Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alligator Horse posted:

An attempt to un-poo poo this thread a bit: Recent veterans are probably voting more Republican than veterans have historically. I'll excerpt the good stuff for y'all:

Speculation as to why and warnings about taking their research as definitive in the article, as well as some examples and graphics I cut. Would be interesting to see the data after the 2016 elections; if their conclusions are further borne out there is a lot of room for sociological study of veterans' orgs' and current-service institutions' political affiliation and proselytizing.

What makes this especially galling is that I tried to watch HBO's Alive Day Memories: Home From Iraq over Memorial Day. Rightabouts the umpteenth time you had someone amazing and destroyed by the Iraq War, I had to bail out to just preserve myself. And people want to have these same yokels in charge of the wheel again?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Just wait til we get a Republican president again to pass this thing (or maybe just maybe the Bern???), then suppressors get recognized as being in common use, then the courts make California and all the other deep blue states allow them again pursuant to Heller. :mrgw:

Suppressors do not bring noise levels to or below a safe hearing level. Lowest rifle noise level reduction I've seen is to ~119Db for 300blk, a round specifically designed for use with suppressors (in part). Next lowest is .22lr which is still too loud for unprotected hearing at ~112.

Only exception I could find was that new Jesse James suppressor that's supposed to take .300blk down to 78 Db but that's being disputed.

You still need personal hearing protection when using a suppressor. Their main function isn't to protect the users hearing but to mask the guns report to others in the area of use.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crain posted:

Suppressors do not bring noise levels to or below a safe hearing level. Lowest rifle noise level reduction I've seen is ~119Db for 300blk, a round specifically designed for use with suppressors (in part). Next lowest is .22lr which is still too loud for unprotected hearing at ~112.

Only exception I could find was that new Jesse James suppressor that supposed to take .300blk down to 78 Db but that's being disputed.

You still need personal hearing protection when using a suppressor. Their main function isn't to protect the users hearing but to mask the guns report to others in the area of use.

Oh man, you missed the previous gun thread.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In the 1990s military operations had mostly bipartisan support and were fairly uncontroversial at the time.

In the 2000s they rapidly became a super-politicized shitshow popular only with the far right.

Like, if you enlisted in 1995 and got sent overseas, you were probably going to Bosnia, where the super simplified headline was "peacekeepers keeping European Christians from genociding Muslims." It was started by a Republican and continued by a Democrat. It wasn't especially partisan. By 2005 the context for volunteering is very different.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sorry, I stand corrected. Non-hispanic whites are slightly underrepresented, although that doesn't change the demographics of the whites that are joining. I wonder if the racial disparity in service is due to white liberals not joining?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so how does the military deal with hearing protection? i'm assuming all soldiers are just basically deaf? do they tell you you're going to lose your hearing when you sign up? (ahahahaha of course they don't)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

so how does the military deal with hearing protection? i'm assuming all soldiers are just basically deaf? do they tell you you're going to lose your hearing when you sign up (ahahahaha of course they don't)

Ear Plugs mostly, though a lot of em probably don't use them.

Hearing loss/hearing damage is a common VA benefits claim, along with back injuries and knee injuries. The hilarious part is how much they emphasize in the service documenting EVERYTHING as a possible disabilities claim for when you get out, almost going so far as to suggest you document mystery ailments as deployment related for benefits.

And yet the military has a ton of guys who rant and rave about welfare.

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

Whites are over represented in the officer ranks not elsewhere. Enlisted pretty much mirror the US population except for women who make up like 1/5 of the Air Force and a smaller portion of the other services.
Also everyone in the military is from Texas, California or New York. No idea where this south east and Midwest business comes.
I'd say in 2008 half my ship was celebrating when POTUS was elected and the other half was meh about it.
Currently work in DC and it's the same. So wherever this idea that military members are a bunch of white Guys in it to go kill oppressed people thing is strange.
I don't know anyone in who isn't in it for the career prospects or to earn a GI Bill.

Yes I'm sure racists exist in the service but it's kind of hard to be a bigot and maintain it in the military when you are literally work side by side and sleep near all walks of humans on any given day.

But maybe the idea is that voting republican makes you evil?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gecnan posted:

Yes I'm sure racists exist in the service but it's kind of hard to be a bigot and maintain it in the military when you are literally work side by side and sleep near all walks of humans on any given day.

We have such sights to show you.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Mizzou is going to announce their new Interim President today. They are tagging Mike Middleton, who sounds like a slam dunk. I am cautious however. Someone from the Title IX office was expressing extreme concern over this saying that while they were there Middleton sided with the Administration in every Title XIII suit they worked on. Also Middleton rewrote the rules for faculty grievances and since those rules no faculty member has won their grievance against the university. Supposedly they don't even try anymore and just jump straight to suing now since they know working within the university is pointless.

So who knows how this will go.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gecnan posted:

Also everyone in the military is from Texas, California or New York. No idea where this south east and Midwest business comes.

Oh word? There's a lot of people from 3 of the 4 biggest population states (Florida's the other one)? 3 states that add up to over 1/4 of the US population on their own?

There's more people who live in those 3 states than live in the entire Midwest, and about the same population live in those 3 states as the South minus Texas.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Gecnan posted:

Whites are over represented in the officer ranks not elsewhere. Enlisted pretty much mirror the US population except for women who make up like 1/5 of the Air Force and a smaller portion of the other services.
I'd say in 2008 half my ship was celebrating when POTUS was elected and the other half was meh about it.
Currently work in DC and it's the same. So wherever this idea that military members are a bunch of white Guys in it to go kill oppressed people thing is strange.
I don't know anyone in who isn't in it for the career prospects or to earn a GI Bill.

The Navy is the most liberal of the armed services. When I was in the Air Force it seemed like every other maintainer and aircrew member was from some hole in Nebraska or Ohio. Of course a lot of people are going to be from California and Texas.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Ear Plugs mostly, though a lot of em probably don't use them.

Hearing loss/hearing damage is a common VA benefits claim, along with back injuries and knee injuries. The hilarious part is how much they emphasize in the service documenting EVERYTHING as a possible disabilities claim for when you get out, almost going so far as to suggest you document mystery ailments as deployment related for benefits.

And yet the military has a ton of guys who rant and rave about welfare.

I always wondered about this. I mean obviously hearing protection is a no brainer when you're training and what not, but how does it work in an active combat situation? It seems like wearing sufficiently effective hearing protection could cause you to miss stuff you actually need to hear, like someone giving orders.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hulk Krogan posted:

I always wondered about this. I mean obviously hearing protection is a no brainer when you're training and what not, but how does it work in an active combat situation? It seems like wearing sufficiently effective hearing protection could cause you to miss stuff you actually need to hear, like someone giving orders.

Pretty much. They are issued, but using them is entirely up to you.

We have to wear double hearing protection in the Air Force on the flightline, but most of us only wear single.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Gecnan posted:

I'm from rural MD. I remember the rush to enlist among my neighbors and aquaintences after 9/11. A whole lot of angry good ol' boys who wanted to shoot muslims. Most tried for the marines, some for the army.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was never deployed, but my hearing is still hosed up anyway. Rural Texas enlistee for forum demographic purposes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

Well according to the documentary tv series Archer tinnitus seems like an impediment to hearing orders.

(That kind of hearing damage is 100% a real thing)

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

http://download.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2013-Demographics-Report.pdf

Latinos are combined into the 69 % white active duty stat.

I'm 10 years Navy and never once heard anyone ask to go shoot Muslims. I've heard lots of talk justifying profiling but no crusaders exist as far as I've witnessed.

But hey generalize the military.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

hobbesmaster posted:

Well according to the documentary tv series Archer tinnitus seems like an impediment to hearing orders.

(That kind of hearing damage is 100% a real thing)

Eventually rifles in closed spaces start to sound like bubble wrap.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Talmonis posted:

I'm from rural MD. I remember the rush to enlist among my neighbors and aquaintences after 9/11. A whole lot of angry good ol' boys who wanted to shoot muslims. Most tried for the marines, some for the army.

loving Garret County.

I laughed really hard when O'Malley reminded Bernie that western Maryland makes vermont look posh

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gecnan posted:

http://download.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2013-Demographics-Report.pdf

I'm 10 years Navy and never once heard anyone ask to go shoot Muslims. I've heard lots of talk justifying profiling but no crusaders exist as far as I've witnessed.

Well, if someone actually did sign up to shoot Muslims, they're not going to do it sitting in a tin can floating off the coast. You've got to be Army or Marines if you want to look the enemy of America and Christ in the eye when you blow their loving brains out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gecnan posted:

Keeping those decks clean of seagull poo poo? Keep up the good work! :patriot:

:laffo:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gecnan posted:

ahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahaaha get hosed

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

And the Air Force is basically a wing of a fundamentalist Christian church, too.

This is the cause of a lot of it in the Air Force, the fundamentalist churches in Colorado Springs have for all intents and purposes taken over the Academy.

EDIT: Not that the civilian leadership isn't also part of the problem.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gecnan posted:

Wow, I'm so sorry that the actions of more than 2/3 of the military got generalized into the whole thing. :rolleyes:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gecnan posted:

Do you know how many times I've heard military people bitch about those "lazy niggers" they work with?

I work with a bunch of former military folks now, and I know that most of them are super right wing and I'd be willing to bet that most of them are racist. They just can't be really overt about it without getting into trouble.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

loving Garret County.

I laughed really hard when O'Malley reminded Bernie that western Maryland makes vermont look posh

I'm dreading the meeting between my wife and the family in St Mary's who mostly think China (as a whole, I guess) is trying to take us over, kill Jesus and replace him with Mao.

Seriously, southern MD was always more openly racist/ignorant than folks in SC unless you went really into the backwoods, in my experience.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gecnan posted:

Air Force here. Trust me, you don't know what you are talking about ;)

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

Do you know how many times I've heard military people bitch about those "lazy niggers" they work with?

I work with a bunch of former military folks now, and I know that most of them are super right wing and I'd be willing to bet that most of them are racist. They just can't be really overt about it without getting into trouble.

Maybe after they get out but being racist active duty is a quick way to not be active duty anymore. You have to depend on everyone and shorting somewhere what their due positive or negative gets noticed quick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It feels like of all the places for the 'I can't wait to kill me some sand people' types to go the navy is probably bottom rung (joke about that being the case for anyone joining goes here), so yea I don't find it hard to believe hanging around in that circle has probably a fairly small amount of bullshit.

That doesn't mean it isn't a problem for the armed forces as a whole, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gecnan posted:

Maybe after they get out but being racist active duty is a quick way to not be active duty anymore.

Maybe in the Navy. Having been on multiple deployments with Army and Air Force, there is a lot of Right Wing inspired Racism in those arms of the DoD.

Navy is kinda isolated from the rest of us, so I can see why you'd think this, but what they are saying is true.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Gecnan posted:

I know you aren't replying to me but just to make clear, I posted the original article not to say 'lol Republican warmongers' but out of genuine wonder as to what factors--besides the obvious--color the politics of current and former members of the military.

I wonder how hard it is for researchers to check on individuals' political affiliation (via voter registration). I feel like they could just check to see whether a statistically significant number of persons go from D reg. pre-enlistment to R reg. post-service to determine whether or not the actual institution affects change in political consciousness.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gecnan posted:

Maybe after they get out but being racist active duty is a quick way to not be active duty anymore. You have to depend on everyone and shorting somewhere what their due positive or negative gets noticed quick.

Uh, lol. I know plenty of dudes through my family friend who served in Iraq until the withdrawal, who were racist as gently caress while active duty.

The sailors are generally much nicer dudes, but there's a lot more army and air force and marine douches.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It feels like of all the places for the 'I can't wait to kill me some sand people' types to go the navy is probably bottom rung (joke about that being the case for anyone joining goes here), so yea I don't find it hard to believe hanging around in that circle has probably a fairly small amount of bullshit.

That doesn't mean it isn't a problem for the armed forces as a whole, though.

I have a Jewish friend from high school who's rabidly Islamophobic and he moved to Israel when he turned 18 so he could join the IDF and kill him some sand people. He brags about it on Facebook.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I got a couple buddies who did that move too. Not full on 'ha ha I am going to murder some muslims now' overt poo poo but like 'yea man I just thought I had to preserve our heritage and culture in these troubled times. Also hey have you read this article saying Palestinians are basically wild animals and Palestine never actually existed so if you think about it isn't this just Israel anyway, interesting read imo'.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gecnan posted:

You are a real boy scout. I respect that.

I mean, you're naive and I look down upon and laugh at you, but I respect you.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Crain posted:

Suppressors do not bring noise levels to or below a safe hearing level. Lowest rifle noise level reduction I've seen is to ~119Db for 300blk, a round specifically designed for use with suppressors (in part). Next lowest is .22lr which is still too loud for unprotected hearing at ~112.

Only exception I could find was that new Jesse James suppressor that's supposed to take .300blk down to 78 Db but that's being disputed.

Laying aside the overarching fact that it's a victimless possession crime...

Wearing ear plugs + a suppressor does more good than wearing ear plugs without a suppressor. 135db hearing damage while hunting is also less hurtful than 140+ damage. Not all ear injury is the same, so stop acting like there's no point in trying.

Hulk Krogan posted:

According to some of my father's friends who served back in the 60's, they did marksmanship qual without hearing protection to say nothing of in the field. :stonk: Are you really surprised to learn the military views soldiers as (somewhat) expendable?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

We bought ear protection with a little hole and stopper. If you remove the stopper, the tiny hole opens and you're able to hear some more treble, or, human voice, without losing a ton of the concussive or bass protection.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, lol. I know plenty of dudes through my family friend who served in Iraq until the withdrawal, who were racist as gently caress while active duty.

The sailors are generally much nicer dudes, but there's a lot more army and air force and marine douches.

I met a marine at a local bar, through an army reserve friend of mine, that openly boasted he killed at least one kid, and 3 other "durkadurkas". There's no way that all soldiers are like that, but I guess it was why my friend had to preface before meeting him "that the guy crazy hated the people over there, and might have killed a baby". I didn't believe him and this was about 2006. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Standards for recruiting got way more lax once the Iraq war became unpopular so the proportion of ignorant poo poo bags in the army probably went way up from that too. And it wasn't exactly a utopia to start with.

• Locked thread