Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Ahh, the Games Workshop approach.

Ctrl+R "vampire" to "blooddrainer", done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Here's my own rewrite. I don't know if mine's the one that was looked for, but I did put it up on pastebin.

I've been pondering writing up a section on oubilette adventures; journeys to ancient cities full of strange cthonian figures and non-euclidian geometry that drive mortals mad, perhaps with one of the Oldest asleep or dead (as if there's a difference) at their heart.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yeah, that is the one I was thinking about. Ther was a lot of general spitballing on how to fix it; I think that, if the game managed to admit that the Beasts are horrible creatures and addressed them as such, the way Vampire does, I would not have nearly as many problems with it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah, that is the one I was thinking about. Ther was a lot of general spitballing on how to fix it; I think that, if the game managed to admit that the Beasts are horrible creatures and addressed them as such, the way Vampire does, I would not have nearly as many problems with it.

That, or made it clear (and supported by mechanics) that Beasts are just weird people with a human's range of ethics and that the Heroes really are unjustly pursuing them, that might have been OK too. You might even have some of that moral ambiguity the game so desperately wants to have.

Give Beasts mechanical incentives to do terrible things, but don't make it mandatory. Doing horrible things makes Heroes. Heroes are driven to hunt Beasts, but don't have a clear idea about which Beast is which and may focus in on the wrong guy. Now you have conflict, temptation, and a spectrum of morality for all characters involved.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 11, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gilok posted:

Now you have conflict, temptation, and a spectrum of morality for all characters involved.

A dark irony, indeed...

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gilok posted:

That, or made it clear (and supported by mechanics) that Beasts are just weird people with a human's range of ethics and that the Heroes really are unjustly pursuing them, that might have been OK too. You might even have some of that moral ambiguity the game so desperately wants to have.

Give Beasts mechanical incentives to do terrible things, but don't make it mandatory. Doing horrible things makes Heroes. Heroes are driven to hunt Beasts, but don't have a clear idea about which Beast is which and may focus in on the wrong guy. Now you have conflict, temptation, and a spectrum of morality for all characters involved.

I think the disconnect arises because Beasts (seem to) justify themselves as being staightforward in-the-right. Vampire ethics are transparent. There are all different kinds of vampires from guys and gals who try to be normal and get really depressed when they hurt people all the way to Belial's Brood who embrace sociopathy as the road to mental health. I think vampires skew 'evil' as a result (they hurt people to survive) but the game continually acknowledges that you don't get to claim moral immunity just because you're forced to be abusive to the kine. You see the diversity right there in the sample characters, the covenants, and even scrawled into the Humanity rules.

Beasts are also abusers but it's weird because they seem to justify it by targeting people who 'deserve' it. See, even when vampires skew evil they typically see themselves as apex predators; detached predators. Oh I'm sure I can find an example of a vampire vigilante somewhere but if you look at the Invictus or the Sanctum they have opinions about human masses and not individual people. We still can acknowledge that as an evil perspective but it's sensible. I think it's the fact that Beasts tend to judge their prey on a very personal, often petty scale that would make even a vampire raise an eyebrow.

You can decide for yourself whether that's good or bad for the line but I think that's what makes it feel weird.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Mendrian posted:

Beasts are also abusers but it's weird because they seem to justify it by targeting people who 'deserve' it. See, even when vampires skew evil they typically see themselves as apex predators; detached predators. Oh I'm sure I can find an example of a vampire vigilante somewhere but if you look at the Invictus or the Sanctum they have opinions about human masses and not individual people. We still can acknowledge that as an evil perspective but it's sensible. I think it's the fact that Beasts tend to judge their prey on a very personal, often petty scale that would make even a vampire raise an eyebrow.

You can decide for yourself whether that's good or bad for the line but I think that's what makes it feel weird.

Here are excerpts from a game run by the head writer of Beast, written by the head writer of Beast.

quote:

