling" wall to the tune of "this would give me an advantage, but it's a pain in the rear end to get, and in my life's priorities, the advantage is too small for the hassle required, so it'll be a Thing That Exists But That I Won't Bother Going For". For many active-but-not-hardcore players, for example, that wall was either AS1 or AS3 during 3.0. For more casual people, it may have been "keeping capped on esoterics each week" or even "caring about gear at all once the story's done".

But I think part of what self-professed "truly hardcore" players can claim, is that there is no such wall for them, and after exhausting the readily accessible efficient/reasonable options, they'll pursue bigger and bigger pains in the rear end for smaller and smaller incremental upgrades until they reach presently-attainable perfection, aka the BiS that gets worshipped so much. That they go for that pinnacle of optimization, no matter the price in time or patience or in-game currencies, is a point of significant pride to that crew.

And on the current discussion, this particular theoretical BiS is so very inefficient that it's making some of these players actually, perhaps for the first time in FF14 in some cases, face the idea of setting aside that claim and that pride and going "yeah, that's too much of a pain in the rear end for me, I'll (shudder) ... settle ... for this other thing instead". Or alternatively, being willing to accept the compromise if it's just about them and their pride, but being faced with the possibility that their world first competitors may be getting ahead of them in preparation for the 3.2 raid tier. Which creates an odd sense of obligation to do the grindy RNG thing that they otherwise wouldn't want to do.

And it's not like the alternatives (210 gear from Alex Savage and upgraded eso) are by any means bad in and of themselves. What would be settling for them would be amazingly super pimped out gear to pretty much anyone else.

Less hardcore players, who have long since gotten over the idea of not being Perfectly Geared And The Best, and who certainly give zero shits about world first competition, don't really bat an eye at any of this. They'll run Diadem for fun, for easy tomestones, for tokens leading to stuff to sell or a pegasus to ride, and if by some freak chance (and if you do all the math out, it really is a freak chance) they happen to win a super awesome item great, but it's not really the goal. From that perspective, trying to get a full set of perfectly itemized Diadem gear is just one more thing in the pile of "that's nice, not gonna bother".

But for the bleeding edge hardcore, who take pride in being the absolute best of the best? Yeah, I could see that being a struggle. It's a choice between a compromise (however minor) to that principle, and spending a shitload of time for something that RNG may never end up actually favoring you with.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lol at progression raiders whining at no longer having the biggest stat dick after 5 months of having it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Get item better than both Eso and Gordian 210 pieces?

"It's just okay, I guess. Could've been better."

I'm ambivalent towards the Diadem right now but I definitely understand why people are getting annoyed over the system. I don't think I'll ever put forth the effort to even attempt to get a full "BiS" Diadem set but going in with a large pack of goons and taking it easy for a while is enjoyable enough, and it's better than trying to grind Void Ark for specific drops after what they did with the loot table.

• Locked thread