Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Whedon's Astonishing is probably him at his best

Seconded. In fact, it's the only run I can think of that humanizes Cyclops and makes him cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seconded. In fact, it's the only run I can think of that humanizes Cyclops and makes him cool.

Morrison's New X-Men does a great job with that, too. It has the best Cyclops/Wolverine one-shot ever.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was reading a decent amount of Marvel before the dumb Axis thing stepped in and started ruining all my storylines. Is that poo poo and whatever multiverse fuckery that happened done with?

I was really digging the "fun" titles (Ms. Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Loki: Agent of Asgard, Superior Foes of Spider-Man). Are those or something similar still going? Also any gritty street-level stuff on the same wavelength as Daredevil before the move to San Francisco?

Im reading Ales Kot's Secret Avengers right now and it is definitely fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah I knew Axis was only a while but didn't it immediately flow into a new secret wars or something? Massive crossover events just murder my interest in following my favorite stories so I stepped out to let all that poo poo resolve itself. I'll check out the ones you mentioned. Any of the Spider-people doing anything fun?

Honestly, the Spider-line is pretty universally strong at the moment (well, I dunno about 2099, it's just about the only one I don't read.), with Spider-Woman and Silk particular stand-outs, but Spider-Gwen and ASM have both been pretty good also. Silk feels very traditional super-heroing juggled with Average Joan trials, and has one of my favourite portrayals of J Jonah Jameson as Cindy/Silk's mentor (He even likes her as a superhero and cheers for her over Spidey), and Spider-Woman feels like what it sounds like people got out of Superior Foes and Ant-Man but I didn't quite see. The preview story in the new ASM #1 was a good indicator of the tone, with a pregnant Jessica beating the crap out of a bunch of D-list villains with groceries and bitching about her friends coddling her just because she's got a bun in the oven.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What can you guys tell me about this book?

http://www.amazon.ca/Orion-Walter-Simonson-Omnibus/dp/1401255353/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447003349&sr=8-1&keywords=orion+walter+simonson

I know Simonson's quite talented from his Thor run, is this a good run?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What can you guys tell me about this book?

http://www.amazon.ca/Orion-Walter-Simonson-Omnibus/dp/1401255353/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447003349&sr=8-1&keywords=orion+walter+simonson

I know Simonson's quite talented from his Thor run, is this a good run?
It's good. drat GOOD. Like, buy it right this second good.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is Astro City not just a weak knock off of've Top Ten? If that's not the case, I will set aside time to purchase and peruse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

osietra posted:

Is Astro City not just a weak knock off of've Top Ten? If that's not the case, I will set aside time to purchase and peruse.

Astro City came out first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

osietra posted:

Can't believe an opinion like this was created. AC is one of the best super hero things ever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Astro City came out first.

It's also a better book, which is no slight against Top 10.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for what's good in the ANAD Marvel camp?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

10 Beers posted:

So, does anyone have any recommendations for what's good in the ANAD Marvel camp?

If I were to do a Top 5 so far it would be:

1 Invincible Iron Man
2 The Ultimates
3 New Avengers
4 Amazing Spider-Man
5 All New Wolverine

Also notably great: Contest of Champions, Web Warriors, Nova, Hercules, Vision, Uncanny Inhumans.

Really pretty much all the books I've read have been at worst good. The only stuff I've skipped so far is Carnage, Howard The Duck, Squirrel Girl, Drax, Spider-Gwen, and Angela so I can't speak for those.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Jason Aaron's Doctor Strange is fantastic and a must-read.
New Avengers and Uncanny Inhumans are way better than I was expecting, especially since I'm not familiar with the characters as well.
Amazing Spider-Man is good if you like what Dan Slott is doing.
Ant-Man is going for the same tone as the movie.
Uncanny Avengers and Howling Agents of Shield have a lot of potential, but haven't impressed me.

I'm just now getting back into comics. I usually stick to Marvel Unlimited, so I'm trying out a little bit of everything with this ANAD Marvel

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

New Avengers, Squirrel Girl, & Doctor Strange are all well worth your time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New Avengers, regular Avengers, Ultimates, Squirrel Girl and Wolverine are probably the ones I like most so far. Of course, Spider-Woman and Silk aren't out yet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

10 Beers posted:

Pretty much everthing has been good to great. Even Uncanny Avengers got a lot better in issue 2.

Doctor Strange and Invincible Iron Man have been my standouts so far.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Doctor Strange and Iron Man are both ok, but I'd hardly go wild over them.

