Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

But literally everything gives you exp in this game. Doing events gives you exp, doing adventures gives you exp, doing hero points gives you exp.
Yeah, but it isn't very much XP.

I get where you're coming from here but holy crap, those masteries take ridiculous levels of XP. I show up as mastery level 27 I think, and the only reason I was able to grind out that many was that I didn't have a job up until this Monday, so I was playing ~12 hours a day for the past two weeks.

The 1-2 level masteries are relatively quick but the 5-mastery ones are ~2.5mil XP. I'm scared of how long it's going to take to grind out some of the top level ones.

The only way I can figure a lot of people have such high numbers is that they are both better at grinding out XP than I am and/or that they had gazillions of writs of XP saved up in their bank from playing over the past few years (which I didn't do) and just used a bunch of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Schpyder posted:

I'm wondering what high-level masteries are required for map completion. I legitimately don't know! I've only run the first chapter of the HoT story, and a bunch of HP trains in verdant and auric. I've explored a good amount of TD, and barely walked into DS. In that time I've seen like one spot locked by wallows (in NE auric, which has an HP challenge, POI, and vista), and the chak area in the lower NW of TD that needs poison mastery for I think a mastery point?

The only strictly required one is updrafts, aside from that single arbitrary hero challenge requiring poison mastery in Tangled Depths. Everything else you can get around with teleports to friends or a helpful mesmer.

If you don't have any friends, or mesmers, you'll also end up needing exalted mastery, nuhoch wallows, and leyline gliding.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, but it isn't very much XP.

I get where you're coming from here but holy crap, those masteries take ridiculous levels of XP. I show up as mastery level 27 I think, and the only reason I was able to grind out that many was that I didn't have a job up until this Monday, so I was playing ~12 hours a day for the past two weeks.

The 1-2 level masteries are relatively quick but the 5-mastery ones are ~2.5mil XP. I'm scared of how long it's going to take to grind out some of the top level ones.

The only way I can figure a lot of people have such high numbers is that they are both better at grinding out XP than I am and/or that they had gazillions of writs of XP saved up in their bank from playing over the past few years (which I didn't do) and just used a bunch of those.

I do have a job and i play several other games besides this one and the exp comes a lot faster than you can use it. I had to spend the last several days hunting down mastery points because i had a couple maxed masteries and about 13 points behind what i needed to unlock them. I think i am at lvl 55 or so, people are vastly underestimating how fast exp comes.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I don't understand the obsession that people are expressing that we need to max out every mastery available. I'm playing the HoT living story 16 times on different characters to get all the Auric skins without having to craft them. That's a real grind.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schpyder posted:

I understand the frustration of having "what you want to play" locked behind high-level masteries, but unless "what you want to play" is finding invisible mushrooms or challenging exalted champs or maybe getting slightly better results on an adventure with speed boost shrooms in it, I don't really see much if any core HoT content locked behind high-level masteries. Just some of the stuff to complete the advanced versions of the elite spec weapons.

Here's an example of one thing that really frustrates me: I was doing Auric Basin hero points, and I found the one behind the falls that it seemed I couldn't get to without leyline gliding. That sucked to see that, I wouldn't get leyline gliding for a long time, and who knows how much map content would be blocked for me behind that bridge. After a tip from someone, I found out that you could use (until Anet changes that geometry at least) experimental rifle to cheese that part, and get over the gap, which I did. So I got the hero point, then a bit further into that cave, there were a billion leylines in this huge cavern that looked kinda like a jumping puzzle which I absolutely love and want to do. But there was no way to cheese that, and I will not be able to do that puzzle, that content type which I really really like, for an extremely long time. At my current rate it may be 6+ months.

This is why it's frustrating. Content that a player may very well be really wanting to do, right in front of their face, isn't available not because of any skill gate (like if I had to learn how to do a certain jump a number of times, that's fine), but because of this arbitrary experience/mastery/time gate. It's incredibly frustrating as someone who is clearly playing very slowly, to see content right there in front of me and I literally cannot do it no matter what, for a long period of time that I have to spend grinding out these masteries.\

Hope that makes sense.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

malhavok posted:

I do have a job and i play several other games besides this one and the exp comes a lot faster than you can use it. I had to spend the last several days hunting down mastery points because i had a couple maxed masteries and about 13 points behind what i needed to unlock them. I think i am at lvl 55 or so, people are vastly underestimating how fast exp comes.

We've got the opposite problem then. I've got a lot more mastery points than I can spend any time soon.

I'm frustrated with the same thing CLAM DOWN is.

Don't get me wrong: I like the mastery system in HoT, it reminds me sort of Metroidvania-style "you can see it but you can't get there just yet". I just think the XP levels needed for the higher level masteries are pretty onerous.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

Here's an example of one thing that really frustrates me: I was doing Auric Basin hero points, and I found the one behind the falls that it seemed I couldn't get to without leyline gliding. That sucked to see that, I wouldn't get leyline gliding for a long time, and who knows how much map content would be blocked for me behind that bridge. After a tip from someone, I found out that you could use (until Anet changes that geometry at least) experimental rifle to cheese that part, and get over the gap, which I did. So I got the hero point, then a bit further into that cave, there were a billion leylines in this huge cavern that looked kinda like a jumping puzzle which I absolutely love and want to do. But there was no way to cheese that, and I will not be able to do that puzzle, that content type which I really really like, for an extremely long time. At my current rate it may be 6+ months.

This is why it's frustrating. Content that a player may very well be really wanting to do, right in front of their face, isn't available not because of any skill gate (like if I had to learn how to do a certain jump a number of times, that's fine), but because of this arbitrary experience/mastery/time gate. It's incredibly frustrating as someone who is clearly playing very slowly, to see content right there in front of me and I literally cannot do it no matter what, for a long period of time that I have to spend grinding out these masteries.\

Hope that makes sense.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this, and am doubly frustrated because I liked the fact that pre HoT GW2 was the exact opposite of that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The only strictly required one is updrafts, aside from that single arbitrary hero challenge requiring poison mastery in Tangled Depths. Everything else you can get around with teleports to friends or a helpful mesmer.

If you don't have any friends, or mesmers, you'll also end up needing exalted mastery, nuhoch wallows, and leyline gliding.

There's also a Vista in Dragon's Stand that can't be gotten without poison mastery. So... you need poison mastery and updrafts. Nuhoch Wallows and Ley Line Gliding are required to get to a total of two areas to my awareness, so you need a friendly mesmer or TtF buddy for those.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

There's also a Vista in Dragon's Stand that can't be gotten without poison mastery. So... you need poison mastery and updrafts. Nuhoch Wallows and Ley Line Gliding are required to get to a total of two areas to my awareness, so you need a friendly mesmer or TtF buddy for those.

While you/I can absolutely get a mesmer port or TP to friend for those things, that's relying on someone else for content that for over 3 years we haven't had to. That's why it's a frustrating change in direction.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and even with that hero point that normally requires poison mastery, you can just get a maguuma hero point scroll from doing wvw once you have the rest and unlock it that way.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It seems like a lot of people feel obligated to get all the masteries just because they're there, even though quite a few of them don't offer very much. With the exception of gliding, I don't care about most of the high-level Maguuma masteries because they wouldn't affect me all that much. The last two for Itzel and nuhoch lore seem unnecessary to me, and even the last two for exalted lore don't seem like that big of a deal unless I really want to complete a collection. So right there that's 4-6 masteries, or 53 mastery points I don't care when or if I get.

I do agree the exp requirement for some is a bit steep and I think it's pretty likely it will be reduced at some point. Personally, I'm more concerned about the number of mastery points I'll need to unlock all the stuff I want. Needing 8 points to get a champ bag or 12 to eat a mushroom seems excessive.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It seems like a lot of people feel obligated to get all the masteries just because they're there, even though quite a few of them don't offer very much. With the exception of gliding, I don't care about most of the high-level Maguuma masteries because they wouldn't affect me all that much.

For the record, advanced gliding is loving awesome.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It seems like a lot of people feel obligated to get all the masteries just because they're there,

If the mastery level wasn't visible under your name to all other players like some new sperglord dickwaving showoff thing, I don't think most people would care as much.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, that's one of the masteries I really want. All of the gliding stuff seems cool and each tier seems like it adds something valuable. A lot of the final tiers for the other ones seem kind of boring and not really worth the effort.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CLAM DOWN posted:

While you/I can absolutely get a mesmer port or TP to friend for those things, that's relying on someone else for content that for over 3 years we haven't had to. That's why it's a frustrating change in direction.

What about all the stuff that's gated behind levels? Behind minimum party size? That stuff has been in the game since launch. You had to grind up 70 levels before you could even think about setting foot in Orr, and even if you had people help you get there, it's still a huge pain in the rear end to get around at level 8.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Yeah, that's one of the masteries I really want. All of the gliding stuff seems cool and each tier seems like it adds something valuable. A lot of the final tiers for the other ones seem kind of boring and not really worth the effort.

I actually haven't found any use to leaning.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

What about all the stuff that's gated behind levels? Behind minimum party size? That stuff has been in the game since launch. You had to grind up 70 levels before you could even think about setting foot in Orr, and even if you had people help you get there, it's still a huge pain in the rear end to get around at level 8.

I'm not talking about that stuff. I know a bunch of stuff that's been gated behind a group/party size/etc since launch, I'm not talking about any of that. Gating Orr behind levels is not what I'm talking about either, you're missing my point. I'm talking about the casual solo activities like map completion and jumping puzzles that never were gated, and now are.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

If the mastery level wasn't visible under your name to all other players like some new sperglord dickwaving showoff thing, I don't think most people would care as much.

The truth finally comes out.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
If you could work on masteries before level 80, and the tiers were reworked such that getting 1-2 before level 80 in maybe like 2 tracks would be pretty neat. That way new players could start working on it, and getting rewarded right out of the gate. Also I can start using my underleveled alts again.

But don't you need HoT and have to beat the first HoT mission just to unlock tyrian masteries?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
where are the capes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not talking about that stuff. I know a bunch of stuff that's been gated behind a group/party size/etc since launch, I'm not talking about any of that. Gating Orr behind levels is not what I'm talking about either, you're missing my point. I'm talking about the casual solo activities like map completion and jumping puzzles that never were gated, and now are.

How is it, fundamentally, different? You still need to be a certain level to map complete anything in the game that's not a city. Would you have been happier if they'd just raised the level cap and scaled it such that Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand would just straight up murder you if you hadn't earned enough experience in previous zones?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I wish there was more supported 5 man content. I really like small group content in mmos. Fractals are cool but they are so bite sized for how little of them there are.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have you seen other people being show offs or being rude to people about their mastery points? I haven't, but I don't actually notice other people's numbers unless they're ridiculously high. Making fun of someone for having less masteries makes about as much sense as making fun of them for being a lower level. There is no real reason to actually have the numbers be public though, especially if some people don't like it.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kajeesus posted:

Well. Actually, no. I tried getting into orr as low a level as I could. I did need help getting into orr at level 10, but that's because the entire beachside is insanely swarmed with no completed events around. But even at a low level, I was actually able to kill and recieve credit for tequatl. And the grind to level 70 wasn't hard if you didn't focus entirely on running from story mission to story mission. There is so much content in the game that I got to level 80 while completing maps in order of levels before I even gotten into uh. gently caress what was it? Before teqs swamp, I remember that much. Anyway, at no point did I feel like I was grinding cause there was cool poo poo to do.

I guess the main problem with masteries right now is that you NEED a few things like bouncing shrooms and stuff just to really have a good time running around doing poo poo in HoT.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Stuff is not bad. Travel powers and learning mob tells turn map travel from a chore to a pleasure. The majority of players are still at the chore stage, which kills TU and momfights especially.

Apparently DS isn't checking for an active momfight before rolling up an instance, so oops. But it does check for one before dragon destruction, which is good.

Real tempted to hop in a rat lane hive regent chak gerent defense to get credit from a bug. Maybe Tuesday.

I'm not comfortable with elite specs yet due to altitis, and so I get in trouble some, but I can see where things are headed.

Currency grinds are terrible, again due to altitis and shiny objects.

2GW2HOT is good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

How is it, fundamentally, different? You still need to be a certain level to map complete anything in the game that's not a city. Would you have been happier if they'd just raised the level cap and scaled it such that Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand would just straight up murder you if you hadn't earned enough experience in previous zones?

No, that's not my preference, and I still feel like you're not getting my point, I'm not talking about levels (which I can tome through to 80 in 2 minutes). I put that jumping puzzle example above you can read but I guess you don't agree, which is fine. I don't want to argue and I'm not mad, just pretty disappointed with this direction but that's my personal opinion and you're obviously free to think I'm wrong. If it wasn't for SFD and the awesome people I play with I can't even be sure I'd be playing much anymore, but again that's my personal opinion and I'm just expressing it.

Have you seen other people being show offs or being rude to people about their mastery points?

Not yet, but knowing MMO players it's only a matter of time.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Have you seen other people being show offs or being rude to people about their mastery points? I haven't, but I don't actually notice other people's numbers unless they're ridiculously high. Making fun of someone for having less masteries makes about as much sense as making fun of them for being a lower level. There is no real reason to actually have the numbers be public though, especially if some people don't like it.

I've seen it a couple times so far. Also, have you played World of Warcraft? Because that's a very good example of how people love to use numbers to make fun of other people (yes the whole game. just starting out in arena? get your arena score made fun of. Not level 100 yet? what's wrong with you, scrub? not item level 9001? lol what a baddie. don't have 31,000 achievement points? what are you a casual?).

Stepping onto my cynical soap box for a bit, it's human nature to do that, and it's going to eventually have a bearing on pick up groups like a form of gearscore check. Not that I'm doom and glooming here; just pointing out that something doesn't have to make sense to be used as a means of belittling someone else.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

malhavok posted:

I actually haven't found any use to leaning.

Leaning itself shortens your flight distance (unless you have the aforementioned advanced gliding) but Lean Mastery does give you a much longer glide distance if you don't lean which is pretty cool.

e:

ImPureAwesome posted:

I wish there was more supported 5 man content. I really like small group content in mmos. Fractals are cool but they are so bite sized for how little of them there are.

Yeah I'm probably in the minority for this but I totally lost interest in fractals when the xpac hit, and I used to do both 40 & 49/50 daily. I guess they've taken on dungeons' role as bite-sized (well put) pve but I like longer instanced content. Doing a set of fractals with other experienced players was usually 40 - 60 minutes which was the perfect length for me.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 12, 2015

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Lean mastery gives you a greater endurance pool for gliding, and leaning forward reduces the rate you drop during forward motion, at the cost of more endurance lost. So basically you can either glide for longer, or glide shallowerer. That is a word now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, that's not my preference, and I still feel like you're not getting my point, I'm not talking about levels (which I can tome through to 80 in 2 minutes). I put that jumping puzzle example above you can read but I guess you don't agree, which is fine. I don't want to argue and I'm not mad, just pretty disappointed with this direction but that's my personal opinion and you're obviously free to think I'm wrong. If it wasn't for SFD and the awesome people I play with I can't even be sure I'd be playing much anymore, but again that's my personal opinion and I'm just expressing it.

Not yet, but knowing MMO players it's only a matter of time.

LF1M for raid, ML 150 req

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah I'm probably in the minority for this but I totally lost interest in fractals when the xpac hit, and I used to do both 40 & 49/50 daily. I guess they've taken on dungeons' role as bite-sized (well put) pve but I like longer instanced content. Doing a set of fractals with other experienced players was usually 40 - 60 minutes which was the perfect length for me.

So me and Calm Down (the casual scrub contingent) both have been running them a lot more - how are the changes negative to your preference? Before hand it was a mandatory 3 or whatever (which is why I only did it once, being hard to commit to that much time in a row), how is it different to just run 3 in a row with your crew? Or 4, 5, whatever floats your boat.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Mastery question: does poison mastery help in the final story mission Mordremoth fight, where he poisons the whole platform? Because my glider didn't work half the time to get away. After my third slog, I said "gently caress this" and went to bed.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I understand where Arus is coming from, I was HP hunting with my reaper in Auric and at least half of the points where hidden behind some sort of mastery thing, never mind the ones that are both behind some mastery thing and guarded by an insanely powerful champion, same with just wanting to do puzzles, hit up a vista point of interest, outside of the level limit nothing really stops you from 100% a zone the moment you enter it but now its different.

quote:

Have you done any central tyria ones?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

xZAOx posted:

So me and Calm Down (the casual scrub contingent) both have been running them a lot more - how are the changes negative to your preference? Before hand it was a mandatory 3 or whatever (which is why I only did it once, being hard to commit to that much time in a row), how is it different to just run 3 in a row with your crew? Or 4, 5, whatever floats your boat.

Dunno, just doesn't feel the same :shrug: Can't offer more than that.

Aleph Null posted:

Mastery question: does poison mastery help in the final story mission Mordremoth fight, where he poisons the whole platform? Because my glider didn't work half the time to get away. After my third slog, I said "gently caress this" and went to bed.

Sure doesn't!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ley line gliding is pretty cool too since they're directional updrafts and while you're in the flow you're tripping balls the whole time :420:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Same. I've been having fun just messing around in the new maps, doing meta events, leading goons through to get hero points/map completion, etc. I think part of the reason I haven't really been bothered by the mastery exp as much is because of the hero trains as you get an absolute shitload of exp doing them and I've always enjoyed running around maps with other people so I've been happy to do them repeatedly. It's also one of the reasons why I like Orr so much :shobon:

Alteisen posted:

I understand where Arus is coming from, I was HP hunting with my reaper in Auric and at least half of the points where hidden behind some sort of mastery thing, never mind the ones that are both behind some mastery thing and guarded by an insanely powerful champion, same with just wanting to do puzzles, hit up a vista point of interest, outside of the level limit nothing really stops you from 100% a zone the moment you enter it but now its different.
There are only three points out of 11 locked behind masteries higher than basic gliding/mushrooms and a mesmer can port you to all three.

I've posted these before but if you're getting frustrated by finding or doing hero challenges, Dulfy has some great guides:
Verdant Brink
Auric Basin
Tangled Depths
Dragon's Stand

minus the walrus
Apr 8, 2007

gw2.jpg

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

I did the same with the beaded bags. It looked so cool.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"X class can port to you to said HP ergo its ok!"

No its not ok, stop with this retarded argument already.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Have you done any central tyria ones?

I think 2 that i've gotten strictly from doing goomteq.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm giving the bladed coat a try, in Nilgoow's favorite colors.

I love the obvious dervish inspiration but it's just so... busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Everyone can join me for some Diablo 3. New patch is coming soon 😜😜😜😜

• Locked thread