Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where's your fracture now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
The regret will eat away at your soul knowing that you could have supported your team better

You could have made their lives easier and been a better friend

If only you had farmed diadem and gotten the gear you needed to be a better friend.

Final Fantasy XIV: The Good, The Bad, and The Diadem

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Samba De Amigo posted:

The regret will eat away at your soul knowing that you could have supported your team better

You could have made their lives easier and been a better friend

If only you had farmed diadem and gotten the gear you needed to be a better friend.

Final Fantasy XIV: The Good, The Bad, and The Diadem

This but for real.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I kind of feel like the Diadem aetheric gear is an implicit apology for Alexander Savage past floor 2 being relatively inaccessible compared to the Binding Coil, but they either underestimated or miscalculated what the high-end aetheric stats would look like on a piece of i210. I don't remember i1~50 aetheric gear being significantly better than equal-level dungeon drops or green crafted gear.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Belzac posted:

This but for real.

I was only half joking, I know where you're coming from to an extent Belzac.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

KaneTW posted:

a) learning and killing fights is usually fun
b) getting BIS gear is fun

a is a much more important than b but that doesn't change the fact that b still exists and now require me to play Diablo 3: FFXIV edition

Well point A hasn't changed for you at all from diadem.

As for point B, I guess it just comes to a difference of opinions here. I like that there levels of reward vs commitment time vs luck.

i200 eso gear is well enough for most. A decent commitment vs reward system with no real luck involved. It's decent rewards at a steady, reliable stream.

i200 Void Ark gear exchanges commitment time with luck. It's a gamble. You may have to dedicate less time to get gear or more based on luck. So at a time to gear ratio, it changes person to person, you sacrifice reliability for a chance at quicker rewards.

i210 eso/gordian gear is great gear at a steady stream but requires a more intense level of skill and commitment.

i210 diadem gear is the ultimate gamble. You (appear to, at least) have a chance to get something that can be better than anything else, but there is no guarantee you will ever see anything.

No one is going to have a full set of i210 overstatted diadem gear by 3.2 unless they are spending months of 8 hours a day in diadem and even then, I doubt the likelihood.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I hope Diadem is expanded every other patch.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

No one is going to have a full set of i210 overstatted diadem gear by 3.2 unless they are spending months of 8 hours a day in diadem and even then, I doubt the likelihood.

Here's the problem: when you're interested in progression raiding, if even one group out there commits to full max-stat i210 by 3.2, then everybody else who wants to stay in the running is obliged to.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Belzac posted:

And now that camaraderie and a nice little asterisk on every 1% wipe because if you had gotten some gear out Diadem that would have been a clear. If you're in a friendly group they won't call you out on it and hey just a few more pulls we'll get it guys but if you're introspective enough to be at that level you'll feel only regret for not wasting a poo poo ton of time grinding the worlds most boring diablo 3 release clone.

my condolences at your inability to have fun with other people in a literal video game unless you're effortlessly crushing all content underfoot

e: belzac why do you even play this game? on even patches you're bitching that the content is too easy, too hard, or mechanically flawed, and on the odd patches you're bitching that the game is invalidating all your efforts in one way or another. you've been doing this nearly from early loving access and it's somehow clear to everyone but yourself that you don't enjoy this game

kojei fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 12, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

And now that camaraderie and a nice little asterisk on every 1% wipe because if you had gotten some gear out Diadem that would have been a clear. If you're in a friendly group they won't call you out on it and hey just a few more pulls we'll get it guys but if you're introspective enough to be at that level you'll feel only regret for not wasting a poo poo ton of time grinding the worlds most boring diablo 3 release clone.

Well then clearly you are a weaker player because your group couldn't get past that last 1% when other groups did. If other groups can do it, why can't you? Are you saying that you're weak? Are you admitting your inferiority?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Well then clearly you are a weaker player because your group couldn't get past that last 1% when other groups did. If other groups can do it, why can't you? Are you saying that you're weak? Are you admitting your inferiority?

Stop.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
My condolences for you having nothing to add the conversation and being a complete idiot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Chairman posted:

Here's the problem: when you're interested in progression raiding, if even one group out there commits to full max-stat i210 by 3.2, then everybody else who wants to stay in the running is obliged to.

