Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

intel's fat stacks are in the sever market

1st generation attempt at arm servers has been a flop, but if apple can make some crazy arm chips in the future, intel can finally die

let me know when nothing runs on x86 anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am interested to see how they get that memory bandwidth in the a9x. if it is package on package lpddr4 that would fit for 4GB if the package is huuuuge but not work for 8/16GB like in a normal laptop.

its an impressive soc for sure, someone do a teardown already

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

kwinkles posted:

i am interested to see how they get that memory bandwidth in the a9x. if it is package on package lpddr4 that would fit for 4GB if the package is huuuuge but not work for 8/16GB like in a normal laptop.

its an impressive soc for sure, someone do a teardown already

IIRC iPads usually aren't pop, probably because they aren't pressed for space and rather have the thermal headroom

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mishaq posted:

1st generation attempt at arm servers has been a flop, but if apple can make some crazy arm chips in the future, intel can finally die

It was interesting that almost the only they flopped is because they were 32-bit and thus limited address space. The :yayclod: wants low power gigantic memory servers. It is possible SSD could have covered things for a while as SSD performance is touted as good enough to replace memory stacking.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dodoman posted:

let me know when nothing runs on x86 anymore

if your backend software depends on the underlying cpu architecture, youre doing it wrong™

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endless Mike posted:

and intel dying is good because???

they have major manufacturing sites on land stolen from palestinans and should be boycotted as part of the boycott, divestment, and sactions movement

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

and intel dying is good because???

hail apple

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
stymie recommending amd ITT

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

cremnob posted:

Apple in talks to launch person-to-person Apple Pay mobile payments system in 2016

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/11/apple-pay-person-to-person-payments/

nice

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Last Chance posted:

yeah really damning, jeez tim take it easy!!!

i am 1000% sure he said "diluted" and they wrote "deluded" because they don't know what words mean at the verge.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kwinkles posted:

i am 1000% sure he said "diluted" and they wrote "deluded" because they don't know what words mean at the verge.

you know i bet youre right

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
gonna own to use my iPad pro to pay for food at trader joes when I get it

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

i bought an iphone yesterday

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Skarp posted:

i bought an iphone yesterday

goongrats

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
good job buying an iPhone that's out of date in 10 months

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mishaq posted:

if your backend software depends on the underlying cpu architecture, youre doing it wrong™

yeah let me just take down my uptime critical servers to recompile the software to a different instruction set, cool idea

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

Athletic Footjob posted:

good job buying an iPhone that's out of date in 10 months

ty :tipshat:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yeah let me just take down my uptime critical servers to recompile the software to a different instruction set, cool idea

richard is that you?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

mishaq posted:

the sever market

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fabricated posted:

ban cremnob

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you mods are pussy little bitches , no one wants to dirty their hands. "ban cremnob" says the guy who can do it but cant muster up enough semen in his balls to do so.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

if you get enough guts to do it, i will immediately buy xis acct back for xim

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ban cremnob from one of his misogynistic threads about leaureen powel or marissa mayer not CPU chat

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

:toot:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

woot the iPad Pro has USB 3 and maybe Duet will be really fast? idk

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/12/ipad-pro-lightning-port-usb-3-0-speeds/?utm_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=front

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niD1N1d4nTc

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
they are both pretty bad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Dodoman posted:

they are both pretty bad

?

they are both at 120 fps, at actual speed the lag is barely noticeable on the iPad Pro

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
okay but the surface pro 4 footage isn't there to compare it to.

it probably is terrible but it's the principle of the matter. :colbert:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ok, maybe the iPad pro has the edge on this one. But is this slight improvement in latency enough to justify buying it? I mean, you even have to slow it down in order to notice it.
If you look at the type of software and the kind of work they can both perform, the Surface is a thousand times better.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Ok, maybe the iPad pro has the edge on this one. But is this slight improvement in latency enough to justify buying it? I mean, you even have to slow it down in order to notice it.
If you look at the type of software and the kind of work they can both perform, the Surface is a thousand times better.

source
your
quotes

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Stymie posted:

they have major manufacturing sites on land stolen from palestinans and should be boycotted as part of the boycott, divestment, and sactions movement

lol jews

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

THC posted:

i wasn't even paying attention to the lag all i could see was the surface's constant clipping of curved edges while it was way less noticeable on the ipad idk not an artist

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah but it runs windows software, so your argument is invalid.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stymie posted:

my dad went on a business trip to the Israel Design Center once and he had to wear a kevlar vest and a hard hat in case of mortar/rocket attack. lmao

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they must be getting some unreal tax benefits from the israeli government

either that or their executives are insane zionist fanatics

or both i guess

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

my dad went on a business trip to the Israel Design Center once and he had to wear a kevlar vest and a hard hat in case of mortar/rocket attack. lmao

i'd be scared of getting killed by the idf if i were there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

outspoken human rights advocate tim cook praised JSIL once a while back but i cant find a more recent case

• Locked thread