Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GreyPowerVan posted:

I want to stop them from colonizing before they start.

Prevent Offensive African Unit Skins CB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

gently caress it I've been at 3 stab for years because of the pope anyways, I really want to just no-cb vassalize connacht.

I'll see tomorrow when I get on.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
If speed is important, you can starting getting claims on England by just annexing Connacht in your war instead of vassalizing+annex. Connacht is really cheap to core, and having them just as a vassal probably won't give you any CBs on England which is what it sounds like you need.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

thatdarnedbob posted:

If speed is important, you can starting getting claims on England by just annexing Connacht in your war instead of vassalizing+annex. Connacht is really cheap to core, and having them just as a vassal probably won't give you any CBs on England which is what it sounds like you need.

I guess. I might take one of their provinces and core the other so I can start feeding them England. Also eventually vassalize the remnants of Scotland (reduced to only Orkney now) and re-feed his cores to him.

EDIT: Also, gently caress France. I allied them to help me out with my wars against Castille and Aragon, and they haven't helped ONCE. They're always in a truce or another war.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 12, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Do the fun thing and feed all of Britain to Wales.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Do the fun thing and feed all of Britain to Wales.

That would require me to release wales instead of using the two readymade vassals.

Wait, do Irish countries or Scotland ever take ideas to make coring more expensive?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Dibujante posted:

False. All Africans were and are primitive tribes. Now let me tell you about how political correctness is ruining are country.

Please tell me more about how a game can be a vector for cultural change. We are all waiting for someone to interject here.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

GreyPowerVan posted:

That would require me to release wales instead of using the two readymade vassals.

Wait, do Irish countries or Scotland ever take ideas to make coring more expensive?

All the Irish and both Cornwall and Wales all take aristocratic second, Scotland is the only safe choice.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Please tell me more about how a game can be a vector for cultural change. We are all waiting for someone to interject here.

He didn't say that at all.

I realize most people, me included, don't ever look at the unit graphics. But some of you are getting real dumb about a pretty simple objection.

Not all of Africa was Zulu and the dude who said they were is dumb af lmao

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I scored a fire 5 general, in 1467 as Bengal. Thanks for nothing game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Dibujante posted:

Those models are literally offensive. They would be like producing Jewish advisor portraits that look like this:

These would be extremely good and a nice extra source of revenue for paradox.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

That's a nice strawman you got there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jewish Theocratic Ethiopia is great, almost pulled it off in Zara Yaqob's life too. Now to stick to being the regional god of the Red Sea.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
A new dev diary is up!

This one details the whole "demand cores or war" mechanic that has been hinted.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

I want to stop them from colonizing before they start.

Imo this isn't really necessary. If you can no-CB Connacht without too much pain, go for it, but England is a fairly slow colonizer out of the gate (only 2 colonists as they don't take Expansion early) and it is very easy to mop up a few colonies if they get started before you can cut them off.

You're unlikely to completely break them in one war anyway, probably you'll attack them a couple times, taking the few colonies they've managed to establish in the mean time (if any), and grab a bunch of their European stuff.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dibujante posted:

A new dev diary is up!

All these are great and something I've thought has been missing since the beginning.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

the ottomans are not having a good time at all in my game

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

ThePutty posted:

the ottomans are not having a good time at all in my game

Go Achaea go

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dibujante posted:

A new dev diary is up!

If the popup as a victim of demand core isn't "Provincename or War!" I will be disappointed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

If the popup as a victim of demand core isn't "Provincename or War!" I will be disappointed.

I'd like a frowny faced 3d advisor too, holding out his hands.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jazerus posted:

There needs to be an achievement for demanding Danzig in this manner.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Those models are literally offensive. They would be like producing Jewish advisor portraits that look like this:

???

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Oh dear, you're right

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dibujante posted:

The Dragon Emperor's Demand: Demand your core Danzig as Bhutan.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jazerus posted:

The Dragon Emperor's Demand: Demand your core Danzig as Bhutan.

