Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It may be just coincidence but...

John Wesley Shipp

2010 Batman: The Brave and the Bold Professor Zoom Voice only

Still going with him being Zoom

Not coincidence, the same kind of wink wink casting that led to him playing Flash Dad in this series.

I am sitting in the camp where I kind of hope Zoom doesn't have a relevant secret identity. He could just be the monstrous force of nature created by Wells 2 pointing his particle accelerator at the speed force and cranking the dial to 11. The character loses a lot of weight the instant that super cool mask reveals just some dude no matter what familiar face it is. At this point they have drilled it into the viewers head with Harry and Dr Light that E2 Dopplegangers are entirely different characters without preconceived baggage that would impact the lives of the E1 cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're already doing another evil Flash villain, if he turns out to just be someone Barry knows again that's going to feel redundant.

The only version that would really work there is if he was Earth 2 Barry himself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neon Knight posted:

Not coincidence, the same kind of wink wink casting that led to him playing Flash Dad in this series.

I am sitting in the camp where I kind of hope Zoom doesn't have a relevant secret identity. He could just be the monstrous force of nature created by Wells 2 pointing his particle accelerator at the speed force and cranking the dial to 11. The character loses a lot of weight the instant that super cool mask reveals just some dude no matter what familiar face it is. At this point they have drilled it into the viewers head with Harry and Dr Light that E2 Dopplegangers are entirely different characters without preconceived baggage that would impact the lives of the E1 cast.

My pet theory is Wells inadvertently created Zoom and then deliberately caused the accelerator accident. To create Metas who might be able to defeat/kill Zoom.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here's Barry getting owned:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

What if Jay is lying and he's the Jay from Earth-1 that's why he doesn't have his powers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if he's Jay Leno and he's like "So Zoom just defeated the Flash and dragged him all around the city. Have you seen this? Have you heard about this? Kevin?"

"Heh heh heh naw man"

"This guy is FAST, Kevin!"

"Fast?"

"HE'S FAST!"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

They're already doing another evil Flash villain, if he turns out to just be someone Barry knows again that's going to feel redundant.

The only version that would really work there is if he was Earth 2 Barry himself.

if he's Earth 2 Barry then he must have gotten his hands on some Earth 2 Megasteroids

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

What if he's Jay Leno and he's like "So Zoom just defeated the Flash and dragged him all around the city. Have you seen this? Have you heard about this? Kevin?"

"Heh heh heh naw man"

"This guy is FAST, Kevin!"

"Fast?"

"HE'S FAST!"

You're a monster.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

You're a monster.

On Earth 2 Jay Leno just retired from The Late Show and got replaced with Steve Carrel.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rhyno posted:

You're a monster.

To the Pipeline!

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I don't really read the Flash comics that much but isn't Reverse Flash and Zoom the Flash's biggest enemies? Grodd's pretty big too but with the way they've been doing this show, there's an overarching villain with other smaller villains throughout. Are there any other big villains that the Flash has?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

enraged_camel posted:

The only thing that could make this better is if they used the *TONK* sound effect from when Barry knocked out Dr Light last episode.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I don't really read the Flash comics that much but isn't Reverse Flash and Zoom the Flash's biggest enemies? Grodd's pretty big too but with the way they've been doing this show, there's an overarching villain with other smaller villains throughout. Are there any other big villains that the Flash has?

The Rogues, especially Captain Cold, but they're more like professional rivals rather than I-want-to-completely-destroy-you enemies.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Zoom is a loving boss

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad Moon posted:

To the Pipeline!

It'd be pointless. greatn would just trick Cisco into letting him out via their mutual love of terrible puns.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Kinda sorta. The thing is that Professor Zoom, the Reverse Flash, started out as just an evil opposite who would turn up from time to time. Then in the late 70's when DC decided to make their comics more soap opera like he turned particularly murderous and killed Iris (how she got better is insane, stupid, and involved a future where the earth is ruled by a robotic Abraham Lincoln who is shot by robot John Wilkes Booth). He was going to kill Barry's second wife only Barry killed him first which kind of ruined the wedding ceremony. Because he's a time traveller, Professor Zoom still came back a few times and those stories were pretty big deals, but if you were rattling off Flash villains he likely wouldn't be mentioned in the top five.

