Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

So overall is this game recommended?

If you like Fallout 3 or NV its the same thing but better. If you didn't then don't buy this duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well that's just awesome, if you wear a Mining Helmet and activate your pipboy light, it turns on the light on the helmet instead :haw:

Not only is it a nice touch, it's actually a way better flashlight than the pipboy light too.

Also dogmeat found a teddybear somewhere while I was looting Sunshine Tidings Co-op and was playing with it :kimchi:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So it is a known bug that trying to VATS someone in the head with the laser rifle just shoots like 3 feet above their head and never hits, or is my poo poo broke?

Depends. What was your hit chance? You might just be getting unlucky.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you like Fallout 3 or NV its the same thing but better. If you didn't then don't buy this duh.

Ehh, I'd say it's the same as Fallout 3 but probably not New Vegas, depending on what you did or didn't like about New Vegas. If what you liked from New Vegas was the dialog and quests, this is very much not the same thing but better. If what you liked was shooting and exploring the wasteland, then sure.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Palpek posted:

Witcher 3 is out, you know.

Please tell us about this game, "Witcher 3". The world needs to know.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Found an unmarked location with a deathclaw and supermutant behemoth wandering around. And I was like level 8 or 9. I think this is the game's way of telling me I'm too far from home. :ohdear:

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
So far been loving a lot of the skeleton gags.

Found this one just outside the USS Constitution

He has a machete and had a blue bandana before I took it

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kaddion posted:

So far been loving a lot of the skeleton gags.

Found this one just outside the USS Constitution

He has a machete and had a blue bandana before I took it

On that note, please tell me there is an explanation for the mannequins. I've seen them loving everywhere, and someone is having a bit too much fun with them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh so it's actually running with the GTX 460. As expected everything is on low or medium and I turned the resolution down to 720p, but it's running fine speed wise which makes me think I can turn a few things up. Also once Bethesda's unpaid optimization team starts work I should be able to get a lot more options turned on.

Quick question how do you break an item down? I'm only at the Red Rocket Gas Station having just started.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Rookersh posted:

I mean you basically can?

I mean I understand all that, once you unlock the small settlements with 2 people you can basically ignore them. Hopefully a mod will come around that lets me send those 2 people from [Settlement I'll never use] to Sanctuary Hills.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You can make your companions equip dog collars, but they don't actually show up on their models :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

You can make your companions equip dog collars, but they don't actually show up on their models :(

Does it show up on Dogmeat? I picked one up but haven't given it to him yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Ehh, I'd say it's the same as Fallout 3 but probably not New Vegas, depending on what you did or didn't like about New Vegas. If what you liked from New Vegas was the dialog and quests, this is very much not the same thing but better. If what you liked was shooting and exploring the wasteland, then sure.

Eh even to enjoy NV you'd have to like some of both. This game does the shooting better and new stuff but does the story a bit worse, in the end its much the same.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Broken Cog posted:

Don't go activating random air siren towers guys, or this fellow might show up.

:rip: in piss: You.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I gather A LOT of junk and I have the scrapper perk, but doing all those settlements, I just said gently caress it and consoled in oil and screws.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Fargle posted:

So how exactly do the supply lines work? I sent one of my Settlers in Sanctuary as a Provisioner to Abernathy Farms and I notice he still counts as part of Sanctuary's population. Does he just walk back and forth between Sanctuary and Abernathy forever? What if I want to extend that supply line further on to Sunshine Tidings? Do I have to wait for another Settler to turn up and assign that to them or can one person handle multiple routes? Do I send the next one from Abernathy to Sunshine or from Sanctuary to Sunshine?

Really could have used some drat tutorials on this stuff Bethesda.

A single guy can maintain a single route between two outposts, which works in both directions. You can chain several routes together in a line or circle, and each settlement that's part of it will count as connect to all others in the network. So if you tell one dude in Sanctuary to maintain a route to Abernathy, and another in Castle to also make a route to Abernathy, all three settlements will be linked together.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

coyo7e posted:

There's a full suit of power armor (minus one leg) in excellent condition just to the NW of that ASAF radar station the folks at the farm near cambridge want you to retrieve a locket from (it's in a toolbox near a door, by the minigun raider with the unique name). It's in way nicer shape than the stuff from the Museum of Freedom's roof, and you can find it before you reach Cambridge.

That's.. really surprising to hear. Are the suits in the world randomized? I found that set a really long time ago, and it only had 2 intact pieces, an arm and a leg. I took them a while back, then came back for the naked frame recently. It's standing guard on the roof of the Red Rocket.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh even to enjoy NV you'd have to like some of both. This game does the shooting better and new stuff but does the story a bit worse, in the end its much the same.

