Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I was hard after a 10mm Delta Cup, but gently caress me, the prices are out of control lately.

I think Taurus had a 10 mm revolver at one point, I'd love to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I was hard after a 10mm Delta Cup, but gently caress me, the prices are out of control lately.

You need a Witness, brother.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Not 10mm, but I've always wanted a Chiappa Rhino.

But I have VW/Audis, so no money.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

You need a Witness, brother.

My mom has .45 ACP witness. Nice gun, but I like the feel of a 1911.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Not 10mm, but I've always wanted a Chiappa Rhino.

But I have VW/Audis, so no money.

Thank you for thinking of the children.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ozmiander posted:

Thank you for thinking of the children.

:tipshat:

Motronic posted:

Magazine.
:goon:

Who gives a gently caress?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Motronic posted:

Seriously? Get a grip.

I had a bear try to come up and say hi twice last year while I'm sitting in a tree stand with nothing more than a loving bow.

You're drat right I carry a fuckoff big full sized 10mm with me while I bow hunt now.

Nice job on your assumptions. Or maybe I should carry a rifle for that purpose. Can you suggest an appropriate one? You seem to know what you're talking about.

Ah yes because bow hunting in bear country is a good idea and totally justifies allowing a weapon that is easy to hide and the leading firearm in shootings to still hang around

I for one definitely need a handgun to kill all the urban thugsbears in my Detroit suburb

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'd like to have a bunch of ridiculous guns to shoot pieces of paper at a range just like I'd like to have a bunch of ridiculous cars to go screw around on a track. We need better laws concerning access to guns as much as we need better laws for drivers licensing. :iiaca:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I'd like to have a bunch of ridiculous guns to shoot pieces of paper at a range just like I'd like to have a bunch of ridiculous cars to go screw around on a track. We need better laws concerning access to guns as much as we need better laws for drivers licensing. :iiaca:

Agreed.

I've almost got a basic schematic down for my Arduino ECU shield, its kinda along the lines of the RAMP boards for 3D printers, I gotta do some debugging though because I keep burning up the injector drivers.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 12, 2015

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

Ah yes because bow hunting in bear country is a good idea and totally justifies allowing a weapon that is easy to hide and the leading firearm in shootings to still hang around

I for one definitely need a handgun to kill all the urban thugsbears in my Detroit suburb

I always wanted to root for the underdog but you make it really tough.

e: Motronic, short shotgun? 18.5" barrel, maybe short/folding/no stock, buck and/or slugs....
e2: or a 10mm handgun because that's basically the best choice for innawoods defense and TT is full of inadequacy and salt.
e3: I'd actually really like to see statistics for murders committed with full-size 10mm handguns.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 12, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

N is for Nipples posted:

I always wanted to root for the underdog but you make it really tough.

Idk, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Handguns are much more detrimental to society as a whole than they are good. I mean I guess it could be fine as long as they are even more tightly controlled than they currently are, but all of my experiences with guns come from living in and around Detroit.

Most people do not live in bear country, and most people aren't going to be up a tree with a bow being poked at by a bear to justify handguns

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Most people do not live in bear country, and most people aren't going to be up a tree with a bow being poked at by a bear to justify handguns

I take handguns to the beach because gently caress stingrays, I shoot those motherfuckers dead.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Hey man, the vast majority of handguns kill nothing but paper if they're used at all. Maybe some animals. I know for a fact mine will never kill anything but paper, intruders, or me. I'd be surprised if something this effective at saving lives sees widespread bans in the US - they're already so restricted as it is. I hope I'm not around to see it. If you're deathly afraid of them, don't carry one. Odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that you'll never see the wrong end of one, and the odds of seeing the wrong end of a full-size 10mm handgun are absolutely astronomical.

This is car related because 10mm 10mm every bolt on a Japanese car is 10mm.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

I take handguns to the beach because gently caress stingrays, I shoot those motherfuckers dead.

While handguns may work well, I can testify that spear guns do not. Being attached by a 8ft ropevto a 4ft wide circle of pissed off flappy sea death that you just shot in the head is not a good thing. No matter how tasty they are in a pan. (me and a buddy were out spear fishing, he saw a big ray on the bottom, tried to spear it through the brain/spinal cord, missed horribly, got pulled around in circles by the ray trying to escape, finally it pulled the spear back through itself and took off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Moronic : Serbu Super Shorty with some 3" 12GA magnum slugs.

Or, given my name, the comedy option. Saw a Mosin down into an 8" bolt action pistol flamethrower.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

While handguns may work well, I can testify that spear guns do not. Being attached by a 8ft ropevto a 4ft wide circle of pissed off flappy sea death that you just shot in the head is not a good thing. No matter how tasty they are in a pan. (me and a buddy were out spear fishing, he saw a big ray on the bottom, tried to spear it through the brain/spinal cord, missed horribly, got pulled around in circles by the ray trying to escape, finally it pulled the spear back through itself and took off.