New Avengers is definitely great so far, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Distinct lack of The Vision in these picks. That's dumb. The Vision.
The Vision.

Tom King's The Vision.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Distinct lack of The Vision in these picks. That's dumb. The Vision.
The Vision.

Tom King's The Vision.

I liked the first book a lot, but I'm afraid it's not going to stick with the narration style for long.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

Really pretty much all the books I've read have been at worst good. The only stuff I've skipped so far is Carnage, Howard The Duck, Squirrel Girl, Drax, Spider-Gwen, and Angela so I can't speak for those.

Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, and Angela: Queen of Hel I liked and would recommend but I'd add the caveat for all of them that they're not really proper #1 jumping on points. You totally can just hop in and you could probably enjoy them, but it might be easier if you check out pre-SW Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, and Angela: Asgard's Assassin first. All of these series were fairly short (5, 8, 5, and 6 issues respectively) and good.

Carnage I read and felt it's a pretty bland horror story. Like, if you know who Carnage is, it's basically what you'd imagine; some guys try to take him down, he slips them, now they're chasing him, also Eddie Brock is here and has a new symbiote and seems to be getting really excited to see Carnage kill more innocent people.

E: Oh and I'll also add in addition to everyone else's recommendations, Illuminati started this week and managed to beat All-New Wolverine as my comic of the week which really surprised me considering how good a start I felt ANW was, and how little expectations I had for Illuminati.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 13, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just read Iron Man #3 and ok yeah it's p good

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Wow, Illuminati was really, really good.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like it's time to go shopping.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

My wifes been getting into comics lately, which means I've been spending time in comic book stores. I really enjoy hard sci-fi, and every time I tell someone at a comic book store that I like hard sci fi they seem really confused, almost to the point where I am starting to think that this isn't a genre for comic books. I just want something that is sci fi that doesn't feature super powers, maybe a story about politics or exploration. That would be nice, does this exist?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

My wifes been getting into comics lately, which means I've been spending time in comic book stores. I really enjoy hard sci-fi, and every time I tell someone at a comic book store that I like hard sci fi they seem really confused, almost to the point where I am starting to think that this isn't a genre for comic books. I just want something that is sci fi that doesn't feature super powers, maybe a story about politics or exploration. That would be nice, does this exist?

Black Science maybe?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

You might look at Ex Machina. While it does deal with super powers, the main thrust of the series is that the protagonist feels he isn't accomplishing anything substantial by flying around in a costume, and instead runs for mayor of New York City circa 2001.

Also, Transmetropolitan is about a gonzo journalist in a cyberpunk future, and has plenty of political and social commentary.

e: Also, also: Saga. Read Saga. It should be exactly what you're looking for.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Manhattan Projects and Letter 44?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It's manga, but Planetes is exactly what you're looking for; I believe Dark Horse has an omnibus coming out in December? You might also try 2001 Nights, if you can find a copy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I remember liking Universal War One, put out in the US by Marvel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_War_One

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Manhattan Projects and Letter 44?

Letter 44 is dead on, it's a great scifi story featuring politics and exploration.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shitshow posted:

It's manga, but Planetes is exactly what you're looking for; I believe Dark Horse has an omnibus coming out in December? You might also try 2001 Nights, if you can find a copy.

These are both excellent suggestions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Books currently going that might be in the direction you're looking for: Letter 44, Faster Than Light, Invisible Republic, The Bunker. Probably a few more if I had time to properly think, but those are a good start.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll throw in Lazarus (maybe), Trees, Orbiter (this is a bit old). If you're ok with "less hard" but still pretty sci-fi I will add Prophet, Black Science, and Fear Agent (this is about the low end of "hard").

Saga is a terrible suggestion for hard sci-fi but it is a decent book.

There are other books that are relatively hard sci-fi but they are also IMO not very good like Roche Limit, and to be honest I might toss Trees into this pile as well.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Do Descender and Trillium meet that criteria? Not really a SciFi guy but I am a Jeff Lemire one.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Descender and Trillium are SciFi-ish, kind of like Star Wars the way they travel through outer space while dealing with more fantasy-like forces.

Descender's got a bunch of robots and is the lovelier of the two thanks to Nguyen, but they're both worth checking out, in my opinion.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
e: nevermind.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 22, 2015

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Are there any other supernatural/horror/mythological creatures comics out there like Hellboy/BPRD?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Beasts of Burden.
Lots of The Sixth Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's a lot of webcomics along those lines, if you're into that sort of thing.