Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I on my need to walk into the room with a towel and every single one of my lot goes into Murder death kill Mode with the shreaking, the flapping, the snapping and the hissing. Even the canaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Your birb is taking a more proactive approach than Pepper.

Speaking of Pepper, I wonder what he's up to now...

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bandwagoning

Ohtori fed it a poffin, then kept pecking/tapping it and pissing it off. Pending was too busy rapid-fire-beaking the screen to get a non-blurry photo

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Well I can't post those type of photos, unless you want a GBA version.

So instead you get an image dump.

Most people don't understand her size when they see photo's of her, so I thought some reference is in order.

Made some toys for Bonny this week.

I spent 2 hours making her toys, then found a phone book and spent 5 min hanging it in her cage, and what does she spend all her time playing with...

I was cleaning Bonny's room, she thought she was helping.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

1500 posted:

Well I can't post those type of photos, unless you want a GBA version.

So instead you get an image dump.

Most people don't understand her size when they see photo's of her, so I thought some reference is in order.

I spent 2 hours making her toys, then found a phone book and spent 5 min hanging it in her cage, and what does she spend all her time playing with...

I was cleaning Bonny's room, she thought she was helping.

This is unbearably awesome and I would like to have all Bonny photos forever.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

1500 posted:

You could post that type of photo but I fear for your GBA around her beak

How much did you spend on toys (say per week or month) compared to now when you make your own? How quickly does she go through a toy like the ones you posted under the box photo? How much of the older/destroyed toys are you able to recycle on average? Have you ever given her one of those acrylic paper roll holders or a box of tissues to play with?

Questions :3:

PS While searching for an image of the acrylic paper roll holder thing I found this, and have to try it sometime

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 12, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't know why but cockatoos kinda scare me while macaws just seem like doofuses

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Mookie, I don't know what horrors you've endured in the past, but I promise clipping my own toenails is nothing to flip poo poo about. Spaz.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I don't know why but cockatoos kinda scare me while macaws just seem like doofuses

I always got the sense that cockatoos are more calculating and deliberate, versus a macaw's "everything is awesome let's play" perpetually in the moment general attitude. Or maybe it's the crest, very intimidating.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Toos are goofy as hell. They're just more obviously insane whereas macaws I think are a bit more subdued. I think it's because toos live in huge flocks while macaws don't.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

How much did you spend on toys (say per week or month) compared to now when you make your own?

Not a bird-haver, but I am a fairly frequent buyer-of-lumber for small projects. You can get an untreated yellow pine 2x4x8 for maybe 2.25 USD, and 1x2x8 pine/spruce/fir pieces for maybe 90 cents. That big dangly toy he posted a picture of looks like it might have maybe $1.50 worth of lumber in it, in addition to the metal hardware.

Nov 3, 2015

A first for Bonny and I, was inspired so gave this a go this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdJh4cmurMI

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

1500 posted:

:kimchi:

I wish Ritz would do that!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

1500 posted:

I love Bonny's talking voice :3: She's enjoying it so much :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori fed it a poffin, then kept pecking/tapping it and pissing it off. Pending was too busy rapid-fire-beaking the screen to get a non-blurry photo
Steve just wants love :derptiel: Someday, buddy.

1500 posted:

Oh my goddd :3: The picture was fantastic with how delighted she looks and then the video made it even better, especially since she sounds like she's saying "More, more!"

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Covered up Ohtori, remembered Inko's nails needed doing, so grabbed and burritoed him for that... it takes a while because they get long, it's hard to see where the quick is, and his toes are in the wrong directions and awkward to grab so after foot #1 we put him on the floor to cool down and calm a bit. He started shuffling away so I tried to nudge him back, he kept going, so I held him under his wings and decided to just risk picking him up really quick - he didn't give a poo poo????