Feet don't work either. I tried to stomp one to death and guess what happened? I use a .38 now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Hey, we CAN call that a "clip".

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Tusen Takk posted:

Haha, so what do you suggest- don't go into the forest?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jamal posted:

Why does it require you to have a handgun instead of something like a shotgun?

Which is the greater good: thinning the deer herds, which may require you to protect yourself from wild animals, or, having handguns banned and saving a lot more lives every year

Frankly I understand both sides of the argument and I didn't really mean to start LF'ing in here, but honestly in a solid 90% of Americans, they have no reason nor need for a handgun and in my experience the only people that have CCW's around here can't loving wait for some minority to make them uncomfortable so they have a reason to finally use that shiny thing hidden under their belt or whatever

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Why does it require you to have a handgun instead of something like a shotgun?

Tbh lots of bear hunters that hunt with a bow carry a large caliber handgun that's easily accessible as well, because if you have a wounded pissed off bear coming at you it's a lot faster to pull out a handgun than it is to get a shotgun strapped to your back or wherever ready to shoot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Also, climbing a tree while juggling a shotgun AND a bow is a good way to drop both or fall out of the drat tree.

Also, Tusken, out here in Iowa deer kill more people every year than handguns. By at least double, ~200 total firearms deaths of all types vs ~500 fatal automobile crashes due to deer.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 12, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

leica posted:

Tbh lots of bear hunters that hunt with a bow carry a large caliber handgun that's easily accessible as well, because if you have a wounded pissed off bear coming at you it's a lot faster to pull out a handgun than it is to get a shotgun strapped to your back or wherever ready to shoot.

Oh see I thought we were talking about fending off potential bears while hunting deer in a tree

I guess if you live somewhere where there are bears then there could be exceptions since obviously there must be way less people around compared to other places

Still though

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, climbing a tree while juggling a shotgun AND a bow is a good way to drop both or fall out of the drat tree.

Also, Tusken, out here in Iowa deer kill more people every year than handguns.

Isn't that more because people hit them with cars or something and less because they're goring innocent children as they gallop down a suburban street?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When I'm walking around in the forest all day and up mountains and stuff I don't really want to lug around a big rear end shotgun on top of everything else. Handgun is light and out of the way.

Where I hunt there are plenty of grizzly bears. I don't bow hunt though and just bring bear spray in addition to a rifle. If I did bow hunt I would want a big handgun along as well.

Although if you are getting harassed by a big angry grizzly bear and bear spray doesn't work you are way better off having a 12 gauge with slugs over a handgun. By the time you figure out the bear spray isn't working you're probably getting mauled though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh see I thought we were talking about fending off potential bears while hunting deer in a tree

Either way. If I'm in a tree with a bow and quiver full of arrows, and who knows what the gently caress else on a tiny little tree stand I'd sure as hell rather carry a handgun for protection from predators than a bulky rear end shotgun, gently caress that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Think I'm gonna pick up a N64, consoles are pretty cheap, but of course Mario Kart is almost as much as a console :v:

Holy poo poo, good Mario Kart 64 carts sell for like $40? That's crazy. I have one sitting in my N64 bin right now.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

I guess if you live somewhere where there are bears then there could be exceptions since obviously there must be way less people around compared to other places

Obviously? I'm thirty minutes from downtown Los Angeles (the most populated county in the US) and I see between 1-4 different bears alternating regularly in my yard, nearly every month for the last ten years ( including cubs ). The other night I walked my girlfriend out to her car and there was a big rear end bear eating avacados in the dark, less than twenty feet away... I hit it with my flashlight when I heard it and we walked slowly back to the house. I am used to it and love having them around, but you bet your butt I also like having something in my pocket for short after dark walks with the dog, or taking out a late trash bag full of meat scraps.

They're very chill, predictable bears :3: but my dad surprised one by accident recently and it bluffed a short rush at him.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I hate my customers so much.

"Yeah I want the medium special."
"Sure, which one."
"The medium"
"The two for 6.99 each special?"
"No!"
"Ok... one medium. What do you want on it?"
"The special!"

There is no pizza called "the special". He ended up with a supreme, no idea what he was actually talking about.

:cripes:

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 12, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, good Mario Kart 64 carts sell for like $40? That's crazy. I have one sitting in my N64 bin right now.

Take a look at what Conker's Bad Fur Day is worth these days. Hell, try and find a copy of Wind Waker in decent shape for less than $40, and that was a flagship title for the GC. Once Nintendo stuff starts to appreciate it just skyrockets it seems.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Great Beer posted:

I hate my customers so much.

"Yeah I want the medium special."
"Sure, which one."
"The medium"
"The two for 6.99 each special?"
"No!"
"Ok... one medium. What do you want on it?"
"The special!"

There is no pizza called "the special". He ended up with a supreme, no idea what he was actually talking about.