Zoom (who never even earned a doctorate) was a criminal profiler who got injured and was a bit mad that the Flash (not Barry at the time) didn't do more to help people. So when he got the power to control his own flow of time (which looks a lot like super speed but was even faster), he decided to make the Flash's life miserable with the idea that tragedy breeds better heroes. Zoom was the Flash's biggest enemy for a few years during this.

As for other big Flash villains, the Flash has probably the second most expansive rogue's gallery in comic books so there's lots more even before you hit general DC universe villains that could easily be incorporated into the show. Most of them aren't known for their long term planning, but then neither were the various anti-Flashes so they can make it work for the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Reverse Flash is indeed Barry's greatest villain ever. I'm torn on who Wally's is as until Savitar he never had any baddies that were a real threat. Zoom was tailor made to be as evil as possible, to out Zoom Professor Zoom. I think prior to Zoom Wally's greatest foe was his crippling self doubt.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Wally's best villains were the Rogues. They were just a stream of endless puns in costumes until Wally came around and they developed personality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

Wally's best villains were the Rogues. They were just a stream of endless puns in costumes until Wally came around and they developed personality.

Yeah but really only when Johns wrote them. Waid hated the Rogues and even killed them just to get rid of them. Hell he's still angry that he bowed to editorial pressure ad brought them back to life.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That episode was pretty drat hilarious, and Zoom is just loving scary, as he gives no fucks. He wants to kill Barry, but he wants to destroy him too. If he just straight up killed him, that would make the Flash a martyr and more of a hero and people would fight back harder, and Zoom doesn't want a whole city against him, even if he's super fast, it just takes one bullet or some fancy thing from Sisco to take him out.

I also find it amusing that two different superhero shows on the same night both had people being saved from falling by someone vibrating the air.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My only issue with the main plot is that it has been extremely predictable so far. We all knew how the fight with Zoom would turn out, that he would beat Barry but not be able to kill him off for whatever reason. And that's exactly what happened.

Don't get me wrong, the show is great, but they can take it to the next level if they decide to move away from cliches like "the hero gets cocky and takes on an enemy far stronger, gets his rear end whooped, then gets stronger and beats the villain on round 2". That's why I think Season 1's main plot was a lot more intriguing.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I mean yeah we knew Barry was going to lose the fight, but I don't think anyone was expecting the sheer brutality of it.

Really though, it feels like Zoom is going to be a Big Bad that lurks in the shadows but is only pulled out for special occasion - I highly doubt we'll be seeing a Round Two any time soon. Eobard was a functioning member of Team Flash, and practically the de-facto leader before he was revealed, but his goal was more motivated by personal interest than revenge. Zoom is just a monster and he has no reason to go easy on Barry, whereas Eobard was always holding back before their fight in the pipeline.

I'd love for Eobard to come back though some day. They keep bringing him up so much in conversation, I feel like there's no way they aren't building up to a return in some form.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Looks like everyone sold Jay short since he had managed to fight Zoom off on his own before.

I'd like to see him and Wally get powers while Barry recovers. But just bring in Wally already!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I mean yeah we knew Barry was going to lose the fight, but I don't think anyone was expecting the sheer brutality of it.

Yeah, I think the writers did an amazing job there setting it up. After the whole light-hearted silliness with Linda getting "trained" to use the light gloves and then fake-killing The Flash, the last thing people expected was for Zoom to come in and beat him bloody, and then drag his crippled body across town and rub it in everyone's face.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Looks like everyone sold Jay short since he had managed to fight Zoom off on his own before.

I'd like to see him and Wally get powers while Barry recovers. But just bring in Wally already!

Huh? Jay didn't fight Zoom off. He outright lost the fight and got his speed stolen, but got sucked into the wormhole before Zoom could finish him off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd be shocked if some version of Thawne doesn't come back to haunt Barry eventually.

Anyways, remember this?

In that shot Barry's suit is smoother and a more vibrant red. I came across this. I know it's fan made but I like it.

And I'm really hopeful that the suit continues to evolve. And that future evil speedsters don't have to settle for palate swapped copies of Barry's suit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Huh? Jay didn't fight Zoom off. He outright lost the fight and got his speed stolen, but got sucked into the wormhole before Zoom could finish him off.