Put him on my knee, he shuffled up and cuddled up to me, his unfiled foot was sticking out so decided to see what would happen if I tried to hold a toe and file the nail-he was too upset to care apparently and did nothing. :stare: Unfortunately the position wasn't the best angle so we had to burrito him again, and afterwards when he let him go he stepped up on to the perch I was holding... and shuffled all the way to the end to cuddle into my hand omg. Tested it by moving my hand away twice and both times he cuddled back into it. :kimchi:

May have later ruined some of the goodwill though-he climbed up the wall of his cage, climbed to the ceiling to travel across it as usual, and instantly fell off to the floor thanks to his nails being much shorter than he remembered-couldn't help but laugh my rear end off at him, but he laughed too when he picked himself up :3:

Excited and posting a bunch about him lately because it feels like I'm this close to him stepping up, finally

Khizan posted:

Not a bird-haver, but I am a fairly frequent buyer-of-lumber for small projects. You can get an untreated yellow pine 2x4x8 for maybe 2.25 USD, and 1x2x8 pine/spruce/fir pieces for maybe 90 cents. That big dangly toy he posted a picture of looks like it might have maybe $1.50 worth of lumber in it, in addition to the metal hardware.

Wow. So you're saying I need to make friends with a carpenter or similar?

1500 posted:

Did she need much/any persuasion?

Tendai posted:

Steve just wants love :derptiel: Someday, buddy.

Steve was not impressed with Skarmory-maybe Talonflame would have been better, it worked for Pepper!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Is it their (typically) solid black eyes? I've always thought they looked kinda shark-like.

Nov 3, 2015

Battle Pigeon posted:

How much did you spend on toys (say per week or month) compared to now when you make your own? How quickly does she go through a toy like the ones you posted under the box photo? How much of the older/destroyed toys are you able to recycle on average? Have you ever given her one of those acrylic paper roll holders or a box of tissues to play with?

I have not been meaning to ignore your questions (forgot to answer one).

So I have also read that Macaws hit their adulthood at about 2, but I don't have any experience so I am unsure what to look for. What I have read, said that they good moody, hormonal, and aggressive (it happens to be the number one time that large parrots get re-homed, as the owners can't handle this phase, its also when some owners stop interacting with their birds and make the situation worse). Well she was all of those things, but I don't know if it was because she was just re-homed, or what, I had a suspicion that the reason the last owners were re-homing was because of this change in her. The other thing that I had read was that they go through a much larger molt then normal, well she definitely did that, I have a stack of feathers from her (it seemed like she molted every feather on her body). So to answer your question, I think so but am not sure.

Toys:
Before I got her I had already decided that I would be making her toys, that just purchasing them would be more expensive (It was also a good excuse to purchase some tools that I wanted). The day I got her I purchased a number of toys, one of them this.

I think it was $15 at the local store. That toy lasted ONE day. I purchased some others, and was given some more, as a new bird gift. One of those was this $40 toy.

It took her 3 days to strip everything off of that. Over those first two weeks I calculated that she would go through about $10 a day in toys (around $80 a week). So I had to step up my toy making and get going, in order to feed the wood chipper with wings. I was able to recreate that toy (with only square blocks, and dowels), for about $3 each refill.

Upfront Purchases:
Miter Saw ~200
Table saw ~300
1/2in corded drill ~60.

Materials:
~$3 for a 2"x4"x8' (douglas fir, have not found yellow pine around here), and ~30 for the hardware (stuff that will last multiple toys). The toys in those photo's are not ideal, and will last longer then I would like them too. I didn't have much time and just made larger cuts, those blocks are larger then I would like, and will end up lasting about a week or more depending on how bored she gets of them. Each of the toys cost about ~$3 to make (ignoring the left over toys that I tacked on), and reusable hardware. How much I can reuse really depends on her, her moods change and so some times she destroys everything, other times she ignores a toy.

She has made it her mission to destroy anything acrylic, I had an acrylic ring with smaller rings around it (hand me down from my parents Grey's, they had it for years). First day I put it up, and not 15 min latter and I hear this loud snap, I turn around and she had snapped off one of the smaller rings. Well now that she knew how to do it, it took her all of 30 sec to take the other 6 off, and that was the end of that toy. But I have been thinking of trying the roll of paper, and the box of tissues is a good idea.

1500 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 12, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Put him on my knee, he shuffled up and cuddled up to me, his unfiled foot was sticking out so decided to see what would happen if I tried to hold a toe and file the nail-he was too upset to care apparently and did nothing. :stare: Unfortunately the position wasn't the best angle so we had to burrito him again, and afterwards when he let him go he stepped up on to the perch I was holding... and shuffled all the way to the end to cuddle into my hand omg. Tested it by moving my hand away twice and both times he cuddled back into it. :kimchi:

May have later ruined some of the goodwill though-he climbed up the wall of his cage, climbed to the ceiling to travel across it as usual, and instantly fell off to the floor thanks to his nails being much shorter than he remembered-couldn't help but laugh my rear end off at him, but he laughed too when he picked himself up :3:

Excited and posting a bunch about him lately because it feels like I'm this close to him stepping up, finally
Aw man, that's awesome :3: And hilarious about him falling off the cage, I would have laughed too.