:cripes:
Don't be mad at stoners, they're probably 1/3 of your business and they tip well because math is hard.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

I giggled.

jamal posted:

I've been into the forest hundreds of times. Unarmed. If you honestly think you need to have a firearm to go into a forest, you are an absolutely scaredy-pussy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tommychu posted:

Take a look at what Conker's Bad Fur Day is worth these days. Hell, try and find a copy of Wind Waker in decent shape for less than $40, and that was a flagship title for the GC. Once Nintendo stuff starts to appreciate it just skyrockets it seems.

I was trying to buy games over 10 years ago and conkers was $100 way back then.

Gun chat, I have time crisis with the light gun. Not afraid to bust out a CRT and use it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Isn't that more because people hit them with cars or something and less because they're goring innocent children as they gallop down a suburban street?

Yeah, and the only reason it isn't worse is because we kill a few thousand a year. Game population control is a huge deal since we drove off all the predators so they wouldn't eat livestock.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Guys, i've never been attacked by a bear, so having a pistol is stupid, you giant pussy. :smug:

Also, just use a totally safe for innocent women and children shotgun, you monster. :smug:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I take my .45-70 Henry Lever-action into the forest all the time. All the "casuals" on the first part of the trail look at me funny and some run away screaming, but they just can't handle my mountain-man status. It isn't for everybody.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

if you're not hand-carrying a gau-8 at all times hten lmao

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Negromancer posted:

I thought the venue/food was expensive but all the other poo poo is starting to really add up. $2500 for a loving DJ?!?!?! And that is the cheaper ones.

DJs are expensive because anyone whose DJ'd a wedding knows how utterly soul destroying it is to play utter shite for hours on end. Repeatedly. Because no fucker has any taste in music and just wants the most generic shite possible.

The problem with DJing weddings is it's very difficult to get excited about them because you're stuck in a room for hours on end playing poo poo music to a bunch of tanked up dickheads who just want to listen to trash. Think of the money as basically being payment for the DJ suffering for an evening as that's essentially what happens. You're essentially paying to aurally torture a person for an evening...

I have a friend who used to do alternative wedding DJ stuff as in he'd mix EVERY SINGLE TRACK as opposed to being a lovely jukebox DJ letting a track fade out and then smashing the next one in, completely devoid of any musical talent. He has a musical background and his music collection is obscenely huge (and he's an award-winning DJ in the first place), he did unreal amounts of research as a professional DJ (as in one that plays clubs and such) to see what tracks work, what tracks get the best response, what tracks fit, what tracks trashed white bitches want to dance to... His track selection was always on point, spanning decades of stuff and none of it particularly obvious and looking at the cost up there you could've flown him in and put him up in a nice hotel for less than your dudes are charging.

Thing is even though he never played your typical wedding fare he found working weddings horrible and it was all down to the guests being drunken arseholes. The thing about wedding DJs is they get hassled a lot by guests and as someone that's played out for the general public and found it annoying as gently caress, playing weddings is a whole different ballgame and I'd never do it, it's sheer hell. You can plan out an entire evening's music, tell the guests it's not a request thing and you'll still get bothered and shouted at because people + booze = the worst of humanity.

...and it's this reason why you pay out the arse for wedding DJs, because it's a thankless task.

Sorry for ranting.

*edit: I'm just remembering how much time he spent editing tracks just so they'd all flow better. loving hell, he was farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr too cheap considering the effort he put in.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 12, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It probably doesn't help that a lot of people think "why should I hire a DJ when I can just make a playlist in Spotify?"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

I take my .45-70 Henry Lever-action into the forest all the time. All the "casuals" on the first part of the trail look at me funny and some run away screaming, but they just can't handle my mountain-man status. It isn't for everybody.

I rely on the simplicity of my Titanium Kershaw Leek to both provide me with the cutting power to open the most taped-up package AND confront rampaging bears in the woods. That's how I roll.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mariooncrack posted:

It probably doesn't help that a lot of people think "why should I hire a DJ when I can just make a playlist in Spotify?"

To be fair a lot of wedding DJs are no better than doing this anyway... I've suffered many jukebox DJs over the years at various family events and they're ruining the game for people like my friend who actually put in effort as opposed to take a wedge of cash to phone it in for a few hours on a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

To be fair a lot of wedding DJs are no better than doing this anyway... I've suffered many jukebox DJs over the years at various family events and they're ruining the game for people like my friend who actually put in effort as opposed to take a wedge of cash to phone it in for a few hours on a weekend.
This is why you get a live band who only do covers of well-known songs, or a playlist picked out by the couple getting hitched. Our reception is going to have something like this and my 5'4" will-be-my-wife-one-day will be taking the mic for Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. We're also doing this because we went to 6 weddings in one summer and they all followed the ceremony/dinner/reception/DJ progression and it was soooooooo booooooooooooooooring.

• Locked thread