[Player's] character is Maia Wallis (Makara Ravager). Maia prefers to feed by getting into relationships with men and then slowing wrecking their lives. They're free to walk at any point, of course (she doesn't stalk them if they break up with her). She teaches the lesson that some relationships are toxic and it's better to end them.
[Player] character is Tyler Townsend (Eshmaki Nemesis). Tyler bought a house in Parma, near John's - a big ostentatious Tudor. He relocated from Chicago in 2003 following some Hero problems. He was Devoured in 2001; a Namtaru was trying to feed on him, but wound up awakening the Beast, as it were. As a Nemesis, he tries to teach thieves that their lives aren't worth whatever they're trying to steal (he runs an antique shop). He once contribute Dragonfire to an Obrimos mage who needed it for an enchanted item he was making. Lair: Brightly Lit, Sealed Exits.
[Player] plays Miriana Kyle (Eshmaki Predator). Mirana lives in a simple ranch house, also same neighborhood, with access to the woods. It also has a walk-in freezer complete with meathooks. Miriana is a native Clevelander, and experienced the Devouring recently, just after her mother passed. As a Predator, she seeks to remind people that their status on the food chain isn't a given - even people can be prey.
[Player] plays John Dawson (Ugallu (Predator). He owns a house in the neighborhood, where he takes people (children, often), whose families are lying to one another and otherwise toxic. He lets them freak out, then returns the kid a few days later, unharmed.

[...]

Anyway! Our story begins on May 22, 2009. It's Friday of Memorial Day weekend, and folks are gearing up for a little break. Miriana Kyle is packing up her car to go camping. John Dawson is coaching his Little League team. Tyler Townsend is closing up his curios shop for the weekend. Maia Wallis is getting ready to go out.

All of them are doing normal things. All of them have monsters in their souls. For the moment, all of their Horrors are Sated.

Tyler leaves the light in the display case on as bait, and goes to the hookah bar across the street. He waits for a while, and sees a slim figure in a hoodie walk by his shop, stop, walk up to the door, try it, take a picture with a cell phone, and then walk away. Tyler tails the individual to an apartment a few blocks away, and notes the number. Maybe this person is just interested in buying something. Maybe Tyler will have to punish a thief.

Dawson finishes up the practice, noting which parents are there cheering for their kids and which ones stay on their cell phones the whole time, ignoring what's going on. He doesn't need to feed right now, but he notes which of his charges might need to get lost for a few hours at some point, just enough to make their parents take notice.

Maia goes down to 4th Street, where crowds are already drinking and partaking of the hip new restaurants beginning to spring up (this trend continues, by the way; Cleveland has a fun food scene). A young man named Ryan approaches her - suit and jacket, tie tucked into a pocket, obviously a young capitalist type. She flirts and accepts his offers. She doesn't know yet if he's going to be her next boyfriend; it depends on what he needs to learn. They eat and flirt, and then head over to the warehouse district to go clubbing. Maia notices posters on the wall with a picture of a woman in a top hat, and the words "DOCTOR BONES - I CAN HEAL YOU" underneath, along with some tear-offs with a phone number. She grabs one.

[...]

Tyler goes over to John's house and watches the Indians game with him, drinking beer and chatting. They talk about John's Little League team and any Beast-related actions John might be; Tyler points out that the kind of trauma John inflicts doesn't always have the intended effect of bringing families closer. John agrees, but at least it gives them the chance.

Maia and her new beau Ryan are waiting to get into a club, and hear sirens. As they watch, they see a man round the corner on foot, fleeing a squad car. Maia surreptitiously trips the guy, figuring he'll just be arrested, but the cops jump out of the car and immediately taze him, and then whack him with nightsticks a couple of times. Maia, outraged, films it, but the cops don't take much notice; they cuff the guy and toss him in the car. Maia expresses her feelings to Ryan, but he shrugs it off. Probably a drug dealer, he says. So what. Maia realizes this guy might actually be something of a schmuck, and is cheered by that thought. [This one is just funny because it goes from 1) helping the cops to 2) a person who terrorizes people being outraged at police brutality 3) justifying her planned abuse of him because he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat]

That seems kind of suspicious, so Miriana heads back to Parma and drops in on John and Tyler, and tells them about what she saw. Maia rolls in short after and she and Miriana note they both have Bones' number, so they decide to meet her the next day. For now, though, it's late. Tyler swings by his shop on the way home and sees someone has broken in and stolen a brass spyglass in the front display. Perfect.

He visits the presumed thief, and sees her on the phone. He knocks on her door, but she tells him to go sleep it off somewhere else (he doesn't say why he's there), and he decides to wait and hit whoever she fences the object to.

The next day, he waits until she leaves and trails her to a dive bar. He watches her sell the spyglass to a man, and then Tyler waits and tails him. This guy notices him, though, and leads him into an alley to warn him off. Tyler tells him to give back what he took, the man says he bought it and refuses to give it back. He pulls out a sap.