He's making progress!

The smaller cockatoos always look so delighted to me for some reason, look at how happy that little guy looks.

When you combine that with the cheap-Mexican-restaurant-decoration crest that the Major Mitchell's/Leadbeater cockatoo has, it's marvelous :allears:

EDIT: I mean look at this ridiculous goddamn bird :3:

Nov 3, 2015

Battle Pigeon posted:

Did she need much/any persuasion?

Right forgot about this one.

I have tried the shower before, placed her in the tub and turned the water on, but she really didn't like it. After reading about other people showering with their birds i thought I would give the shower thing another go. So this time I turned it on first and then got her. Again I tried to put her near the water but she just leaned away and then finally ran up my arm and onto my shoulder (this was only the 2nd time she has been on my shoulder). So I just stepped into the shower, she still leaned away and hid behind my head, so I put my head under the water a few times, each time she would get splashed. Well watching me doing it and getting wet herself gave her the courage to move back over to my shoulder and give it a go herself. Turns out she loves it, she has been a very happy bird all day today.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

Wow. So you're saying I need to make friends with a carpenter or similar?

It's not complicated carpentry; you could almost certainly do it yourself.

You don't need the ~$500 in tools that 1500 has, either. If all you want to do is make bird toys all you really need is a cheap drill($30-$40), a half-inch drill bit($5) some sandpaper, and a saw. Since your birds are smaller than Bonny you might be able to use something like furring strips, and if that's the case you could do it with a handsaw pretty easily. If you want a power saw, you can grab a low-end miter saw for under a hundred bucks, or a circular saw for less than $50. You don't need 500 bucks worth of saw to chop up a couple of pine 2x4s once a week(though it's a great excuse to buy more tools if tools are your thing).

At the pants-shittingly insane prices for wooden bird toys a $100 tool investment pays for itself pretty quickly.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 13, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

Khizan posted:

You don't need the ~$500 in tools that 1500 has, either. If all you want to do is make bird toys all you really need is a cheap drill($30-$40), a half-inch drill bit($5) some sandpaper, and a saw. Since your birds are smaller than Bonny you might be able to use something like furring strips, and if that's the case you could do it with a handsaw pretty easily. If you want a power saw, you can grab a low-end miter saw for under a hundred bucks, or a circular saw for less than $50. You don't need 500 bucks worth of saw to chop up a couple of pine 2x4s once a week(though it's a great excuse to buy more tools if tools are your thing).

You are right, but I hate the cheep Harbor Freight junk, I have had no luck with their power tools. Air compresses and such are great, but the power tools, i have found, fall apart and you end up having to buy another one within the year so might as well spend more and have something that will last a while. My prices was the next step up in quality, I also do my own home remodeling and other projects, so it made since to get nicer stuff. I would not want to make her toys with a hand saw, there are just far too many cuts for that (32-50 cuts per 8 foot board, depending on what size I am going for), but you could get away with not owning a table saw (they really do come in handy).

If you are going to shop
http://www.harborfreight.com/

They are a coupon company and you can get their stuff even cheaper if you are willing to wait.

1500 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 13, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Khizan posted:

At the pants-shittingly insane prices for wooden bird toys a $100 tool investment pays for itself pretty quickly.

It would be cool, but even aside from still needing money for the initial investment, a tiny third floor apartment is not the most spacious or ideal setting for woodworking. :v:

Thankfully small conures and cockatiels don't go through toys nearly that fast.

Thanks for the replies 1500.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

How much does a soaking wet macaw weigh? :3:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

1500 posted:

You are right, but I hate the cheep Harbor Freight junk, I have had no luck with their power tools.

I wouldn't go Harbor Freight for power tools, but you can get a low-end Ryobi/Skilsaw/Black&Decker circular saw for pretty cheap and that'd be more than enough saw for bird toys, especially if you've got something less destructive than a macaw.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I know companies use food colouring or something to dye their toys, but what do you use?