Jay has implied they have had previous battles to that one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but really only when Johns wrote them. Waid hated the Rogues and even killed them just to get rid of them. Hell he's still angry that he bowed to editorial pressure ad brought them back to life.

Can you blame him, when the Rogues were just taking screen time from Waid original villains like Replicant, Cobalt Blue and - my personal favorite - Razer?

Seriously, Waid's run holds a very special place in my heart but I will always recommend Johns' run over it since it was just so much more consistent.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

quote:

My only issue with the main plot is that it has been extremely predictable so far.

l if they decide to move away from cliches like "the hero gets cocky and takes on an enemy far stronger, gets his rear end whooped, then gets stronger and beats the villain on round 2".

I mean, what else is there? There's hero takes on weaker villains, hero takes on equal strength villain, then what?

It makes perfect sense for an out-to-prove-himself Barry to want to face Zoom. Especially if the villains Zoom's sent are his ex-girlfriend, a guy who wrecked Flash Day, or a Dust man who kidnapped his current beau. And since he's never really lost, it makes sense he'd ignore everyone's warnings that Zoom is bad news.

Zoom feels like a much better season villain than Damien Darke for that reason. Damien showed up early and is able to be tricked, negotiating with characters, falling for traps. Zoom works through proxies, whupped rear end (nearly killing Earth-2 Flash!) and when he shows up....

He whups rear end. That's what a villain should do. He's not human like Eobard was. He's a force of hubris and destruction.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

And I'm really hopeful that the suit continues to evolve. And that future evil speedsters don't have to settle for palate swapped copies of Barry's suit.

Given all the Coast City/Jordan easter eggs this season I'd like to see an eventual Green Lantern spinoff and one day Nekron or whomever gets all of Barry's palette-swapped nemesis together with power rings. It'd be absolutely buttfucking stupid, but then again so is this show half the time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Jay has implied they have had previous battles to that one.

Yeah, and Wells "clarified" saying they weren't battles, but rather Zoom hunting Jay. Jay himself said several times that Zoom is far stronger than him, and always several steps ahead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Between Wells and Zoom it's really a minor miracle Jay managed to get any respect at all on his Earth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mind the walrus posted:

Given all the Coast City/Jordan easter eggs this season I'd like to see an eventual Green Lantern spinoff and one day Nekron or whomever gets all of Barry's palette-swapped nemesis together with power rings. It'd be absolutely buttfucking stupid, but then again so is this show half the time.

Has there been anything other than a single shot of a jacket?

And I'd think GL stuff would be in Supergirl because of it being more space focused, even if its not in the Arrowverse.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Has there been anything other than a single shot of a jacket?

And I'd think GL stuff would be in Supergirl because of it being more space focused, even if its not in the Arrowverse.

Great, now I want the Sinestro Corps. We've already got Henshaw, we're off to a great start!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Green Lantern will never happen because the SFX budget would be huge and the franchise is still haunted by that Ryan Reynold's movie.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Neo_Crimson posted:

Green Lantern will never happen because the SFX budget would be huge and the franchise is still haunted by that Ryan Reynold's movie.

Reynold's should have been Rayner - Fillion should have been Jordan just as the good lord intended. :colbert:

Fuckin' hollywood, man. :reject:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Outside of comic nerddom and Hollywood circles, I don't think anyone remembers the Reynolds GL movie. If they want to do a TV show, they should do it.

Heck, I saw it and don't remember half of it. Even WB is rebooting it already since GL is supposed to show up for the Justice League movie, right?

Edit: or bring back the GL:TAS show.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 12, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They just need to figure out how to do those effects cheaply. That's the only reason they could do the Flash, right?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, a GL tv show should riff even harder on the original material than The Flash or Arrow has. Do away with the test pilot day job and make him a Coast City cop/PI. And keep the space cop stuff out of the budget until later. Just a guy doing his job with a power ring (at least, at first).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

There was also already a really recent Green Lantern tv show that wasn't successful enough to get more than one season, so it's not like it's just Ryan Reynolds being the albatross on that particular neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

Neon Knight posted:

Haha, whoops I totally missed that. And I even vaguely remember watching the original!

• Locked thread