Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PAL is still used for SD media in Europe and Australasia (or at least bits of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

At this point it's pretty much used in place of "Europe and Australia".

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It's called PAL because we're all such good friends.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

irlZaphod posted:

At this point it's pretty much used in place of "Europe and Australia".

Along with South Africa and weird parts of Asia. Of course we could all just call it "Europe" (and some do actually) but I think those other folks wouldn't like it much.

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's called PAL because we're all such good friends.

Also this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Along with South Africa and weird parts of Asia. Of course we could all just call it "Europe" (and some do actually) but I think those other folks wouldn't like it much.

Also this.

"Europe" doesn't really work, because as you yourself said it covers several countries outside of Europe and it's almost always a single version/release distributed among all of them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Europe" doesn't really work, because as you yourself said it covers several countries outside of Europe and it's almost always a single version/release distributed among all of them.

Thus why I'm explaining why people still say "PAL"? "Could" in this context implies "possibility that isn't actually viable", as in "we could call it Europe, but we don't" because it's much more complex than that. It's not even my language, man.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
It's like the phrase "Hang up the phone". It's an obsolete phrase that still has meaning.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA people, Badge Arcade is now available for 3DS! It's a free-to-play crane game app that lets you win badges that you can use to customise your 3DS menu; there are microtransactions but if you're good at the game you'll be able to acquire pretty much everything for free and at a decent clip.

PAL people, you'll get Badge Arcade on Friday.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 11, 2015

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm glad this was stealth released so the eShop could die right when it came out

EDIT: "stealth released", as in, surprise! it's out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

It's the Sega console themes. No sign of the Dreamcast and Saturn ones, though.

I'm hoping the reason we haven't gotten the Dreamcast theme is because they're redoing it in the proper regional colours for the US (different shade of Orange) and PAL regions (Blue) :pray:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If they change the Dreamcast theme and take out the disc drive noise I will destroy Sega.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're making the Dreamcast theme an exclusive pack-in with the Dreamcast faceplates and the Segagaga port.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA people, Badge Arcade is now available for 3DS! It's a free-to-play crane game app that lets you win badges that you can use to customise your 3DS menu; there are microtransactions but if you're good at the game you'll be able to acquire pretty much everything for free and at a decent clip.

PAL people, you'll get Badge Arcade on Friday.

However, you can't get the themes without money I don't think.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's scary how good nintendo is at microtransacting. I'm not gonna spend any money on this thing but after getting my free Mario stuff, putting some badges on folders, and then coming back to the arcade to see "Animal Crossing badges are now in stock!!!" I can totally see someone being convinced to throw a couple bucks at it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Important note: there are Rusty's Real Deal Baseball badges, or at least there are in the JP version.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hmm but they give you a theme if you spend $2, you're practically getting the badges for free at that point...

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it doesn't have music so it's a bad theme

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

it doesn't have music so it's a bad theme
What theme is it? Do they say that anywhere?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Oh right, that was the other thread. It's a Link Between Worlds theme. You can sorta see it if you let the bottom ticker scroll through its stuff long enough.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

homeless snail posted:

Hmm but they give you a theme if you spend $2, you're practically getting the badges for free at that point...

Yeah, this caught my attention. If they got a theme i'm really into then sure, i'd buy ten plays as well.

For now i'm happy sticking to trying it once a day on the free practice and hoping to get three plays.

What really sells this to me is badges that launch stuff, I like how the LBW themed MiiPlaza icon looks.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 11, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, this caught my attention. If they got a theme i'm really into then sure, i'd buy ten plays as well.

For now i'm happy sticking to trying it once a day on the free practice and hoping to get three plays.

What really sells this to me is badges that launch stuff, I like how the LBW themed MiiPlaza icon looks.
How hosed up is it though that you can pay money to unlock a variant icon to launch the eshop with

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of November 12):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rodea the Sky Soldier - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Affordable Space Adventures (update)
    Word Party - €12.79 / £11.99 until November 26, standard price €15.99 / £14.99
    Canvaleon - €9.95 / £8.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Word Party (demo)
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until November 26
    Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €15.00/ £13.50 until November 26
    Roving Rogue (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until November 26
    Rock 'n Racing Off Raod DX (Wii U eShop) - €4.95 / £4.45 until December 12

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rodea the Sky Soldier - €39.99 / £34.99
    Horse Life 4 - €29.99 / £24.99
    Hello Kitty & Friends: Rockin' World Tour - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    SMT Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
  • Addonetarium - €0.99 / £0.89
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Badge Arcade - free! (November 13)
    Family Bowling - €4.99 / £4.49
    Battleminer (demo)
    Legend of Dark Witch (demo)
3DS MENU THEMES (November 13)
    Sega Mega Drive - €1.99 / £1.79
    Sega Game Gear - €1.99 / £1.79
    Sega Master System - €1.99 / £1.79
    Sega Mark III - €1.99 / £1.79
    Barbie - €1.49 / £1.39
    Monster High - €1.49 / £1.39
    Hot Wheels - €1.49 / £1.39
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.49 until November 11
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon Plus (3DS) - €19.99 / £14.99 until November 12
    Project X Zone (3DS) - €9.89 / £6.50 until November 12
    One Piece Unlimited World Red (3DS) - €9.99 / £6.99 until November 12
    One Piece Romance Dawn (3DS) - €9.89 / £9.39 until November 12
    Regular Show: Mordecai & Rigbi in 8-bit Land (3DS) - €4.99 / £4.99 until November 12
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures (3DS) - €8.74 / £7.12 until November 12
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £6.99 until November 12
    Ben 10 Omniverse 2 (3DS) - €4.99 / £3.74 until November 12
    Power Rangers Megaforce (3DS) - €9.89 / £9.40 until November 12
    Power Rangers Super Megaforce (3DS) - €9.99 / £7.00 until November 12
    Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle (3DS) - €9.99 / £6.99 until November 12
    Siesta Fiesta (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.99 until November 12

NA update (week of November 12):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rodea the Sky Soldier - $49.99
    Monster High: New Ghoul In School - $29.99 (November 17)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Affordable Space Adventures (update)
    Girls Like Robots - $6.99
    Word Party - $14.99
    Test Your Mind - $2.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX (GBA) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    SDK Paint (Wii U eShop) - $2.99 until November 13
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until November 13
    Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U eShop) - $16.99 until November 26
    Roving Rogue (Wii U eShop) - $5.99 until November 26

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rodea the Sky Soldier - $39.99
    Stella Glow - $49.99 (November 17)
    Monster High: New Ghoul In School - $29.99 (November 17)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Johnny's Payday Panic - $3.99
    Horse Life 4 - $14.99
    Samurai Defender (demo)
3DS MENU THEMES
    Stella Glow: The Witches and Bubu - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - $7.99 until November 18
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker (3DS) - $29.99 until November 23
    Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) - "on sale" from November 16-30
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 (3DS) - "on sale" from November 16-30

The only good version of Rodea seems to be the Wii version, which is only available as a physical pack-in with the Wii U sorta-remake. Oh well.

The Affordable Space Adventures "update" requires you to re-download the entire game, apparently. It contains a new "origin story" with five new extra-tough stages, as well as other minor additions and tweaks. It's also on sale for the first time, if you haven't yet tried it.

There's a Nintendo Direct in about 8 hours, so expect some more deals or surprise releases to slip out soon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

homeless snail posted:

If they change the Dreamcast theme and take out the disc drive noise I will destroy Sega.

Don't forget the loud "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" because you didn't put new batteries in your vmu thing, that's key.

But I doubt you could destroy Sega any harder than Sega has destroyed themselves.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has anybody played the GBA version of Alien Wars? I've played the SNES version a ton but didn't know there was a GBA remake.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

Has anybody played the GBA version of Alien Wars? I've played the SNES version a ton but didn't know there was a GBA remake.

If its like the GBA ver of Ganbare Goemon 1 & 2, not as good as the SNES ver but playable.

Also :

quote:

The designers made changes to many of the features of the original game. The mega bombs and the ability to wield two weapons were removed, but the player can now lock their character's aim like in Contra: Shattered Soldier (allowing the player to move anywhere while shooting at one direction) and is given a choice to revert to their previously held weapon when picking a new one. The top-view stages (Stage 2 and 5) from the original SNES game were replaced with two stages from Contra: Hard Corps (the Military Train and Big Battle stages)

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 12, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jarogue posted:

If its like the GBA ver of Ganbare Goemon 1 & 2, not as good as the SNES ver but playable.

Also :

Boooooo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It removes the top down Mode 7 stages and replaces them with levels from Contra Hard Corps iirc, it's a very weird port.

E: didn't read the quoted part lol

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Do we know what the "on sale" price is going to be for Etrian Odyssey Untold 2? I don't imagine it'll be a very steep discount given how new it is.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How is EO2U, anyway?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there no 3ds sales coming next week or are they waiting to announce stuff on direct?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Are there no 3ds sales coming next week or are they waiting to announce stuff on direct?

Who is going to be able to answer this?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Shigeru Miyamoto

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JesustheDarkLord posted:

A ouija board and the ghost of Iwata.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I checked the shop and there's still shovelware with sales expiring in a few weeks and in December so it's good.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Someone who has seen any of the Directs and knows if Nintendo has done things this way previously.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Fix posted:

How is EO2U, anyway?

The only review I've read is from Jeremy Parish, who has been a big proponent of the series since the DS days. It's pretty positive, but he also gave Final Fantaxy XIII an A+ so... Grain of salt?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You have to download the badge app from the eshop? No wonder I couldn't find it! I thought it was gonna be like the theme shop.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fix posted:

How is EO2U, anyway?

It's good! The main criticism I have of it is that they go way overboard with boss HP in the postgame, and then even further in the DLC. Now that the DLC is no longer free, it's honestly just not even worth it. Everything in the main game though is totally manageable (at least on Standard).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Several countries that are all connected to the same hunk of land and should all be called Europe or whatever other singular name. gently caress off Africa, Asia, and Europe. You're all the same poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You have to download the badge app from the eshop? No wonder I couldn't find it! I thought it was gonna be like the theme shop.

I can understand Nintendo not wanting to push a microtransaction-driven service like that automatically. Would probably get some pushback from concerned parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of November 12):

NA update (week of November 12):

The only good version of Rodea seems to be the Wii version, which is only available as a physical pack-in with the Wii U sorta-remake. Oh well.

The Affordable Space Adventures "update" requires you to re-download the entire game, apparently. It contains a new "origin story" with five new extra-tough stages, as well as other minor additions and tweaks. It's also on sale for the first time, if you haven't yet tried it.

There's a Nintendo Direct in about 8 hours, so expect some more deals or surprise releases to slip out soon.

What makes the Wii version of Rodea better than the Wii U version? The small amount of buzz I've heard about it so far was mediocre, but I'm not sure what platform they were talking about.