Tyler, in no mood to gently caress around, uses his Dragonfire Atavism and sets the guy alight. He runs a little ways before he remembers to stop, drop, and roll, and Tyler picks up the bag and leaves. Unfortunately, his Horror isn't interested in this meal (player failed the Satiety roll and took the dramatic failure), so Tyler is even hungrier now. Fortunately he knows someone else to punish. :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

[...]

Meanwhile, Tyler goes back to the thief's house. She's on her couch, smoking a bowl. He breaks in and hits her with the You Cannot Run Nightmare, and then grabs her head and carves a T into her cheek (for thief). Hungry and pissed off, he spends a Satiety to inflict the Fugue Condition on her, as well, grabs the money she got, and leaves, his Horror happily feasting (he's up to six Satiety; didn't quite crack out of Sated).

[...]

Miriana did indeed drop by the woman's place, and found her door unlocked and her on the couch, catatonic. The place was a Chamber, and Miriana called up Tyler and told him so. Miriana then went to the park and started looking around for people jogging and not appreciating what was around them. She found a woman with a FitBit, running along, and used her You Can Never Rest Nightmare on her to scare her. The woman picked up the pace, and Miriana chased her until the woman outran her, and Miriana's Horror fed on the fear.

[...]

Maia goes on her date. She's lost a dot of Satiety (I made the offer to all of them at the beginning of the sesson; lose a dot, get a Beat), so she's hungry. She activates Heart of the Ocean and, wouldn't you know, Ryan is indeed her type - drawn to bad relationships. She immediately seduces him, looking forward to making his life hell over the next few weeks.

[...]

Meanwhile, the others decide that they'll go in search of Dillon Markway, the temporarily-immortal dude who's troubling Tyler. They can't kill him (like, they literally can't), but maybe they can stash him away for a while. And who's good at that? Why, John, the Ugallu kidnapper! [This guy threw a brick through one of the Beast's shop's windows, remember]

They all four head out to his house, and see that someone's up and watching TV. Tyler and Miriana hide in the backyard while John lurks in the shadows and Maia knocks on the door. A guy answers, and Maia claims to be out of gas, and could he drive her up the road? He agrees, somewhat sleepily (but hey, he was up), and Tyler and Miriana sneak into the house. John assumes shadow form and rides with Maia and the guy, who introduces himself as "Mike."

Tyler sees that the living room is being lived in - blankets, pizza boxes, etc. The upstairs has a room full of boxes, and another bedroom that looks more orderly. The downstairs has a workbench and some scraps of metal and leather, and obviously marked with tools that aren't present. Someone made something and took it with.

Meanwhile, Mike and Maia chat, and he mentions that he's housesitting. Realizing he's not Dillon, she relays this to Tyler, who is annoyed that Dillion isn't there. Maia offers Mike a couple of bucks as they get back to the house, but Mike just tells her to pay it forward, and Maia quickly asks him to get a cup of coffee (not wanting to send him into the house with two Beasts). They chat, and he reveals he did time for car theft, and sometimes does some work under the table for a local guy who collects vintage cars (who happens to be Tyler's annoying neighbor).

Tyler, irritated that Dillon isn't home, notes that it is his house, and torches the place with Dragonfire, reaping the delicious [:gonk:] Satiety that brings. Maia is contemplating inviting Mike home with her, but he gets a call from someone and rushes back to the house, just in time to see the windows explode outwards. The fire department is on the scene, and Maia thanks him and leaves in John's car (with John still in the back).

I'm not reading into anything. That's the language of abuse. This is the way the game is supposed to be played. I have zero interest in its themes. I would probably start to rethink my relationship with a player if they did.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Also, as monsters, Beasts just ain't cool. They're essentially just superheroes with vaguely animal-themed powers. They don't actually drink blood or shapeshift or anything.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

tatankatonk posted:

Here are excerpts from a game run by the head writer of Beast, written by the head writer of Beast.

I'm not reading into anything. That's the language of abuse. This is the way the game is supposed to be played. I have zero interest in its themes. I would probably start to rethink my relationship with a player if they did.

That's loving gross.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

tatankatonk posted:

Y'know maybe I'll just tinker with the mechanics to myself to practice design but give up on the rework part because even if I somehow turned this into God's gift to mankind I'm still in effect validating this sort of bullshit by doing so.