When you refer to "progression raiders," are you referring to that tiny fraction of a percentage of people going for world or server firsts? Or just everyone raiding the newest content?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

armoredgorilla posted:

I hope Diadem is expanded every other patch.
I'd like for them to add more land masses and have it randomized a bit, for variety, even if they add new Diadem "zones". Placement, monster types, whatever. Shake it up.

Edit: Per run.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm sorry I don't suck up to the dev team and think everything they do is perfect and flawless. You're allowed to play and enjoy flawed things and point out their flaws.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Chairman posted:

Say melded raid gear is stronger once 2.2 hits and its savage mode gets unlocked a few weeks after it comes out. How would the Diadem farming (which now turns into an easier way of getting V materias) any different than just hording money all the time to afford materias and using them on overmelds to get a leg up against the competition?

Im guessing that without the 2.2 changes Diadem is just an incomplete part of a puzzle, it sorts of needs it for everything to come together but introducing the raid gear changes right now might break the encounter difficulty and they dont want to do that yet in this cycle. Once 2.3 hits with whatever updates Diadem is going to have, people wont be as angry because it already takes into account melded raid gears being stronger than anything the diadem could drop.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You have to beat the raids to get the gear that is better than anything Diadem could drop. The easiest way to prepare for these raids is to get the gear. That's the problem. Even if they introduced the materia changes for 3.2 in 3.1 and applied it to eso and savage gear the Diadem gear would still be better. Just less better.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If any of you dudes were crazy enough to get the three-star crafting books before the expansion and can make the Zodiac items lemme know what your name is because I'd like to throw some money at you to make them for me. Pierson Engin in game or here. Money for nothing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Say melded raid gear is stronger once 2.2 hits and its savage mode gets unlocked a few weeks after it comes out. How would the Diadem farming (which now turns into an easier way of getting V materias) any different than just hording money all the time to afford materias and using them on overmelds to get a leg up against the competition?

Im guessing that without the 2.2 changes Diadem is just an incomplete part of a puzzle, it sorts of needs it for everything to come together but introducing the raid gear changes right now might break the encounter difficulty and they dont want to do that yet in this cycle. Once 2.3 hits with whatever updates Diadem is going to have, people wont be as angry because it already takes into account melded raid gears being stronger than anything the diadem could drop.

Unfortunately, not only is that not a guarantee, but any situation where it does occur is bad for the game in the long term. For a badly-statted item to beat out a perfect-statted Diadem item (using the known valid weights), it would still need to be i220+, and Alex Savage gear being worse than the new preraid gear is something I imagine very few people actually want from 3.2.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Pierson posted:

If any of you dudes were crazy enough to get the three-star crafting books before the expansion and can make the Zodiac items lemme know what your name is because I'd like to throw some money at you to make them for me. Pierson Engin in game or here. Money for nothing.

FWIW these were incredibly easy to get with the catch-up gear they put out in subsequent 2.x patches, so there should be a lot of people who can craft the Zeta items for you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Niton posted:

Unfortunately, not only is that not a guarantee, but any situation where it does occur is bad for the game in the long term. For a badly-statted item to beat out a perfect-statted Diadem item (using the known valid weights), it would still need to be i220+, and Alex Savage gear being worse than the new preraid gear is something I imagine very few people actually want from 3.2.

But how many perfect-statted Diadem items are people going to reasonably get?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
The materia changes will allow you to put mainstat in your guaranteed slot and overmeld secondaries according to the last live letter.

Gordian and esoteric pieces will blow diadem out of the water, because you can't meld onto aetheric gear supposedly

Mordiceius posted:

You're retarded

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

You could probably get a pretty good number of them over the next 3-4 months before the next patch.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Stat caps still apply. You won't be able to meld Str on a Str piece as it's already capped.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mordiceius posted:

And how is it any different from the randomness of having gear drop in Savage that you already have and can't make use of. There's an element of randomness in either drop method that can gently caress over a world first raid team.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Virulence posted:

You could probably get a pretty good number of them over the next 3-4 months before the next patch.