A glorious moral victory: Rename a province something offensive before complying with a return core demand for it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I'm doing my first Ironman game - started as Holland, allied France, formed the Netherlands, yada yada the usual - and I ran into a really weird thing. It's around 1650 and I'm chugging along doing OK in Europe and earning tons of cash from trade. I want to take a few provinces in Malacca, declare war on Pasai and call in my trusty ally France just for the hell of it, win (France never showed up ofc) and within weeks of the peace agreement France first accepts a renewed royal marriage and then suddenly breaks their alliance with me. The relations tooltip looks like this:

Apparently they suddenly started desiring all my provinces in Indonesia and the Philippines for a nice -200 relations hit. Their closest province is a colony on Madagascar and we've been allies the entire time since 1444 despite different religions and border frictions - "trusts the Netherlands utterly" :wtc:

I mean I can most likely make it out of this fine if they declare war, I was their only real significant ally and I'm slightly ahead of them in power, but jeez it's gonna be a nuisance. Why did they do this?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 13, 2015

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
They probably got some "gently caress all your friends" mission.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Apparently they suddenly started desiring all my provinces in Indonesia and the Philippines for a nice -200 relations hit. Their closest province is a colony on Madagascar and we've been allies the entire time since 1444 despite different religions and border frictions - "trusts the Netherlands utterly" :wtc:

I mean I can most likely make it out of this fine if they declare war, I was their only real significant ally and I'm slightly ahead of them in power, but jeez it's gonna be a nuisance. Why did they do this?

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah this is a pretty lovely mechanic right now, what happens is even an AI who has been your most loyal trusted ally forever will suddenly hate you because they take a mission to conquer some region you have provinces in, which instantly tanks your relations.

Should be fixed with the upcoming expansion though I believe

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Arrhythmia posted:

welp

You mean like some general "get a foot in the door in east asia" thing which makes them just want to grab anything/everything there?

e:

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah this is a pretty lovely mechanic right now, what happens is even an AI who has been your most loyal trusted ally forever will suddenly hate you because they take a mission to conquer some region you have provinces in, which instantly tanks your relations.

Should be fixed with the upcoming expansion though I believe

Right. I'll probably keep playing and see what happens, it's just not ironman without the potential for everything going horribly wrong. Still, I really do hope they fix that because it's kinda bullshitt-y.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 13, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TheFluff posted:

welp

You mean like some general "get a foot in the door in east asia" thing which makes them just want to grab anything/everything there?

yup, they won't get missions to conquer X province because you're their bud, but they'll still take the missions that are like "establish a base in India" or "establish trade in China" which give claims on the whole region and gently caress your relations for every owned province

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If they complete or fail the mission you'll lose the relation penalty and can immediately re-ally them again. Which of course makes no sense but there it is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

That's the point though; the game portrays many non-tribal societies in Africa as tribal societies

Yeah I wish they got used for like, the Kongo and Funj and stuff and not the real actual kingdoms like Ethiopia and Mali.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

Probably something easy like "Heart of Iron" demand Danzig as Germany.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Probably something easy like "Heart of Iron" demand Danzig as Germany.

"Anschluss"

As Germany, demand Austria's last province.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

TheFluff posted:

welp

e:

Right. I'll probably keep playing and see what happens, it's just not ironman without the potential for everything going horribly wrong. Still, I really do hope they fix that because it's kinda bullshitt-y.

I managed to dodge this in my Holland -> Netherlands run by taking a relatively poor province in India and just giving it to France. Once the mission was gone our relations went up high enough to renew the alliance for the rest of the game, and they never actually expanded into Asia in any meaningful way.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

I'm doing my first Ironman game - started as Holland, allied France, formed the Netherlands, yada yada the usual - and I ran into a really weird thing. It's around 1650 and I'm chugging along doing OK in Europe and earning tons of cash from trade. I want to take a few provinces in Malacca, declare war on Pasai and call in my trusty ally France just for the hell of it, win (France never showed up ofc) and within weeks of the peace agreement France first accepts a renewed royal marriage and then suddenly breaks their alliance with me. The relations tooltip looks like this:

Time for you and Spain to take a slice of French Pie.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I'm playing as scotland and after my last war the AI is just leaving exiled armies in my land. What gives this has happened a few times in other games and it makes no sense.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

try reloading

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Thanks for the tips Eej & Potoweet, that should make it a lot less painful.

Tsyni posted:

Time for you and Spain to take a slice of French Pie.

We're rivals and they're not as powerful as they look. The yellow blob in what was formerly England is Scotland in a personal union with almost-whole-Scandinavia Sweden. The remains of England (basically four provinces around Bristol, one province on Ireland and two or three insignificant colonies) is my vassal. Spain holds a bunch of West Africa but I've taken their important trade ports on the Ivory Coast so I'm the one raking in the profits from that, dominating all the trade ports between the Spice Islands and the English Channel. Instead, they're busy losing wars against the Inca. I don't give a poo poo about South America except Panama so it's all a huge blob of Portuguese and Spanish colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The form netherlands decision requires you to give up your French provinces, right?

What if France is my vassal? Or they are dead?

EDIT: Also, does diplomatic reputation have anything to do with PU or is it only prestige + royal marry people with no heir?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 13, 2015

• Locked thread