Like, for real, I've been in a abusive relationship, and if someone came to my table trying to play that Makara as justified I'd have to resist bodily throwing them out of my house.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mendrian posted:

I think the disconnect arises because Beasts (seem to) justify themselves as being staightforward in-the-right. Vampire ethics are transparent. There are all different kinds of vampires from guys and gals who try to be normal and get really depressed when they hurt people all the way to Belial's Brood who embrace sociopathy as the road to mental health. I think vampires skew 'evil' as a result (they hurt people to survive) but the game continually acknowledges that you don't get to claim moral immunity just because you're forced to be abusive to the kine. You see the diversity right there in the sample characters, the covenants, and even scrawled into the Humanity rules.

I don't even know if it has to do with ethics much, exactly. As the wise thaumaturge said, "good and evil are subjective, but being a dick cannot be allowed."

I don't find Beasts intolerable because they're evil (although they pretty much all are); I find them intolerable even as fictional protagonists because they're dicks, and they're smug about it.

(Also because everything in the book and the author commentary on the book seems to indicate that the author backs them up in the view that they're justified.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The way they currently work the only media that I can think of that really works for a beast is J. Walter Weatherman from Arrested Development, who's at least managed to monetize teaching lessons by terrorizing people.

The nightmarish horror suddenly sits up and growls, "AND THAT'S WHY YOU ALWAYS LEAVE A NOTE."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Couple all the above poo poo with that Hero example that was, literally, a teenage girl who's great sin was having killed a beast that came to do her harm (in language that is pretty loving rapey, too, so let's go ahead and say it. She killed a monster rapist.) and then trying to claw her way back to being in her own body after the injuries inflicted in the fighting left her comatose and stuck in the astral plain. That's their idea of the bad guy in this scenario.

Not the child-molesting monster rapist. The girl who fought him off and just wants to go home. That's the bad guy.

I'm usually pretty okay with 'edgy' poo poo but that one was way too hosed up for me to be okay with. I actually wound up writing RichT about it, which is the first time in my life I've ever been so genuinely offended by something WW or OPP have done that I've complained about it to them. To his credit, Rich was very good about it, promised to take a good hard look (the part where he was getting dozens of emails about it probably helped), and made sure I felt heard and they did excise that whole section for being too hosed up IIRC.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Loomer posted:

Couple all the above poo poo with that Hero example that was, literally, a teenage girl who's great sin was having killed a beast that came to do her harm (in language that is pretty loving rapey, too, so let's go ahead and say it. She killed a monster rapist.) and then trying to claw her way back to being in her own body after the injuries inflicted in the fighting left her comatose and stuck in the astral plain. That's their idea of the bad guy in this scenario.

Not the child-molesting monster rapist. The girl who fought him off and just wants to go home. That's the bad guy.

That Beast just wanted to teach her a valuable lesson about how you should never feel safe even in your own home, and does he get any gratitude? No, he gets murdered. Makes you wonder who the real monster is...

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
spend a blood point to get a boner

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Loomer posted:

I'm usually pretty okay with 'edgy' poo poo but that one was way too hosed up for me to be okay with. I actually wound up writing RichT about it, which is the first time in my life I've ever been so genuinely offended by something WW or OPP have done that I've complained about it to them. To his credit, Rich was very good about it, promised to take a good hard look (the part where he was getting dozens of emails about it probably helped), and made sure I felt heard and they did excise that whole section for being too hosed up IIRC.

TBH, I would be more interested in playing the Hero who got hosed up by the Beast than the horrifyingly abusive Beast. Although, at that point you're pretty much just playing Changeling so...

Is there anything about Beast that's even close to redeemable?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I was hoping that one of Paradox Interactive's first moves as the new rights holders would be to cancel the gently caress out of Beast, but sadly all the Kickstarters are still going forward.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sampatrick posted:

TBH, I would be more interested in playing the Hero who got hosed up by the Beast than the horrifyingly abusive Beast. Although, at that point you're pretty much just playing Changeling so...

It might be "redeemable" with more work and effort than virtually anyone who dislikes the game as it stands is going to want to spend putting into it, but the problem is that even if you somehow managed to salvage Beast from its extremely lovely state of being that you then have to confront the fact that Beast does nothing that any of the other nWoD gamelines don't already cover in a vastly more interesting fashion. Redeeming Beast at that point means that you're basically going to be reinventing Vampire or Changeling or maybe Slasher.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Sampatrick posted:

Some of the mechanics like Lair are really interesting, and I can't completely disregard the potential in rewriting the fluff to be less about an abuse justification metaphor and more like Better Angels, make it so you're trying to do the least lovely things possible and cultivate the development of legitimately good people by acting as their dialectical opposition. Heroes would be more like sleepwalkers or wolf-blooded, where they just sorta happen, and are very low key unless a beast chooses them to make them a proper hero with the aid of The Narrative, or they zero in on a beast being a giant dickweed. I've got a lot of half-finished notes about making the hero-beast dynamic much more nuanced and personal, allowing for lots of different viewpoints on the matter. Making a "proper" story with a "proper" hero ends with you dying, but it eliminates the Horror permanently, and gives the World of Darkness an actually (more or less) good person with supernatural power in return. You can also do the whole "flip the narrative" thing if you're not interested in altruistic suicide, and become an immortal nightmare monster, but you're barely human by the time you do so and probably a huge jackass.

In short, my rework idea reframes the game's central question to be "What would you choose if you had to choose between yourself and the world?" Of course, this makes it in effect Changeling: the Requiem, but I'd take retreaded ground over the uncharted waters it attempted to sail.

E: welp, Kai beat me to that last point

Daeren fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 12, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Personally what I would have liked was if beasts and hero's were literally the same thing. So hero's are beasts who got all this cool narrative power and decides to help people. And beasts are also hero's who became the bad guy. That would give some interesting themes and people could still be horrible poo poo bags if they wanted to be.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That Beast game report reads like something from the imagination of 80's Satanic Panicked moms.

I wrote up a pitch where Beast was the in-game power fantasies of the WoD's lowest tier scrubs. Like inconveniencing people but not enough to become a Slasher? Embrace your otherkin primal beast: attach cosmic significance to passive-aggressively undercooking table 6's Eggs Over My Hammy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Daeren posted:

Y'know maybe I'll just tinker with the mechanics to myself to practice design but give up on the rework part because even if I somehow turned this into God's gift to mankind I'm still in effect validating this sort of bullshit by doing so.

Like, for real, I've been in a abusive relationship, and if someone came to my table trying to play that Makara as justified I'd have to resist bodily throwing them out of my house.

I was bulled a bunch as a kid, to the point that I had money stolen, bones broken, and seriously contemplated suicide on more than one occasion. The petty bullshit seen in some of the preview characters, and the fact that a lot of the nightmare powers don't seem to be directed and have much futher reaching implications bother me, particularly when the game then goes on to say "Beasts are justified and pure and are doing a good thing". It also plays into the all to real cycle of abuse, where abused become abusers, and doesn't even try to break it. Beasts are maligned by society, so they predate upon society and create heroes, who they then also kill because gently caress them.

I really like Beast mechanically, the way the Atavisms and Nightmares feed into the Satiety system works pretty well, but the game would be served much better by biting the bullet and admitting that you are playing inhuman monsters and probably don't even care. The point of the game should be power, you only care about the little guy as much as avoiding their ire keeps Heroes away, you want to survive long enough to ascend into Myth, after all.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like when your game's premise is that you're playing the inhuman monsters of fairytale and myth, it would be better served by the writers bucking the cliche and having them not just look and act like normal humans 90% of the time.

The monsters that Beast is ostensibly inspired by are defined by their existence in a space outside society: they're society's inverse, living in forests and dungeons and undersea caves. Having them be social chameleons makes the game feel even more like a weak stab at trying to be Vampire.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Kai Tave posted:

It might be "redeemable" with more work and effort than virtually anyone who dislikes the game as it stands is going to want to spend putting into it, but the problem is that even if you somehow managed to salvage Beast from its extremely lovely state of being that you then have to confront the fact that Beast does nothing that any of the other nWoD gamelines don't already cover in a vastly more interesting fashion. Redeeming Beast at that point means that you're basically going to be reinventing Vampire or Changeling or maybe Slasher.

There is some room in the design space for something novel in Beast, but you have to look for it and probably outright invent it yourself because the book as written sure isn't going to make it easy for you. A core part of the problem is that the creatures of myth and legend it wants to emulate are purely reactive things, which exist in the story for the sole purpose of being killed by the hero, either to exemplify the hero's greatness or to teach some moral lesson. No-one pitied the Minotaur, the offspring of a divine curse and bestiality, or asked for its perspective, and it never demonstrates any motive beyond "Well, guess I'm gonna sit in this maze."

My best attempt was to use the family element, but not in a cross-splat manner; to rewrite Beasts so that they're fundamentally not human, and have that mean something. Humanity hates and fears Beasts, and rightly so, but Beasts were born the way they were and don't really have a choice in the matter. They're not there to teach moral lessons, they simply have different modes of existence that, in many ways, are anathema to humanity (but don't actually have to be; those ways are just much easier). Each group has just as much reason to hate and kill the other, but that isn't really the necessary option; peace and mutual benefit are possible too, just difficult. Tribalism and paranoia rule the roost, as each side has instincts telling them to destroy the threat.

