Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Have they announced all of the DLC yet? I thought there'd be one more month of poo poo.

Yes, I posted a list a few pages ago directly from WB/RS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I'm one of the few people that the game worked fine on my PC when it came out. I played the poo poo out of it, finished the campaign and the new game +, got all the achievements available, then waited for the DLC and the big patch. The patch made it unplayable so I put in for a Steam refund which has already been accepted. 175 hours of playtime and I got all my money back. At least there's that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've heard a few people say the patch made it unplayable. Is it a slideshow, or what?

Probably the one difference for me has been fixing the texture pop in, everything else is about the same.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Yeah, it turned into a slideshow for me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It seemed to run worse than I remember as well. I played it to completion back at release and while it looked like poo poo (and anything higher than low was a slideshow) the framerate was fine. Reinstalling it after the patch it ran like absolute poo poo even with everything on low.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I also was one of the lucky ones for whom the game worked great on first release. I've 200%ed it now, having completed it all on the hardest difficulty. I haven't played any dlc because it sounds like crap and I don't care about cosmetic changes. 80 hours invested, and I've just requested a refund from Green Man Gaming. We'll see if it's approved.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Next wave of DLC is apparently arriving on the 24th of this month and contains all the things planned for November for those that still care. That has both the Robin and Catwoman Arkham Episodes so that might total a whole 30 minutes of new side story stuff this time, maybe! Well at least 20+ minutes possibly.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
i5 / Geforce 970 here and I've played about 3-4 hours into the story without issue. I also have like 16GB of RAM so maybe that doesn't hurt. No frame-hitches, and everything is turned up as far as graphics. Playing at 1080 at 60fps for the most part.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Paused posted:

Next wave of DLC is apparently arriving on the 24th of this month and contains all the things planned for November for those that still care. That has both the Robin and Catwoman Arkham Episodes so that might total a whole 30 minutes of new side story stuff this time, maybe! Well at least 20+ minutes possibly.

That includes the patch for character selection on Predator challenge rooms or is out already?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah that download does include the Predator selection, it is not currently available.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

LLJKSiLk posted:

i5 / Geforce 970 here and I've played about 3-4 hours into the story without issue. I also have like 16GB of RAM so maybe that doesn't hurt. No frame-hitches, and everything is turned up as far as graphics. Playing at 1080 at 60fps for the most part.

I just rebought the game for cheap and yeah, even with the new patch, I have a similar rig (only 8GB of RAM though) and it still runs like warm butter when i turn off the magic fog effects. It's good that i can see the VRAM usage for each option now though because it turns out the smoke alone used 200MB of the stuff and was sending me 250MB over my VRAM limit, so it's no wonder it was what was causing the stuttering on my machine at 2560x1440. When i turn both that and the interactive debris off (with everything else on and at max) my VRAM usage drops just below the 4GB level and i get a solid 60fps on everything.

edit: it does seem odd that the game would require cards with 5GB of VRAM to max out the settings though, especially as it was bundled with the 970. What cards come with 5GB VRAM anyway?

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 14, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kin posted:

edit: it does seem odd that the game would require cards with 5GB of VRAM to max out the settings though, especially as it was bundled with the 970. What cards come with 5GB VRAM anyway?

It's almost like the port isn't very good

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kin posted:

What cards come with 5GB VRAM anyway?
980 Ti and the Titan line, so far.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Andrast posted:

It's almost like the port isn't very good

Well, it's specifically the extra Nvidea poo poo that pushes it beyond the 4GB limit. Without that there'd be no VRAM issues on 4GB cards like the 970 series. Maybe Nvidea expected the other stuff like textures and models to be brought down to a much lower VRAM usage or something. If anything it would be interesting to find out just what exactly is hosed an unoptimised about the game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, double post because i'm a bit confused about a certain plot point on my second playthrough.

So, at the very end it's revealed there was never any joker virus in batman and that it was all the fear gas (plus he cured himself in City anyway). With that being the case, how is Henry able to spot his 'Joker eyes' and why does Robin then insist on Bruce getting locked up even after the Jason Todd hallucination ends.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 17, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kin posted:

Ok, double post because i'm a bit confused about a certain plot point on my second playthrough.