It does the quest design a whole lot worse, not just a bit worse. One example from New Vegas I posted about earlier:

Harrow posted:

For a "recent" example, Caesar's brain tumor quest in New Vegas is awesome. There are lots of ways that can go based on your character's skills and stats and some of them are hilarious. You can repair the auto-doc, so you're never totally unable to complete it without having the right stats. You can do his surgery yourself if you have high Speech (to convince them to let you) or even higher Medicine (to show that you have the skills). You can sabotage it and talk your way out of it, or sabotage it and get in trouble. You can blunder through it with 9 Luck and when asked how you did it, say "I have no loving idea." I can't shake the feeling that if that quest had been in Fallout 4, the only option would be to repair the auto-doc.

I even left out the option to sell Arcade into slavery to finish that quest, too.

Granted, I haven't finished Fallout 4 yet, but I haven't run into any single quest, side-quest or main story, with anywhere near that amount of intricacy, and that's just one of many quests from New Vegas that give you that many options.

Fallout 4's shooting is leaps and bounds better, though, no argument there. And the expanded gun crafting does add a lot to the experience for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

"a bit worse"

Understatement of the century.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is there a hardcore mode mod out yet that gives water and food a purpose

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

If you don't rename the minigun to this, you're doing it wrong.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In hindsight, it's rather obvious what New Vegas was: Bethesda had just revived/reestablished-as-viable/redefined-for-todays-audience'd a moribund property. They were working on other games themselves, but wanted to keep Fallout in the minds of people who play games for a few years, to avoid any backslide. So they hired Obsidian to basically pass the time in Fallout so that Bethesda could work on non-Fallout games and get a proper sequel to Fallout 4 in motion.

Bethesda wasn't upset by New Vegas or anything; the game wasn't developed for Obsidian or its members to try and make a hugely popular sequel like 3. They were just there to keep the series in the minds of people, they succeeded, just in time for the owners to put out a proper sequel.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The writing is worlds better than Fallout 3 so I can forgive it for not being on the level of New Vegas. I mean, being better than Fallout 3 is not really a great accomplishment but it's certainly an improvement.

I like the random dialogue and the details, like when I was crouching in the schoolhouse in Diamond City to get a better look at the cat (the only healthy cat I've ever seen in a Fallout game) the guard noticed me and said something like "Geez, if you're gonna squat do it someplace private, this isn't a public bathroom!".

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Broken Cog posted:

It's kind of a meme among a lot of people that "Man, Bethesda is so mad that Obsidian made a good game" or something. It's not the first time I've heard it, but I haven't really seen anything to verify it.

It's mainly come from people defending noble Obsidian's honor from the big meanies at Bethesda, even though Obsidian have said time and time again they'd be delighted to do another Fallout game, so there's still hope for New Vegas 2, I guess.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

Does it show up on Dogmeat? I picked one up but haven't given it to him yet.

I don't really use Dogmeat, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

That's.. really surprising to hear. Are the suits in the world randomized? I found that set a really long time ago, and it only had 2 intact pieces, an arm and a leg. I took them a while back, then came back for the naked frame recently. It's standing guard on the roof of the Red Rocket.

How do you get in / carry naked frames?

I asked before but go no answer: Is there no way to take a frame somebody was wearing? Can you not remove the corpse or something?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The writing is worlds better than Fallout 3 so I can forgive it for not being on the level of New Vegas. I mean, being better than Fallout 3 is not really a great accomplishment but it's certainly an improvement.

I like the random dialogue and the details, like when I was crouching in the schoolhouse in Diamond City to get a better look at the cat (the only healthy cat I've ever seen in a Fallout game) the guard noticed me and said something like "Geez, if you're gonna squat do it someplace private, this isn't a public bathroom!".

Yeah the quest writing is pretty hit or miss but the little incidental dialogue is much better than it was in 3 and NV. Companions will comment on a lot of situations, for instance. Goes a long way towards making them feel like meaningful partners instead of just meatbags.

Although it is weird that Piper calls me "Blue" even though she's literally never seen me in a vault jumpsuit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

It does the quest design a whole lot worse, not just a bit worse. One example from New Vegas I posted about earlier:

I even left out the option to sell Arcade into slavery to finish that quest, too.

Granted, I haven't finished Fallout 4 yet, but I haven't run into any single quest, side-quest or main story, with anywhere near that amount of intricacy, and that's just one of many quests from New Vegas that give you that many options.

Fallout 4's shooting is leaps and bounds better, though, no argument there. And the expanded gun crafting does add a lot to the experience for me.

Yeah that's true. NV had a lot of that alternate ways to do stuff and that's really satisfying from a roleplaying game perspective. The only other game I know that does it to that extent is Vampire: TM Bloodlines.

Man I wish we could get a Bloodlines 2 so bad.

Isosceles Waffle
Jul 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

My girlfriend is from Boston and has been watching me play. She's been pretty impressed with how well Bethesda translated what Boston's actually laid out and looks like to the game. Obviously it's both alt-history and post-apocalyptic and compressed to fit in a video game, but I'll take her word for it that they did a good job making it actually feel like (totally ruined) Boston.