Nov 3, 2015

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I know companies use food colouring or something to dye their toys, but what do you use?

food coloring, mixed with Vinegar, water works, just not as well. I purchased some isopropyl alcohol that I will try with the next batch of toys.

1500 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 13, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love when Judah gets in the mood for a conversation :3: I was just going outside and as I passed his cage he sidled up to me and slicked his crest back and let out a "whatcha doin?" When I answered, he diverted talk to him being a pretty boy, then chortled when I said I agreed with him.

Goddamn cute-rear end potato birbs.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mizuti posted:

Is it their (typically) solid black eyes? I've always thought they looked kinda shark-like.

It's more that cockatoos often act as derpy as their pint size cousins but I feel like they can shift from that to neurotic or angry at the drop of a hat versus macaws who can be dicks but it seems like what you see is what you get. Though looking back my buddy's parents had an umbrella cockatoo that absolutely loved me and I would give her scritches all the time so I don't know why they scare me

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Tendai posted:

I love when Judah gets in the mood for a conversation :3: I was just going outside and as I passed his cage he sidled up to me and slicked his crest back and let out a "whatcha doin?" When I answered, he diverted talk to him being a pretty boy, then chortled when I said I agreed with him.

Goddamn cute-rear end potato birbs.

Super jealous you have a talking potato. I know it's drat near impossible but is there anything I can do to get daisy to make any noise other than *chirp* at varying degrees of loud?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

anotherblownsave posted:

Super jealous you have a talking potato. I know it's drat near impossible but is there anything I can do to get daisy to make any noise other than *chirp* at varying degrees of loud?

Keep talking to her, if she does anything close to imitating you, then get super excited.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What is Judah's chortling like? Does he do a "Heh heh heh" sort of thing, or...?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

What is Judah's chortling like? Does he do a "Heh heh heh" sort of thing, or...?

I imagine something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8PTMSFMUg

(Never not post this video :kimchi:)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

I always want to onomonotopoeia-ize it by writing "pee-po-po" even though it doesn't actually have a P sound in it and I'm not sure why I want to do it that way. It's a really, really distinctive little sound, like a self-satisfied "heh heh heh" but in cockatiel burbles.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I imagine something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8PTMSFMUg

(Never not post this video :kimchi:)
Pft no Judah is a ~*charming young man*~

(sometimes)

EDIT: Whoops missed this

anotherblownsave posted:

Honestly, my last cockatiel Eriza was a female and that was basically it. She didn't make noise as OFTEN as Judah does, but when she did it was loud and often grating. Judah's more or less constant cockatiel noises are way easier to deal with, even when he has "HELLO IT IS TIME FOR YELLING GLORIOUS YELLING" mornings.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 13, 2015

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

anotherblownsave posted:

Nugget is 8 and only makes chirp/peep noises and I talk to her a lot. Nugget is super dumb but also female cockatiels are not known for their mimicry. Maybe Daisy is smarter :derptiel:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
RIP Peter :(

He had a week of pure bliss with fat bird in the cage next door and passed away during the night. He was old, at least 6 years when we got him 3 years ago, and his little heart must have given out. :(

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

learnincurve posted:

He had a week of pure bliss with fat bird in the cage next door and passed away during the night. He was old, at least 6 years when we got him 3 years ago, and his little heart must have given out. :(

I'm very sorry to hear that :( at least he went with some happiness.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Hey you time to wake up

Hm yes that's good but how about... a JINGLY TOY

Woah okay yeah maybe not gimme that back

He followed after it, and now of course is ignoring my efforts, even with the Cheerios and cardamon in the box

learnincurve posted:

Sorry about your birb :( Will you get another for the female now, or she's chill being on her own?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
She seems perfectly happy to eat and sit all day long on her own. I don't think she ever acnowlaged his existence, his was truly a doomed unrequited love.
however she does not seem scared or bothered by my presence at all so I might have a chance of hand taming her, if only because moving away from me would require effort and fat bird is too lazy for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Pip pip pip posted:

Nugget is 8 and only makes chirp/peep noises and I talk to her a lot. Nugget is super dumb but also female cockatiels are not known for their mimicry. Maybe Daisy is smarter :derptiel:

Hahaha yeah I figured as much. I don't think she's any smarter :derptiel: