Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Sure, but you'll be wasting oil the entire way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I have a decent work truck that I use to haul things in. When it's not used for hauling, it would just sit at the house. However, I've decided to take it to work at least once a week (once every two at most) to make sure it gets driven. It's 60 miles total and it's mostly highway. However, it's a long distance set up, and it has one of the 30 gallon gas tanks. It takes me a while to burn through a full tank. My question is this, since I don't use it all that often, would it be better to leave the gas low and fill it up when I drive it, or keep it topped off and keep additives in it, to help the gas last longer?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country Minivan with a 3.8l V6 that's experiencing AC issues. A few days ago it started to smell a little like burning plastic, then the next morning it was blowing warm. It still blows fine, the fuse looks fine, the belt is fine and I had the oil changed & they checked the coolant and said it didn't need to be charged. I know very little about cars and I dont know what I should do next. We only have another week or so here before the AC becomes irrelevant due to weather and I don't want to spend a ton of money before Christmas if this isn't something simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have a decent work truck that I use to haul things in. When it's not used for hauling, it would just sit at the house. However, I've decided to take it to work at least once a week (once every two at most) to make sure it gets driven. It's 60 miles total and it's mostly highway. However, it's a long distance set up, and it has one of the 30 gallon gas tanks. It takes me a while to burn through a full tank. My question is this, since I don't use it all that often, would it be better to leave the gas low and fill it up when I drive it, or keep it topped off and keep additives in it, to help the gas last longer?

Assuming you can go through a tank in 6-12 months, Sta-Bil and keeping it relative full is likely the best plan. The more air in the tank the more likely you are to fill it up with water from condensation.

Benny D posted:

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country Minivan with a 3.8l V6 that's experiencing AC issues. A few days ago it started to smell a little like burning plastic, then the next morning it was blowing warm. It still blows fine, the fuse looks fine, the belt is fine and I had the oil changed & they checked the coolant and said it didn't need to be charged. I know very little about cars and I dont know what I should do next. We only have another week or so here before the AC becomes irrelevant due to weather and I don't want to spend a ton of money before Christmas if this isn't something simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

A/C is completely relevant int he winter if you want defrost to work.

Also, A/C is not very DIY friendly. You'll need to start with a manifold gauge set to see what the static and running pressure are. If you don't know much about cars this basically means you should take it to a shop.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
With it getting cooler out my 2010 civic has a strange whining noise in the mornings. The pitch increases with revs, and will continue even while warm. No, it's not the supercharger (there isn't one). Bearing going out on the alternator or the tensioner pulley?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm looking at a Cayman that typically takes 17 or 18" wheels. I'll need a second set for winter tires, and there's a set of 15s that I could pick up cheap. What's the impact of using a wheel size that different? Is it purely aesthetic or is there more to it?

On a related note, are bolt pattern adapters worth it? I've got a set of 5x100 winter wheels for my Audi, but as is they won't fit the 5x130 Cayman. If they're not a bad idea, any particular recommendations would be appreciated.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm looking at a Cayman that typically takes 17 or 18" wheels. I'll need a second set for winter tires, and there's a set of 15s that I could pick up cheap. What's the impact of using a wheel size that different? Is it purely aesthetic or is there more to it?

On a related note, are bolt pattern adapters worth it? I've got a set of 5x100 winter wheels for my Audi, but as is they won't fit the 5x130 Cayman. If they're not a bad idea, any particular recommendations would be appreciated.

You run the risk that your wheels will be too small to fit around your brakes when you start going that small on a car like that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't begin to imagine that a Cayman comes with brakes small enough to fit inside 15s.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It would also look really, really stupid.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Alright, all fair responses.

How about those bolt adapters?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just get some snow tires mounted on your regular wheels, and swap 'em back in the spring. Half-assing it is for cheap cars.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Having a 2nd set of wheels is cool and good because then you can swap winter/summer wheels yourself. I went from a 17 inch to a 15 inch for the winter, saved me money from buying bigger tires and it let me paint them a dumb color.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

With it getting cooler out my 2010 civic has a strange whining noise in the mornings. The pitch increases with revs, and will continue even while warm. No, it's not the supercharger (there isn't one). Bearing going out on the alternator or the tensioner pulley?

You can check this by removing the belt and turning the accessories by hand. Bad bearings tend to make the turning non-smooth and/or allow the pulley to wobble.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alright, all fair responses.

How about those bolt adapters?

From a reasonable brand name they're fine. Very common with trucks/jeeps where some wheels don't come in certain patterns.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Cage posted:

Having a 2nd set of wheels is cool and good because then you can swap winter/summer wheels yourself.

Even if you don't, a lot of tire places will swap wheels for free but charge to change out tires on the same wheels. $33x4 for cheap steelies for my car and $whatever for the initial mount + balance has saved me $mount+balance twice a year taking the studded tires on and off.

If there are no cheap steelies for your lug pattern and size the math may be less favorable, however.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Shopping on tirerack, it looks like I'd be lucky to get just the wheels for much under $1,000. Craigslist has two or three people selling acceptable wheel sets for around $600 that come with tires, though not necessarily winter tires.

How much does it cost to have tires swapped onto your wheels? I'd be doing it twice a year for at least four years. If it's $75 or more to have tires changed, that's $150 a year, and I'd be better off buying a second set of wheels at that point.

This is why I'm interested in the bolt adapter. I have 17 or 18" wheels with good winter tires that will be left over after I sell the Audi. If I could pick up adapters for $200 or even $300 bucks and use those, it would be cheaper and considerably easier than the other two options.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Shopping on tirerack, it looks like I'd be lucky to get just the wheels for much under $1,000. Craigslist has two or three people selling acceptable wheel sets for around $600 that come with tires, though not necessarily winter tires.

How much does it cost to have tires swapped onto your wheels? I'd be doing it twice a year for at least four years. If it's $75 or more to have tires changed, that's $150 a year, and I'd be better off buying a second set of wheels at that point.

This is why I'm interested in the bolt adapter. I have 17 or 18" wheels with good winter tires that will be left over after I sell the Audi. If I could pick up adapters for $200 or even $300 bucks and use those, it would be cheaper and considerably easier than the other two options.

It looks like there are plenty of options available for 5x100 to 5x130 adapters. Keep in mind that the thickness of the adapter changes how far your wheels stick out. There are some spacers/adapters that are like 2" thick, made for people that are looking for a wider stance or more clearance, and that's not what you want at all.
http://raceland.com/volkswagen-5x100-to-porsche-5x130-wheel-adapters.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I'd be shocked if you could find a reputable shop that would do mount and balance on four wheels for much less than $75 out the door, especially for 17"+ wheels.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
If I want to do something like an oil change or fluid flush at home, how are you supposed to dispose of the old fluids?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Depends on where you live. Lots of auto parts stores in the US accept used oil for recycling. Other fluids won't be so easy, such as coolant.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Suicide Watch posted:

If I want to do something like an oil change or fluid flush at home, how are you supposed to dispose of the old fluids?

Most (all?) parts store chains will accept used motor oil but they usually have a volume restriction of 5 or 6 quarts per person per visit. If you have more I've had better luck with oil change shops accepting it.

Alternatively if you can find a garage that heats with a used oil heater they're usually more than happy to take whatever you have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you can find a good adapter that doesn't make them stick really far out (shouldn't be difficult), this is the route I'd take. Keep in mind the further they stick out the more poo poo will be thrown up the side of your car and onto everyone else's windshields and may be a factor in state inspections depending on your location (ie, Utah, Pennsylvania, etc).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Suicide Watch posted:

You can check to see if your town/city does anything too. My city does a hazardous waste disposal day four or five times a year where they'll basically accept as much oil, as many car batteries, etc. as you're willing to haul down to the transfer station. I usually just hold onto old oil until one of those days aligns with my schedule and then bring it all down.

Autozone/Advance Auto should definitely take one oil change worth of oil in a single visit if that's not an option, though.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Suicide Watch posted:

In addition to the above options, most US counties that I know of have hazardous waste disposal site. A quick google search should turn up one in your area.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What's a decent set of wiper blades for a toyota corolla in a Northeastern U.S. winter? I have a commute and there will be snow, sleet and ice.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's a decent set of wiper blades for a toyota corolla in a Northeastern U.S. winter? I have a commute and there will be snow, sleet and ice.

I paid LOTS of money for a set of Trico Onyx blades on my Prius. The left side is a 28" and the right side is a 14" - on a car like this that long rear end wiper has to be strong. They've lasted more than a year so far and still work as good as the day I got them.

The OEM blades on this car were poo poo and they lasted three weeks before I got rid of them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

0toShifty posted:

I paid LOTS of money for a set of Trico Onyx blades on my Prius. The left side is a 28" and the right side is a 14" - on a car like this that long rear end wiper has to be strong. They've lasted more than a year so far and still work as good as the day I got them.

The OEM blades on this car were poo poo and they lasted three weeks before I got rid of them.

Thanks. I always appreciate the prompt and responses in this thread. I couldn't find the Trico onyx for my car on Amazon so I went with Bosch Icons which popped up when I searched for them.

Edit: Oh god, I just asked my girlfriend if she needed new wiper blades and she apparently hasn't changed them since she bought her Jetta.

It's a 2009.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 12, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've had good luck with Icons. Just realize wiper blades are a wear item.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I change mine every 6 months to a year, I just hate the Rain X ones I normally pick up. Anything Rain X seems to leave smears on my windshield that never, ever come off and turn opaque when they get hit by light when it's wet.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The cheapest $5 ones at advance auto work pretty darn well for a summer blade.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Edit: Oh god, I just asked my girlfriend if she needed new wiper blades and she apparently hasn't changed them since she bought her Jetta.

It's a 2009.

I changed the ones on my 07 GTI last year for the first time, though I really should have the year before. I used to go through wiper blades twice a year on my old car.

Obviously, I bought OEM blades as a replacement.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is why mandatory inspections are a good thing. :v:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

SCA Enthusiast posted:

In addition to the above options, most US counties that I know of have hazardous waste disposal site. A quick google search should turn up one in your area.

Especially useful for things like coolant, and they'll typically take old electronics.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Most (all?) parts store chains will accept used motor oil but they usually have a volume restriction of 5 or 6 quarts per person per visit. If you have more I've had better luck with oil change shops accepting it.

Alternatively if you can find a garage that heats with a used oil heater they're usually more than happy to take whatever you have.

FWIW, AutoZone has never said anything about how much I bring in at a time. I have a 15 qt container, so it goes in after all 3 cars at home get a change. Or after I've changed it twice on my car and once on another car.

I just walk in, make eye contact, and ask if the oil container is unlocked. As long as I'm not bringing two biggish containers at a time, I doubt they're going to say anything.

MomJeans420 posted:

Especially useful for things like coolant, and they'll typically take old electronics.

This too. My city will take paint, oil, coolant, etc. You have to schedule a pickup a few weeks in advance, and everything has to be clearly labeled. They also hate milk jugs, and after I changed the DexCool, I understood why. It ate right though the bottom of the milk jug. :stare:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

A friend of mine in Buffalo actually just wrote about this http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-windshield-wipers-for-your-car/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

I just dumped 13 gallons at the Advance near me. They laughed, but didn't give a poo poo. (I should really bring it in more frequently)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Motronic posted:

I just dumped 13 gallons at the Advance near me. They laughed, but didn't give a poo poo. (I should really bring it in more frequently)

Don't they earn money from the used oil? i.e. the recycling company gives them cash for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Motronic posted:

I've never had a store give a poo poo how much I brought unless their tank was almost full.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Aren't they required by law to provide that service so it's not as if they can put up a fight even if they wanted to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think some of them get pissy about how much you bring to avoid shops dumping it on them. At any rate, last time I went I brought in about 6 gallons of oil and didn't even get a second glance. I used one of these and one of these so you don't look quite as much like you're bringing in so much.