I think that would require an unreasonable time commitment.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Belzac posted:

Stat caps still apply. You won't be able to meld Str on a Str piece as it's already capped.

Yoshi specifically mentioned melding main stat to gear so I think stat caps are getting changes with the materia overhaul unless something was hosed up in translation

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I think that would require an unreasonable time commitment.

You could probably just do 2-4 lockouts a week over the next few months and do pretty okay, especially after people get the hang of it and start optimizing NM spawns per run so you're getting 10-15 each lockout.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Doublestep posted:

Yoshi specifically mentioned melding main stat to gear so I think stat caps are getting changes with the materia overhaul unless something was hosed up in translation

He was talking about accessories.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Doublestep posted:

My presumption is that, as always, the main applicability of main-stat melding will remain in the context of "now your accessories can have main-stat and vit for the low low price of countless millions of gil".

Just slightly less countless if you can only do it in guaranteed slots. So at least the only materia you're exploding are secondary stats. (These will consequently cost more, of course.)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Doublestep posted:

yoship posted:

Despite the fact that weapons and armor have already reached the maximum main stats, it will no longer be possible to advance materia meld armor and accessories made by crafters with STR, DEX, VIT, INT, MND, and PIE materia. However, this doesn’t mean that advanced materia melding will no longer be possible. It will still be possible to meld materia into the slots that are available on equipment. Moving forward, our plan is to make it so advanced materia melding is used to boost sub-stats.

It sounds like you might still be able to meld main stat gear to raid drops but with that "our focus is to make it so materia is for substats" it's hard to say what nuances were lost in translation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

You're being a complete rear end in a top hat. Please stop posting.

But you know, I'll come out and admit it - I do feel inferior, in the sense that I'm not as good as I could be. Before diadem, I was used to stepping into a raid with my friends and being reassured by the fact that my gear was the best it could possibly be at that point, so that all that mattered was my skill. If we wiped, it was because I screwed something up, and not because I didn't spend 1000 hours grinding for an impossibly perfect piece of gear. But now with diadem, that reassurance is gone. I either have to submit to the hellgrind, or be insecure in the fact that I might be letting my friends down by not doing so. I switched from paladin to warrior halfway through 3.0 because my class selection was actually hampering my team. Until I got warrior leveled and geared up, I felt horrible about the fact that I hadn't thought things through and chose a weak class. It's not fun to have that gnawing in the back of your mind, and having it be about whether you grind diadem or not is absolutely not healthy.

I know you've fully demonstrated that you're an idiot who can't understand that other people have problems that you don't. But please try to understand what people here are actually saying instead of trying to get some sick burns on those sperglord poopsockers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Chairman posted:

Here's the solution: Story mode alex 5-8 will drop meldable i210 or maybe even higher gear and savage won't be available until two weeks later, making diadem gear a complete non-issue.

People are blowing this out of proportion for absolutely no reason, because I very much doubt yoship will scrap one of the better ideas he had: the time delay between raid patch and savage to open so people can prepare at their own pace.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Google didn't find this on the OF or r/ffxiv. I'm confused, you're not serious are you?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Did we not all learn a lesson from the Mighty Ducks, where that raid team wiped by 1% and raid leader Emilio Estivez was devastated until he learned from the B team he was coaching that it could have been worse, they could have wiped by 2%?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Truga posted:

Here's the solution: Story mode alex 5-8 will drop meldable i210 or maybe even higher gear and savage won't be available until two weeks later, making diadem gear a complete non-issue.

People are blowing this out of proportion for absolutely no reason, because I very much doubt yoship will scrap one of the better ideas he had: the time delay between raid patch and savage to open so people can prepare at their own pace.

You're making a lot of assumptions. Especially after Yoship has stated he's not sure if Story/Savage will be making a comeback.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Google didn't find this on the OF or r/ffxiv. I'm confused, you're not serious are you?

I guess it's hard to have sarcasm come through here.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The raid story actually being accessible to the masses was very well received, even if the difficulty tuning of savage (at least 3 and 4) was not.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Belzac posted:

Especially after Yoship has stated he's not sure if Story/Savage will be making a comeback.

I didn't know he said that. That sounds like a bad idea to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:v: works pretty good for sarcasm

• Locked thread