So, at the very end it's revealed there was never any joker virus in batman and that it was all the fear gas (plus he cured himself in City anyway). With that being the case, how is Henry able to spot his 'Joker eyes' and why does Robin then insist on Bruce getting locked up even after the Jason Todd hallucination ends.

I think you are confused. The plot was that the fear gas first made the joker virus manifest worse (Causing the joker hallucination) then somehow cured it. It's still dumb, but there is still teh virus,

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think you are confused. The plot was that the fear gas first made the joker virus manifest worse (Causing the joker hallucination) then somehow cured it. It's still dumb, but there is still teh virus,

Are you sure because that makes no sense. Batman cured himself in City.

I thought the 'twist' at the end of the game was that Batman was never infected. It was all the fear gas just making him think he was infected?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
mabye the Joker was inside us all along

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I thought the 'twist' at the end of the game was that Batman was never infected. It was all the fear gas just making him think he was infected?

Batman cured the Joker Blood Virus he got but the weird infection is a side effect of the cure. Basically he didn't die but since he didn't die he instead got Jokerized.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

It's just bad sub-comic book level writing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Batman cured the Joker Blood Virus he got but the weird infection is a side effect of the cure. Basically he didn't die but since he didn't die he instead got Jokerized.

Except he didn't because he is as symptomatic as the other people who were infected and not cured.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Except he didn't because he is as symptomatic as the other people who were infected and not cured.

I'm pretty sure they were also cured or else they would have died just like Batman almost did.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure they were also cured or else they would have died just like Batman almost did.

The game was very explicit that they were not treated at all until Batman found them, months later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The game was very explicit that they were not treated at all until Batman found them, months later.

If you say so. I can't check since i'm at work, but if so that makes no fuckin' sense at all because the core plot of AC is that the Joker's blood is toxic and he was planning to spread it, so people being infected but not cured, uh, makes no sense. You can't even go 'well, maybe Batman misunderstood the effect" because he had to go track down the Lazarus Pit to not die.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Kin posted:

Batman is exposed to the fear toxin at Ace Chemicals, and his fear of succumbing to the virus manifests. At the end, he does actually succumb, and the Joker's personality takes over. But then Scarecrow injects him with more fear toxin when he starts laughing. At that point, he's dosing the Joker personality with fear toxin. The Joker's greatest fear is being forgotten, he gets suppressed, and Batman's normal personality resurfaces.

It's loving dumb level comic book writing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
l33t's got it right. It also appears that Knight retcons the effect of joker blood to turn all victims into the Joker. The difference between this and what happened to Batman in AC could potentially be handwaved as a difference in dosage, Batman's prior Titan exposure, or that Joker in AC simply didn't know what his blood would do.

It's definitely one of the biggest, weirdest holes in the AK plot, though. The titan/joker blood/etc material has always been a source of particularly weak plot devices, though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

If you say so. I can't check since i'm at work, but if so that makes no fuckin' sense at all because the core plot of AC is that the Joker's blood is toxic and he was planning to spread it, so people being infected but not cured, uh, makes no sense. You can't even go 'well, maybe Batman misunderstood the effect" because he had to go track down the Lazarus Pit to not die.

It'd have to be Batman monologuing Gordon at the movie studio, but Adams, Bell, et al were given Joker blood and the transfusion was never recorded because plot macguffin, and turned into the Joker and we're never subsequently administered the cure.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
It's sad because at the end of Asylum, there's at scene where Scarecrow's hand is hanging on to a Titan container floating in Gotham Bay. Then there's the hidden barge in Arkham City with Titan containers and Scarecrow's research. They set it up from the beginning of the series that Scarecrow actually got his hands on the dangerous chemical that started this all, and so he could do some serious damage. And yet in Arkham Knight, they make no mention of that. I guess it's implied that his new fear toxin could be based off of the Titan, but it's not really spelled out.

Just feels like they dropped the ball on that one, but that's the overall feeling for most plot threads in Arkham Knight.