I've never been that good with mechanics, though, sadly, so I never really got to hammering down half the things that'd be necessary to complete a rewrite and playtest it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just retheme Leviathan to Beast

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

We were promised Godzillas and given petty assholes who consider Godzilla their spirit animal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I will admit the fact that Otherkin latched onto it as validation is also a black mark against it in my book.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I will admit the fact that Otherkin latched onto it as validation is also a black mark against it in my book.

They did? Where/when exactly did this happen?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kurieg posted:

See also Dreaming.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

NewMars posted:

They did? Where/when exactly did this happen?

Shortly after they announced that they were changing it from "You are born with a beast soul and you undergo a homecoming to discover your lair" to "You are just a psychically aware human who was willingly devoured by a beast to become one" there were some people bitching about it on RPG.net because now they weren't born special and different.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kurieg posted:

Shortly after they announced that they were changing it from "You are born with a beast soul and you undergo a homecoming to discover your lair" to "You are just a psychically aware human who was willingly devoured by a beast to become one" there were some people bitching about it on RPG.net because now they weren't born special and different.

I always liked Vampire and Wraith better than Mage, Changeling, and Werewolf, and part of that was because a vampire or a ghost is something you become, whereas the others are special things you get just for the random chance of being you. That's also part of why I like Awakening better than Ascension- anybody could Awaken under the right circumstances, rather than having to have been born with a special soul.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
That's not how Lost Changeling work, though; they're folks who were kidnapped and altered, not 'special souls'.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

He's talking about oWoD. 2E Werewolf's decided to move away from that as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Axelgear posted:

My best attempt was to use the family element, but not in a cross-splat manner; to rewrite Beasts so that they're fundamentally not human, and have that mean something. Humanity hates and fears Beasts, and rightly so, but Beasts were born the way they were and don't really have a choice in the matter. They're not there to teach moral lessons, they simply have different modes of existence that, in many ways, are anathema to humanity (but don't actually have to be; those ways are just much easier). Each group has just as much reason to hate and kill the other, but that isn't really the necessary option; peace and mutual benefit are possible too, just difficult. Tribalism and paranoia rule the roost, as each side has instincts telling them to destroy the threat.

Except Demon: the Descent covers the whole "truly alien non-human outsiders crashing into the World of Darkness' urban horror setting" way, way better. I keep having to remind myself that the same person who wrote Demon also wrote Beast because man, they could not be more different on every conceivable level.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I always liked Vampire and Wraith better than Mage, Changeling, and Werewolf, and part of that was because a vampire or a ghost is something you become, whereas the others are special things you get just for the random chance of being you. That's also part of why I like Awakening better than Ascension- anybody could Awaken under the right circumstances, rather than having to have been born with a special soul.

Too be fair to Ascension, everyone has an avatar, just most are "asleep". Anyone in Ascension could theoretically awaken as well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

Too be fair to Ascension, everyone has an avatar, just most are "asleep". Anyone in Ascension could theoretically awaken as well.

Really? I thought you had to be a reincarnated person with a special Avatar in order to awaken.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

Really? I thought you had to be a reincarnated person with a special Avatar in order to awaken.

No, it jsut made it easier because your avatar had woken up once already. TO be fair, it's not quite clear in the text because the in-universe groups don't all realize this and so have different opinions on what makes someone awaken and, this being old white wolf, a lot of the books are written from an in-character perspective.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferrinus posted:

Also, as monsters, Beasts just ain't cool. They're essentially just superheroes with vaguely animal-themed powers. They don't actually drink blood or shapeshift or anything.

What? What the hell is the point of playing a dragon if you don't play a dragon at some point?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Kai Tave posted:

Except Demon: the Descent covers the whole "truly alien non-human outsiders crashing into the World of Darkness' urban horror setting" way, way better. I keep having to remind myself that the same person who wrote Demon also wrote Beast because man, they could not be more different on every conceivable level.

He was a Co-Developer. Rose Bailey's presence did a lot to help the end product. Also, if memory serves, the initial concept of Demon was from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

zeal posted:

What? What the hell is the point of playing a dragon if you don't play a dragon at some point?

The only way you get to transform into a dragon is in one of the apothesis failure states.