Being originally from Massachusetts, I'd have to agree it's a fairly well-done take on Boston and northeastern part of the state. The old landmarks are there and pretty accurate despite being compressed into a smaller space (save Boston Common -- it's so tiny in-game that I had to laugh when I finally realized where I was), the building styles and layouts are eerily accurate, and the alt-history stuff in place of real locales are often neat twists on their real-life counterparts. For the latter, the area where the New England Aquarium would be on Atlantic Ave. (the area behind the Harbormaster Hotel, on one of the wharves) is devoid of the aquarium building itself, but there's a neat art-deco take on the other building that would be in front of it on the wharf. I still have yet to figure out what's in place of the old John Hancock building, however.

Isosceles Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 12, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Cog posted:

Oh hey that's that tower by the insane asylum isn't it? I think I did that same thing. There's a quest right near there involving some even scarier, bigger ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the difference between hard and very hard?

Also for PC dudes, should I use KB+M or my 350 controller?

Controller for sure. Especially for workshop mode, holy cow.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

no you idiots there are no mods that are any good because the geck/creation kit isn't out yet.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sylink posted:

no you idiots there are no mods that are any good because the geck/creation kit isn't out yet.

ok will check again 2morrow

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

I am a terrible gamer who brings shame to us all because I have never played a Fallout game before.
I like games where you can dick around and I like the setting here, but I am not influenced by other games in the series.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
you know, I think I figured out what my big problem with this game is, it's the AI

like, don't get me wrong, I know how incredibly hard video game AI is. it's the hardest thing in the world.

but the old Gamebryo/CE AI just doesn't cut it in TYOOL 2015 anymore, i think. the old "rush the player in a straight line, clipping out on any obstacle in your way" AI. the kind of AI where the best strategy in "dungeons" is to kill the first guy, then wait for everyone else in the entire building to run straight into your gunfire. that poo poo is kinda making this game tedious as hell, and I think in my mind when I've been waiting for and hoping for and dreaming of a new modern Fallout game for the last 5 years, I've just secretly been hoping they modernize the AI somehow. but nope, it's the same old stuff, and it makes a lot of the really neat gameplay elements of the entire Fallout framework just kinda tedious, and it makes the game feel dated.

it's a bummer. i'm not even mad at the game, i'm just kind of sad at it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah that screenshot straight-up looks like Skyrim, that broadsword isn't helping.

Judge Tesla posted:

It's mainly come from people defending noble Obsidian's honor from the big meanies at Bethesda, even though Obsidian have said time and time again they'd be delighted to do another Fallout game, so there's still hope for New Vegas 2, I guess.

People get really weird about Obsidian. I absolutely loved New Vegas, it's one of my favorite games, but I never particularly liked Alpha Protocol when I tried it. They just seem pretty hit-or-miss and yet everybody claims they're like Gods of Game Design when I don't really see that. There were even people who said they absolutely loathed South Park but were going to buy Stick of Truth just because Obsidian were developing it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

I can't wait for pose mods so I can take cooler screencaps. Anyway this is generally how my character and co. turned out. I bring along someone who can tank hits and pump out lead in a suit of power armour, while I wear lighter energy/rad-resistant stuff and generally make myself look as commanderly as possible while I pick stuff off from the back row with high damage semiauto or bolt-action weapons.

My last run of Fo3 in 2013 also had me doing something similar, since when I found an enclave officer uniform I never took it off. The cool-looking light stuff in this game actually protects you, though!

One of the first mods I want is actually a mod for darker nights, because night firefights should look really cool.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I am a terrible gamer who brings shame to us all because I have never played a Fallout game before.
I like games where you can dick around and I like the setting here, but I am not influenced by other games in the series.

they're all terrific, NV being ultra terrific. it takes getting used to, but seriously it's worth it

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

I will second this, usually I'm not a controller guy for first person games but this game plays really well with a controller.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Khanstant posted:

workshop mode is more tolerable once you figure out that shift+wasd can be used to go through menus.

it's still clunky, but it's clunky in a way that's the same with the controller.

i've gotten used to the KB+M. i have a bug with this game and my controller where the cursor skips every other line in menus/pip-boy, so it's 100% kb+m for me. and yeah, I think I've used VATS for combat like twice so far, because getting accurate headshots is of course much easier.

eta: the biggest problem with KB+M is a couple of commands can't be rebound, namely "hold breath" on l.alt (what the fuuuuuuck) and enter in general to confirm, although my mouse is pretty close to my keyboard and I've gotten used to just hitting numpad enter with my right thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone know if there's a newsstand in Sanctuary somewhere? Can't find it as a constructable. Wanna stor my stupid magazines somewhere.

• Locked thread