As to the "cure," I guess it's implied that Batman's cure at the end of City didn't actually work.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

l33t b4c0n posted:

It's sad because at the end of Asylum, there's at scene where Scarecrow's hand is hanging on to a Titan container floating in Gotham Bay. Then there's the hidden barge in Arkham City with Titan containers and Scarecrow's research. They set it up from the beginning of the series that Scarecrow actually got his hands on the dangerous chemical that started this all, and so he could do some serious damage. And yet in Arkham Knight, they make no mention of that. I guess it's implied that his new fear toxin could be based off of the Titan, but it's not really spelled out.

Just feels like they dropped the ball on that one, but that's the overall feeling for most plot threads in Arkham Knight.

As to the "cure," I guess it's implied that Batman's cure at the end of City didn't actually work.

That cutscene can vary and featured Croc, Scarecrow, or Bane clutching the cannister.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

Well it sure kept his rear end from not dying! It also would make no sense because Batman explicitly has guilt over the Joker dying from his own Titan sickness so I guess the cure would have worked on that or...

Man, if that is really true it's seriously just absurdly awful plot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Well it sure kept his rear end from not dying! It also would make no sense because Batman explicitly has guilt over the Joker dying from his own Titan sickness so I guess the cure would have worked on that or...

Man, if that is really true it's seriously just absurdly awful plot.

It's bad comic book writing. I'm not sure how you'd expect anything better after Arkham City.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's bad comic book writing. I'm not sure how you'd expect anything less after Arkham City.

Arkham City made more sense than that. Like that's not bad comic book writing, it's just bad writing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Arkham City made more sense than that. Like that's not bad comic book writing, it's just bad writing.

Arkham City was a geek tragedy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Shoehorning TITAN into every game does the series no favors either. Especially when it just does whatever when it shows up. It's been:

* Venom that doesn't need a canister. (Origins, Asylum, City)
* Some medical treatment formula (Asylum)
* Venom that DOES need a canister. (Asylum)
* Deadly run-off (Asylum)
* Poison Blood Disease (City)
* Deadly Clown Disease (Knight)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

That cutscene can vary and featured Croc, Scarecrow, or Bane clutching the cannister.

That's neat, do you know what controls it? I forget what I got, and not that it really matters as any continuing Arkham games will probably be prequels, but cool nonetheless.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'd like it if they made a sequel to Origins, though with the lukewarm reception it got I doubt it'll happen. Angry Rash Inexperienced Batman was a better and more interesting character than the seasoned one in Arkham Knight. Without the Joker the plot and dialogue of Knight would've been boring as poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It seems the Seasons of Infamy achievements have been leaked

The Demon Lives Again!: Follow the assassin's trail.

Daughter Of The Demon!: Discover the Lazarus pit.

Ashes to Ashes: End the League of Assassins' war.

The Scene of the Crime: Rescue Mad Hatter's first hostage.

Head Games: Rescue Mad Hatter's second hostage.

In Storybook Endings: Lock up Mad Hatter in GCPD.

Cold Case: Interrogate the Militia Lieutenant.
Out in the Cold: Track down the cryopod.

The Resurrection and the Life: Survive the Militia onslaught.

The Beast Beneath: Defeat the prisoners.

Breaking the Skin: Gain access to the high security area.

Evolution: Lockup Killer Croc in GCPD.

Life After Death: Achieve 21 Stars in AR Challenges using the Original Arkham Batmobile.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mr. Freeze is in opposition to the Arkham Knight? I can accept that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I wonder how many of them will involve repeating the exact same task 3-6 times with maybe one different side quest and then a boss fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Terrible Horse posted:

That's neat, do you know what controls it? I forget what I got, and not that it really matters as any continuing Arkham games will probably be prequels, but cool nonetheless.

Just completely randomized as far as we know. When the speedrunners finish their runs they of say to guess to cameo during the credits as it's different everytime, and of course they are doing a fixed route through the game hundreds of times. It's just the three bosses that could have been killed rather than shown to be locked up after their run in with Bats, be it from getting run over, mauled by Croc or falling down a pit, all of which involve the water. Scarecrow is probably the best fit as he's the only one you could possibly expect to be killed from it, no to mention how things go with him in the later games.

• Locked thread